Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
2024 F1 Calendar leaked.
5c33f6143c948420a282e169f2a6688f.jpg
I think I’ll pass!

Reactions: steve09090

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
The CEO of Ferrari is on record that he believes not winning is failure, hence Binotto being shown the door (willingly or unwillingly).
Naturally, couldn't agree more. This is not elementary school where participation is the reward in itself, especially for a supposed top team.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Looking forward to watching the Seattle race from The Paddock Club at the top of the Space Needle. And I have watched CART/Indy races at Portland and it is a really good track in terms of views for fans so that one will be on my list, as well.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Daniel Ricciardo has an interview on podcast Beyond the Grid today. Can’t wait. Let’s hear from DR3 himself.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
As expected, Mattia Binotto has resigned as Team Principal for Scuderia Ferrari.

John Elkann is the issue, not Binotto. Ferrari has gone from strength to strength with him. And now the musical chairs begin.

On the plus side, this is good for Alpine, McLaren, Aston Martin, and Haas for coming couple of years. The design team from Haas in Maranello, Italy could get a big boost because of this.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
As expected, Mattia Binotto has resigned as Team Principal for Scuderia Ferrari.

Think he was pushed, unsurprisingly after their season.

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
Somewhat arrogant of Esteban Ocon to claim he did '98%' of the development work at Alpine, when Alonso is one of the best car developers F1 has ever seen. Ocon may have scored more points this season, and had more higher qualifiying positions, but Alonso did suffer several car failures so would have finished a good bit higher. Ocon is clearly an excellent driver, one of the best 'youngsters' currently in F1, and Alonso's star is definitely fading, but to make such a statement is quite disrespectful imo. He's not 'better' than Alonso, that's for sure. And I very much doubt he had more input into car development than Alonso. And he's a very long way off having achieved as much for motorsport in general. Next year will be interesting to see him v Gasly; a few fireworks perhaps?

Reactions: pachyderm

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Somewhat arrogant of Esteban Ocon to claim he did '98%' of the development work at Alpine, when Alonso is one of the best car developers F1 has ever seen. Ocon may have scored more points this season, and had more higher qualifiying positions, but Alonso did suffer several car failures so would have finished a good bit higher. Ocon is clearly an excellent driver, one of the best 'youngsters' currently in F1, and Alonso's star is definitely fading, but to make such a statement is quite disrespectful imo. He's not 'better' than Alonso, that's for sure. And I very much doubt he had more input into car development than Alonso. And he's a very long way off having achieved as much for motorsport in general. Next year will be interesting to see him v Gasly; a few fireworks perhaps?
As decent as Ocon may be, I find him such a forgettable personality. I keep forgetting that he is in F1 🤣 Whether supporters like you or not doesn't matter as much as whether they remember you.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well there has certainly been little love lost between Alonso and Ocon in 2022 and their scrapping with each other likely cost WDC and WCC points. Ocon also is probably trying to position himself better vis-a-vis the incoming Pierre Gasly.

Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
In technical news, the FIA is going to re-consider how long DRS zones are at some tracks as the worry now is that they have made it too easy for the trailing car to pass the one ahead of it on the longer stretches.

The FIA has also tweaked the 2023 aero regulations to preclude other teams from implementing front wing slot gap separators like those Mercedes showed off (but did not run) at the US Grand Prix. The FIA did subsequently rule they were not allowed and Mercedes removed them for the Mexican Grand Prix and beyond.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Lewis and George recognised for their years at the Autosport awards . George got moment of the year and Lewis overall best British competition driver. Looks like a lot of the drivers picking awards up didn’t attend though.

In technical news, the FIA is going to re-consider how long DRS zones are at some tracks as the worry now is that they have made it too easy for the trailing car to pass the one ahead of it on the longer stretches.

The FIA has also tweaked the 2023 aero regulations to preclude other teams from implementing front wing slot gap separators like those Mercedes showed off (but did not run) at the US Grand Prix. The FIA did subsequently rule they were not allowed and Mercedes removed them for the Mexican Grand Prix and beyond.

