Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
I just got a new 2018 Mac mini yesterday, and I'm having this issue. Fresh MacOS Mojave install. I shut down the Mac mini, and it just starts up by itself, and gives me this error upon boot:

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.2 (16P2542)","timestamp":"2018-12-30 22:50:34.59 +0000","incident_id":"2742029F-5C02-446E-B103-653293A5204A"}

How on earth does one fix this?

You fix it by returning it and buying something else.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
It could be but I still think it's Apple trying to interface the T2 to the Intel processor without having design control over both chips.

This doesn’t make any sense, unless you mean to say Apple basically botched the T2 implementation.

Every Mac contains hundreds of chips that Apple doesn’t have design control over. It’s Apple’s job to design the computer in such a way that each chip works together properly. That’s why they have specifications for each chip.

Plenty of other manufacturers make computers with Intel chips without having design control over them and they don’t have these issues, nor do they exist in pre T2-equiped Macs. If anything, you could say it’s because Apple has design control over the T2 that these peoplems have arisen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It could be but I still think it's Apple trying to interface the T2 to the Intel processor without having design control over both chips.
Control over other components is not the cause of the T2, its apple's design, and/or execution of the T2 architecture. Lets not shift the blame to not having the details of the intel CPUs when they added a proprietary chip to something that was working fine.
[doublepost=1546257095][/doublepost]
An ARM designed by Apple would most likely include the T2 functionality.
I'm not getting your point, the T2 is an Apple designed ARM processor. Its really not that much different then the CPU found in the watches, which is a lower powered varient to Apple's other idevices.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm not getting your point, the T2 is an Apple designed ARM processor.

I probably expressed it poorly.

I think that Apple will put the T2 functionality of the existing T2 ARM into the next generation ARM designed to run in the laptops (i.e. one chip to do everything).

This doesn’t make any sense, unless you mean to say Apple basically botched the T2 implementation.

In the end, the fault would be on Apple.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think that Apple will put the T2 functionality of the existing T2 ARM into the next generation ARM designed to run in the laptops (i.e. one chip to do everything).
Maybe its my ignorance, but there is no hardcoded functionality in the T2 that is not already in the Apple's Ax CPUs and as it boils down, the T2 is just a CPU that controls certain features. Again I could be misunderstanding the details, but it's my thinking the T2 is just a CPU nothing more, nothing less. The problems are due to the T2 interfacing with the logicboard in such a way that is causing instability. The OS that is running the T2 specifically.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Maybe its my ignorance, but there is no hardcoded functionality in the T2 that is not already in the Apple's Ax CPUs and as it boils down, the T2 is just a CPU that controls certain features. Again I could be misunderstanding the details, but it's my thinking the T2 is just a CPU nothing more, nothing less. The problems are due to the T2 interfacing with the logicboard in such a way that is causing instability. The OS that is running the T2 specifically.

I think it's a matter of semantics. That's why I specified the functionality (programming) in the T2 chip (security implementation, etc).

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I think it's a matter of semantics. That's why I specified the functionality (programming) in the T2 chip (security implementation, etc).
On an ARM(only) Mac, the security enclave can be done like how it is on an iPhone, just a processor core SoC onto the main A series chip.

Reactions: Plutonius

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I've been following this thread almost daily since the number of posts was in the 30's, waiting and hoping for a fix before I took the plunge and bought my first MacBook Pro. I've had other Macs for years: 3 iMacs beginning with a Grape iMac, and before that a Mac tower, a Mac clone, a Mac Centris, and a Mac SE/30. My last iMac was early 2009 so it could only run El Capitan and was slow--time to upgrade and I could use the mobility. On a gamble that the number of affected MacBook Pros is relatively small, I decided to go ahead. 10 days ago I received my new 2018 15" MBP i9/32/Vega 20/2TB, with Mojave 10.14.1 preinstalled. I did a clean install of all my third-party software.

The only issue I've encountered is when I leave the MBP for several hours with the lid open, as it does a long Time Machine or Retrospect backup. The display turns off after a few minutes as expected, and the Mac keeps working on the backup. When I return several hours later, the Mac's display is still off and the Mac is quiet, as if asleep. The external hard drive (backup destination) is idle. The Mac is plugged into power. The only peripheral besides power is the hard drive, connected via a USB-C to miniUSB cable.

If I tap the trackpad or the keys the Mac will not wake; the display remains dark. Or, perhaps it seems to start to wake (I hear quiet fan noise, or the display backlight seems to turn on, or the Touch Bar lights up) but in all cases the display stays dark. Closing and opening the lid had no effect. Waiting a minute didn't help. This morning I thought maybe my login prompt was hiding behind the dark display, so I entered my password, and few moments later keystrokes led to beeps as if I had actually logged in. As the display would never wake up, I had to force a reboot. This happened 3 times over the past week. After restarting there was no crash report.

