Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexballvideos

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
For those with issues still I'm not sure what to say...

I've been running fine since April with a 2018 15" 2.6ghz i7 500/16GB optioned with Vega 20 (J780AP I think) and 10.14.6

I got about 6 or 7 Bridge OS sleep wake crashes from purchase in February 2019 > April 2019.
Rock solid since April.
It gets used hard with FCPX, After Effects, Lightroom and handbrake encoding to H265.
I use external WD MyPassport and Samsung T5 USBC SSD's often (and some regular bus powered Seagate hdd), no external displays attached.

I do remember booting into recovery mode and running disk repair on all levels/partitions/container partitions (it did find something to fix at the time) and returning all the T2 / Boot security stuff to defaults after fiddling, I don't have FileVault on however. The only other odd thing I have done is mute the Mic volume in sys preferences.

Hope you guys get things resolved!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Bought iMAC PRO yesterday, 14 cores, 64GB RAM. Spent $8,000 or so. I thought this beast can handle anything. Computer just crashed while I was working on it 5 minutes ago.

When my iMac Pro started giving me bridge os 210 errors I was able to fix it. It was a problem with one of my attached RAID drives. I wiped and restored the device and the problem went away.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
For those with issues still I'm not sure what to say...

I've been running fine since April with a 2018 15" 2.6ghz i7 500/16GB optioned with Vega 20 (J780AP I think) and 10.14.6

I got about 6 or 7 Bridge OS sleep wake crashes from purchase in February 2019 > April 2019.
Rock solid since April.
It gets used hard with FCPX, After Effects, Lightroom and handbrake encoding to H265.
I use external WD MyPassport and Samsung T5 USBC SSD's often (and some regular bus powered Seagate hdd), no external displays attached.

I do remember booting into recovery mode and running disk repair on all levels/partitions/container partitions (it did find something to fix at the time) and returning all the T2 / Boot security stuff to defaults after fiddling, I don't have FileVault on however. The only other odd thing I have done is mute the Mic volume in sys preferences.

Hope you guys get things resolved!

Hi alexballvideos,

Thanks for the update. I'll give my update also. [I'm also glad to see that someone else's MBP besides my last two T2 MBPs (a 2018 and a 2019) has experienced this First Aid error.]

On a 2019 15" MBP 2.4GHz i9 32GB 4TB Vega 20, I have the occasional kernel panic crash when waking from sleep, but often without a crash report, just a reboot.

I have daily WiFi connection problems (have had on three 2018 MBPs and one 2019 MBP) ... well, WiFi is still connected with a SNR=45dBm to 50dBm, but every other WiFi service times out, such as Safari, ping, rsync, ssh, Time Machine, Software Update, Mac App Store, etc. These WiFi problems sometimes fix themselves after a few minutes, but I've also experienced them lasting hours. I usually manually fix them by simply turning off wifi and then turning it back on.

When I run Disk Utility First Aid at all levels (Apple SSD, container disk1, Macintosh HD) on the internal SSD, it reports an error on the Macintosh HD that First Aid is not capable of fixing, meaning that when I boot to recovery, use First Aid to "fix" the error, reboot to user mode, and rerun the three First Aids, the error is still present, i.e., the Recovery First Aid actually did not fix the disk error. This error even occurred right out of the box, that is, on a brand new 2019 MBP, when I first unboxed it. I performed this test immediately after the initial setup of my admin account and before loading any files/apps on the MBP. On the other hand, after an OS upgrade, you have to run through the all three First Aids twice to find this unfixable disk error, but then once found it lasts until the next OS upgrade or the SSD is wiped and the OS reinstalled. For me, this means that Disk Utility First Aid is useless on the Macintosh HD.

I do, however, keep a close eye on the MBP's SSD ... meaning that I repeat all code compilations twice, once performed on the MBP and once performed on an iMac. I then checksum all of these files on the two machines and compare the checksums to make sure that no disk errors have occurred on the MBP. So far the MBP has been clean, but I have documented an internal SSD error (with cryptographic evidence) on an earlier 2018 MBP so this is why I go to the extraordinary trouble of repeating and then comparing my compilations on two different machines.

