Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamdgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2019
I did purchase my MacBook Pro on 27th Nov'18 and my MacBook Pro crashed twice in last 3 days and lost my important work. I went to Apple Genius Bar to get it resolved, They did ran diagnostics and said everything is normal and there are no hardware failures. But they did not answer why MacBook crashed. They are clue less. I did not expect this type of issues after paying premium prices for MacBooks .

Before it crashed, trackpad was unresponsive and then there was huge fan sound and then restarted automatically.

It seems Genius Bar team helpless with the issue and they said comeback if you face this issue again, since my MacBook is under warranty. This is not the quality that I expect from APPLE.

This is so disappointing.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I did purchase my MacBook Pro on 27th Nov'18 and my MacBook Pro crashed twice in last 3 days and lost my important work. I went to Apple Genius Bar to get it resolved, They did ran diagnostics and said everything is normal and there are no hardware failures. But they did not answer why MacBook crashed. They are clue less. I did not expect this type of issues after paying premium prices for MacBooks .

Before it crashed, trackpad was unresponsive and then there was huge fan sound and then restarted automatically.

It seems Genius Bar team helpless with the issue and they said comeback if you face this issue again, since my MacBook is under warranty. This is not the quality that I expect from APPLE.

This is so disappointing.

Where the logs reviewed? If they didn't review the logs I'd call and complain.

iamdgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2019
Where the logs reviewed? If they didn't review the logs I'd call and complain.
They did not review the logs. I gave permission to wipe the data if required during the diagnosis and they return the MacBook saying there is no issue. I don't know to whom I should complain.

zionicion

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
They did not review the logs. I gave permission to wipe the data if required during the diagnosis and they return the MacBook saying there is no issue. I don't know to whom I should complain.

Contact Apple support and ask for a "Senior Advisor" they will assign a dedicated person to help. Dedicated in the sense that you will always talk to the same person, not that they will only work on your problem.

AamodJ

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2019
I've been facing the issue in which I open the lid of my MBP and it doesn't start up. Sometimes, when I nudge my laptop a bit, the screen just goes black, the trackpad doesn't work, and then after 15 - 20 min the mac starts up. There seem to be no logs for this either, but it could be a kp, who knows.

But I found a "fix" for this. If the screen abruptly goes black, the caps lock key doesn't light up, the trackpad doesn't work, and you're sure that the laptop has crashed, just start cleaning the screen of the laptop (not even kidding), it automatically gets back to the login page and nothing crashes. No idea why or how this works, but I'm glad I don't have to disable all T2 functionality to use my mac.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've been facing the issue in which I open the lid of my MBP and it doesn't start up. Sometimes, when I nudge my laptop a bit, the screen just goes black, the trackpad doesn't work, and then after 15 - 20 min the mac starts up. There seem to be no logs for this either, but it could be a kp, who knows.

But I found a "fix" for this. If the screen abruptly goes black, the caps lock key doesn't light up, the trackpad doesn't work, and you're sure that the laptop has crashed, just start cleaning the screen of the laptop (not even kidding), it automatically gets back to the login page and nothing crashes. No idea why or how this works, but I'm glad I don't have to disable all T2 functionality to use my mac.
This sounds like you’re having a problem with your computer display. Take that computer in for repair.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Contact Apple support and ask for a "Senior Advisor" they will assign a dedicated person to help. Dedicated in the sense that you will always talk to the same person, not that they will only work on your problem.
Been there done that. waste of time..Unless there is a body they don't do anything and if the body can be swept under the rug and the floor cleaned, they do that. That is the naked truth about this, and most other low volume issues they deal with. It's all bla bla bla...

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Been there done that. waste of time..Unless there is a body they don't do anything and if the body can be swept under the rug and the floor cleaned, they do that. That is the naked truth about this, and most other low volume issues they deal with. It's all bla bla bla...
I beg to differ with you. I sent my machine in for repair for the BridgeOS crashes. Three weeks later it came back with the exact same problem. I escalated my case to customer relations and when that didn't work, I asked for executive relations. After two phone calls, one of the Apple Stores here exchanged my 6 month old 2018 MacBook Pro for a brand new in box one, complete with a new warranty. The lady from executive relations had worked with them and it was coded as "repeat repair". It really wasn't that hard to be honest, I just had to give Apple a chance to repair the machine.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
This has probably been written somewhere on the 129 previous pages, bit I guess no store-manager wants to be the one with the "most exchanged hardware for free" badge on his yearly evaluation sheet.

