Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinphildd

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2018
MacBook Pro 2019 16" here. Specs don't matter since it's the T2 chip making it run like crap, but 64gb ram, 8-core i9, 8gb amd radeon 5500M. Literally no point to these specs since the T2 crashes my macOS in the exact same way everyone else here is complaining of.

T2 model: J152fAP

What's concerning is the bugs seem to be born out of apple's desire to remove boot sequence controls/power from intel cpu and route that to their T2 chip, making a custom boot sequence. Shouldn't this be developed behind the scenes? Right now it's being rolled out in a beta state.

How many different models of T2 are we looking at here in this forum that people are reporting all these bugs from, making the system unusable. How scary, Apple has all these varieties of T2 chip already and not a single one is bug free. Greta says how dare you Tim Cook. Landfill created by refunds due to engineering laziness.

So sorry to say, the next MacBook Apple made is suffering from very similar problems.

For some reason, Apple is ignoring these errors and still shipping machines out, and marketing the latest to the 'creative industry', which in particular is the most affected out of everyone. Apple thinks it is more important that people buy super expensive devices and experience this beta nightmare first hand, instead of shipping it in later years when it's truly ready! Sounds like a problem up the top, has anyone seen Tim Cook's face with a computer in hand! No idea!!! So pathetic!!

Here is a video detailing what apple have done so far and are still doing with the T2 chips (ignoring main topic is about hackintosh):

Also - is the T2 the reason apple phased out the famous bootup chime? It does wreak havoc on audio...

Last edited:

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
The T2 chip acts as a watchdog for the system. With ”bad magic” it is reporting a kernel panic Intel processor that did not leave a log file.

Look in the panic string fields of the log file it may point to the root cause. Blaming the messenger (T2) is not effective.

Reactions: filmak

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I have a 2019 mbp 15" that shows J780AP 4.2 upon putting in that command line. About 2 weeks ago, I had my first crash of my mbp since I bought it in July this year. It was running 10.15.2 at the time. The touch bar froze and the computer completely locked up. I didn't think I would fall victim to the infamous t2 chip problem. Typing in the command line to see the previous shutdown cause revealed -20. I tried looking this up online to no avail. Does anyone know what -20 shutdown cause mean?

I also have a 2019 mba that rebooted itself during sleep while it was running 10.15.1. The hell? Never had this issue before I installed catalina.

Catalina has to be the buggiest macos I've ever used since 2012.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Louis Rossmann:

All of that ranting... Making a video... And he didn't bother to check that this bug was fixed in March with 10.14.4.

Reactions: me55

g75d3

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2014
Forums indicate that audio dropout issue when using usb audio interface is NOT completely fixed with 10.14.4

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The T2 chip acts as a watchdog for the system. With ”bad magic” it is reporting a kernel panic Intel processor that did not leave a log file.

Look in the panic string fields of the log file it may point to the root cause. Blaming the messenger (T2) is not effective.
Blaming the T2 chip is "not effective"? Has it escaped you that this is happening ONLY to T2-equipped Macs? And across ALL models with the T2 chip, including iMac Pros, the MBP and new Macbook Airs? And that it is NOT happening on regular iMacs or older MBP's or Airs, none of which have the T2, running with the same MacOS's? But the problem is not the T2? No one will be mistaking you for Columbo...

Last edited:
Reactions: xgman and g75d3

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Forums indicate that audio dropout issue when using usb audio interface is NOT completely fixed with 10.14.4

Everything I can find is pointing to that specific bug being fixed.

Some people are still having issues with USB dropouts on various Macs (at various buffer sizes), but that has always been the case on any machine running USB (windows or Mac).

For instance here.

People saying 'totally fixed', but some people having problems still. But the people having problems aren't on T2 Macs...

markedlymac

macrumors member
May 24, 2018
I'm going to return my 2018 MBP soon, and I want to use recent crash logs of my T2 chip to help prove the machine is defective.

But they seem to have disappeared. Anyone know where to find them now? I used to see them in Console.app but now I can't seem to find them via a search of 'Bridge' like I used to.

For the first three monhs I documented every single T2 crash with a manual paste of the log at reboot, like this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 12.10.05 pm.png

But aafter certain point I just stopped collecting them, knowing they're stored in Console anyway.