I've reset the SMU about 6 times in the past week, trying to solve this and other more minor glitches. I've reset the NVRAM/PRAM a couple times. I called Apple Support and at the rep's recommendation I reinstalled Mojave yesterday before the same problem occurred a third time.

A few minutes ago, I checked /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, finding numerous (23) reports, most not mentioning BridgeOS, or reporting the macOS version followed by the BridgeOS version, without seeming to indicate a problem due to BridgeOS. Then I opened the ProxiedDevice-Bridge folder. There were 2 reports there, both were created about the same time I last woke the Mac and encountered the dark display problem. Here's an excerpt from each report:

File name: ResetCounter-2018-12-03-093904.ips
Contents (entire):
{"bug_type":"115","timestamp":"2018-12-03 09:39:04.51 +0000","name":"Reset count","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.1 (16P2088)","incident_id":"ABA8D8AE-2F51-4836-A980-4D10BA91EBB5"}
Incident Identifier: ABA8D8AE-2F51-4836-A980-4D10BA91EBB5
CrashReporter Key: c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001
Date: 2018-12-03 09:39:04.50 +0000
Reset count: 0
Boot failure count: 1
Boot faults: force_off
Boot stage: 255
Boot app: 0

File name:corespeechd-2018-12-03-093904.ips
Contents (excerpt):
{"app_name":"corespeechd","app_version":"","bug_type":"109","timestamp":"2018-12-03 09:39:04.62 +0000","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.1 (16P2088)","incident_id":"00A9C35F-D117-4620-801D-26DBB2DFA2DE","slice_uuid":"3c217d97-157a-3a65-a126-64eaa5fcacca","build_version":"","is_first_party":true,"share_with_app_devs":false,"name":"corespeechd"}
and later in the same file:
Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

So, would these qualify as BridgeOS KP's? The second log does seem like a KP.

I haven't encountered any KPs while waking from sleep in other situations, like when I close the lid and leave the Mac sleeping overnight, or while working. Only the above 3 situations required me to force a reboot.

Given Apple's holiday return policy, I still have a little more than a month before it's too late to return it. I don't often do hours-long backups (only the first backup is long) and since long backups are the only time I've encountered this problem so far, I might not return it on this basis alone.

I wonder if this problem would have been circumvented if I had changed the Energy Saver prefs to "prevent the computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off.".

Thanks for the detailed post. I just had my first encounter with what could be a KP, though not convinced. I verified by checking "Library>Logs>DiagnosticReports>ProxiedDevice-Bridge" directory. I exhibited the same exact symptoms as you, keeping the display opened, and when I returned around an hour or so later, that's when I experienced the issues. Closing and opening the lid did not solve the issue of a dark display that I couldn't get to turn back on. I actually was using Screens to control my Mac via my iPad prior to returning to use my Macbook. I was forced to hold down TouchID button to force a reboot.

I had the same bug_type":"115 as well, though I did not have the same second log as you had. The file name: "ResetCounter-2018-12-31-183546".

Also, to your theory about the "Prevent the computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" setting in Energy Prefs: my crash occurred when I was plugged into Power, and hence this feature was toggled On, unlike in your experience. So, I don't think this is something related to the crash. Appreciate your detailed post though - I believe yours was the only other bug_type":"115 in the thread and we experienced the exact same symptoms.

As many of us know, there are all sorts of bugs dating back years related to Macs waking from sleep, especially when connected to peripherals i.e. displays. So hopefully this is just a one-off occurrence related to a bug that's actually related to a MacOS bug versus something related explicitly to a T2 'Panic'. My rationale is this would be a function handled by the T2 (hence the crash report) but not a crash caused as a result of a T2-related issue. Hopefully this is a one-off :)

FWIW: I have a 2018 15 Inch MBP i9 with 10.14.2 installed.

Last edited:

lnikj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
RAM & CPU maxxed 15” MBP arriving tomorrow & want to quickly identify whether it is a dud.

What’s my best bet to try to incite a KP in it? I will have a USB C -> A adapter with it but no other peripheral connectivity.

Cheers.

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
RAM & CPU maxxed 15” MBP arriving tomorrow & want to quickly identify whether it is a dud.

What’s my best bet to try to incite a KP in it? I will have a USB C -> A adapter with it but no other peripheral connectivity.

Cheers.
Some things come to mind you can try. Enable FileVault, confirm Secure Boot is set to Full Security, use an external high res monitor, make it Sleep/Wake alot (this has been the big one), check the logs /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, update the OS if you have an older or unpatched one. If you hear Steve's voice all is good, if not, get your notepad and receipts ready and phone charged.

lnikj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Some things come to mind you can try. Enable FileVault, confirm Secure Boot is set to Full Security, use an external high res monitor, make it Sleep/Wake alot (this has been the big one), check the logs /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, update the OS if you have an older or unpatched one. If you hear Steve's voice all is good, if not, get your notepad and receipts ready and phone charged.

