Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duckrabbit

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Over my head....

by the way to the above post by elnbrg, the fix in 10.14.3 was for the slow boot with ext drives attached, not the bridge os panik.

Yeah, I'm not sure most of the instructions I posted are relevant. I am curious how the log looks if you set this boot argument though:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-to-symbol-translation.1834117/#post-23378363

Has there been any case where this issue was fixed by a replacement machine without the any change in usage patterns? As in, did anyone migrate as usual to their replacement machine, keep all settings the same (FileVault, Siri, etc.), continue using the same peripherals, continue same sleep/clamshell behavior--and not see the issue? I feel like the answer has to be no, because there are so many reports of people experiencing the issue with 3+ replacements--and yet so many who've experienced no issue at all as well.

Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, I'm not sure most of the instructions I posted are relevant. I am curious how the log looks if you set this boot argument though:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-to-symbol-translation.1834117/#post-23378363

Has there been any case where this issue was fixed by a replacement machine without the any change in usage patterns? As in, did anyone migrate as usual to their replacement machine, keep all settings the same (FileVault, Siri, etc.), continue using the same peripherals, continue same sleep/clamshell behavior--and not see the issue? I feel like the answer has to be no, because there are so many reports of people experiencing the issue with 3+ replacements--and yet so many who've experienced no issue at all as well.

Seems like I have seen a couple post of such but who knows. This issue is so iffy and illusive and hard to diagnose that I don't think Apple will be in any hurry to even try to fix it since they likely don't even know what the real trouble is (I had an escalated engineering support case that suggests this). It may be, and likely is under reported, but I don't think it is that widespread or people fon't realize it as an issue in general. Personally, I just think the T2 chip is immature and prone to failures. Well the bridge os may need some further work as well. I'm guessing in a couple years these issues will be a thing of the past when t2 hardware matures a bit. Frankly I could do without 100% of the T2 functions.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Seems like I have seen a couple post of such but who knows. This issue is so iffy and illusive and hard to diagnose that I don't think Apple will be in any hurry to even try to fix it since they likely don't even know what the real trouble is (I had an escalated engineering support case that suggests this). It may be, and likely is under reported, but I don't think it is that widespread or people fon't realize it as an issue in general. Personally, I just think the T2 chip is immature and prone to failures. Well the bridge os may need some further work as well. I'm guessing in a couple years these issues will be a thing of the past when t2 hardware matures a bit. Frankly I could do without 100% of the T2 functions.
Agree 100%. . .

I just spoke with a senior advisor who read through the depo notes and it looks like 1) They have not been able to replicate the bridgeOS crashes on my machine but 2) Have looked through and seen all of the crash reports that have been sent in. Apparently (according to the SA) they are attached to the hardware serial number when you submit them, so they DO have a way of looking at past crash history. I had thought that the crash reports were anonymous. I guess maybe they aren't.

Will know more when the repair is completed and on its way back to me. He said that until the repair is finished there is no way to tell what components they are replacing.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

The T2 problems have been going on for over a year (started with the iMac Pro).

My opinion only but there is no way that Apple engineering doesn't really know what the problem is with the T2 (Apple service hasn't a clue). Seeing as how Apple could only mitigate the issue with software / firmware, I think it's actually a hardware error in the T2 design. In that case, the only way it will completely go away is with a T2 hardware redesign.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
If the problem is hardware, they really shouldn't be manufacturing new computers with it. I guess they figure it affects a small enough percentage of machines that they're willing to still put out brand new devices with the faulty chip. Right now I'm sticking to my T1 machine (2016 MBP). I'll wait until T3 is available before I upgrade.

Reactions: kevk74

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
If it's a hardware issue, there will no doubt be an extended repair program for it, like there is with every other issue caused by repeated similar/same hardware failures

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
i'm getting regular kernel panics with security update 2019-001 on High Sierra. i'm not sure they're all Bridge OS related (i've only had one that specifically said that.)

i was getting at least weekly kp's before, usually on wakeup but not always. always losing work. the computer was barely usable before, due to that and audio issues, as well as displayport issues. now I can't use it at all.

reinstalling from scratch will be be my last resort, for this and my audio issues. if i don't see improvement i'll just take the loss and buy another computer. i've already had seven months of mostly downtime. yet Apple maintain there is no hw issue.

Last edited:

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
i'm getting regular kernel panics with security update 2019-001 on High Sierra. i'm not sure they're all Bridge OS related (i've only had one that specifically said that.)

i was getting at least weekly kp's before, usually on wakeup but not always. always losing work. the computer was barely usable before, due to that and audio issues, as well as displayport issues. now I can't use it at all.

reinstalling from scratch will be be my last resort, for this and my audio issues. if i don't see improvement i'll just take the loss and buy another computer. i've already had seven months of mostly downtime. yet Apple maintain there is no hw issue.
The T2 chip firmware gets updated when you install the macOS updates. So what may work is that you install the latest version of Mojave onto an external drive so you get the firmware updates for the T2 then just erase that drive and go back to using the high Sierra install you want to stay on. It would likely be a little faster than reinstalling from scratch, especially if after the reinstall you wanted to put your data back on the device.

jeroenvisser101

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2018
Amsterdam, NL
I'm looking through these threads so I know what to watch out for when I receive my new machine this week.
But this thread is too long to read through entirely...

