Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
To update my experience, I decided not to return my machine. I stressed the computer in any way possible, connecting different monitors and rebooting, also as opening corrupted files, and saw that the problem only occured in certain instances (such as charging+monitor+corrupted file opened). After creating a bootcamp partition and installing windows 10 via usb, I stressed it the same way, and had no crashes on that part, and it can't be because the T2 chip was not being used, since the T2 chip IS used to inject the APPLESSD driver in windows, hence using it also while in use. My best bet is that the BridgeOS, and not the chip itself, is,having a hard time with the updates since High Sierra, but since such a small nieche of buyers have this issue (and having had all of the major ones such as the butterfly keyboard) it was not prioritized in the different updates, but I hope it will be just a matter of time for them to fix this bug too.
Did you update to Catalina? Haven't experienced any crashes on my 16in yet.

jat80

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
2018 13" Macbook Pro touchbar, still have this issue for almost a year.

T2
Firmware Version: 17P2551

I tried all sorts of updates, patches, resets, reinstall, downgrade, upgrade, nothing helps. The error is random. It would work normally for days, it would crash multiple times a day. Sadly I am overseas so it's not as easy to access warranty repair with decent English.

I think the only way you will be able to fix it is take it to an approved repairer. Get them to replace the logic board and Touch Bar. I would copy the kernel panic reports into a note on your computer (iCloud notes would be good) then you can show the repairer when you go in to make it easier for them to diagnose. Hope you get it sorted.

stormseq

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
HELP!!

Bridge os error crashes started 2 months back or so, I updated the os to Mojave and that solved the problem. Now again my laptop is stuck on reboot loop. After logging in i can barely use it for 2 minutes and it freezes/restarts. I have tried every possible solution mentioned here. Just now did a clean wipe & reinstalled Mojave, still same problem!!

Is my macbook doomed? I will take it to service centre, it’s out of warranty. :((

Could this be an hardware issue? Catalina is a no go for me.

Reactions: g75d3

llj5935

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2020
Some temporary solutions:
1. Disable FileVault and Hey Siri
2. Reset SMC and NVRAM/PRAM
3. Disable PowerNap, Hardrive sleep, Wake for WiFi connection and let the screen never sleep.

Follow these 3 steps can reduce the possibility of T2 Crash dramatically, but can not solve it once for all.
Apple, if you see this, please provide an option for us to disable T2 chip completely.

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
3. Disable PowerNap, Hardrive sleep, Wake for WiFi connection and let the screen never sleep.

Follow these 3 steps can reduce the possibility of T2 Crash dramatically, but can not solve it once for all.
Apple, if you see this, please provide an option for us to disable T2 chip completely.
There's no way to disable T2, it controls vital parts of the Mac, it's like disabling your Mac, it is not even possible to power on without the T2 chip.

bgalakazam

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Germany
2018 13" Macbook Pro touchbar, still have this issue for almost a year.

T2
Firmware Version: 17P2551

I tried all sorts of updates, patches, resets, reinstall, downgrade, upgrade, nothing helps. The error is random. It would work normally for days, it would crash multiple times a day. Sadly I am overseas so it's not as easy to access warranty repair with decent English.
So I had the keyboard, touchbar and battery piece swapped under warranty due to a service program for button repeating. I did notice that my crashes stopped (at least for a week, I need more time to be sure it's gone). Also my firmware changed:

Firmware Version: 17P3050

Was this due to the hardware swap or it was just an update? As far as I know my Catalina didn't get updated since then.

stormseq

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
Guys! My 15 mbp 2018 is sitting in the service centre useless. I won’t work more than 2 minutes, if i copy a file/ play youtube video it will crash, then the other day it worked fine entire day and the service advisor asked me to pick it up the next day, i call in next day and again its freezing. They are asking to replace logic board. It costs around 1300$ Usd where im based, but has only 90 days warranty, what if i get another bad logic board?
How can I trust this model anymore?

Anyone here knows the cost of new logic board in the States? Can there be a cheaper alternative like refurbished logic board through apple? My mbp is 3 months out of warranty. :(

ski542002

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2018
In addition to a 2017 MBPro 15", I also have a 2018 MBAir. Both running Mojave now, but plan a Catalina update in the next few days. Never had the issue with my 15 Pro, but I do see the Bridge OS error from time-to-time on my Air. Leave the Air running overnight with the lid closed. Next morning, I get the "your Mac was restarted because of a problem" message, and the crash log mentions the "bridge error".

jonwchgo

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2020
A similar/related manifestation bit me.
  • Woke Mac (MacBookPro15,1 -- Mojave 10.14.6 (18G3020) -- 1037.80.53.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.13050.0.0,0))
  • Unlocked
  • Plugged in A1621 adapter (sleeping external monitor, power supply, USB keyboard)
  • The onboard "started charging" sound played with short silences interspersed (like quarter second of sound, quarter second of silence...maybe 2 or 3 silences)
  • The monitor never awoke (unusually)
  • the mac crashed. Bad Magic.

4sallypat

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
New to this thread:

I am having multiple kernel panic crash & restarting issues with my new MBP 16".

