Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Shame the RB looked so good. Max will drive off and Perez will be the wingman. Still makes me a little bit sick being here again after last year’s debacle.

As for what different superstars do with their money, we have no idea who is donating more. Many years ago my wife worked in a children’s ward in London. Sometimes there would be a celebrity turn up (pre arranged) with a camera man etc.
Other times they would turn up unannounced on their own with a bunch of toys and merchandise. Made the day of some of those kids.
I know which I have the most respect for. You can’t always judge by what you see.

Looking at how consistent both the Red Bill’s were I think this will be the usual Abu Dhabi procession. It’s not a season i’ll be sad to see over as it’s been a year of huge regulation changes and only one team really got it right. Hoping Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes come back next year with competitive cars but won’t hold my breath.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Looking at how consistent both the Red Bill’s were I think this will be the usual Abu Dhabi procession. It’s not a season i’ll be sad to see over as it’s been a year of huge regulation changes and only one team really got it right. Hoping Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes come back next year with competitive cars but won’t hold my breath.

Do you think Ferrari got the regs wrong?
Wasn’t the impression I had got, just bad reliability and comical strategies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thing about Abu Dhabi is, it’s not like there will be any rain to spice things up. Only reliability will stop Max. I would love to see Perez take him out on turn one though!

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Thing about Abu Dhabi is, it’s not like there will be any rain to spice things up. Only reliability will stop Max. I would love to see Perez take him out on turn one though!
Even better would be Perez getting past and turn one then Max doing one of his stupid cannonballs and taking them both out in turn 2

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Even better would be Perez getting past and turn one then Max doing one of his stupid cannonballs and taking them both out in turn 2
Followed by George winning the race and getting the #2 spot in the drivers championship 😃. Ferrari will ensure something completely predictable will end his race of course.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Nice to see and must be hard to end a relationship when they both clearly expected and wanted it to work. I just hope Daniel finds the root of his poor performances over the past 4 seasons. He’s had plenty of time and more than most to sort it out. He’s a great personality for the sport but is that enough?

Reactions: steve09090

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I’d love to see Perez overtake Max cleanly, only for Max to lose his head like he often does and damage his own car ‘only’ in a banzai dive down the inside. Give the Red Bull PR machine yet something else to try and put into damage limitation. A Lewis or George win would be a good end to the season for me but this track doesn’t seem to suit their setup as well as Interlagos.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Nice to see and must be hard to end a relationship when they both clearly expected and wanted it to work. I just hope Daniel finds the root of his poor performances over the past 4 seasons. He’s had plenty of time and more than most to sort it out. He’s a great personality for the sport but is that enough?
I think the root of the problem is that he finds it tough to drive a car with so much under steer. The Red Bull seems to have quite a bit, and too much for MV at times. Most of the (small) mistakes from Max are from oversteer. The McLaren is ridiculous and so twitchy. A very fine line between braking too hard and no power out of the corner. Daniel is a more flowing driver, and not as technical as Lando. His 2nd year was pretty good at Renault I thought, given the limitations of the car. He did a bit of an Alonso, where he outperformed the car on many occasions. My thoughts anyway.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Well interesting race. Hamilton doing exactly the same as last year. At least this time the stewards were awake early. Russel also a bit naughty in the pit lane.

Max doing his usual clean relaxed racing. And Perez and Le Clerc battling for 2/3 place. We mustn’t forget that Perez looks slow compared to max, it he is still 2/3 in the world and way faster than those Mercedes race drivers and also nice and clean racing like max and Ferrari.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Honestly, I'm more tempted to make fun of Bottas and the mustache...

Also... why won't this season ever end...?

So that’s who it is! I was literally like has Mansell come back as a younger self? Is that his son? Who is the moustache bloke? 😂🤣😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Outstanding farewell comments by Seb at the end. There are indeed far more important things in life than racing in circles.

Shame they blew it on a one stop for him. At least he scored a point and was DOD. Fitting end.

Interesting that Mercedes was back to porpoising again today. Probably contributed to Lewis’ Hydraulic Failure. Ends 2022 with Mercedes first retirement of the year for him. Unfortunate.

Great drive by Charles to hold off Sergio. Also probably assures Binotto as TP next year.

That’s it till testing in February.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well done to Perez for getting third in the standings, only 3 points off LeClerc. Thank god that season is over, one I will probably totally forget about apart from a few interesting incidents. On to 2023 and a title fight, fingers crossed.