Has anyone tried using Apple's Kernel Debug Kit to either desymbolicate a panic log or run off the Development kernel so the resulting log is symbolicated?

You can download KDK's for different macOS versions here (though non-beta 10.14.3 isn't yet available):
https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

If you have a pre-10.14.3 panic log and you know the exact macOS build number that generated it, you should be able to download the KDK and follow the instructions here to get more information: https://www.felix-schwarz.org/blog/2015/10/symbolicating-os-x-panic-logs or https://stackoverflow.com/questions...gnostics-how-to-translate-backtrace-addresses

Update:
It may also be possible to generate symbolicated logs using a boot argument (no KDK required). This might be the simplest approach:

That's a great suggestion, in a majority of my personal panics, they are triggered from BridgeOS due to a watchdog timeout (although I've seen different ones, including global resets, thunderbolt and errors related to the NVMe driver). The trace of the panic would be from T2/BridgeOS, and would only show that at some point the watchdog detected a timeout and decided to panic as it deemed the timeout unrecoverable. I'm also unsure if the nvram flags mentioned in the post you referenced would apply to the T2 chip.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Can just imagine the talks inside Apple.
"Where are your taking your solid gold yacht to this weekend?"
"Not this weekend. I'm just going to Vale in the morning for skiing, then we'll do dinner on South beach. Then we'll figure out what to do on Sunday."

Oh, you were talking about the ones who are responsible for FIXING the issues. I guess I went with those who are in charge of making decisions.

My question is why do these machines actually need two separate CPU's and two separate operating systems? Clearly this has turned out to be detrimental for users.
"Security". But it's to eventually shut down the ability to make a hackintosh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plutonius

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Did anybody ever get confirmation that an actual engineering case was opened regarding their issue?

And does anybody who has had one of these KPs have a unit with a 256gb SSD? I realized i wasn’t sure if I’d seen one.

Last edited by a moderator:

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Well, here it is. It has been three weeks since Apple received my machine and it arrives back tomorrow. They did absolutely nothing to the machine. They say that they could not duplicate any BridgeOS issues, nor did they replace the display that has worn anti-glare coating. They didn't even look.

I'm not sure where to go from here. With the machine I sent a very detailed letter letting them know what caused the problem, and how to replicate it, as well as screenshots from the crash reporter specifically showing that BridgeOS was the cause of the issue.

I guess it's back to square one.

Reactions: g75d3

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
The T2 problems have been going on for over a year (started with the iMac Pro).

My opinion only but there is no way that Apple engineering doesn't really know what the problem is with the T2 (Apple service hasn't a clue). Seeing as how Apple could only mitigate the issue with software / firmware, I think it's actually a hardware error in the T2 design. In that case, the only way it will completely go away is with a T2 hardware redesign.
Frightening thought that Apple is still shipping these machines this way. My T2 nightmares started way back when the iMP first came out. Had 3 replacements and they all did it. Had 2 MBPs and they both did it. That would indicate hardware to me as well. Apple should be ashamed of themselves. They just keep stuffing these chips in every new device.

Reactions: g75d3

dven

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
And 1st one for me (purchased end August 2018). The process "powerchimed" was the culprit according to the log. This was the first time I was trying to share my screen via the MS Teams app, so maybe I'll get lucky and never have to do that again. Not encouraging.

PS. 10.13.6 (both supp updates, but only security patch 001, not 002 or 003)

PPS. Bug type is 109, Bridge O/S 2.4.1. The crashed thread is running ARM code, so its pretty definitely the T2.

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Issue still occurring with the new mini. Can anyone tell me what Apple is doing?

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
They must be working on a resolution and on a T3 I suppose, but nothing has been made public.
If they release a T3 chip shortly after releasing the mini and it fixes everything people will completely lose their minds! Apple can’t have all these bad T2 chips (if that indeed is the cause) out in the world and then pull something like that. Talk about a colossal class action lawsuit!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
If they release a T3 chip shortly after releasing the mini and it fixes everything people will completely lose their minds! Apple can’t have all these bad T2 chips (if that indeed is the cause) out in the world and then pull something like that. Talk about a colossal class action lawsuit!

So they don't fix it and leave the current situation?
Sure, if they can resolve the T2 issues via software I'm sure they will. But I'm also sure that the T3 chip is coming. I'm certain that the migration of processing to the Tx chips will march onwards and it will take on more responsibilities. At least, I'm certain that's the intent if the whole thing can be made to play nice.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So they don't fix it and leave the current situation?
Sure, if they can resolve the T2 issues via software I'm sure they will. But I'm also sure that the T3 chip is coming. I'm certain that the migration of processing to the Tx chips will march onwards and it will take on more responsibilities. At least, I'm certain that's the intent if the whole thing can be made to play nice.
Of course Apple continue the march forward with Tx chips. But if there is indeed something inherently flawed with the T2 they can’t just leave people hanging. What a bull$h1t move that would be.

elnbrg

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2018
My KP problem completely disappeared after upgrading to 10.14.3 and cleaning up the system.

MBP 15 2018/32GB/1TB

Reactions: randolorian

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My KP problem completely disappeared after upgrading to 10.14.3 and cleaning up the system.

MBP 15 2018/32GB/1TB

I can say categorically mine hasn’t. Two crashes just today, both when doing longer reads and writes on a Thunderbolt SoftRAID volume. Mac mini 2018.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.