Thanks unglued. This is the fifth Powerbook/MBP I have had, with each one lasting me 5-6 years. On all but one occasion the first copy has been straight back, the most recent two occasions because I have been unhappy with uneven backlighting. This is also the first one I have bought new in 10 years; I have bought refurbs but clearly with the refurb store flooded with high end models (for the first time ever as far as I know) a refurb is not currently a sensible purchase.

I'm fully prepared for it to go back. The only things I will be putting on it in the first instance is audio & photographic software to test its performance and screen to the limits.

Cheers.

AMKassirMD

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
I received my new 2018 MacBook Pro i9 32MB [edit: 32GB] Vega 20 [and 2TB] on Black Friday, November 23. From nearly the beginning, I've encountered several failures to wake from sleep, requiring a reboot. I never received a crash report...until December 21.

On this day, while connected to LG Ultrafine 5K monitor, I chose Sleep from the Apple menu. (All previous times didn't involve the LG.) The MacBook Pro was in “clamshell” mode. I disconnected the Mac from the display. After a couple of hours, I opened the MacBook, which restarted. For the first time I was presented with a problem report, which seems to indicate a Bridge OS kernel panic. The report is copied below. I also submitted the report automatically to Apple. Previous wake-from-sleep issues did not result in an automatic restart; rather the Mac was unresponsive and I had to force a shutdown. Perhaps this automatic restart is necessary for the crash report to be available.

Here are the first few lines of the report:

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.2 (16P2542)","timestamp":"2018-12-22 03:03:01.40 +0000","incident_id":"3E28D9BB-8A64-4F8B-8582-F76C32BB3479"}

{

"build" : "Bridge OS 3.2 (16P2542)",

"product" : "iBridge2,7",

I have an update. I was able to reproduce this Bridge OS KP 3 out of 3 times. I’ve been in touch with a senior Apple Advisor. She had me do a data capture using an Apple app and sent the info to an Apple Engineer. I should hear more next week.

Knocking on wood, the Bridge OS KPs I’ve had have all occurred when waking from sleep. It’s inconvenient but not enough for me to return the MacBook Pro. My holiday return window closes in 2 days and I’ve decided not to return it. I’ll keep working with Apple Support. If the KPs increase in frequency or start occurring while I’m working then I’ll try to get a new replacement under AppleCare. I’ve been working with Apple Support on this problem since December 5.

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
So, I'm in the position where I've got a 2018 MBP15, and a 2018 Mac mini. I bought the MBP to replace an older MBP that became too unreliable for work (it keeps eating fans at a rate of 2/year) as a stop-gap solution until a new desktop was released. Upon release, I bought a BTO mini to be my daily machine, the MBP was to become a travel/spare (i.e in case of hardware faults).

Sure enough, around Christmas the mini crashed and showed the infamous T2 error. I chatted to apple support, they suggested a reinstall, i started that, and it crashed halfway through installation - i chatted to them again and they agreed it should go in to be looked at.

I took it in to an authorised service centre here (Thailand) with a printed page explaining what had happened, and the Apple Support case ID. They accepted it, and seemed to spend a lot of time recording details from the printout.

When I got it back, it turns out they just did a reinstall, and I noticed the original ticket just had: "Fault description: software error" (in Thai, hence I hadn't noticed it when dropping it off). Great so they've solved nothing.

While they had the machine, what do you think happened? The MBP (which took on the role of "spare" pretty well - despite having only 16GB vs the mini's 64GB memory) has started crashing, and upon bootup shows the same T2 error.

Without reading through 120 something pages of replies can someone summarise any approach that has worked at first-party Apple stores (it's a PITA to get to from here, but I'm sick of the "ignore what we're told, do as little as possible to get this thing out the door" approach of the 3rd parties here) to get a decent response? I've got at least 2 hard crashes now on each machine, but one without any log of it (it was during the re-installation).

The next problem is which order to try and get them replaced. I need a machine for work, and neither one has crashed so often that it's unusable.

The mini is BTO, so likely to take longer for a swap, but it also realistically doesn't run 2 4K displays as well as the MBP, and I haven't got an eGPU yet (I've also given up trying to order from local resellers of US brands or the more available Chinese brands for accessories). The MBP is just an off-the-shelf model so if it's to be replaced they almost certainly have stock in hand.