I think we all thought the change in regs last season would mix the field up a bit but it did the opposite and we saw one team dominating even more than we’ve seen in years. I think DRS needs to fall on a spike to be fair. I don’t have the answers to improve the racing but fake advantages to ‘spice up the show’ is definitely not what Formula 1 has ever been about. Sprint races can impale themselves on the same spike as far as I am concerned. It’s all designed to entertain the channel hoppers who can’t understand proper racing strategy and to create a faux level of excitement.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Lewis and George recognised for their years at the Autosport awards . George got moment of the year and Lewis overall best British competition driver. Looks like a lot of the drivers picking awards up didn’t attend though.

I think we all thought the change in regs last season would mix the field up a bit but it did the opposite and we saw one team dominating even more than we’ve seen in years. I think DRS needs to fall on a spike to be fair. I don’t have the answers to improve the racing but fake advantages to ‘spice up the show’ is definitely not what Formula 1 has ever been about. Sprint races can impale themselves on the same spike as far as I am concerned. It’s all designed to entertain the channel hoppers who can’t understand proper racing strategy and to create a faux level of excitement.
Couldn’t agree more on DRS and sprint races. Confine them to history.
If a track can’t facilitate overtaking, then take it off the calendar.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I think DRS needs to fall on a spike to be fair. I don’t have the answers to improve the racing but fake advantages to ‘spice up the show’ is definitely not what Formula 1 has ever been about.
Couldn’t agree more on DRS and sprint races. Confine them to history.
If a track can’t facilitate overtaking, then take it off the calendar.
I would agree but I have a different take on it. Firstly, clearly DRS is a manufactured method of creating a boost to speed. And I DO have problems with that. However, a car to be within the DRS Zone has to be at least as fast as the car it is following. Too many times a car is able to block the car behind. Sometimes because of good racing ability (Alonso/DR3/Pérez) and the other is when they are on a track which makes it impossible to overtake without DRS. This is not good racing. Could you imagine Alonso at the front in Monaco? It’d just be a procession.

They have shown this year that when the cars are similar in speed. (Before Red Bull leapt ahead in speed), wheel to wheel racing was awesome and it worked for all cars. Watching LeClerc and Verstappen swap positions several times was fantastic racing, and the drivers loved it too.

Now you add on the idea that they are considering killing off the MGU-H, this will slow the cars down, reduce acceleration and hamper the performance coming out of corners. Could imagine a turbo power surge out of a hair pin? I’d love to hear the on-board of Yuki 😂.

I can’t see them taking places like Singapore and Monaco off the calendar. They just added Vegas. Bring back Adelaide I say. Murray Walkers favourite track ever.

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
Lewis and George recognised for their years at the Autosport awards
emoji1305.png
. George got moment of the year and Lewis overall best British competition driver. Looks like a lot of the drivers picking awards up didn’t attend though.
It's nice for Lewis that they felt sorry for him and gave him a special prize. I doubt most drivers (Max included) could be arsed to attend such an event, as its pretty meaningless to them.
I can’t see them taking places like Singapore and Monaco off the calendar. They just added Vegas.
F1 is all about money. It always has been. It's a plaything for the über rich. That's why increasing numbers of races are bing held in temples of Mamon such as Monaco, Singapore, Dubai, Saudi, and now Vegas. The days of 3 people and a dog turning out to watch a wet weekend at Donnington are long gone...

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
It's nice for Lewis that they felt sorry for him and gave him a special prize. I doubt most drivers (Max included) could be arsed to attend such an event, as its pretty meaningless to them.

F1 is all about money. It always has been. It's a plaything for the über rich. That's why increasing numbers of races are bing held in temples of Mamon such as Monaco, Singapore, Dubai, Saudi, and now Vegas. The days of 3 people and a dog turning out to watch a wet weekend at Donnington are long gone...
You lost me when you try to put down Hamilton. I guess some people can’t help themselves. Meanwhile. F1 Beyond the Grid released an interview with Toto today. Professionalism is often hard to come by and he has probably the most professional and "grown up“ view on the grid.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
You lost me when you try to put down Hamilton. I guess some people can’t help themselves
Lol! I'm not putting him down, so chill out. It's a consolation prize, let's see it for what it really is. He was outperformed by a much younger, much less experienced team-mate, in his first full season with the team. How anyone would put Hamilton above Russell this season, is beyond me. Hamilton finished a distant 6th, 214 (!) points below Verstappen. Wow. 'Overall best British competition driver'. Wow. He wasn't even the best British driver in F1. 🤔

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.