Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
These days, it's hard to draw a line.
Firmware in an SSD is also software. There are microcode updates for CPUs...

Nobody even knows if the T2-issues are in hardware, in the firmware of the T2 ("Bridge-OS") or in macOS.

Well, Apple knows - but they ain't talkin' ;-)
I think it's MacOS all the way back to El Capitan, imho - my kp crashes started with El Capitan....

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Can we lodge a complaint to some higher authorities at Apple? Do they really care?
I gave up. I recently picked up a 2012 Mac Pro, 6-core Xeon, used for cheap. I installed Yosemite and am running Logic Pro X 10.2.4. Works fine, will have to do for now. I picked up an Alienware R5 17" laptop last year with the six core coffee lake and a GTX 1070 8Gb video card. Lots of horsepower, I run Ableton Live on that on Windows 10, works fine.
There are enough used Macs around for now to keep me going until Apple builds a new computer from scratch. Sounds like they're going to ARM next year? If so, I'll wait until this thread is dead and gone, but I think their plan is to not fix any of this and just scrap all of it with new Apple processors and software. Got a feeling, no proof....
but it sure smells fishy to me.....we have no way of knowing, it could be Intel's fault and Apple is stuck;
I've moved beyond blame, just need something that works and I have it for now..... best of luck.....
if you've got an Apple computer that works, hang on to it.....

Reactions: Mendota

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I gave up. I recently picked up a 2012 Mac Pro, 6-core Xeon, used for cheap. I installed Yosemite and am running Logic Pro X 10.2.4. Works fine, will have to do for now. I picked up an Alienware R5 17" laptop last year with the six core coffee lake and a GTX 1070 8Gb video card. Lots of horsepower, I run Ableton Live on that on Windows 10, works fine.
There are enough used Macs around for now to keep me going until Apple builds a new computer from scratch. Sounds like they're going to ARM next year? If so, I'll wait until this thread is dead and gone, but I think their plan is to not fix any of this and just scrap all of it with new Apple processors and software. Got a feeling, no proof....
but it sure smells fishy to me.....we have no way of knowing, it could be Intel's fault and Apple is stuck;
I've moved beyond blame, just need something that works and I have it for now..... best of luck.....

It will be interesting to see how well the modular Mac Pro works with a T2 chip (if it even comes out this year) ? I have a 2012 Mac Pro and I have no interest in upgrading to a computer with a T2.
[doublepost=1551765933][/doublepost]I think that all of the recent MacBook Pros will have terrible resale values once AppleCare runs out.

Reactions: guillone

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
It will be interesting to see how well the modular Mac Pro works with a T2 chip (if it even comes out this year) ? I have a 2012 Mac Pro and I have no interest in upgrading to a computer with a T2.
[doublepost=1551765933][/doublepost]I think that all of the recent MacBook Pros will have terrible resale values once AppleCare runs out.
I have no idea how all this plays out, how big of a problem is this in overall Mac sales? Is the amount of faulty machines so small that it's irrelevant to Apple sales and Apple? I don't know, but after two crashed iMacs, I lost my once rock solid trust in Apple; since they won't respond at all on this issue, I don't trust them enough to give them any more money on another machine. It's over a year now, still cricket noises. So, that only leaves me with two conclusions:
all of us on this thread are the unluckiest blokes on the planet, we're all crazy and there is no problem, hahahaha,
Or,
Apple is sweeping this under the rug.
We're all crazy AND Apple is sweeping this under the rug (that's one I missed)
I stand corrected.... haha.....

Reactions: pratikindia

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I mentioned earlier in this thread is that when I returned my 2018 MacBook because of crashes the online return process did not even ask why it was being returned. That's revealing about how much Apple gives a s***.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I mentioned earlier in this thread is that when I returned my 2018 MacBook because of crashes the online return process did not even ask why it was being returned. That's revealing about how much Apple gives a s***.

Well, the person at the Apple Store handling your person is hardly "corporate Apple".
The people at the front probably stopped getting emotionally involved after a couple of weeks at most - not unlike a doctor - or they'd get burned out pretty fast...

