Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
I've also experienced crashes the last few days, the computer just randomly shuts down. At first I thought of a software problem. But today I received a bridge related error..

2019 MacBook Pro 2.3 / VEGA 20
Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G84)
Bridge OS 3.6
Boot-ROM-Version: 220.270.99.0.0
iBridge: 16.16.6568.0.0,0
T2 firmware version: 16P6568

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
Contacted Apple Support, they just told me to submit the bug reports of macOS and do a clean reinstall of macOS. Currently restoring a 10.14.5 Time Machine backup and trying that before doing a clean install.

As a new Mac owner, this is deeply disappointing :(

Zeke13137

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
Contacted Apple Support, they just told me to submit the bug reports of macOS and do a clean reinstall of macOS. Currently restoring a 10.14.5 Time Machine backup and trying that before doing a clean install.

As a new Mac owner, this is deeply disappointing :(

have done all those "quick fix"...resetting NVRAM, SMC, deleting hard drive and reinstalling to get it back to the factory setting etc. It helped for a couple of hours then reboot starts happening again.

Zeke13137

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
Out of curiosity, have y’all ever seen this kernel panic on a 13” MBP 2018 or 2019?

since the T2 chip and the bridgeOS--the operating system bridging the T2 to the main CPU--is the main problem...then given the right parameters, you can expect this problem to happen to any machine that has the T2 chip (all models with Touch Bar). Those parameters are pretty much anything that stresses the T2 chip...I started getting problems when I started messing with the boot loaders trying to run linux on an external hard drive. Some people are getting these problems when they start attaching stuff to the thunderbolt 3 connectors...some don't even have any peripherals attached at all.

Reactions: theapplehead

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Out of curiosity, have y’all ever seen this kernel panic on a 13” MBP 2018 or 2019?

My wife and I both have 2019 systems, acquired shortly after the subtle updates that were made to the systems in May this year. They were ordered on July 5th so we've only been using them a few weeks. I have the 15" that is maxed out on the hardware specs except for storage; she has the baseline 13". I've had one Bridge OS crash so far and she's had none, granted I use my system daily for work and she uses hers for mostly light-load non-work stuff a few hours of the day.

At the time of my one crash I had a BlackMagic Pro eGPU attached via one TB3 port. The eGPU itself had some peripherals dangling off of it: USB mouse, keyboard, USB-C ethernet, and of course monitor via DisplayPort. The Mac was running 10.14.5 at the time. I've since returned the BlackMagic Pro -- while a nice setup, it's pricy and not upgradeable. I've built my own eGPU setup and switched to one of my old Mac BlueTooth keyboards. So now the MBP has the eGPU enclosure plugged in via one of the TB3 ports and that enclosure only has my SteelSeries mouse on it along with my monitor's USB hub (which I rarely use), and the monitor via DisplayPort. Sadly the Ethernet port on my eGPU case is flaky as hell so I've a Belkin USB-C Ethernet dongle plugged into a second TB3 port on the Mac (my wireless is pretty fast but the hardwire is faster). All that and the OS has been upgraded to 10.14.6, so a bunch of variables have changed and I've not had a Bridge OS crash. Likely just coincidence, I'm not holding my breath. :)

My wife's 13" system doesn't have any peripherals connected to it -- just Apple's own USB-C power brick -- and I believe that OS is still 10.14.5.

Reactions: theapplehead

gorik

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
ha-ha
a month ago I wrote that I took my mbp to service and they've changed whole motherboard.
No crashes until yesterday.... and crashed again with bridge os...
f...k

gorik

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
looked again - may be not same issue....

Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while entering darkwake on way to sleep.

Zeke13137

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
ha-ha
a month ago I wrote that I took my mbp to service and they've changed whole motherboard.
No crashes until yesterday.... and crashed again with bridge os...
f...k

hey man, do you mind if I ask how much reboots were you getting when they said the motherboard needs to be replaced? and did you buy AppleCare? I'm getting bad reboots...and sometimes, my computer would be on in reboot loops for 40 minutes straight. I'm getting the bridgeOS on the report, bug type 210 on all my reboots.

