Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aktivomat

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2019
Hello! I'm quite confused and helpless because I really don't know if I'm affected by this issue or if it's just a "periphery/software problem" in my case, because I only get this issue when producing music with ableton live. But the "result" is exactly what is described in all those "Bridge-OS-error-threads". Suddenly the fans blowing high for a short moment and then the MacBook (2018 i9) restarts with following "full-panic"-error (located in "ProxiedDevice-Bridge"-folder):

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.2 (16P2542)","timestamp":"2019-01-14 16:48:19.14 +0000","incident_id":"8C44C199-72DC-4D16-8A49-B7B08EE0AAC1"}

Is this error-message "proof enough" for this issue? Because Apple support says if it's only in Ableton then it could be some software or periphery (CalDigit dock, External Synthesizer etc.) problem as well. Quite frustrating answer for an musician who needs this periphery.

I never had this problem while the MacBook was in sleep-modus or with any other program and I can't reproduce it somehow with other programs. Further I never had this problem with my old 2014 MacBook Pro. So I really don't know what to do. Should I insist on a replacement MacBook because of this error message?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

elnbrg

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2018
Hello! I'm quite confused and helpless because I really don't know if I'm affected by this issue or if it's just a "periphery/software problem" in my case, because I only get this issue when producing music with ableton live. But the "result" is exactly what is described in all those "Bridge-OS-error-threads". Suddenly the fans blowing high for a short moment and then the MacBook (2018 i9) restarts with following "full-panic"-error (located in "ProxiedDevice-Bridge"-folder):

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.2 (16P2542)","timestamp":"2019-01-14 16:48:19.14 +0000","incident_id":"8C44C199-72DC-4D16-8A49-B7B08EE0AAC1"}

Is this error-message "proof enough" for this issue? Because Apple support says if it's only in Ableton then it could be some software or periphery (CalDigit dock, External Synthesizer etc.) problem as well. Quite frustrating answer for an musician who needs this periphery.

I never had this problem while the MacBook was in sleep-modus or with any other program and I can't reproduce it somehow with other programs. Further I never had this problem with my old 2014 MacBook Pro. So I really don't know what to do. Should I insist on a replacement MacBook because of this error message?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Do you have FileVault enabled on your Mac?

aktivomat

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2019
Do you have FileVault enabled on your Mac?

No. Never FileVault enabled. And I did a fresh install (of course with all those musician stuff i need) with this machine. Further I'm still on High Sierra because not all music software I need is already Mojave compatible.

elnbrg

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2018
No. Never FileVault enabled. And I did a fresh install (of course with all those musician stuff i need) with this machine. Further I'm still on High Sierra because not all music software I need is already Mojave compatible.
Is Power Nap enabled (Preferences > Energy Saver)? If yes, try to disable for both Battery and Power Adapter. Some users reported this could be the cause of the issue.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Apps compiled using Microsoft's compliers over the last few years don't compile to Intel machine code -- they compile to an "IL" (Intermediate Language). This IL code is translated on demand at run-time, so the underlying processor is irrelevant. Swift code can also do this as well. So most (all?) Apps on the App Store will probably run natively on an ARM at launch...

That's been a promise since TAOS launched in 1995. It's also the promise of Java. However, it's always come with limitations. So I'm intrigued, but skeptical :)

v1rus

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2019
I an so confused. I got my first MacBook Pro 2018 13' in 2018.12.17 and after a week I had this issue (crash caused by "bridge os") when I wake up my Mac from sleeping. Then I contacted with Apple to get a replacement.
Now the new one just crashed with the same reason after I got it for six days.
I hope this is not a hardware issue. It only happens when I connect my Mac with Dell-2417.
This stuff really disappointed me.:(