Did I make a mistaake, cause where the hell are they now?

Is it possible that Apple have deliberately removed T2 crash logs from user's computers, so that they have no written or digital evidence to prove their machines are defective? We know how insidious Apple have been in flaat-out denying these defects even exist, it's absolutely shocking:

Or, did the Catalina update wipe past logs, for some reason?

I never clear logs with third party apps like CleanMyMac or anything. AFAIK I haven't accidentally done this in the past several months.

I know I have enough evidence just from my earlier logs and from public reports about the whole scandal anyway (to win in the Australian consumer law Tribunal, if need be), and I have the keyboard problem as its own justification for a full refund anywaay (notice my 'A' key both repeaating AND then not working right below my sscreenshot? oh look just happened gain? yeh...****.)

gyunter

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
Anyone know where to find them now?
What happened to me at a certain point (most probably after another "hotfix" or Catalina release) - the system has stopped providing popups with crash logs after reboot, neither I could trace any log files, so no more evidence for me as well.

I have been documenting most of the logs to .txt since January 2019.
I have also recorded some videos right after my system freezes and till it reboots with popup and logs. I can provide those to you as an evidence if that can help you.

Is it possible that Apple have deliberately removed T2 crash logs from user's computers, so that they have no written or digital evidence to prove their machines are defective?
We don't know that for a fact, and will never know. But that was my first thought.

I can offer adding speakers crackling (popping) issue to your complaint list.

I'm about to sue Apple in Russia in January, I had no luck complaining to local offices here and to headquarters in Ireland. And I feel desperate to fight against their lawyers, but I feel I should try.

know I have enough evidence just from my earlier logs and from public reports about the whole scandal anyway (to win in the Australian consumer law Tribunal, if need be)
If you have any evidence that can be useful in tribunal/court, please, share.

Reactions: TurbanBam and g75d3

markedlymac

macrumors member
May 24, 2018
@gyunter

Thank you for sharing that.

I can share all the tips and experience in the world for the Australian process, but you're in Russia so I can't help you - completely different jurisdiction, rules, rights, protections, ruling conventions, etc. Does Russia actually have a consumer protection agency, and if so, do they favourably protect Russians, especially if it's an American company who sold a ****** defective product to the Russian consumer for a ridiculous amount of their money?

If so, maybe you have a chance. Research it well, see if you can make a case that fits within the consumer rules for businesses, in your rights to seek a refund / replacement, and on their obligation to provide that, and then proceed.

PM me if you want further advice though, as this is off topic. Or maybe start a thread for 'How to sue Apple as a consumer for product defects' in the appropriate section? I'm sure I and others would love to share our painful but interesting stories.

In Australia, they're super strong in protecting consumers. Our agency - the ACCC - has long had Internationally fame for cracking down on companies preying on Australian customers, like Apple does with its product defects - the worst of which I am sure is the 2016-2019 MBP product line. Consumers can bring enforceable legal action against a company for only a $50 AUD application fee - no lawyers are allowed, you represent yourself, and you're protected against being counter-sued or having to pay the company's own legal preparation costs (unless your case really is frivolous / malicious and it's clear you don't have evidence of a defect). The company is not allowed to have a lawyer to come to the hearing, it's all designed to protect the consumer and put them on an equal footing.

It's still stressful and time consuming, but sometimes it's the only course of action. If need be it's what I'll be doing with my 2018 MBP over the next several weeks.

Reactions: simonmet

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I've given up on this ever being fixed a long time back. I don't get it too often now, but whatever features this was supposed to provide are all useless to me anyway. Still, I'd take 1000 T2 chips over one instance of Catalina.

Reactions: g75d3

krikorola

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
I have the same issue on a Mac mini I7 with iBridge2,5 J174AP 4.2 (17P2551/17.16.12551.0.0,0).
As soon as I put the machine to sleep it crashes, and I get random freezes and crashes while working.
I'm on Mojave, Catalina is a no go for me as I'm working on audio and need some old apps.
[automerge]1578120919[/automerge]
Same T2 and crashes all the time going in sleep mode
Also freezes when working and I sometime need to force reboot.

iBridge2,5 J174AP 4.2 (17P2551/17.16.12551.0.0,0)

Last edited:

jat80

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
I had this problem on my 2018 13" MacBook Pro for nearly a year. Finally took it into apple repairer (I don't have an apple store near me) and after explaining the problem in detail to them and showing them my crash reports they replaced the logic board and Touch Bar under warranty and I've had ZERO PROBLEMS since.

