Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
??? Not being a fan of Lewis doesn't mean I hate him. What did I state in this exchange that indicates to you that I hate Lewis?

I definitely don't like the typical Lewis fan, you know the type that when you question something they immediately make out like you hate Lewis. The type where you can't have an objective, rational conversation. The type where if you aren't in favour of Lewis, you are against him.
Hmmmm rational.

Things like "facts don’t lie” when you are only considering final points. You haven’t been rational.

"Objectively he is not the best driver". Yet you’ve not added anything to support that. That would be a rational conversation.

Others have stated what he has done for Mercedes through the year. They have accounted for the number of finishes he has had in the points. They have discussed him providing team assistance in developing the car and had apologies over team radio for that exact role in the race. George of course can’t assist much in that area as he has no experience with the car and developing like Lewis but no-one blames George for that, and he has been let loose to drive. Other things like mechanical issues with the car, unlucky with safety cars. George has had none of that.

I can’t see a single rational debate coming from those who are anti Lewis. Maybe you could start because you certainly haven’t done it yet. You clearly don’t like him, and you extreme bias is showing. Maybe it’s not hate, but it’s certainly not objective.

I'll wait patiently for examples that show George is a better driver than Lewis this year. I am an optimist after all.

Even the comment about Lando "objectively" not being the best driver in 2021. How is that objective when you have no idea what the criteria is? Your comments are purely subjective and without basis. Clearly.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Hmmmm rational.

Things like "facts don’t lie” when you are only considering final points. You haven’t been rational.
Well, the fact is that the results are recorded and for all to see regarding the competition of 2022. Or are you suggesting the FIA recorded them incorrectly?
"Objectively he is not the best driver". Yet you’ve not added anything to support that. That would be a rational conversation.
I have done so several times, linked it back to the results. Whilst you may not agree with me that the results matter, it is incorrect of you to submit that I've not added anything to support that.
Others have stated what he has done for Mercedes through the year. They have accounted for the number of finishes he has had in the points. They have discussed him providing team assistance in developing the car and had apologies over team radio for that exact role in the race. George of course can’t assist much in that area as he has no experience with the car and developing like Lewis but no-one blames George for that, and he has been let loose to drive. Other things like mechanical issues with the car, unlucky with safety cars. George has had none of that.
I don't disagree with that at all, never even argued against it. Doesn't change the fact that from a competition perspective in 2022 Lewis did not win once, and wasn't the best overall British driver in the competition based upon the recorded results.
I can’t see a single rational debate coming from those who are anti Lewis. Maybe you could start because you certainly haven’t done it yet.
More lies, why make it so ingrained and get so emotional about it. No need to falsify accounts of others. As per above and earlier in the thread, I've stuck to the measurable facts only.
You clearly don’t like him, and you extreme bias is showing. Maybe it’s not hate, but it’s certainly not objective.
Wow, so you couldn't make hate stick and not find any argument, so now you move to extreme bias and anti-Lewis. You are clearly demonstrating the point I just raised.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Well, the fact is that the results are recorded and for all to see regarding the competition of 2022. Or are you suggesting the FIA recorded them incorrectly?

I have done so several times, linked it back to the results. Whilst you may not agree with me that the results matter, it is incorrect of you to submit that I've not added anything to support that.

I don't disagree with that at all, never even argued against it. Doesn't change the fact that from a competition perspective in 2022 Lewis did not win once, and wasn't the best overall British driver in the competition based upon the recorded results.

More lies, why make it so ingrained and get so emotional about it. No need to falsify accounts of others. As per above and earlier in the thread, I've stuck to the measurable facts only.

Wow, so you couldn't make hate stick and not find any argument, so now you move to extreme bias and anti-Lewis. You are clearly demonstrating the point I just raised.
🥱

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
Because that’s soooo rational….

I'm sorry, but a number of people on here need to look at their own posts, and try at least to employ a little objectivity. Accusing others of not being 'rational' for simply posting facts, is in itself irrational.

The aim of any sport is to win. In F1, the aim is to win races and get as many points as possible. In this respect, it's just simply factual to state that Russell outperformed Hamilton this season. The statistics will not have any asterisks next to results, saying 'oh but Lewis was the better driver because blah blah blah', because that's just subjective opinion. History doesn't really concern itself with such. Facts are all that matter, all that endure.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
It’s great to see Checo and Daniel having such a great relationship.

I see Daniel potentially waiting for an opportunity at Red Bull, but not necessarily with Red Bull. Maybe it will be with them, maybe with Mercedes. Toto was supper interested in him and they had talked (according to Toto & Daniel). It will be an interesting 2023 For DR3 as he makes his way back on to the grid.