Reactions: zionicion

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
That's been a promise since TAOS launched in 1995. It's also the promise of Java. However, it's always come with limitations. So I'm intrigued, but skeptical :)
I hear you, but IL is not cross-platform, just "cross-processor". And it has been in practice for years. Any app written in C# on Windows is already IL, which is the vast majority of code written in the the last five+ years. Like I said, all existing apps in the Windows Store work on Intel and ARM processors, today.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I an so confused. I got my first MacBook Pro 2018 13' in 2018.12.17 and after a week I had this issue (crash caused by "bridge os") when I wake up my Mac from sleeping. Then I contacted with Apple to get a replacement.
Now the new one just crashed with the same reason after I got it for six days.
I hope this is not a hardware issue. It only happens when I connect my Mac with Dell-2417.
This stuff really disappointed me.:(

Sorry to hear that. I would return it and get a replacement.
Your other option is to hang onto it and hope that there is a software fix of some kind. But this isn't a new issue, as you can tell looking at the thread. The T2 chip came out in mid/late 2017 I believe, so it's not like Apple hasn't had any time to review the issue. It just hasn't been fixed (yet?).

It's difficult to say how large the issue is, but if your second unit is also having problems that indicates that it's a pretty significant issue. I wouldn't hang onto it. I would return and replace.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I hear you, but IL is not cross-platform, just "cross-processor". And it has been in practice for years. Any app written in C# on Windows is already IL, which is the vast majority of code written in the the last five+ years. Like I said, all existing apps in the Windows Store work on Intel and ARM processors, today.
Thanks for pointing that out to me. It seems like I haven't followed that trend close enough, but I have to say I'm quite impressed that Microsoft (of all companies...) pulled that off. Of course, not all apps have already been rewritten in C#, but if those that are can run transparently on Windows ARM and Windows Intel, that's quite a feat.
BTW, TAOS was also not cross-platform: it was an operating system that featured application executables in an IL, translated into the actual processor's machine code at load time.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
There are developers on the other side of our building, entirely MacOS based. I know one who has a 2018 MBP and has been using it hard, connected to 2 monitors and using the trackpad and keyboard of the MBP. So far they are reporting NO issues. Others have a 2017 MBP and also report no issues.

Specifically I asked about keyboard issues and the people running 2017 and 2018 MBP systems are not reporting any issues and they are not using external keyboards.

Just creates more confusion than it helps. Only not all units of 2017 and 2018 have issues.

Last edited:

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
What's the T2 firmware on the latest Mojave beta? Any change from previous?
You ask, I deliver. Just installed B4.

Current Public Release
Boot ROM Version: 220.230.16.0.0 (iBridge: 16.16.2542.0.0,0)

Beta 4
Boot ROM Version: 220.240.2.0.0 (iBridge: 16.16.3132.5.1,0)

Current Public Release
Model Name: Apple T2 Security Chip
Firmware Version: 16P2542

Beta 4
Model Name: Apple T2 Security Chip
Firmware Version: 16P53132a

lnikj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Day 14 and no kernel panic but I am just wiping it and sending it back anyway.

Audio pops and clicks and flickering Vega 20. Apple tech admitted on the phone that their internal forum is full of T2 stuff that they are "trying to fix".

When I told him about the Vega 20 problem he actually advised me to return it for a refund.

I can't tell you how disappointed I feel and how angry I am with Apple.

I need a laptop and after 17 years, and 5 Apple ones, I am now going to have to buy a Windows one.

What happened to "it just works"?

Last edited:

AMKassirMD

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
I have an update. I was able to reproduce this Bridge OS KP 3 out of 3 times. I’ve been in touch with a senior Apple Advisor. She had me do a data capture using an Apple app and sent the info to an Apple Engineer. I should hear more next week.

Knocking on wood, the Bridge OS KPs I’ve had have all occurred when waking from sleep. It’s inconvenient but not enough for me to return the MacBook Pro. My holiday return window closes in 2 days and I’ve decided not to return it. I’ll keep working with Apple Support. If the KPs increase in frequency or start occurring while I’m working then I’ll try to get a new replacement under AppleCare. I’ve been working with Apple Support on this problem since December 5.