Maybe I should just take both with me, explain the situation, and hope that having spent $US7K on Apple hardware they'll be willing to swap the MBP on the spot and order a replacement mini?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Without reading through 120 something pages of replies can someone summarise any approach that has worked at first-party Apple stores (it's a PITA to get to from here, but I'm sick of the "ignore what we're told, do as little as possible to get this thing out the door" approach of the 3rd parties here) to get a decent response? I've got at least 2 hard crashes now on each machine, but one without any log of it (it was during the re-installation).
From what I understand, what has happened is this. Apple has included two separate processors, the Core i5/i7/i9 and the T2, in these machines - the T2 is basically an A11 chip found in older iOS devices and it runs a modified version of watchOS. BridgeOS is just what its name implies, it is intended to bridge the gap between an ARM processor (the T2) and an x86_64 processor (the Core i5/i7/i9 series) and BridgeOS isn't up to the task. This problem has been going on for a year now (started with the iMac) and that tells me that either (a) this is a bigger problem and requires more work than Apple is letting on, or (b) Apple doesn't know how to fix the problem.

My question is why do these machines actually need two separate CPU's and two separate operating systems? Clearly this has turned out to be detrimental for users.

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
From what I understand, what has happened is this. Apple has included two separate processors, the Core i5/i7/i9 and the T2, in these machines - the T2 is basically an A11 chip found in older iOS devices and it runs a modified version of watchOS. BridgeOS is just what its name implies, it is intended to bridge the gap between an ARM processor (the T2) and an x86_64 processor (the Core i5/i7/i9 series) and BridgeOS isn't up to the task. This problem has been going on for a year now (started with the iMac) and that tells me that either (a) this is a bigger problem and requires more work than Apple is letting on, or (b) Apple doesn't know how to fix the problem.

My question is why do these machines actually need two separate CPU's and two separate operating systems? Clearly this has turned out to be detrimental for users.
The way development works is that you often don't know how to fix a given problem, until you figure out the solution. Apple has no excuses. They have access to all of the hardware and human expertise necessary to figure this out. Why they haven't? I'm taking a wild guess here, but I would suspect that the problem is a very fundamental problem which can't be bypassed without essentially disabling the T2, and writing an entirely new software stack to pick up the slack. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but if the problem was something they could fix easily, you'd think they would have done it by now. Ages ago, in fact. But, proper testing would most definitely have caught this issue, considering how common it seems to be in day to day usage.

P.S. I looked for this thread because a few minutes ago, I had another BridgeOS crash. Joy.
[doublepost=1546795661][/doublepost]
I’m aware of what the T2 is/does.

I was specifically asking if anyone has worked out a good approach to get apple support staff to acknowledge it’s a fault and replace the machine.
The issue is that this seems to be an issued triggered by certain usage patterns, and unless you're willing to take the time to find a usage pattern which doesn't cause the thing to crash (mostly involving reduced T2 usage), replacing the computer probably won't fix it.

Reactions: Never mind

zionicion

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
I've had Apple "repair" my laptop three time so far and I still get the issue while using my CalDigit hub. Firmware Version: 34.6 on the Thunderbolt

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The issue is that this seems to be an issued triggered by certain usage patterns, and unless you're willing to take the time to find a usage pattern which doesn't cause the thing to crash (mostly involving reduced T2 usage), replacing the computer probably won't fix it.

Reading through the thread, most people were able to solve their T2 problem by getting a replacement. For some people, multiple replacements worked while for for some others , they weren't able to find a replacement that worked.

I still believe that it is most likely a T2 hardware issue.

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
Reading through the thread, most people were able to solve their T2 problem by getting a replacement. For some people, multiple replacements worked while for for some others , they weren't able to find a replacement that worked.

I still believe that it is most likely a T2 hardware issue.
I'm always skeptical of people who tell me something's fixed, when they're not sure what the actual problem was in the first place. For all we know, they had a panic immediately after reporting it "fixed", or perhaps they just haven't had one yet. I've managed to go an entire week or two without a panic, and sometimes I get them a few times a week, or even a couple in one day. You can't verify that the problem's fixed, if you don't know what the problem was to start with.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm always skeptical of people who tell me something's fixed, when they're not sure what the actual problem was in the first place. For all we know, they had a panic immediately after reporting it "fixed", or perhaps they just haven't had one yet. I've managed to go an entire week or two without a panic, and sometimes I get them a few times a week, or even a couple in one day. You can't verify that the problem's fixed, if you don't know what the problem was to start with.

I can agree with that except, reading through the post, many people have not got a T2 error since replacement. If people don't get a replacement, the only sure way of not getting a T2 error would be not getting a Mac with a T2 chip in the first place.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
this is a bigger problem and requires more work than Apple is letting on, or (b) Apple doesn't know how to fix the problem.

It's called mucking up the works. They simply added another possible point of failure to add features that no one was asking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.