Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Lots of talk about Russell and Lewis, well Russell is a rookie still, and he showed that in some of his driving this year. He isn‘t as skilled as Lewis, BUT unlike Lewis he does actually overtake others.

Anyway lots of exciting changes it seems.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Lots of talk about Russell and Lewis, well Russell is a rookie still, and he showed that in some of his driving this year. He isn‘t as skilled as Lewis, BUT unlike Lewis he does actually overtake others.

Anyway lots of exciting changes it seems.

Lewis has always been known for his strength in overtaking hasn’t he? There were plenty of recent examples last season I thought, unless I’m missing something?

He made up multiple places in Brazil and even had a double overtake at Monza this year on Norris and Gasly. Even Max praised him for that one. I’m guessing you’re probably joking the more I write this lol.

Reactions: steve09090

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Lewis has always been known for his strength in overtaking hasn’t he? There were plenty of recent examples last season I thought, unless I’m missing something?

He made up multiple places in Brazil and even had a double overtake at Monza this year on Norris and Gasly. Even Max praised him for that one. I’m guessing you’re probably joking the more I write this lol.

Seems you did miss things, like when he was in 16th is so and didn’t overtake anyone, whilst George was overtaking the field. I remember that, and it was on more then one race.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Seems you did miss things, like when he was in 16th is so and didn’t overtake anyone, whilst George was overtaking the field. I remember that, and it was on more then one race.

I suppose none of them are perfect. Checo is better at controlling the car in heavy braking zones than Max but there’s more to a driver than just one aspect. I can can think of many examples of Hamilton throughout his career overtaking multiple cars and coming from far up the grid. Brazil 21 and Brazil 22 are recently examples. He’s always been praised for his overtaking ability and clean approach. If you take your example from this season and maybe the 2011 season where Lewis had a nightmare, it would tell a different story to the 13 other seasons where he’s better I suppose.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Was that Saudi Arabia by any chance back in March? It was a dismal race for Lewis and if we believe him and Merc they said they tried a gamble with his setup and it didn’t work, whereas George had a setup defined from a previous weekend. However it is highly likely he ran out of talent that weekend and was exposed for what he is and not able to be carried by a superior car. That seems to be the common theory on social media and I’m beginning to accept that’s what people think.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I suppose none of them are perfect. Checo is better at controlling the car in heavy braking zones than Max but there’s more to a driver than just one aspect. I can can think of many examples of Hamilton throughout his career overtaking multiple cars and coming from far up the grid. Brazil 21 and Brazil 22 are recently examples. He’s always been praised for his overtaking ability and clean approach. If you take your example from this season and maybe the 2011 season where Lewis had a nightmare, it would tell a different story to the 13 other seasons where he’s better I suppose.

My examples are all from last here. He can overtake as many as he likes during his career, but he’s not paid mullions due to last races. Perhaps George is much better using the new car and getting it to work during the race, even with his slightly rookie driving.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My examples are all from last here. He can overtake as many as he likes during his career, but he’s not paid mullions due to last races. Perhaps George is much better using the new car and getting it to work during the race, even with his slightly rookie driving.
I don't know to be honest. They seemed fairly even last year with Lewis slightly better in the second half of the season over all. It was a season to forget for both drivers to be honest considering what that team is capable of. When a multiple World Champion is not fighting for a championship, the focus becomes less about beating your team mate who is fighting for fourth and more about trying to understand how the performance can be improved for 2023 and be in with a fighting chance of going for the title. Lewis has nothing to prove at this point and George has everything to prove which is why I don't have any concerns at this point.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I don't know to be honest. They seemed fairly even last year with Lewis slightly better in the second half of the season over all. It was a season to forget for both drivers to be honest considering what that team is capable of. When a multiple World Champion is not fighting for a championship, the focus becomes less about beating your team mate who is fighting for fourth and more about trying to understand how the performance can be improved for 2023 and be in with a fighting chance of going for the title. Lewis has nothing to prove at this point and George has everything to prove which is why I don't have any concerns at this point.
I'm pretty sure Lewis will be fine.

Let's hope the car and the team are up so snuff in 2023. I mean it has to be a car/development issue when you go from winning almost every other race to only winning only one, right? And that one win had to have the perfect scenario to be realized, right?

