Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
Your issue is definitely weird and worrisome. The Kernel is the heart of the system and may have bursts of activity like you describe but it wouldn’t take the machine to a crawl.
You may have an extension installed on your system that causes the issue. If this happens regularly, I would wipe the machine clean and reinstall the latest macOS and see if it improves. If it doesn’t, have AppleCare look into it.
The BridgeOS issue is more sneaky than what you describe and there’s no way for the final user to fix it, so I think what you’re describing is a bit different. Try a clean wipe if this occurs again. You can also search in the Console app in the logs if you can find any mention of BridgeOS. Good luck and keep us posted ?.

You have a thermal issue with it. Here is a support document from Apple to explain:

You should get it looked at by Apple.

Thanks for the info guys. I was going to wipe it clean and reinstall, but I'll just back up what I need and get it looked at soon, since it's almost certainly a thermal issue. I'm still under AppleCare fortunately.

nickf1

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
Sydney, AU
Yeah my iMac Pro, bought in April 2018 was horrible, Apple gave me a new one in July 2018, which never had any problem. My MBP 2018 had like 1 or 2 crashes in its whole life since July 2018 and I can't even remember when the last one was.
I think this issue was a combination of bad chips and bad software. Bad chips you could only get a new machine to fix it, bad software, they somehow fixed it now. What's your situation?

DominicHong

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
Not sure, but it usually says panic and flush timeout due to unresponsive processor
I'm having the same issue. I can't do anything at all because it just won't stop freezing, followed by a loud noise from the fan and restart.
Have you solved the issue?

Robotronic

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah my iMac Pro, bought in April 2018 was horrible, Apple gave me a new one in July 2018, which never had any problem. My MBP 2018 had like 1 or 2 crashes in its whole life since July 2018 and I can't even remember when the last one was.
I think this issue was a combination of bad chips and bad software. Bad chips you could only get a new machine to fix it, bad software, they somehow fixed it now. What's your situation?

I bought an iMac Pro in Jan 2018, and could consistently reproduce the BridgeOS crashes with an LG UltraFine 4K monitor attached; without the monitor attached it was fine. I even had two of the monitors and both caused it, so it wasn't a bad monitor. I, foolishly, bought a 13" MBP in the summer of 2018, and it would crash with BridgeOS error while asleep with the lid closed in my bag. Ended up returning the MBP within a couple weeks. I had an open support case with Apple for months for the iMac Pro, with no resolution. I finally sold it, and built a Hackintosh. I now have a 2017 MBP "Escape" non-TouchBar that I bought new just a couple months ago. Ridiculous that I had to resort to buying a 2+ year old laptop to get something reliable (except for the keyboard :rolleyes:). I refuse to buy anything with a T2 chip, it's cursed.

warfed

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Did you replace it with a new one, and if so is it any better? I had to replace one that had some text ghosting issue when scrolling, confirmed with in store tech as a hardware problem. Really don't want to replace another, might just stick with my 2013 for another year or two...

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
Did you replace it with a new one, and if so is it any better? I had to replace one that had some text ghosting issue when scrolling, confirmed with in store tech as a hardware problem. Really don't want to replace another, might just stick with my 2013 for another year or two...

I went through 2.

first one was a i7 base config, had all the issues, and crashed once from BridgeOS.
Exchanged for a i9/1TB/16GB/5500m. It crashed twice with Bridge OS.

so i didn’t want to keep doing the dance. So I returned and am waiting to see if it’s ironed out.

Reactions: g75d3

warfed

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
I went through 2.

first one was a i7 base config, had all the issues, and crashed once from BridgeOS.

so i didn’t want to keep doing the dance. So I returned and am waiting to see if it’s ironed out.

I might have to do the same. I have the coil whine and popping as well, but I don't mind that as much. Unstable hardware is a problem though. Talking to a senior support advisor he said apple is not aware of bridge os errors and there is no software update planned, not holding out hope it'll be fixed anytime soon.