Solouki

Last edited:

Matron7

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2019
ARGHHHH I put all my money into a 15 inch 2018 macbook pro worth over 4k, running macOS Catalina version 10.15.1 and I'm experiencing daily restarts at least 2 a day, where all of a sudden i can't use the touch bar, shortly followed by screen freezing, then a loud overheating noise of the fan i think and then boom black screen panic shuts down, and then restarts... also experiencing some wifi issues where i have to turn off and on wifi to get connected sometimes takes 20 minutes off constant turning on and off wifi until it decides to grace me with connection...
Are we supposed to just live with this???

Yours sincerely,

A broke medical student (who has lost his work for an assignment twice because of this issue)

sch1z01d

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
I've got a 2019 MacBook Pro, which I usually plug to a Wacom Intuos Pro M and a Dell U2518D, and within a month of owning it, it started having the bug 210 panics, freezing/crashing/rebooting as much as 5 times in a working day.

Called Apple Support, they had heard nothing of this T2 chip problem, however they recommended me to try and "restore" the T2 chip OS via Apple Configurator. Did the whole process as descibed on Apple's website, only to get an error during the restore process which meant that the €5k, 1-month old laptop was basically bricked. Apple Support didn't alert me to this possibility, but luckily I had a relatively recent backup and a backup computer to keep working on...

So, laptop goes back to Apple, they replace the logic board. Got the laptop last week, and it lasted a whole day before started freezing/crashing/rebooting, again with "bug 210" panics as before. I've had issues before with Apple laptops, but this is getting ridiculous.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Still under one year, and i extended my warranty, so yea ill take it in soon but reading this forum it seems taking it in hasn't redolved the issue

For your information, I believe you are correct. For example, I've had three different 2018 MBPs, one of which had the logic board and touchID board replaced twice each. I now have a 2019 MBP. All of these machines, which are essentially six different machines (4 actual different cases + 2 additional logic and touchID boards changed), have had the same plethora of errors, from Disk Utility First Aid failures to fix internal SSD errors (a royal pain), bluetooth errors, WiFi connection problems, monitor troubles, and kernel panics. On my last machine, the 2019 MBP, so far I only have KPs when awaking from sleep, so I never let the MBP go to sleep without first backing up my work (via rsync) to other computers or external disks. The WiFi disconnects are quite annoying, but fortunately I can manually fix them in a few seconds by turning off and then back on the WiFi service. So, in a nutshell, I like the speed of the 2019 MBP and so I use it for work, but it has its annoyances and I don't trust it not to corrupt my code (I have cryptographic proof, and you don't get any stronger evidence than this, of a 2018 MBP corrupting a file on its own internal SSD), so everything I do on the 2019 MBP I repeat at the end of the day on an iMac. I wrote a little program that automates a checksumming (SHA-256 hashes) of the files on both the 2019 MBP and the iMac, and then compares them to make certain that the 2019 MBP did not corrupt any files while I worked on it during the day.

Solouki

orkundanis

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
Yea I feel you, this has been a very annoying situation for most people (myself included). And at this rate I don't know what the solution is.
What I hate the most is the fact that when you tell Apple about this, via phone or in person (with their so called "geniuses"), they pretend as if the customer is crazy and the issue is not even an issue or doesn't exist at all...
This makes this whole situation much more ridiculous
I replicated the issue while geniuses were watching. I found some corrupt files on an HDD.

The 2011 MBP does not panic while transferring the corrupt files. But the iMac Pro and the 2018 MBP panics with "bad magic".

They saw and they believed... But the thing is Apple Turkey says they are aware of the Bad Magic kernel panic. But when you ask what it is all about, they do not comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Wow.. i want to order a new MAcbook Pro 15 inch but topics like these sure make me wait and doubt.
Is this an issue that all modern macs have? People spend thousands and thousands of dollars only to receive what is essentially a bad product.

Are the T2 chips the issue here or something else?