So I'm not completely shocked that everybody involved on the Apple-side would rather hope the problem solves itself, somehow (either the customer gives up or changes stores).

Obviously, threads like this one don't exactly make me want to spend 3 or 4 grand on a MBP.
I really, really hope they get this fixed.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
Glad to see I'm not the only one still having this issue. I hope with ever beta update they might fix it but sadly that hasnt been the case.

Havent read through all the past posts but this only seems to happen when my laptop is plugged in and sleeping.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I beg to differ with you. I sent my machine in for repair for the BridgeOS crashes. Three weeks later it came back with the exact same problem. I escalated my case to customer relations and when that didn't work, I asked for executive relations. After two phone calls, one of the Apple Stores here exchanged my 6 month old 2018 MacBook Pro for a brand new in box one, complete with a new warranty. The lady from executive relations had worked with them and it was coded as "repeat repair". It really wasn't that hard to be honest, I just had to give Apple a chance to repair the machine.
congrats., I had no such experience, and I have tried multiple times.

iamdgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2019
As per Apple support suggestion I did wiped HD and fresh reinstall 10.14.3 Yesterday night. MacBook crashed with Five minutes after fresh install of OS. here is the error log. Still Apple saying there is no issue. They did ask me for screen share and collected some logs for analysis. I feeling I paid 3 grand for a brick.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.3 (16P3133)","timestamp":"2019-02-24 04:44:50.55 +0000","incident_id":"EC80654E-5A5F-42C3-BE0A-4FA9FF583553"}

{

"build" : "Bridge OS 3.3 (16P3133)",

"product" : "iBridge2,3",

"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.2.0: Wed Jan 2 20:41:23 PST 2019; root:xnu-4903.241.1~3\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",

"incident" : "EC80654E-5A5F-42C3-BE0A-4FA9FF583553",

"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",

"date" : "2019-02-24 04:44:50.33 +0000",

"panicString" : "panic(cpu 1 caller 0xfffffff01bcdab14): macOS watchdog detected\nDebugger message: panic\nMemory ID: 0xff\nOS version: 16P3133\nKernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 18.2.0: Wed Jan 2 20:41:23 PST 2019; root:xnu-4903.241.1~3\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010\nKernelCache UUID: 17C446FEFFDCE9EB1C0A6AA347130F4E\nKernel UUID: 61C8DB68-F4BA-33A3-BE53-622D429D9371\niBoot version: iBoot-4513.230.10\nsecure boot?: YES\nx86 EFI Boot State: 0x16\nx86 System State: 0x0\nx86 Power State: 0x0\nx86 Shutdown Cause: 0x1\nx86 Previous Power Transitions: 0x20002000200\nPCIeUp link state: 0x89271614\nPaniclog version: 11\nKernel slide: 0x0000000015600000\nKernel text base: 0xfffffff01c604000\nEpoch Time: sec usec\n Boot : 0x5c68b3be 0x000c4c16\n Sleep : 0x5c71e8d8 0x000e8ec0\n Wake : 0x5c71e8fe 0x00053778\n Calendar: 0x5c72211f 0x0000948e\n\nPanicked task 0xffffffe00082e1c0: 3488 pages, 208 threads: pid 0: kernel_task\nPanicked thread: 0xffffffe000c08530, backtrace: 0xffffffe01638b520, tid: 376\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01c800ad4 fp: 0xffffffe01638b660\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01c6dd610 fp: 0xffffffe01638b670\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01c711cec fp: 0xffffffe01638b9e0\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01c712064 fp: 0xffffffe01638ba20\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01c713c9c fp: 0xffffffe01638ba40\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01bcdab14 fp: 0xffffffe01638bab0\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01bcdcf9c fp: 0xffffffe01638bb50\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01bcda1d0 fp: 0xffffffe01638bbe0\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01bc93ab0 fp: 0xffffffe01638bc10\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01cb9b040 fp: 0xffffffe01638bc50\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01cb9a8d0 fp: 0xffffffe01638bc90\n\t\t lr: 0xfffffff01c6e8614 fp: 0x0000000000000000\n\n",

"panicFlags" : "0x102",

"otherString" : "\n** Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 107712 **\n",

"macOSPanicFlags" : "0x0",

"macOSPanicString" : "BAD MAGIC! (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available",