A hungry Ricciardo is an epic thing to see.

Im also keen to see if he’ll do his New York to L.A. Trip on a 125cc m/c Like he wants to 😂

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s great to see Checo and Daniel having such a great relationship.

I see Daniel potentially waiting for an opportunity at Red Bull, but not necessarily with Red Bull. Maybe it will be with them, maybe with Mercedes. Toto was supper interested in him and they had talked (according to Toto & Daniel). It will be an interesting 2023 For DR3 as he makes his way back on to the grid.

A hungry Ricciardo is an epic thing to see.

Im also keen to see if he’ll do his New York to L.A. Trip on a 125cc m/c Like he wants to

They are a couple of decent guys though I suppose. Checo probably knows he needs to maintain his form and unfortunately play second fiddle otherwise he’s replaced. It’s a toss up between being a number 2 and picking up race wins or go to another team where a podium is a distant dream I think. Checo has said ‘I’m not worried about Ricciardo, it changes nothing for me’ and that line on its own sounds like he is especially worried. We’ve heard that sort of thing too many times before the opposite happens.

For me the future for Mercedes is George at this moment and maybe there are better options than Daniel. He needs to prove his form has returned I would say and unfortunately he’s not going to be able to do that as a simulation and PR driver at Red Bull. Unless of course he replaces Checo next season and demonstrates he can beat Max again.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

I'll be honest - I don't expect to see DR having a full F1 drive ever again. Taking 2023 off is going to pretty much make him disappear in the eyes of the team principals. And I especially do not see Red Bull taking him back - nor him wanting to go back - as long as Marko is still wielding his influence.

My hope is that DR gets a Hypercar or LMP2 ride with a good WEC team by 2024.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'll be honest - I don't expect to see DR having a full F1 drive ever again. Taking 2023 off is going to pretty much make him disappear in the eyes of the team principals. And I especially do not see Red Bull taking him back - nor him wanting to go back - as long as Marko is still wielding his influence.

Sadly I agree. His teammate at McLaren out performed him spectacularly. He looks like yesterday’s man for any team principal. His best hope is a bout of Covid in the RB garage.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
They are a couple of decent guys though I suppose. Checo probably knows he needs to maintain his form and unfortunately play second fiddle otherwise he’s replaced. It’s a toss up between being a number 2 and picking up race wins or go to another team where a podium is a distant dream I think. Checo has said ‘I’m not worried about Ricciardo, it changes nothing for me’ and that line on its own sounds like he is especially worried. We’ve heard that sort of thing too many times before the opposite happens.

For me the future for Mercedes is George at this moment and maybe there are better options than Daniel. He needs to prove his form has returned I would say and unfortunately he’s not going to be able to do that as a simulation and PR driver at Red Bull. Unless of course he replaces Checo next season and demonstrates he can beat Max again.
I Agree. I can’t see him at Mercedes, but we shall see. If Lewis wins (if), retirement could definitely be on the cards. It’s more likely Checo jumps. When Daniel left, he was kind of where Checo is now and where Bottas was. Playing 2nd driver is no fun for a person who is a fast driver. When you're a proven race winner, you want to be let loose to continue.

I get that a team needs to favour a driver, but ultimately that doesn’t work for the other driver who has ambition. If Daniel did return to the grid with Max, Daniel knows Max has been allowed to drive with the silver dummy in his mouth.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I Agree. I can’t see him at Mercedes, but we shall see. If Lewis wins (if), retirement could definitely be on the cards. It’s more likely Checo jumps. When Daniel left, he was kind of where Checo is now and where Bottas was. Playing 2nd driver is no fun for a person who is a fast driver. When you're a proven race winner, you want to be let loose to continue.

I get that a team needs to favour a driver, but ultimately that doesn’t work for the other driver who has ambition. If Daniel did return to the grid with Max, Daniel knows Max has been allowed to drive with the silver dummy in his mouth.

Daniel needed to shine at McLaren really as it’s a team that has always had a strong culture for allowing drivers to race equally. That’s something that but then hard on a few occasions but they’ve always stuck by it. Mercedes have a similar philosophy but when you’ve got a driver as good as Lewis, it’s rare to see this displayed. I think Ricciardo will stick around for one more year and head off to another series. People think F1 is the pinnacle but there’s better racing often elsewhere. He’s shown some skill in rallying so it would be cool to see him in WRC. I think it’s more likely formula E or endurance though in the longer term.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
No; Ricciardo was 'testing the car', and stuff like that. His team-mate scoring more points means nothing...
Bingo, The different yard sticks on display is just astonishing.