While most people here are getting reboots 3 times a day or less...My reboots are more severe...I'm starting to think that my problem is a hardware issue...and I've only had this computer for a month.

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
Did a Time Machine restore to 10.14.5, no reboots anymore. Did an update again to 10.14.6 with the Combo-Update DMG, reboots happen again. Will try a clean & fresh 10.14.6 on a 2nd APFS partition or external drive to try out if that makes a difference.

When on 10.14.6, using any kind of video chat app (Skype or FaceTime) for a couple minutes causes the machine to kernel panic. Doesn't matter what programs are running in the background. Nothing else including running 2 VMs, video encoding, etc. cause the machine to crash, only videochats. :confused:

Until 10.15 comes out, I just hid the notification for 10.14.6 update using this Terminal command:
Code:
softwareupdate --ignore "macOS 10.14.6 Update"
softwareupdate --ignore "macOS 10.14.6-Update"

Last edited:
Reactions: appleuser181

gorik

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
hey man, do you mind if I ask how much reboots were you getting when they said the motherboard needs to be replaced? and did you buy AppleCare? I'm getting bad reboots...and sometimes, my computer would be on in reboot loops for 40 minutes straight. I'm getting the bridgeOS on the report, bug type 210 on all my reboots.

While most people here are getting reboots 3 times a day or less...My reboots are more severe...I'm starting to think that my problem is a hardware issue...and I've only had this computer for a month.

do not know exactly, several times a day...

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
I was able to solve my daily crash issues with a clean reinstall of macOS 10.14.6.

spyros_mac

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2019
Hello to all.
have been an observer for many years of this great community, just signed up to report a problem with my MacBook Pro 2019, hoping that Apple will acknowledge this and will fix it at some point in the future.

MacBook Pro 2019 , 15", i9 2.3x8 , 560x, about one month old.
OS 10.14.5

had my first kernel panic, just after starting my Mac (the computer previously was shut down , not in sleep mode). nothing was connected on it, not even a power cable.
just after putting my password details in the log in screen, the screen went black, I heard the fans revving and the apple logo appeared. the next log in was successful.

product" : "iBridge2,3"
}Model: MacBookPro15,1, BootROM 220.260.171.0.0 (iBridge: 16.16.5200.0.0,0), 8 processors, Intel Core i9, 2,3 GHz, 16 GB, SMC
Graphics: kHW_IntelUHDGraphics630Item, Intel UHD Graphics 630, spdisplays_builtin
Graphics: kHW_AMDRadeonPro560XItem, Radeon Pro 560X, spdisplays_pcie_device, 4 GB

build" : "Bridge OS 3.5 (16P5200)",
"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
"date" : "2019-08-01 06:40:57.03 +0000",
"incident" : "57CB7C72-2202-49D2-97A6-C2C37B138545",

einarbey

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2019
I have this same problem with my new macbook pro 15 2019 when i wake it up from sleep it try’s to start but then crashes

appleuser181

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
Apple needs to get it together tbh (ridiculous "fix" for this crash), been having issues since last year. It got better at some point but I just had another Bridge OS crash. I basically had NOTHING connected to my machine, had Firefox (5 tabs) open and was FaceTiming a friend of mine. And suddenly the machine became completely unresponsive and restarted.

This is the crash report after it restarted:

{"caused_by":"unknown","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G84)","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.6 (16P6568)","macos_system_state":"running","incident_id":"9B27EABB-49AA-9D5B-9430FDA9068F","timestamp":"2019-08-01 18:46:51.75 +0000","bug_type":"210"}
{
"build" : "Bridge OS 3.6 (16P6568)",
"product" : "iBridge2,3",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.7.0: Tue Jun 25 21:35:19 PDT 2019; root:xnu-4903.270.47~9\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
"incident" : "9B27EABB-49AA-9D5B-9430FDA9068F",
"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0d0001",
"date" : "2019-08-01 18:46:51.56 +0000",
"panicString" : "panic(cpu 1 caller 0xfffffff0217b9bec): \"void AppleEmbeddedPCIeUpLinkMgmt::_linkInterruptAction(IOInterruptEventSource *, int): \" \"A link timeout has been seen after 100000 microseconds and 49999 iterations.\"@\/BuildRoot\/Library\/Caches\/com.apple.xbs\/Sources\/

I'm running the latest Mojave update (10.14.6) as well as the latest T2 chip version (16P6568).
Machine Specs: 2018 MBP, 2.6 i7, 32GB RAM, 560X graphics and 512 SSD if that helps.