Fingers crossed they get it correct on the drawing board and that it translates to the actual machine.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure Lewis will be fine.

Let's hope the car and the team are up so snuff in 2023. I mean it has to be a car/development issue when you go from winning almost every other race to only winning only one, right? And that one win had to have the perfect scenario to be realized, right?

Fingers crossed they get it correct on the drawing board and that it translates to the actual machine.
Hopefully, Mercedes have apparently been working hard on 2023 since March this year when it was obvious there was some serious inconsistence with aero performance. I agree, I don't think a team go from winning every other race and essentially beating Red Bull to suddenly fighting for top 5 positions because their drivers are not good enough. Its all about the complete package and if one element is lacking, thats the difference between failure and success.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
It’s amazing what happens when you want/need to prove yourself. Lewis had nothing particularly to prove this year and it showed. At times he wanted to give up. Give him a car worth fighting with…

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Lewis doesn’t have anything to prove no, but Mercedes aren’t paying him 30 odd million to not prove anything, whilst his team mate is.
We shall see how he drives next year.

Last edited:

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Lewis doesn’t have anything to prove no, but. Receded aren’t paying him 30 odd million to not prove anything, whilst his team mate is.
That’s they key. George is definitely fast but doesn’t have much experience. LeClerc is fast too, and his inexperience showed, like Max's did in 2021 by being overly aggressive when he didn’t have to be. You need to live certain experiences and failures, and Max was better for it. I think LeClerc will be better because of it. Russell will make mistakes trying to find the edge. Hamilton has the experience and I foresee the championship will be between Max and Lewis again.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Lewis doesn’t have anything to prove no, but. Receded aren’t paying him 30 odd million to not prove anything, whilst his team mate is.

Mercedes took responsibility for the package they gave their drivers last year and seem happy with Hamilton’s work output. If they are paying him £30m and giving him a car he has to spend a season trying all types of desperate setups to progress it’s development, then that’s Mercedes’ fault, not the driver. They need to deliver their side of the contract and give their drivers a car that is at least good enough for races wins.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Hamilton’s replacement for 2029 confirmed:

ae146eded312ccbfe07a55fc24b122e3.jpg

Reactions: ericwn

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Probably time for the 2023 thread @Apple fanboy. :)

Good call. Thread is up.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
2022 had everything going Max's way. A new engine (HRC - then Honda) and an Adrian Newey designed car. Newey is a a step above, and then add his experience designing ground effect cars. Betting against him in retrospect would've been foolhardy. Mercedes also lost a lot of key personnel to Red Bull powertrains. (That's the business of F1, I'm not implying anything bad about Red Bull hiring the best personnel on offer.) Mercedes had to be on the back foot once gardening breaks started. I'd also say the cost cap prevented both Ferrari and Mercedes from converging on performance. I'll note the Ferrari looked liked the top package at season start, and Red Bull made significant gains during the first quarter of the season. (And, Ferrari made a bunch errors....)

That noted, Max still had to drive the car. He showed great speed throughout the year. He also consistently beat Checo. The unresolved question is what level of barre was/is Checo? He didn't set the world on fire at McLaren all those years ago. He probably would've been out of F1 if it were for the sponsorship wonga he brings to the table during the late middle of his career. It also has to be recongised he's had marginal machinery at best post McLaren until the Red Bull call.

A reasonable question to ask: Would Sainz have achieved the same results if he had been given the call from Toro Rosso over Max back in the day?

I do appreciate a lot of what Max brings to F1. He's obviously talented, unites a country, and has a somewhat impudence I find entertaining. The reason I'm not a Max fan is it's rare to see an overtake of him without contact. Both Schumacher and Senna were more egregious. Both raced when the rules were different, so things like DRS and providing space weren't things back then. One could make the case MS helped formulate the need for the new rules.

Like him or loathe him, Lewis has nothing to prove in a formula car. Russell is universally recognised as talented, and it's unclear of his gamble of a Mercedes contract will lead him to more success than had he jumped ship. The Hamilton/Russell thing is fun to watch. Russell did a surprisingly good job in his first year. Lewis had a rough start and eventually got it together. I think it's less than 60 days until we see "Round 2" of this competition start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.