The Apple Engineer had me create a new partition and install Mojave, and then see if I encountered problems on this pristine installation. I had two occasions when the MBP wouldn't wake from sleep, although without a kernel panic report. Once this approach also failed to resolve all my wake-from-sleep issues, the Apple Advisor said the next step it to take my MBP in for service. This problem began within 2 weeks of owning the MBP and after 6 weeks of working with Apple support, I'm past the return window and I have to take my laptop in for service when it's less than 2 months old. I asked Apple Support to replace it with a new one, but they refused and said that Apple will only replace it if they cannot repair it. I'm thinking that almost nothing in the MPB can be replaced (maybe with the exception of the trackpad) so perhaps a replacement will be in the cards. Anyway, I'll be taking my MBP to the Apple Store genius to see what they have to say.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
The Apple Engineer had me create a new partition and install Mojave, and then see if I encountered problems on this pristine installation. I had two occasions when the MBP wouldn't wake from sleep, although without a kernel panic report. Once this approach also failed to resolve all my wake-from-sleep issues, the Apple Advisor said the next step it to take my MBP in for service. This problem began within 2 weeks of owning the MBP and after 6 weeks of working with Apple support, I'm past the return window and I have to take my laptop in for service when it's less than 2 months old. I asked Apple Support to replace it with a new one, but they refused and said that Apple will only replace it if they cannot repair it. I'm thinking that almost nothing in the MPB can be replaced (maybe with the exception of the trackpad) so perhaps a replacement will be in the cards. Anyway, I'll be taking my MBP to the Apple Store genius to see what they have to say.
I’m letting mine run on the new beta for a few days. On the first crash I’m going to have to send it in for some kind of service. The worst part is that as a dev I’m relatively locked into the ecosystem. I’m going to have to buy a new machine to use while mine is in for service and then return it. And while I know that is completely ridiculous, it is exactly what the Apple senior advisor told me to do. How sad is that?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

If you keep taking it back to them, they will most likely replace it (i.e. wear Apple service out).

Be sure to document all they have done on it and all the errors you have been getting.

Note - This is why I highly recommend that people exchange their new MacBook Pro within the 14 day window if they find anything wrong with it.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I’m letting mine run on the new beta for a few days. On the first crash I’m going to have to send it in for some kind of service. The worst part is that as a dev I’m relatively locked into the ecosystem. I’m going to have to buy a new machine to use while mine is in for service and then return it. And while I know that is completely ridiculous, it is exactly what the Apple senior advisor told me to do. How sad is that?
So it'd probably be wise to wait until the 2019 MBP is released and purchase that one?

Reactions: iZeljko

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
So it'd probably be wise to wait until the 2019 MBP is released and purchase that one?
Right now, there are only two machines that Apple sells that don’t have the T2 chip that is causing all of these issues...the current iMac, and the MacBook. However, everyone should fully expect that to change whenever they are refreshed.

So far, running the latest beta, my MbP seems to be waking up from sleep faster (with the screens connected), and I’ve not seen one crash. I’ve also purposefully let it go to sleep and then wake it up while I’m doing things around the house, or reading, etc. As I mentioned above I’m going to run it this weekend and see how it goes. Maybe, just maybe they have the issues resolved. The firmware builds that I posted above are many, many, build numbers above what is currently shipping, so it’s clear that Apple has been working on it.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Right now, there are only two machines that Apple sells that don’t have the T2 chip that is causing all of these issues...the current iMac, and the MacBook. However, everyone should fully expect that to change whenever they are refreshed.

So far, running the latest beta, my MbP seems to be waking up from sleep faster (with the screens connected), and I’ve not seen one crash. I’ve also purposefully let it go to sleep and then wake it up while I’m doing things around the house, or reading, etc. As I mentioned above I’m going to run it this weekend and see how it goes. Maybe, just maybe they have the issues resolved. The firmware builds that I posted above are many, many, build numbers above what is currently shipping, so it’s clear that Apple has been working on it.
Getting a regular MacBook isn't an option for me. I need the power an portability of the MacBook Pro. You said that since updating, you havent had any issues so far? That is definitely encouraging. I am a college student and I need a new MBP before the next fall semester starts. (My 2011 is just not cutting it anymore) :'( I am really tempted to wait since the Meltdown/Spectre issues will supposedly be mitigated with the 2019 model. I just don't want to wait any later than June. So.......we'll see when the next model is released.......