3 weeks straight at least once a day I get a "ProxiedDevice-Bridge", "WindowsServer WatchdogTimer", or "Thunderbolt power on failed" problem report messages.

Apple support asked if I am running Windows and said no - pure MacOS. Then asked what peripherals I have connected which is the Apple charger + TB3 to TB2 Apple adapter for my 27" TB display which has all the cabling on the back (Ethernet, FW800 HDD, Apple USB mouse & KB...

Apple support said I needed to do a Catalina upgrade to 10.15.3, SMC reset and PRAM reset which I did and still not fixed.

They said I would have to reinstall the OS.

Is this normal ?

Quite frustrated as this machine replaced my 2012 MBP that has been trusty and working like a champ.
Sometimes, the 16" MBP does not respond so I switch it out back to the 2012 so that I can remain productive.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I this normal? Seems so if you have a T2 mac. Should it be? NO!!!!!

For me, it seems to come in waves, which has been a lot lately, with no real hints of why.

Reactions: g75d3 and 4sallypat

stormseq

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
Hi guys, so frustrated with this problem so i have started a new petition, I request everyone who is going to through this problem to sign & share and hopefully this takes us somewhere

bgalakazam

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Germany
Whatever that keyboard/touchpad/battery/touchbar replacement did, my Macbook doesn't crash anymore. Perhaps a faulty touchbar/fingerprint sensor? Regardsless, issue is gone now and my only change was the swap.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Whatever that keyboard/touchpad/battery/touchbar replacement did, my Macbook doesn't crash anymore. Perhaps a faulty touchbar/fingerprint sensor? Regardsless, issue is gone now and my only change was the swap.
I believe you get an entire new logic board in those cases.

Reactions: me55

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Had this happen to me on my new(two months old) base model MBP16”.

Only thing I did differently when waking it from sleep, was plug in an external usb hard drive before unlocking with TouchID. The desktop came onto the screen, the computer froze, and after a couple of seconds, the fan spun up and the thing turned off.

Started up just fine after that. I hope this isnt a hardware issue?

Reactions: me55

stormseq

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
@hawkeye_a Yes, it's same problem we guys have been facing, initially my mbp would crash once in 2 weeks or so just like yours, and i did not take it seriously, slightly post out of warranty it started happening more often and to a state where it cannot be used for more than 2 minutes without the laptop crashing. I say next time this happnes keep your phone ready and get a video and take it to the apple store for inspection right away.

UPDATE
MBP would not work for more than 2 minutes, screen would freeze, fans go full speed and reboot with bridge os error. It was stuck in a loop, took it to service centre it was sitting there for 3 weeks, in the meanwhile i was fighting with apple to resolve this, no luck.

Finally i picked it up from the service centre and it was working ok, how?? Even the service advisor was shocked (and embarrassed because i was told to change the logic board as it would not work for more than 2mins), its been 4 days my mbp has been running fine on Catalina, i am trying to crash it because i have to share the crash logs with apple care but it wont crash, even played a heavy game on it. Whats going on ??

I cannot trust this machine anymore, i am not going to invest on another logic board which has only 90 days warranty, what if the same problem starts again?

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Had this happen to me on my new(two months old) base model MBP16”.

Only thing I did differently when waking it from sleep, was plug in an external usb hard drive before unlocking with TouchID. The desktop came onto the screen, the computer froze, and after a couple of seconds, the fan spun up and the thing turned off.

Started up just fine after that. I hope this isnt a hardware issue?
You hope that this isn't a hardware issue? Have you not looked at these 152 pages of posts??

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
@hawkeye_a Yes, it's same problem we guys have been facing, initially my mbp would crash once in 2 weeks or so just like yours, and i did not take it seriously, slightly post out of warranty it started happening more often and to a state where it cannot be used for more than 2 minutes without the laptop crashing. I say next time this happnes keep your phone ready and get a video and take it to the apple store for inspection right away.

UPDATE
MBP would not work for more than 2 minutes, screen would freeze, fans go full speed and reboot with bridge os error. It was stuck in a loop, took it to service centre it was sitting there for 3 weeks, in the meanwhile i was fighting with apple to resolve this, no luck.

Finally i picked it up from the service centre and it was working ok, how?? Even the service advisor was shocked (and embarrassed because i was told to change the logic board as it would not work for more than 2mins), its been 4 days my mbp has been running fine on Catalina, i am trying to crash it because i have to share the crash logs with apple care but it wont crash, even played a heavy game on it. Whats going on ??

I cannot trust this machine anymore, i am not going to invest on another logic board which has only 90 days warranty, what if the same problem starts again?

I seems like it's a combination of factors. T2 chip, Catalina, USB-C devices, power management, encryption, and maybe some background task like indexing. (Of course this is just speculation, as 'Bad Magic' could be anything). IMHO.

I'll just keep an eye on it.

Sachapomme

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2020
Any news about the Previous shutdown cause: -11 ? I know some of you on that thread had it in the past year. My MacBook 15" 2018 keeps shutting down abruptly and the log shows -11 when the kernel panic occurred I guess?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.