Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You lost me when you try to put down Hamilton. I guess some people can’t help themselves. Meanwhile. F1 Beyond the Grid released an interview with Toto today. Professionalism is often hard to come by and he has probably the most professional and "grown up“ view on the grid.

Pretty pathetic reading how toxic F1 discussions have gotten in recent years isn’t it? All tit-or-tat and reaction seeking and doesn’t change the fact.

Toto has his pettiness like all team principles but is definitely one of the less extreme, well from what we see I think. You don’t hold a position in such a prestigious company like that for so long if you’re not the best for the job.

A good article analysing the performance of Lewis and George last season. It might be a bit complicated for many who prefer the headlines or social media discussions though but worth a read

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
Russell has outperformed Hamilton this season, simple fact. 275 points to 240. 1 race win to none. Facts don't lie. Perhaps next season Hamilton will outperform Russell. Either way, I hope we'll see some fireworks between the two. Prost V Senna, Vettel V Webber, Hamilton V Rosberg; F1 loves a good inter-team rivalry!

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It's nice for Lewis that they felt sorry for him and gave him a special prize. I doubt most drivers (Max included) could be arsed to attend such an event, as its pretty meaningless to them.
To be fair it was voted for, not given. Who in their right and objective mind can vote for LH to be the best British competition driver of 2022 when he didn't win a single race is beyond me. But they the people have spoken...
F1 is all about money. It always has been. It's a plaything for the über rich. That's why increasing numbers of races are bing held in temples of Mamon such as Monaco, Singapore, Dubai, Saudi, and now Vegas. The days of 3 people and a dog turning out to watch a wet weekend at Donnington are long gone...
I enjoyed the olden days, I still enjoy the smaller competition with trailer and multi-day events, but I equally enjoy being at current modern F1 racing, enjoy a nice beverage in the Paddock Club and the overall spectacle. It is a brilliant day/weekend out. All good, from all angles. It's nice to see it modernise.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Russell has outperformed Hamilton this season, simple fact. 275 points to 240. 1 race win to none. Facts don't lie. Perhaps next season Hamilton will outperform Russell. Either way, I hope we'll see some fireworks between the two. Prost V Senna, Vettel V Webber, Hamilton V Rosberg; F1 loves a good inter-team rivalry!
I respect GR, and as a Max fan/supporter I'm seeing him as the biggest rival for next season. George is hungry and focussed and in my opinion will get a whole lot better next year....The one to watch...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’d rather see Perez v Max implode. But fat chance of that. Basically Perez has to behave all season or get replaced by Daniel Ricardo.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I’d rather see Perez v Max implode. But fat chance of that. Basically Perez has to behave all season or get replaced by Daniel Ricardo.
Checo is good and fast, just not as good and fast as Max. But it could implode easily, all it takes is a few mistakes by Max and his team, several DNFs, etc. They had a fantastic year and run, but no guarantees at all for next season. Especially so if Lewis may become competitive and the crashes may start again. Three dogs fighting over a bone and the fourth one will walk away with it...

As much as I really like Daniel I'm not expecting much of him next year, and not much of a threat to Checo. Checo would be smart to see his contract through 2024, can't see him getting a better team that makes him 2nd 3rd in the world.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Pretty pathetic reading how toxic F1 discussions have gotten in recent years isn’t it? All tit-or-tat and reaction seeking and doesn’t change the fact.

Toto has his pettiness like all team principles but is definitely one of the less extreme, well from what we see I think. You don’t hold a position in such a prestigious company like that for so long if you’re not the best for the job.

A good article analysing the performance of Lewis and George last season. It might be a bit complicated for many who prefer the headlines or social media discussions though but worth a read

Totally agree. And about Toto as well. We’re all human and his reactions are as animated as anyone. I was particularly talking about his interview with Tom Clarkson. Definitely one of the more insightful interviews in recent times.

I'll check out that article.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Lol! I'm not putting him down, so chill out. It's a consolation prize, let's see it for what it really is. He was outperformed by a much younger, much less experienced team-mate, in his first full season with the team. How anyone would put Hamilton above Russell this season, is beyond me. Hamilton finished a distant 6th, 214 (!) points below Verstappen. Wow. 'Overall best British competition driver'. Wow. He wasn't even the best British driver in F1. 🤔
I guess context is everything. If you think Lewis was actually concerned you should maybe listen to the interview with Toto on F1 Beyond the Grid. Or maybe you just know better.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I guess context is everything. If you think Lewis was actually concerned you should maybe listen to the interview with Toto on F1 Beyond the Grid. Or maybe you just know better.
In the context of the 2022 Formula 1 season, what could possibly be the objective criteria for awarding Lewis Hamilton the title of best British driver? He didn't win any races this year.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
In the context of the 2022 Formula 1 season, what could possibly be the objective criteria for awarding Lewis Hamilton the title of best British driver? He didn't win any races this year.