Old T2 chip details: 16P6571
New details: 17P1081

orkundanis

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
When you search for bad magic nothing comes up on Apple Communities forum. Yet we have long thread on Apple Communities forums which is full of people.

I had my Imac pro replaced in over 6 months, they ghost me with my MacBook pro 2018. This time I have a service report that they cannot fix it.

I lost my customers because of these faulty units, so I suggest people stay away until a resolution is put forth.

Reactions: g75d3

markedlymac

macrumors member
May 24, 2018
I am now getting a very common, daily symptom (on my 2018 MBP which is soon to be returned):

When I'm watching a video in full screen (e.g. YouTube, sometimes movies in MPV), the video suddenly freezes for about 1-2 seconds. Sound continues to work...but screen unresponsive.

My Mac never used to do this. I think it's how Apple have tried to recently 'fix' the issue for the 2018 MBP. I have not noticed a crash for about 2 weeks now, but instead, I get this new symptom. It drives me mad.

I think it's since Catalina the update when I also mysteriously notice my T2 crash logs in Console have ALL been deleted by Apple.

betadecay

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
I had this problem on my 2018 13" MacBook Pro for nearly a year. Finally took it into apple repairer (I don't have an apple store near me) and after explaining the problem in detail to them and showing them my crash reports they replaced the logic board and Touch Bar under warranty and I've had ZERO PROBLEMS since.

Old T2 chip details: 16P6571
New details: 17P1081

Same for me: Replacement of TouchBar and LogicBoard solved it for me, too!
Chip: iBridge2,4 J132AP 4.2 (17P2551/17.16.12551.0.0,0)

Reactions: jat80

Matteo Tono

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2020
Whole story is here mark my words, I did a lot of research on this. The issue is due to Apple placing a non x86 command set ARM based T2 chip in between intel processor and SSD. (This happened in 2018. Any unit bought after this date is a candidate of this hardware/software error.) To conduct the command translation, they wrote the Bridge OS. Before Catalina I was getting Bridge OS kernel panics with my macbook pro and imac pro. With Catalina it has turned to “ BAD MAGIC” error.

I have files I keep to replicate the issue in front of geniuses. Because there is no console log when this happens. They take your macbook pro or imac pro in and say it is ok.

PROBABLE SOLUTIONS WHICH MAY WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE (NONE WORKED FOR ME BY THE WAY =0 )

——-TURN OFF ANY SECURTIY MEASURES THAT NECESSITATES THE USE OF T2 CHIP (SECURE BOOT, DISK ENCRYPTION ETC) from recovery screen before starting mac os.

——-reset the T2 controller: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295#t2"

——"Another recommendation was to reflash the T2 controller firmware: https://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/2.7.1/?lang=en#/apdebea5be51"

———T2 chip query (to check whether replacement logic board is the same faulty batch or not)

Here is the method to find it:

1. Open Terminal

2. cd /usr/libexec

For short info:

./remotectl list

<your UUID> localbridge iBridge2,3 J680AP 3.6 (16P6571/16.16.6571.0.0,0) -

For all the details:

./remotectl dumpstate

I set a camera everytime I worked with the computer and showed the geniuses the videos of kernel panics. Apple support knows the bad magic error yet they make you run thru all the protocol they are given by Apple. Do not give up. Some are really rude. Push push push. I made the apple store prepare reports that the computer cannot be fixed (stamped and signed)

Both of my machines got their logic boards replaced (memory also for imac pro, for macbook pro memory and ssd is on the logic board) I got them replaced. But the issue is on going. There are reddit users reporting problems with 16” macbook pros...

Get your money back if you can, there is definitely something wrong with the T2 hardware. Had it been software, they would have solved it since High Sierra. I am having the issue since High Sierra, Mojave and now Catalina. This issue is very serious but turns out that it will be addressed just like the iphone 6s battery-gate. It took them years to admit... Please write to me and I will try my best to help. Good luck everyone.