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
I went through 2.

So you'll probably need to update your sig...
From
16 inch RMBP (2.3 GHz i9, 16 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, 5500M)
To
Defective 16 inch RMBP (2.3 GHz i9, 16 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, 5500M) returned for a refund

• Haha
Reactions: ElectricPotato

Spyroprmd

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2019
Has anyone else been getting this error?
Should I return it to Apple?

It's a MBP 15" 2018 i7 with 560X graphics card

Attachments

• IMG_20191125_204205.jpg
    IMG_20191125_204205.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 524

mdesta

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018
For MBP16 people with the crash at wake up time issue, does this issue happens only when waking up while having a second screen plugged? (Which is the case with my MBP16 i9 AMD 5500 8gb).

I shared a couple crash reports on this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mbp-16-crash-with-second-screen.2213091/

Would love to hear if others experience the same issue. Doesn't seem to be T2 but looks like the crash comes from the AMD driver, related to the ACPI.

Last edited:

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I might have to do the same. I have the coil whine and popping as well, but I don't mind that as much. Unstable hardware is a problem though. Talking to a senior support advisor he said apple is not aware of bridge os errors and there is no software update planned, not holding out hope it'll be fixed anytime soon.
They don't know about it because they don't care to. Many people have returned or brought in for service MBP's because of the Bridge OS errors. Even if it was JUST the people on this forum, the odds of which are zero, how can they not know? I returned two 13" 2018 MBP's because of freezing. I bought them from Apple by mail, and when I filled out the return requests they didn't even ask the reason. So how much can they care?

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
For MBP16 people with the crash at wake up time issue, does this issue happens only when waking up while having a second screen plugged? (Which is the case with my MBP16 i9 AMD 5500 8gb).

I shared a couple crash reports on this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mbp-16-crash-with-second-screen.2213091/

Would love to hear if others experience the same issue. Doesn't seem to be T2 but looks like the crash comes from the AMD driver, related to the ACPI.

Nope, I've had mine crash once while it was asleep. Just opened it up and found it restarting. Reported the crash to apple.

Do we know that those crashes are related to the T2? I love this computer but I'm still pretty nervous about these critical issues.

mbguercio

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2019

I'm noticing the issue AFTER I use my laptop not plugged in and then plug it into two LG Ultrafine 5K monitors. The 16" MacBook Pro freezes and the only way to get it unfrozen is to hard power off or pull the Thunderbolt cables for the monitors from the laptop and then the fans run super fast for a second before powering down. Then the computer restarts and I get the "BAD MAGIC! (flag set in iBoot panic header), no MacOS panic log available" prompt. Super great for a brand new $4700 laptop.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I have actually gone through this thread from the start and there are some good suggestions that may have gone lost in the volume. So please let me summarize my conclusions.

The "BridgeOS" message is a bit of a side track. The T2 acts as a watchdog for the system and will report issues with the main processor or system HW. You should look at the "PanicString" which provides a better description of the root cause of the problem. Many user only provide the first lines of the log so we cannot see the "PanicString".

There seems to be a category of panics caused by time out, e.g. of thunderbolt. Noting what kind of HW you have connected and, if possible, try without that HW for a few days can help pin point the problem.

There is possibly a problem with some kext, e.g. there has been some reference to audio drivers earlier in the thread. At least in one case that was stated in the panic information.

There are some type of errors where we really do not get more information we can act on, like:
- CPU Core, time out when waking from sleep
- CATERR - Intel CPU catastrophic error
- BAD MAGIC - I interpret this, as the log information the T2 is expecting from the Intel CPU is missing

The first 3000 posts in this thread, was from 2018 July - December. So it seems, this is less of a problem today. I guess what we think of as one problem, the T2, is really a number of different problems reported by the BridgeOS. Apple has fixed some of these, but some still remain.

May I suggest we try to be as specific as we can when posting to help solving the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.