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I think that all of the recent MacBook Pros will have terrible resale values once AppleCare runs out.

I really doubt the resale will be affected much by any of the issues with these current 2018 T2 machines (MBP, iMac Pro, etc). At the end of the day, the only people aware of these T2 issues are people that browse these and similar forums. 99.9% of the Mac user base will never know this is an issue, and even if they experience a handful of T2 crashes over a few years, they are unlikely to really notice much or do much about it.

I think that in general, the resale value for these new gen MacBook Pros (2016-2018) may give a bit less on the return than usual just due to Apple's overall dwindling reputation in the PC space. The keyboard issue is the only issue which I think a good number of average customers are aware of, however I think the 3rd gen butterfly keyboard really does solve the keyboard issue for the vast majority.

Reactions: xgman

iamdgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2019
I sent my 3 months old 2018 MacBook pro to Apple repair center last week to fix Freezing and Restart issues. I received it today from repair center. As per their repair sheet, they replaced Logic Board and Touch ID board. I have to see if this fixed the issue and do any better.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
Crashes seem to be much more often for me on the latest Beta. I used to only crash while my MAC was sleeping and charging. Last night it crashed while sleeping but NOT charging.

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
i was so relieved when the last update seemed to stop the kernel panics (but not the audio glitches or displayport connection issues) - however it's started doing it again. usually while asleep the machine freezes up. honestly feel so devastated by this computer, £4700 totally wasted.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha

I love my 2012 MacBook. I thought I would be retiring her, but no we will still be together until I see where Apple goes next. It has a great keyboard and upgraded to Mojave without issue.

meridoc

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2019
Texas
I have been using the 2018 MBP for about 4 months, and it crashes off and on. two times in the last 24 hours. I have just now downloaded the last Mojave beta. the crashes happen when it is asleep and unconnected, but also when connected to external LG monitor and hard drives. Time Machine is being inconsistent, too. sometimes it just freezes and no data back up for hours.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Well, the person at the Apple Store handling your person is hardly "corporate Apple".
The people at the front probably stopped getting emotionally involved after a couple of weeks at most - not unlike a doctor - or they'd get burned out pretty fast...

As I mentioned the return was done online, where there was no question about the reason for the return. That IS "corporate Apple."

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Anybody crash a new iMac yet?
I just watched a Max Tech video that says
it doesn't have the T2 chip;
maybe that's a good thing....

Last edited:

Heelpir8

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2019
Or a SSD equipped iMac without T2, which the 2017 and 2019 both can be configured as.

Hadn't realized it was available for a fairly reasonable cost via BTO. Retailers tend to only carry spinner/Fusion models. Good info.

Last edited:

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Hadn't realized it was available for a fairly reasonable cost via BTO. Retailers tend to only carry spiiner/Fusion models. Good info.
Yes this is one of the worst things about consumer Macs, where Apple felt OK to put in sub-optimal parts for stock models which is fair for school/library/retail/bottom barrel home use. But if you want to get a deal of a BTO config via 3rd parties it becomes much more difficult.

Also I don't think any of Apple's charging for RAM and SSD upgrades are even close to reasonable. Even though the markup for 256/512GB SSDs are not huge by margin, but by percentage they are.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Yes this is one of the worst things about consumer Macs, where Apple felt OK to put in sub-optimal parts for stock models which is fair for school/library/retail/bottom barrel home use. But if you want to get a deal of a BTO config via 3rd parties it becomes much more difficult.

Also I don't think any of Apple's charging for RAM and SSD upgrades are even close to reasonable. Even though the markup for 256/512GB SSDs are not huge by margin, but by percentage they are.
I agree as to RAM, but the fact is that Apple's SSD's are much faster than third-party SSD's, so you are getting more value for the increased prices there.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I have yet to experience this issue however I have only had my new laptop a couple days so I will keep you up to date on when mine crashes (hopefully never).

Reactions: DCIFRTHS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.