I have just had an issue on my 16 inch new macbook pro, it was charging and on stop and as soon as I opened the lid BAM kernel panic... I am still in the 14 days of return policy here in Italy where I live. Should I still get my money back or is it going to take so long to be fixed that it is not even worth the wait?

zavrelj

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018
I have just had an issue on my 16 inch new macbook pro, it was charging and on stop and as soon as I opened the lid BAM kernel panic... I am still in the 14 days of return policy here in Italy where I live. Should I still get my money back or is it going to take so long to be fixed that it is not even worth the wait?

Return it. I did the same with 2018 model and now I’m waiting for T3 chip model.

bgalakazam

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Germany
2018 13" Macbook Pro touchbar, still have this issue for almost a year.

T2
Firmware Version: 17P2551

I tried all sorts of updates, patches, resets, reinstall, downgrade, upgrade, nothing helps. The error is random. It would work normally for days, it would crash multiple times a day. Sadly I am overseas so it's not as easy to access warranty repair with decent English.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
There's a new article discussing this issue here:

Mine is a bit unique with a 16 inch MacBook Pro because the issue ONLY happens when I try to restart. Instead of restarting it shuts down, and when I turn it back on manually, I get the Bad Magic error when logging in.

The fans maxing out in speed after the Mac crashes was the tell, that's EXACTLY what happens to me, so even though I don't get random crashes, I appear to have the same T2 related issue.

I am beyond pissed, because had it been random crashes I would have been able to return it during the holiday extended return period, but alas because it only crashed when restarting I didn't focus on troubleshooting the issue until it was too late.

Thanks Apple!

alberti82

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
I have been experiencing the same problems since a couple of months, getting a kernel panic almost every time the computer wakes up from a prolonged (after a few minutes at least) sleep period. The first few lines of the log say:
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G2022)","os_version":"Bridge OS 4.2 (17P2551)","macos_system_state":"running","incident_id":"C6C02869-EB0E-46AA-92B1-4A570BF76DF0","timestamp":"2020-01-23 19:07:41.82 +0000","bug_type":"210"}

My Mac is an iMac Pro 2017 bought in April 2018 running under Mojave, as shown in the image:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-26 um 11.34.31.png

My workaround to the problem is preventing the computer from going to sleep. This fixes the kernel panic problem. However, this is unfortunate as it comes with extra energy consumption and it is not environmentally friendly. For that I disabled the option:
Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off

Does anyone know any better workaround allowing the computer to go into sleep mode?

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
You may find more usefull information in the PanicString further down in the log.

A common problem seems to be related to waking thunderbolt devices from sleep.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
After a visit to the Apple Store, we discovered another clue where the kernel panic did not happen when the MacBook was not plugged in or using a peripheral. It rebooted just fine on battery with no other peripherals connected. Once the power adapter was connected the issue returned, the MacBook fails to reboot and I get the bad magic/kernel panic error on login again. I was able to secure a refund and order a new replacement though.

I think for a lot of you there's no point in trying to keep troubleshooting this after you've run through all the usual steps, it's a hardware problem and it needs repair or a full replacement.

To save time before going to Apple, make sure you do all the steps down to resetting the SMC, NVRAM, booting in Safe Mode, creating a new user account, reinstalling the OS via recovery mode, and finally wiping the Mac clean, then write down that you performed all these troubleshooting steps. When you make a Genius appointment, you just have to show them what you did, then see if you can trigger the issue to further confirm it. It saves them and you a huge amount of time, and when it's provably shown to be a hardware issue, they tend to be more flexible with repair and replacement options.

Reactions: Pektin

Matteo Tono

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2020
To update my experience, I decided not to return my machine. I stressed the computer in any way possible, connecting different monitors and rebooting, also as opening corrupted files, and saw that the problem only occured in certain instances (such as charging+monitor+corrupted file opened). After creating a bootcamp partition and installing windows 10 via usb, I stressed it the same way, and had no crashes on that part, and it can't be because the T2 chip was not being used, since the T2 chip IS used to inject the APPLESSD driver in windows, hence using it also while in use. My best bet is that the BridgeOS, and not the chip itself, is,having a hard time with the updates since High Sierra, but since such a small nieche of buyers have this issue (and having had all of the major ones such as the butterfly keyboard) it was not prioritized in the different updates, but I hope it will be just a matter of time for them to fix this bug too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.