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I purchased a 2018 MBP i7 with 32 GB RAM and 512 GB Storage. I got a good deal on it from a local NY Authorized re-seller. The Macbook Pro came sealed directly from Apple. The brown (sealed) Apple shipping box was sent to me inside of another shipping box (awesome in my book!). The UPS label was on the shipping box, so I tracked it, and the machine shipped from China in mid-November. Pretty much the same route that all BTO orders take.

The computer is still shrink wrapped, as I haven't had the time to set it up yet. It is my understanding that as long as the original box is not opened, that I can return it for refund. It may take some convincing,and cost me overnight shipping to get it back to them on time, but their policy is their policy. The shrink wrap is still on the box. The Apple shipping box is opened, but that's not the computer's box...

I missed this thread before I purchased, and now I'm second guessing my investment. I want to keep it, but am somewhat concerned that it may be a lemon based on all the threads concerning the T2, audio popping, flickering displays, keyboards, and whatever else I may have missed. I really wanted an iMac, but current living arrangements forced me into the laptop form factor. A desktop is out of the questions for a long while.

I did purchase Applecare+ too.

Should I get a refund, or am I being overly concerned? What do you all think?

Last edited:

dimgr

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
The firmware builds that I posted above are many, many, build numbers above what is currently shipping, so it’s clear that Apple has been working on it.

This is very encouraging, thank you for keeping us updated here (which is something that Apple _should_ be doing instead ...).

Since my Mojave got upgraded to 10.14.2 (`16P2542` firmware) it improved my stability from many KPs a day to "only" 2 per week. Usually the second KP comes soon after the reboot after the first KP and then it stays stable for a number of days.

I am also a dev and put considerable load on the system; it seems the KPs after 10.14.2 aren't load related, which definitely used to be the case before that.

It sounds like a highly complicated issues the Apple folks are dealing with, however, the machine prices warrant a different approach esp. being more open that they are actually doing something.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I purchased a 2018 MBP i7 with 32 GB RAM and 512 GB Storage. I got a good deal on it from a local NY Authorized re-seller. The Macbook Pro came sealed directly from Apple. The brown (sealed) Apple shipping box was sent to me inside of another shipping box (awesome in my book!). The UPS label was on the shipping box, so I tracked it, and the machine shipped from China in mid-November. Pretty much the same route that all BTO orders take.

The computer is still shrink wrapped, as I haven't had the time to set it up yet. It is my understanding that as long as the original box is not opened, that I can return it for refund. It may take some convincing,and cost me overnight shipping to get it back to them on time, but their policy is their policy. The shrink wrap is still on the box. The Apple shipping box is opened, but that's not the computer's box...

I missed this thread before I purchased, and now I'm second guessing my investment. I want to keep it, but am somewhat concerned that it may be a lemon based on all the threads concerning the T2, audio popping, flickering displays, keyboards, and whatever else I may have missed. I really wanted an iMac, but current living arrangements forced me into the laptop form factor. A desktop is out of the questions for a long while.

I did purchase Applecare+ too.

Should I get a refund, or am I being overly concerned? What do you all think?

If you are concerned, return it and purchase directly from Apple.

Then, if you have any problems within the return period, exchange the MacBook Pro with another one.

If you have no problems within the 14 day return period, it should be fine.

If you keep the one you already bought, it will most likely be fine.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
If you have no problems within the 14 day return period, it should be fine.
I wish this was the case. . . my machine purchased on launch day in July didn't exhibit a single problem until about 2 2 1/2 months ago. I know your comment wasn't meant to address all possibilities, just wanted to toss out there that the issues can randomly crop up at any time.

No matter what, I will continue to say my machine has never crashed when it was stand alone. . .ONLY when attaching to or attached to (and sleeping) with external displays

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.