Anyway, can't wait for the 2023 season. It will be fun again, seeing the circus both on TV and a few races in person.

• Haha
Reactions: steve09090

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
No; Ricciardo was 'testing the car', and stuff like that. His team-mate scoring more points means nothing...
What a strange and bizzare thing to say.

And McLaren were testing Andreas Seidl! 😂

Seidl sacked. https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team...7vm8nrvNkJSHRgkq91qEajG-slOJhdiszgk0dg9WF9xo4

McLaren going from 5th and just keep on dropping. They have no clue it seems. Can’t get a decent car on the track and Haas will smoke them. If Aston Martin get their groove, McLaren could end up 7th or even 8th!

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
What a strange and bizzare thing to say.
Erm...

"Others have stated what he has done for Mercedes through the year. They have accounted for the number of finishes he has had in the points. They have discussed him providing team assistance in developing the car and had apologies over team radio for that exact role in the race. George of course can’t assist much in that area as he has no experience with the car and developing like Lewis but no-one blames George for that, and he has been let loose to drive."

🤣

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
It wouldn’t be out if realms of possibility to go.
Mercedes or Red Bull
Ferrari & Alpine
Haas & Aston Martin
Alfa Romeo (with a more reliable power unit)
McLaren
Alpha Tauri, Williams. who cares.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Erm...

"Others have stated what he has done for Mercedes through the year. They have accounted for the number of finishes he has had in the points. They have discussed him providing team assistance in developing the car and had apologies over team radio for that exact role in the race. George of course can’t assist much in that area as he has no experience with the car and developing like Lewis but no-one blames George for that, and he has been let loose to drive."

🤣
What’s the problem? Are you doubting it?

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Sweet Jesus of Nazareth...

Do you really not get it?
You’re too cryptic for me man. I’m just sitting here wondering what you’re actually contributing. Because your comments don’t seem to have any sensible content. I can’t be bothered responding to you anymore.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Sweet Jesus of Nazareth...

Do you really not get it?
Oh, he gets it, just silly games being played that when called out it is all 'your' fault anyway. It is bizarre and would be so much better if all there wasn't this partisan behaviour towards one driver as all objectivity just goes out of the window.

I'm surprised the good old you are not a real F1 fan, or you are just a DTS fan, isn't being wheeled out yet. Especially by those who don't even go to the races nor watch them live and in full.

Lets hope the 2023 thread won't be so onesided...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Back on topic .

A day of changes:

e96894bc9ac6f279536fc020a75e9591.jpg

2e5ee9b14f69eed780a374a24aeea777.jpg

f63c99666333d4f755724b6f3cc28b94.jpg

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
That Andrea bloke looks far more serious so McLaren will do much better than Ferrari and Alfa Romeo, because those other two are clearly just mucking about and having a laugh.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Would absolutely LOVE to see Daniel in LMP2. Both in the FIA and IMSA events. I'm very IMSA biased. But that's no secret.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Daniel needed to shine at McLaren really as it’s a team that has always had a strong culture for allowing drivers to race equally. That’s something that but then hard on a few occasions but they’ve always stuck by it. Mercedes have a similar philosophy but when you’ve got a driver as good as Lewis, it’s rare to see this displayed. I think Ricciardo will stick around for one more year and head off to another series. People think F1 is the pinnacle but there’s better racing often elsewhere. He’s shown some skill in rallying so it would be cool to see him in WRC. I think it’s more likely formula E or endurance though in the longer term.

Daniel in WRC while interesting, IMO could never happen. He's not the WRC type IMO. Personally I believe WRC Championship Drivers have the quickest reflexes in Motorsports. I do hope LMP2 works for him. I think Formula E would be something DR would not be interested in. I personally find Formula E like watching the E Go Carts in the Shopping Mall Tracks. Just turned up a few notches.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Daniel in WRC while interesting, IMO could never happen. He's not the WRC type IMO. Personally I believe WRC Championship Drivers have the quickest reflexes in Motorsports. I do hope LMP2 works for him. I think Formula E would be something DR would not be interested in. I personally find Formula E like watching the E Go Carts in the Shopping Mall Tracks. Just turned up a few notches.
🤣😂 Yes, I don't quite get what it is I dislike, I just can't get into it. So, that works for me 🤣

Reactions: Glideslope

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I’ve seen him doing a fair bit of off-roading in the off-season but indeed WRC is a different animal. Joining Mercedes in Formula-E perhaps? It’s not really my thing either to be honest and I’ve given it a good go. It just doesn’t promote the power I like to see in racing.

Reactions: Glideslope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.