Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Let's see what happens. Seems it's still in the air if Lewis will be racing?
But I'm excited to see the new cars. Been waiting for 2 years for this! New rules, cars, some new tracks. I hope to see closer racing too.

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
What’s everybody’s wildest predictions for the 2022 season?
Verstappen does a Rosberg and retires from F1 to spend more time with his money family. At the end of the season, the stewards are declared winners of the WDC as they have taken more points in penalties than every other driver combined. Ferrari abandon the 2022 season car to concentrate on developing the 2023 car. Pastor Maldonado returns.

kToni73

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Germany
I thought as it’s a New year we should probably start to look forward to this year rather than looking back on last.

What are my hopes for 2022? More of the same please! Close racing. Yes.

Happily lose
  • inconsistent stewards.
  • Team principals on the radio to the race Director
  • Sky broadcasting
  • Drop sprint racing (gimmick)
Ugh, I wish Sky would disappear. Here in Germany it's the only way to watch F1. I have a workaround to which I pay for F1 TV from Croatia, and watch from here. But I wish I didn't have to do such stuff.
Sky costs 20€ a month, F1 TV Pro is 8€ a month...

This is exactly the reason why Germany still has no HBO Max ...

Looking forward to the new season, new cars & new orange wins ?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Ugh, I wish Sky would disappear. Here in Germany it's the only way to watch F1. I have a workaround to which I pay for F1 TV from Croatia, and watch from here. But I wish I didn't have to do such stuff.
Sky costs 20€ a month, F1 TV Pro is 8€ a month...

This is exactly the reason why Germany still has no HBO Max ...

Looking forward to the new season, new cars & new orange wins ?

Agree, I see that F1 TV app, and the Pro version is not available in the U.K. either, all due to Sky’s monopoly on it. That will continue though as Sky think nothing of paying billions for sports broadcasting rights, they spend 5 billion or more for a single football league for 3 years. And now they are owned by an American giant with more money in the pot.
I may look into the VPN workaround route for F1 TV Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: kToni73

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As much as I have loved supporting Lewis all these years, I want to see the likes of Lando and George winning this year as they are the next generation. I just hope McLaren haven’t done what they often do and create a shambles of a car. They were getting close last season after many years of development with minimal regs changes and this coming year concerns me. I think Lando is the better driver out of him and Russell but George is obviously very talented too. A great era for British talent I hope.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
When Haas first came to F1 their strategy was to do their first season and base themselves in Banbury, and then move facilities to the United States. They never did leave the heartland of F1 and I wonder why? lol
They shouldn't.

They'll be even down the grid if they leave Europe/UK.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
They shouldn't.

They'll be even down the grid if they leave Europe/UK.

Indeed. There is a reason some many F1 teams are based in England as the engineering resources here are so rich. They also have staff moving between teams all the time and it’s a hard sell when one team is thousands of miles away from the others.

I remember Adrian Newey being offered obscene amounts of money to join Ferrari and he turned it down because he didn’t want to relocate his family to Italy.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Isn’t he supposed to have this super long contract?

I think so yeah but as we all know an F1 contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on when money is in the equation. Cue Kimi and Alonso at the Scuderia. I don’t think they’ll replace Charles with their reserve Mick this season, but if Carlos keeps outperforming him like we saw last year, Ferrari may consider their options I think. They need a good car first though as it’s definitely a variable.

kToni73

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Germany
I think so yeah but as we all know an F1 contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on when money is in the equation. Cue Kimi and Alonso at the Scuderia. I don’t think they’ll replace Charles with their reserve Mick this season, but if Carlos keeps outperforming him like we saw last year, Ferrari may consider their options I think. They need a good car first though as it’s definitely a variable.
Well said. Excited to see what 2022. has for us

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020

Can't wait for the 2022 season! :)

While waiting - here is some cool reminiscing of past glory years.

I totally forgot Mansell was an active suspension test pilot for Lotus, before moving to Williams.... and then he demolished the field when the stars finally aligned for him! ??

...It literally started with 1 line of code for the Williams active suspension programming!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Lots of stories coming in that Michael Masi has lost his position as Race Director. He is missing from the organisational chart and lots of F1 sources now reporting this. I’m guessing the investigation the FIA pledged to do didn’t quite go in his favour. Will there next be an acknowledgment the rules were breached by Masi in the final laps of Abu Dhabi? We will see lol.

Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Mercedes are denying it, but reports state that they agreed to drop their appeal if the FIA agreed to remove Masi as Race Director.

Both Masi and Technical Director Nikolas Tombazis appear to have been removed from office and now Peter Bayer appears to be handling both roles for 2022.

Reactions: pachyderm

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Still too soon. Raw from the handling of the last race. That's not pro or anti any driver. I still am bereft of any understanding on how and why the decisions were made. It also doesn't appear it will ever be forthcoming.

A green lap last lap is not a decision. It's the consequence of one.

kToni73

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Germany
Lots of stories coming in that Michael Masi has lost his position as Race Director. He is missing from the organisational chart and lots of F1 sources now reporting this. I’m guessing the investigation the FIA pledged to do didn’t quite go in his favour. Will there next be an acknowledgment the rules were breached by Masi in the final laps of Abu Dhabi? We will see lol.
Oh wow, that was some heavy information right there. Michael "The Rule Bender" Masi

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
‘If’ he has been sacked/moved then I don’t think it is just because of his antics in the closing laps of Abu Dhabi. He made some quite questionable decisions throughout 2021 in all areas. I had never heard a race director negotiate with a team the type of penalty they wanted for example. His snarky replies to team principles also showed he struggled under pressure. He is the wrong man for the job and he’s damaged the perception of the sport and the FIA are in damage limitation.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Mercedes are denying it, but reports state that they agreed to drop their appeal if the FIA agreed to remove Masi as Race Director.

Both Masi and Technical Director Nikolas Tombazis appear to have been removed from office and now Peter Bayer appears to be handling both roles for 2022.

It‘s all coming down to Friday’s meeting between Toto and the new FIA President Sulayem. Masi goes and Mercedes drops the appeals, and Lewis returns in 2022.

Masi stays the appeals are filed and Lewis retires from F1.

Lewis will not return if Masi is still Race Director. Either way I fully expect the FIA to still be in Chaos.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It‘s all coming down to Friday’s meeting between Toto and the new FIA President Sulayem. Masi goes and Mercedes drops the appeals, and Lewis returns in 2022.

Masi stays the appeals are filed and Lewis retires from F1.

Lewis will not return if Masi is still Race Director. Either way I fully expect the FIA to still be in Chaos.
I highly doubt Lewis would end his career over it. When he goes it will be on his terms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.