Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
Hamilton wasn’t penalised in Abu Dhabi 2021 because I’d two factors. Firstly Verstappen pushed him across that said chicane and secondly Lewis adjusted his speed to reduce the advantage he had gained to which the FIA confirmed was satisfactory. He didn’t have to concede position because he had lost position due to being forced off the circuit. This year he conceded his position due to not giving back any of the advantage he had gained, even though he’d been forced off the track. Those are the facts without rose tinted glasses so may differ from the usual bias.
Lol! I love the revisionism of Hamilton fans; bad descisions that go Hamilton's way; fine. Bad descisions that go against Hamilton: OMG IT'S SO UNFAIR THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!!!!111 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anyway. Max won so that's that.
I think you have to forgive Max a few things for his youth and success, very few people who get success at a young age also have gentlemanly tendencies. They tend to mellow with age though.
Yes. Most WC drivers have been 'petulant' in their early days. Senna, Schuey, Alonso, Vettel and most definitely Hamilton.
It seems to be a personality trait that goes with winning; when you're young, you are more insecure, so you compensate by being a bit brash and macho or whatever. As you age, and gain wisdom and maturity, you tend not to be quite so insecure, so you can let things go a bit more. Sure, you can still be an obnoxious arse; Hamilton certainly proves that, but winners generally don't get to be so by being nice to everyone. You have to have self belief and determination, and a willingness to succeed at all costs. That's what competitive sport is all about.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Nice to see an American present on the grid next season. With 3 Grand Prix, it would be strange not to have a presence.

7f2981d666ea148a8bf1636eecff88e7.jpg

Last edited:

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
Well; try and gain a little self-awareness. Have a think about how your words come across to others who might not share your views. Others who are entitled to their own opinions and views. You talk about bias; well have a think about your own.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think you have to forgive Max a few things for his youth and success, very few people who get success at a young age also have gentlemanly tendencies. They tend to mellow with age though.

I think to be an F1 driver you have to be selfish to an extent and very sure of yourself. When you look at the recent champions over the past 20 years Max is perhaps visibly more aggressive on track and over the radio than any that I can’t think of. He’s definitely a personality that’s either loved of hated in equal measure due to his bullish style. He’s young but also been in the sport 3 years longer than say Lewis Hamilton had been at his age. He knows how the sport works by now. I was very vocal in my support for his development when he was in his first few seasons but I’ve grown less fond of him in recent years. For me he’s become more obnoxious the more successful he’s become and if that’s the way it is, that’s the way it is.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Worst kept secret but it’s official Daniel Ricardo is back at the best F1 racing team. Welcome back to the family Daniel.

Mixed feelings here. Love DR3 to bits but Red Bull have done themselves no favours with fans with the politics they bring to the sport. But still, great to keep Daniel in the paddock and hopefully hell get a drive in 2024. It’ll be a pressure year for Checo.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Looks like 2022 RBR reserve driver Liam Lawson is being sent to Japan Super Formula so sounds like Danny will be the official Reserve Driver for 2023.

Simulator driver only and sitting in for the potential sacking of Checo early 2023. I can’t imagine things are as rosey as Red Bull would like to portray in recent weeks, especially after Mrs Kumpen posted pics of Checo intimately dancing with a lady who wasn’t his wife. Danny Ric will be in the wings to support the number one and hoping it’s sooner rather than later .

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Simulator driver only and sitting in for the potential sacking of Checo early 2023. I can’t imagine things are as rosey as Red Bull would like to portray in recent weeks, especially after Mrs Kumpen posted pics of Checo intimately dancing with a lady who wasn’t his wife. Danny Ric will be in the wings to support the number one and hoping it’s sooner rather than later .
Psst Max, Max did you hear what Checo said about you?
Hey Checo, Max was saying you couldn’t beat him if he was in a road car!

Yup I’d be stirring it up big time if I was Daniel!

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

Psst Max, Max did you hear what Checo said about you?
Hey Checo, Max was saying you couldn’t beat him if he was in a road car!

Yup I’d be stirring it up big time if I was Daniel!
You guys are hilarious and just as bad as those DTS fans you always talk so negative about, bringing that kind of one sided social media rubbish into this thread...The anti max sentiment seems to run strong with you both...

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
You guys are hilarious and just as bad as those DTS fans you always talk so negative about, bringing that kind of one sided social media rubbish into this thread...The anti max sentiment seems to run strong with you both...
F1 is a pretty boring sport most of the time, so the press needs to generate interest somehow, hence the portrayal of certain drivers by the media as 'villains'. Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel and now Max. I'm talking aobut the UK/English speaking media essentially; I'm sure Dutch media doesn't portray Verstappen in quite the same way the UK media does. This influences followers and fans of F1 a lot. People need something to believe in. It's nice that Lewis has got such a loyaql following, but I think people lose sight of their own bias when it comes to their own objectivity. For example, the way the McLaren 'Spygate' debacle was reported in the UK media at first, had Alonso down as the villain, when in fact it was Ron Dennis who was at the heart of the cheating. Had it been the other way round, can you imagine the vitriol that would have been fired at Ferarri? The UK media was pretty quiet about the worst cheating scandal F1 has ever seen.