"memoryStatus" : {"compressorSize":0,"compressions":0,"decompressions":0,"busyBufferCount":0,"pageSize":16384,"memoryPressure":false,"memoryPages":{"active":7857,"throttled":0,"fileBacked":11129,"wired":5621,"purgeable":47,"inactive":4196,"free":8508,"speculative":4103}},

Reactions: g75d3

brbklyn8829

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
I have had three different builds of the 2018 MBP 15". I started last summer with an i9, 16GB RAM, 560x, 2TB. I wasn't happy with the thermal performance, and I was getting constant BridgeOS crashes. I moved on to a 2.2 i7, 32GB RAM, 560x, 2TB. I had frequent BridgeOS crashes, and it recently stopped accepting a charge through any port. It went in for service and they replaced the entire logic board. The day I got it back, the audio was crackling and I was getting BridgeOS crashes. Back to the Genius Bar - they let me return it 6 months after the fact. I tried again with a 2.6 i7, upped to the Radeon 20, 32GB RAM, 2TB. Day 1 I had more kernel panics than the other machines. It was unusable. It went back yesterday. I'm stuck now - do I try to pick up a good deal on a 2017 model, or hold out for a 2019 model, and hope a new T3 is released that has the issues corrected? Really disappointed in Apple.

alexballvideos

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
I have had three different builds of the 2018 MBP 15". I started last summer with an i9, 16GB RAM, 560x, 2TB. I wasn't happy with the thermal performance, and I was getting constant BridgeOS crashes. I moved on to a 2.2 i7, 32GB RAM, 560x, 2TB. I had frequent BridgeOS crashes, and it recently stopped accepting a charge through any port. It went in for service and they replaced the entire logic board. The day I got it back, the audio was crackling and I was getting BridgeOS crashes. Back to the Genius Bar - they let me return it 6 months after the fact. I tried again with a 2.6 i7, upped to the Radeon 20, 32GB RAM, 2TB. Day 1 I had more kernel panics than the other machines. It was unusable. It went back yesterday. I'm stuck now - do I try to pick up a good deal on a 2017 model, or hold out for a 2019 model, and hope a new T3 is released that has the issues corrected? Really disappointed in Apple.

What kind of work are you doing when the Kernal Panics happen?
I've had a few 2018 models the past month. One ran too hot and throttle like hell. Another had frequent sleep/wake kernal panics, this was an in-store pickup 2.9 i9 / Vega 20 / 32GB / 1TB model. Coconut battery reported it as being manufactured months ago, so probably from first batch and just been sitting there at retail.

Are you restoring a time machine backup at all? I'd always restore my time machine backup onto the new machine, which came from a 2017 MBP which went through a High Sierra > Mojave upgrade.

I had a 13-inch Quad core for two weeks while waiting for a Vega 20 optioned 15-inch. I didn't restore my time machine back on it this time and it ran perfectly for two weeks.
I've had the Vega 20 now for 5 days now, just setup and new and painfully re-installed everything. It's going well, it has been getting pushed very hard with FCP X, Lightroom, handbrake, After Effects and Premiere CC and even some Logic X to try replicate speaker popping. No issues here. Also put on Windows 10 on it and have been playing Shadow of Tomb Raider and Mutant Year Zero without issue. Basically, hitting it hard as I can with real world tasks and usage.

brbklyn8829

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
What kind of work are you doing when the Kernal Panics happen?
I've had a few 2018 models the past month. One ran too hot and throttle like hell. Another had frequent sleep/wake kernal panics, this was an in-store pickup 2.9 i9 / Vega 20 / 32GB / 1TB model. Coconut battery reported it as being manufactured months ago, so probably from first batch and just been sitting there at retail.

Are you restoring a time machine backup at all? I'd always restore my time machine backup onto the new machine, which came from a 2017 MBP which went through a High Sierra > Mojave upgrade.

I had a 13-inch Quad core for two weeks while waiting for a Vega 20 optioned 15-inch. I didn't restore my time machine back on it this time and it ran perfectly for two weeks.
I've had the Vega 20 now for 5 days now, just setup and new and painfully re-installed everything. It's going well, it has been getting pushed very hard with FCP X, Lightroom, handbrake, After Effects and Premiere CC and even some Logic X to try replicate speaker popping. No issues here. Also put on Windows 10 on it and have been playing Shadow of Tomb Raider and Mutant Year Zero without issue. Basically, hitting it hard as I can with real world tasks and usage.