Lewis' five Second Place finishes to George's one would be a solid one, IMO. Lewis also had one more total podium (9 to 8).

Yes, George won both the Sprint and the Main in São Paulo, but the former was helped by Verstappen having pace issues due to damage and in the latter, Lewis had come from 8th to within 1.5 seconds at the finish.

Reactions: steve09090

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Lewis' five Second Place finishes to George's one would be a solid one, IMO. Lewis also had one more total podium (9 to 8).

Yes, George won both the Sprint and the Main in São Paulo, but the former was helped by Verstappen having pace issues due to damage and in the latter, Lewis had come from 8th to within 1.5 seconds at the finish.
Yet George was fourth in the WC and Lewis sixth. Pretty clear cut who was the best by a pretty decent margin as well.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Had a lovely day today with Redbull in Milton Keynes celebrating their success with another WC and a manufacturers as well.

Little street circuit. And Max driving.

B12DAB05-EEDA-4263-B589-356F93CBCD63.jpeg
20DF0174-FE50-44BE-995C-6280BEC18F47.jpeg

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008

And I know it’s not results, but Lewis was also heavily involved in testing during races. Letting George be free to race in his new team. Anyone who thinks George is better than Lewis is in La La Land. Maybe one day, but definitely not yet.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
We only have to look through this thread to see the races this year where we’ve all commented that Russell was lucky with safety cars and older setups. I certainly wrote Hamilton’s season off very early on and at no point was comparing him to George. It was a season where Mercedes had a very unpredictable car that seemed to go forwards and backwards by the race. It’s one of those situations where either driver doing well is a win for me as they are both British. I just view things a little deeper than a final result. It’s about understanding the process and long game. Lewis had a decent season considering the car he had was third, fourth and sometimes fifth best. He certainly didn’t do the dirty at any point on his teammate or cause any controversy. He got on with the job and had a solid season and so did George. It was a season to forget though, and next year is what matters.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yet George was fourth in the WC and Lewis sixth. Pretty clear cut who was the best by a pretty decent margin as well.

George had 20 scored finishes to Lewis' 19 and George finished better than Lewis in 10 races, whereas Lewis finished better than George in 9. Both also had one DNF.

George's 35 extra points is nothing to sneeze at, but he collected the bulk of those (29) at three races:
  • Saudi Arabia (9), where Lewis was screwed by the Safety Car, dropping him 6th to 12th and finishing 10th to George's 5th;
  • São Paulo (10) by winning the Sprint and the Main, though Lewis was 3rd and 2nd, respectively;
  • Abu Dhabi (10), where Lewis' hydraulics failed him, causing him to retire from 5th place, just behind George.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
And I know it’s not results, but Lewis was also heavily involved in testing during races. Letting George be free to race in his new team. Anyone who thinks George is better than Lewis is in La La Land. Maybe one day, but definitely not yet.
The category was 2022 Best British Competition Driver. It was about this year, it was about the competition. Nothing there about testing, development, all time. Jeez, Lewis is really in some people's head, even when clearly by any official measurements he is not. I'm not surprised seeing the reactions towards Max as any kind of objective real judgement seems to be just off the table.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
George had 20 scored finishes to Lewis' 19 and George finished better than Lewis in 10 races, whereas Lewis finished better than George in 9. Both also had one DNF.

George's 35 extra points is nothing to sneeze at, but he collected the bulk of those (29) at three races:
  • Saudi Arabia (9), where Lewis was screwed by the Safety Car, dropping him 6th to 12th and finishing 10th to George's 5th;
  • São Paulo (10) by winning the Sprint and the Main, though Lewis was 3rd and 2nd, respectively;
  • Abu Dhabi (10), where Lewis' hydraulics failed him, causing him to retire from 5th place, just behind George.
Yet look at the 2022 standing, George finished in 4th place and Lewis in 6th. But somehow, very odd to me, people keep making up stories as to why Lewis is the 2022 British Best Driver. The gentleman didn't win a single race, not one 🤷‍♂️

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
We only have to look through this thread to see the races this year where we’ve all commented that Russell was lucky with safety cars and older setups. I certainly wrote Hamilton’s season off very early on and at no point was comparing him to George. It was a season where Mercedes had a very unpredictable car that seemed to go forwards and backwards by the race. It’s one of those situations where either driver doing well is a win for me as they are both British. I just view things a little deeper than a final result. It’s about understanding the process and long game. Lewis had a decent season considering the car he had was third, fourth and sometimes fifth best. He certainly didn’t do the dirty at any point on his teammate or cause any controversy. He got on with the job and had a solid season and so did George. It was a season to forget though, and next year is what matters.
And here we have it yet again, the bias is so clear covered in dusting of that others don't understand it and a dig to clearly Red Bull. It's a thread that comes through with every single post being made. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with anyone being anyone's fan, but pretending they are objectivity and others aren't real fans is just silly.