For your information, I believe you are correct. For example, I've had three different 2018 MBPs, one of which had the logic board and touchID board replaced twice each. I now have a 2019 MBP. All of these machines, which are essentially six different machines (4 actual different cases + 2 additional logic and touchID boards changed), have had the same plethora of errors, from Disk Utility First Aid failures to fix internal SSD errors (a royal pain), bluetooth errors, WiFi connection problems, monitor troubles, and kernel panics. On my last machine, the 2019 MBP, so far I only have KPs when awaking from sleep, so I never let the MBP go to sleep without first backing up my work (via rsync) to other computers or external disks. The WiFi disconnects are quite annoying, but fortunately I can manually fix them in a few seconds by turning off and then back on the WiFi service. So, in a nutshell, I like the speed of the 2019 MBP and so I use it for work, but it has its annoyances and I don't trust it not to corrupt my code (I have cryptographic proof, and you don't get any stronger evidence than this, of a 2018 MBP corrupting a file on its own internal SSD), so everything I do on the 2019 MBP I repeat at the end of the day on an iMac. I wrote a little program that automates a checksumming (SHA-256 hashes) of the files on both the 2019 MBP and the iMac, and then compares them to make certain that the 2019 MBP did not corrupt any files while I worked on it during the day.

Solouki
Wow....
So.. maybe i should just buy refurbished 2012 macs? What the Hell Apple....

Reactions: g75d3

orkundanis

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
Wow.. i want to order a new MAcbook Pro 15 inch but topics like these sure make me wait and doubt.
Is this an issue that all modern macs have? People spend thousands and thousands of dollars only to receive what is essentially a bad product.

Are the T2 chips the issue here or something else?
2011 MBP has no problem processing the files I can replicate the problem with. The 2018 iMac Pro and MBP panics. Stay away until it is resolved. #AppleBridgeOSGate or T2Gate.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I was really hoping for a T3 update with the 16". Fingers crossed maybe there are some hardware changes with the 16's T2...

Robotronic

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
So I’ve been out of the loop on this issue for about a year since I sold my iMac Pro and went the Hackintosh route. Can someone give me a TLDR? Has this issue really gone unresolved and still plagues all Macs with T2 chips?

nickf1

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
Sydney, AU
So I’ve been out of the loop on this issue for about a year since I sold my iMac Pro and went the Hackintosh route. Can someone give me a TLDR? Has this issue really gone unresolved and still plagues all Macs with T2 chips?
I’ve had no issue this past year on my iMac Pro or MBP 2018. Seems fixed to me...

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
Just coming across this thread for the first time now.

I've owned a 2018 15' base model MBP for about a year and a half now. For the most part, it's been great aside from a few issues I should take it in for such as a flashing white end of the Touch Bar. However, the only scary thing that's happened with it is that every once a while, the computer begins running very slowly (nothing in the OS can animate properly, visible lag even when moving the mouse), the fans max out and if I check the Activity Monitor a process called "kernel_task" is taking up some ridiculous CPU percentage. Battery drops to 1-2% and won't charge (seemingly). Have to restart the computer once, sometimes twice.

My symptoms sound very similar to some of the stuff in this thread so I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this is the same issues or something different (or, is there anyone way to confirm/deny that this is the BridgeOS thing?). Each time it happens I'm sure my MBP is about to become a paperweight, but then after a few restarts I get a few months of regular usage before it happens again.

nickf1

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
Sydney, AU

I've owned a 2018 15' base model MBP for about a year and a half now. For the most part, it's been great aside from a few issues I should take it in for such as a flashing white end of the Touch Bar. However, the only scary thing that's happened with it is that every once a while, the computer begins running very slowly (nothing in the OS can animate properly, visible lag even when moving the mouse), the fans max out and if I check the Activity Monitor a process called "kernel_task" is taking up some ridiculous CPU percentage. Battery drops to 1-2% and won't charge (seemingly). Have to restart the computer once, sometimes twice.

My symptoms sound very similar to some of the stuff in this thread so I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this is the same issues or something different (or, is there anyone way to confirm/deny that this is the BridgeOS thing?). Each time it happens I'm sure my MBP is about to become a paperweight, but then after a few restarts I get a few months of regular usage before it happens again.
Your issue is definitely weird and worrisome. The Kernel is the heart of the system and may have bursts of activity like you describe but it wouldn’t take the machine to a crawl.
You may have an extension installed on your system that causes the issue. If this happens regularly, I would wipe the machine clean and reinstall the latest macOS and see if it improves. If it doesn’t, have AppleCare look into it.
The BridgeOS issue is more sneaky than what you describe and there’s no way for the final user to fix it, so I think what you’re describing is a bit different. Try a clean wipe if this occurs again. You can also search in the Console app in the logs if you can find any mention of BridgeOS. Good luck and keep us posted ?.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018

You have a thermal issue with it. Here is a support document from Apple to explain:

You should get it looked at by Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.