There doesn't seem to be any continuity in when the panic happens. On the last machine, it ran fine for about half a day, then while running a Skype for Business call, it crashed. Then it just seemed to get into an endless loop where after a reboot, it wouldn't recognize connected drives and it generally seemed unstable. I'd have to power down and cold boot, after disconnecting everything, then reconnect upon boot. It's also crashed during handbrake encodes or while running a Parallels VM. Sleep/wake is also an issue. The most vexing thing is that two different machines just stopped charging. One never charged again (the one that had the logic board replaced). The new one did the same thing, which is what led me to return it.

The first two machines that had the issue were both initially restored from a time machine backup, and then wiped and set up from scratch. Both still had the issue either way. The latest one was only time machine restored. It's the same image from my 2014 MBP 13", and all the same peripherals. The only difference is the T2.

alexballvideos

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
There doesn't seem to be any continuity in when the panic happens. On the last machine, it ran fine for about half a day, then while running a Skype for Business call, it crashed. Then it just seemed to get into an endless loop where after a reboot, it wouldn't recognize connected drives and it generally seemed unstable. I'd have to power down and cold boot, after disconnecting everything, then reconnect upon boot. It's also crashed during handbrake encodes or while running a Parallels VM. Sleep/wake is also an issue. The most vexing thing is that two different machines just stopped charging. One never charged again (the one that had the logic board replaced). The new one did the same thing, which is what led me to return it.

The first two machines that had the issue were both initially restored from a time machine backup, and then wiped and set up from scratch. Both still had the issue either way. The latest one was only time machine restored. It's the same image from my 2014 MBP 13", and all the same peripherals. The only difference is the T2.

That’s a bumpy ride you have had. Sorry to hear it. I was at my wits end, after my 2017 had multiple repairs and then a few 2018 models not working well after restoring from time machine. I feel there is some common thread with how audio is handled that nobody can identify which is causing havoc. I did have skype installed on my time machine backup. Haven’t installed it on this nor the 13-inch that had no issue, Skype seems to be the least of your issues however. Speculation doesn’t really help you, I have my suspicions some apps are still causing T2 Audio conflicts however. Adobe just pushed a Premiere Pro update out for the audio/speakers blown issue, how many months have these machine been on the market for now?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I'm very happy with my 2017 MacBook Pro and the T2 was the main reason (besides price) why I got the 2017 instead of the 2018.

Reactions: itsamacthing

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Is this a software or hardware issue indeed? Not sure Apple is gonna fix this... Perhaps they will just release a new model in 2019 and move on...

Reactions: guillone

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Is this a software or hardware issue indeed? Not sure Apple is gonna fix this... Perhaps they will just release a new model in 2019 and move on...

These days, it's hard to draw a line.
Firmware in an SSD is also software. There are microcode updates for CPUs...

Nobody even knows if the T2-issues are in hardware, in the firmware of the T2 ("Bridge-OS") or in macOS.

Well, Apple knows - but they ain't talkin' ;-)

Reactions: guillone

iamdgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2019
These days, it's hard to draw a line.
Firmware in an SSD is also software. There are microcode updates for CPUs...

Nobody even knows if the T2-issues are in hardware, in the firmware of the T2 ("Bridge-OS") or in macOS.

Well, Apple knows - but they ain't talkin' ;-)
After so many followups, a senior advisor from Apple store took some logs from my MacBook and a week after she suggested me to go to Apples store for repair. Today I went to Apple store and replay the whole story that had happened in last one month and gave them all incident numbers. They agreed to send it for repair. They said, It will take at least 7 business to get it back from repair. Hope they will fix the issue. I don’t know what to do if it still happens after they repair. Is there any way to complain the problems to some higher authorities in Apple. I purchased this MacBook 3 months back and barely used it due to freezing and restarting issues.

Beancamel

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
Northeast, CT

i think its hardware. of course this is just imho. BUT ive had ZERO issues with my MBP 2017. i love it. of course it would be nice to have 6 cores but this machine will do for now. id be surprised if they change the design this year. although imo this T2 chip really needs to go, or they need another redesign on said chip. id imagine a new design in 2020 and even then i wont buy 1st year model. so my 2017 needs to last me til at least 2021. Hopefully they have this ironed out by then. (T3- T4 chip?) who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.