The bit left out is also how much contact Lewis (and George) were involved in this season as well, and how other drivers on the grid reacted to Lewis/George when they pulled those stunts. Sadly, I expect it to get worse next year if their car is a bit more competitive and even when it's not.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Good analysis. We can probably analyse it to death but both drivers were working for the team this year and whether each finished 5th, 6th, 7th is irrelevant for me as neither were anywhere near to fighting for the title. Lewis isn’t getting any younger and he’s still one of the best on the grid and that tells us more than his teammate scoring an extra 35 points I think. I would say the comparison means more to those trying to exaggerate the achievements of a certain other driver than it actually does for anything else.

Reactions: CWallace

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yet look at the 2022 standing, George finished in 4th place and Lewis in 6th. But somehow, very odd to me, people keep making up stories as to why Lewis is the 2022 British Best Driver. The gentleman didn't win a single race, not one 🤷‍♂️

Winning a race is not the only criteria considered for the British Competition Driver of the Year Award. In fact, it doesn't seem to matter at all considering Lando Norris won it in 2021 and he also did not win a single race that year.

And for the record, Lewis Hamilton won 8 races in 2021, finished 2nd in the WDC to Lando's 6th and scored 227.5 more WDC points. :eek:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Winning a race is not the only criteria considered for the British Competition Driver of the Year Award. In fact, it doesn't seem to matter at all considering Lando Norris won it in 2021 and he also did not win a single race that year.

And for the record, Lewis Hamilton won 8 races in 2021, finished 2nd in the WDC to Lando's 6th and scored 227.5 more WDC points. :eek:
Sure it’s a people vote, people can vote whatever their reason and interpretation. Absolutely. But objectively he is just not the best 2022 competition driver. The facts don’t like. But hey ho I guess he won something this way. 😂

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Sure it’s a people vote, people can vote whatever their reason and interpretation. Absolutely. But objectively he is just not the best 2022 competition driver.

In your opinion.

Clearly, the majority of people who voted felt differently.

The facts don’t lie.

What facts? That George won a race and Lewis didn't? That George finished higher in the WDC with more points?

Then how do you explain Lando Norris winning in 2021 when "the facts" show he won zero races and Lewis won eight, he finished 6th when Lewis finished 2nd in the WDC and Lewis had more than twice as many WDC points as Lando?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
In your opinion.

Clearly, the majority of people who voted felt differently.
Agreed, as I highlighted with my first post about this.
What facts? That George won a race and Lewis didn't? That George finished higher in the WDC with more points?

Then how do you explain Lando Norris winning in 2021 when "the facts" show he won zero races and Lewis won eight, he finished 6th when Lewis finished 2nd in the WDC and Lewis had more than twice as many WDC points as Lando?
Indeed doesn’t make any sense. He objectively wasn’t the best British competition driver.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Agreed, as I highlighted with my first post about this.

Indeed doesn’t make any sense. He objectively wasn’t the best British competition driver.
No. You don’t like Lewis (clearly) and you have no clue how the voting works (and you admitted this) and Lewis won. Get over it. There are plenty of ways Lewis was better than George. Even George admits how much he does for the team. You think it’s done via points and that’s clearly wrong.

Why does this even matter so much to you? Why are you hating on Lewis so much? People judge other people they don’t even know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple fanboy

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
No. You don’t like Lewis (clearly) and you have no clue how the voting works (and you admitted this) and Lewis won. Get over it. There are plenty of ways Lewis was better than George. Even George admits how much he does for the team. You think it’s done via points and that’s clearly wrong.

Why does this even matter so much to you? Why are you hating on Lewis so much? People judge other people they don’t even know.
??? Not being a fan of Lewis doesn't mean I hate him. What did I state in this exchange that indicates to you that I hate Lewis?

I definitely don't like the typical Lewis fan, you know the type that when you question something they immediately make out like you hate Lewis. The type where you can't have an objective, rational conversation. The type where if you aren't in favour of Lewis, you are against him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.