Should I bother contacting Apple support at this point or there is no point?

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
Apple will just tell you to do a clean reinstall of macOS, and if that doesn't help to bring it in for warranty replacement.

Zeke13137

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
I guess we're all in the same boat. Mine is also a 15 inch 2019 i9, only 560.

it crashed on average, 20 times a day but it also entered reboot cycles lasting 20-40 minutes.

I did reinstalls, complete hard drive wipe outs, etc...and rebooted during the process so I had to repeat again. It was rebooting even when it was in safe mode...it rebooted while doing a fresh install... I swear if I can, I'd return it and buy windows...but the 30 day return period passed...I had it for approximated 56 days.

I wiped out the hard drive and returned it to apple store..now they're taking a look at it. I'll let you guys know what happened....but it leaves me with no computer for 5 days.

I would advice anyone thinking of buying this machine to NOT buy it. Because even if they do manage to fix it, the mercurial behavior of the computer have made it completely unreliable...also the amazing "thunderbolt-3" is pretty much trash cause connecting anything to it puts your computer in danger of rebooting. Capability of eGPU? lol....all trash. Imagine it being your main computer and watching the stock market and it crashes and enters a 40 minute reboot cycle on you...thousands of dollars lost....a student taking an exam, and it reboots unexpectedly...automatic F on the exam (and potentially an F on the course)...tell your professor your computer is unreliable he'll just tell you you should have used a BETTER computer..why? because your MacBook Pro with its fancy touching bar is TRASH.

ctrlsoul

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2019
Had a lot of Bridge OS errors (kernel panic) on Mojave and Catalina beta (about 10+ times a day) on my 2018 13 i7 MBP. Just out of my curiosity (and frustration), I installed Windows 10 via Bootcamp on June 30th. I have exclusively used windows and experienced 0 random shutdown or any errors whatsoever for 30+ days on the same machine that shut down during sleep constantly on MacOS. I really don't know why this happens but it looks like an OS update might be able to fix this problem (hopefully).

Zeke13137

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
Had a lot of Bridge OS errors (kernel panic) on Mojave and Catalina beta (about 10+ times a day) on my 2018 13 i7 MBP. Just out of my curiosity (and frustration), I installed Windows 10 via Bootcamp on June 30th. I have exclusively used windows and experienced 0 random shutdown or any errors whatsoever for 30+ days on the same machine that shut down during sleep constantly on MacOS. I really don't know why this happens but it looks like an OS update might be able to fix this problem (hopefully).

Had a working Linux and Windows OS on an external hard drive and my Mac still rebooted. Granted, what I did was an external hard drive install...not a partitioned install on the actual Mac ssd.

Last edited:

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I was thinking of getting a new MacBook Pro but with this T2 chip issue, it looks like I will have to hold on to what I have for a much longer time. This is not what I would expect from a product like Apple. It is my favourite brand and now I cannot even buy a new computer because of this T2 chip issue that I am reading on this forum.

sued4fun

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
Gotta hate that pesky BridgeOS issue! I setup a perimeter honeypot recently, using an old macbook pro, and received this "BridgeOS" issue. Does anyone have a remedy? I'm tempted to file a lawsuit against apple! HAHAHA

iamdgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2019
Gotta hate that pesky BridgeOS issue! I setup a perimeter honeypot recently, using an old macbook pro, and received this "BridgeOS" issue. Does anyone have a remedy? I'm tempted to file a lawsuit against apple! HAHAHA
I will join.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.