Hope Vettel comes back in a couple of years, one of the nicer guys on the grid.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well done to Perez for getting third in the standings, only 3 points off LeClerc.

And in the end Max not letting Perez by in Brazil did not affect the championship. Was still a d**k move, mind you.

Hope Vettel comes back in a couple of years, one of the nicer guys on the grid.

I'd like to see him in WEC.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Anyway. Routine win for Max; asserting his dominance over the rest. Good result for LeClerc. Perez just isn't up to the same level, pure and simple. He's had his chance and comeup short. Good No 2 driver, but not in the same league as Max etc. Russell outperforming his vastly more experienced and accomplished team mate in his first season with the team. Will we see a repeat of that next season? And if that were to happen, would Lewis retire?

I don't get this. Perez finished 3rd best in the world? What is wrong with that? It was a very close fight to be 2nd in the world. One or two laps extra could have changed it all. For once Ferrari had their strategy right this season when it mattered.

Sure Max is absolutely amazing, just look at the ease with which he goes around the track. Absolutely awesome, but being second/third I don't think equates to not being up to the same level...

It's not like he came sixth overall, was the 1st driver and came second to the 'rookie', or was involved in a lot of incidents. I think Perez did very well, and deserves to be a highly rated driver.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
And in the end Max not letting Perez by in Brazil did not affect the championship. Was still a d**k move, mind you.
So it didn't matter, wouldn't surprise me if that was one of his arguments opposed to the conspiracy theories, so why is is it a dick move if it actually doesn't matter? To me its a move by a confident winning attitude...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So it didn't matter, wouldn't surprise me if that was one of his arguments opposed to the conspiracy theories, so why is is it a dick move if it actually doesn't matter? To me its a move by a confident winning attitude...

It's a dick move because at the time, Perez needed every point he could use to fight for 2nd in the WDC and Perez had on so many occasions played "the loyal wingman" to help put Max in a position to win races that Max frankly owed him.

And consider the team only ordered Perez to let Max by at Brazil on the expectation that Max would chase down Alonso. Well Max didn't do that so he should have given the position back for that reason alone, much less that Perez could benefit from those 6th place points whereas Max could not.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not the best race. As predicted Max drove off and just managed his tyres. Yawn.
Perez wasn’t quite good enough to get to second in the WC. But despite the press trying to build it up into something to race for, who cares? There are no prizes for second.
Nice to see Seb getting to say goodbye. Glad he got to the end. I think he’s matured a lot since those early days. I wish him well in whatever he does next.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Because Max had the power at the time to make a difference and he refused.

If Perez did a dick move in Monaco (which also had no bearing on Max's championship), Max 100 did the same this time. Max is not a team player, and he should no longer expect to get the respect of being a team member moving forward. Checo will go out next year trying to win and will refuse to accept a #2 role like he has the last 2 years.

• Haha
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Because Max had the power at the time to make a difference and he refused.

If Perez did a dick move in Monaco (which also had no bearing on Max's championship), Max 100 did the same this time. Max is not a team player, and he should no longer expect to get the respect of being a team member moving forward. Checo will go out next year trying to win and will refuse to accept a #2 role like he has the last 2 years.
Any race driver any time should go out trying to win, if they don't then why are they there. And Checo better has some magical winter break or sabotage Max's car if he think he can win from him. I think that was demonstrated quite clearly the last few seasons.

Max seems to be a pretty good team player to me; world champion (again), manufacturers champion, you can't do that without a superb team.

• Haha

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Any race driver any time should go out trying to win, if they don't then why are they there. And Checo better has some magical winter break or sabotage Max's car if he think he can win from him. I think that was demonstrated quite clearly the last few seasons.

Max seems to be a pretty good team player to me; world champion (again), manufacturers champion, you can't do that without a superb team.
Oh, it’s not "manufacturers champion" it’s Constructors Champion. And Max didn’t get it, Red Bull did. Max was only person of 1000, and Adrian Newey is by far the most successful/important person in that team.

Are you aware that teams, be it Red Bull or whatever, work to 1) to maximise points, 2) try and maximise drivers points. When Max has already won the championship for the 2nd time*, why wouldn’t he help his teammate to become 2nd in the drivers championships.

You aware that Checo was asked to let Max through, being told that they will swap back? Max had other plans.

I wonder why Max has had so many team mates. 5 in 8 years! Max always screws them over. He screwed Sainz, Ricciardo, Gasly and Ocon. Now he’s done it to Perez. Wow!

*2021 World Championship will always be tainted.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.