I've always been pretty objective about F1; I'vehad my 'favourites', Alonso is certainly one. I realylikedHamilton at the begining, andreallywanted him to be a future F1chamop, but his behaviour in his first season at McLaren, particularly his antics in Hungary, put me right off him. I don't hate the guy, I don't know him. His public persona I find very cringey tbh. But that's got nothing to do with his immense ability to drive cars very fast. I just don't think the sun shines out of his arse like many of his acolytes seem to.

Max is no better or worse imo. Again, I don't know the bloke. I don't see certain aspects of his behaviour being any worse than Hamilton's, historically. None of us actually know what happened to influence his decision making in Brazil, so everyone should reserve judgment on that. But, y'know; F1 needs a good villain. And it is getting towards pantomime season...

Boidem

Suspended
Nov 16, 2022
I'd really like to see a much closer season, with more excitement and not such a predictable outcome. Once Max was like 40-50 points or so in front, it was a foregone conclusion really. Got a bit boring.

I think Hamilton could struggle next season, if Russell proves to be just as fast if not faster. If he finishes below Russell again, then I think it'll be toys out of the pram, another well publicised social media hiatus, and a flouncing.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
And the regs etc etc will be the same for 2023?

Is RBR going to run away it again...?
I think we saw Mercedes take some big leaps in the latter part of the season so I'd like to think they have worked out most of their gremlins. Toto seems confident but thats likely a feel good message in the hope they work things out over the winter. I'd like to see Lando win a race or ten next year, unlikely I know if 2022 is anything to go by lol. I don't think Red Bull will be slipping back from the front anytime soon and Max is consistent enough to convert as many wins as the team enables him to do with the right package. It would certainly be nice to have a title race back in 2023 and have the likes of Verstappen, Hamilton, Russell, LeClerc and Sainz in the mix for the entire season rather than the first third. Fingers crossed we see progress come March.

Reactions: Apple fanboy

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
And the regs etc etc will be the same for 2023?

Is RBR going to run away it again...?
I suspect it will be a bit tougher for Red Bull. Mercedes seems to have finally found some pace which looks promising for some excitement. And Ferrari got their strategy right in the final race...If McLaren finds a bit more then Lando could bring some surprises which will be fun, though no WC contender yet.

I don't think it's a guaranteed runaway success for Red Bull at all. There is a lot of work to be done, and its tough to put in another awesome team performance to the level they've demonstrated this year.

Roll on spring :)

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'd really like to see a much closer season, with more excitement and not such a predictable outcome. Once Max was like 40-50 points or so in front, it was a foregone conclusion really. Got a bit boring.

I think Hamilton could struggle next season, if Russell proves to be just as fast if not faster. If he finishes below Russell again, then I think it'll be toys out of the pram, another well publicised social media hiatus, and a flouncing.
I think Hamilton will be a lot stronger next year. As Toto said, they took a lot of gambles with Hamilton’s set ups etc.
But when you don’t have the car, you have to throw the dice. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.
But if they start equal with RB then 2023 could be a fantastic season.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I suspect it will be a bit tougher for Red Bull. Mercedes seems to have finally found some pace which looks promising for some excitement. And Ferrari got their strategy right in the final race...If McLaren finds a bit more then Lando could bring some surprises which will be fun, though no WC contender yet.

I don't think it's a guaranteed runaway success for Red Bull at all. There is a lot of work to be done, and its tough to put in another awesome team performance to the level they've demonstrated this year.

Roll on spring :)
Mercedes know why they couldn't get the pace they thought was there. But those changes couldn’t come in 2022. Mike Elliott (Mercedes Technical Director) said they are hoping for a 0.5-1 sec per lap difference immediately.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
AMG do seem to have ironed out the aero issues by Season's End, so that bodes well for a stronger start in 2023.

Still think RBR is going to have an edge - the Honda engine is now powerful and reliable with RBR's input and Newey still designs the best cars.

The wild-card will likely be Ferrari. They did seem to be more reliable as the season progressed and if they get their race strategy squared away so they can take advantage of their qualifying, they could rack up a nice set of wins.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
AMG do seem to have ironed out the aero issues by Season's End, so that bodes well for a stronger start in 2023.

Still think RBR is going to have an edge - the Honda engine is now powerful and reliable with RBR's input and Newey still designs the best cars.

The wild-card will likely be Ferrari. They did seem to be more reliable as the season progressed and if they get their race strategy squared away so they can take advantage of their qualifying, they could rack up a nice set of wins.

Yeah I think in all my years of watching F1, a team that is nearly at the pace of a leading team is usually 3 steps behind once the next update comes out. The winter will be key for every team but if Red Bull were fastest in Abu Dhabi, you can bet they have development in progress to make up another couple of tenths come winter testing.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
News about to break that Binotto has been sacked by Ferrari? Seems to be reports everywhere this afternoon.
Yup been seeing the same since this morning. Something about a big fall out with Ferrari's chairman. I wouldn't be surprised as Binotto just hasn't performed to the standard required, expected, nor matching the capabilities of the vehicle. If I was there chairman I wouldn't have left this long to be honest.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Ferrari have been underperforming in at least one department for the last 14 years. They’ve had some decent cars in this time but a strategic department or a pit crew that have cost them massively at vital moments. I think the drive to give key positions to Italians rather than the best people at their disposal has cost them in recent years.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Who will replace him? Ross Brawn maybe? That would be fun.

Alfa F1 Team Principal Frederic Vasseur is the only possibility I have seen publicly put forward, though others are evidently being considered. McLaren F1 Team Principal Andreas Seidl is said to have been approached, but declined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.