Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I hope you're correct. Lewis seems very removed right now. Having another car up front to challenge is always preferred. I just wonder about him. He really seems distant on the radio. I don't see how George can do a P5 in the same chassis with a slightly different setup , with Lewis being lapped. It just seems to me that he is different mentally right now. George is out driving Lewis by a mile currently in the same car.

In the pre race interview with George and Toto conducted by Martin Bumble there certainly seemed to me anyway an almost Father/Son bond building between Toto and George. I think that bothers George's Teammate more than we can see externally.

If Mercedes had suddenly decided to support George at this point, I would hope Lewis would retire. They owe him a huge amount for his part in delivering 15 world championships and for them to stop supporting him would be ruthless. He’s made no secret he is struggling with a car that is poor by their standards and that of the competition at the front of the grid. Lewis has been in poor cars in his career before and always found a way through it. I think we’ll see improvements from him later in the season. He’s an older driver too and I’d hope George is matching him. So far it’s been pretty much tipped towards Lewis I think, despite this latest race.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
George had a much stronger start and Lap One than Lewis and allowed him to put most of the "mid-field train" behind him whereas Lewis' poorer start kept him stuck in said train. Lewis certainly did not benefit from DNS being disabled for almost half the race and once DNS was enabled, with all of the cars ahead of him all packed together and having DNS themselves, he just never had a chance to build any momentum in order to move past the cars ahead of him.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I don’t think they’d dare support one driver over the other lol. That would get messy. Lewis is one of the best at adapting to new cars though and I think we’ll see an improvement as the season goes on.

I agree it is far too early for Mercedes to choose a #1 driver now with only four races under the season's belt. Especially because I don't believe George has handily out-raced Lewis. At Bahrain and Australia, they finished 3rd and 4th, trading spots between each race.

George qualified far better than Lewis at Saudi Arabia, and yet Lewis had made up 10 spots by Lap 37, to only then get screwed over by the Virtual Safety car, which dropped him back 4 places.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I agree it is far too early for Mercedes to choose a #1 driver now with only four races under the season's belt. Especially because I don't believe George has handily out-raced Lewis. At Bahrain and Australia, they finished 3rd and 4th, trading spots between each race.

George qualified far better than Lewis at Saudi Arabia, and yet Lewis had made up 10 spots by Lap 37, to only then get screwed over by the Virtual Safety car, which dropped him back 4 places.

Just to clarify my comment. I wasn’t suggesting Mercedes was treating George as #1. My observation was that IMO, George is driving like #1. Which is fine by me as I have respect for both he and Lewis.

I‘m sorry though. Listening to the radio chatter Lewis is not the same.

I truly think he is ready to give 100% of his time to Mission 44. I don’t see or hear the fire any longer. I really don’t think #8 matters to him like it did last year. To me he seems like a person who cares more about equality and injustice than an 8th WDC.

Just my opinion. Besides, I’m a WCC kind of fan anyway, and I’m tired of Mercedes.

Reactions: Pezimak

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
So the fight is on between Red Bull and Ferrari, and today the local favorites were hugely disappointing with Carlos with bad luck right at the beginning, and then Charles probably trying a bit too hard towards the end, costing him dearly. That's racing, and so now we see Max and Sergio performing solidly, and Ferrari getting their share of the bad luck that Red Bull suffered from in the earlier races. Charles is still solidly ahead of Max but Ferrari will need to be in their best form consistently in the races ahead.

As far as Mercedes goes, uh, Lewis who? He's been a great champion but I'm not sorry to see him fading, and I'd prefer to see George blossom as the team gets itself sorted out.

Great to see Lando on the podium, too!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just to clarify my comment. I wasn’t suggesting Mercedes was treating George as #1. My observation was that IMO, George is driving like #1. Which is fine by me as I have respect for both he and Lewis.

I truly think he is ready to give 100% of his time to Mission 44. I don’t see or hear the fire any longer. I really don’t think #8 matters to him like it did last year. To me he seems like a person who cares more about equality and injustice than an 8th WDC.

Just my opinion. Besides, I’m a WCC kind of fan anyway, and I’m tired of Mercedes.

I think Lewis has been around long enough to realise that if his car is as far off the pace now this early in the season, it’s not going to be making that time up to win the championship. These guys train incredibly hard and focus their lives in this job and he must be frustrated as he knows he’s still good enough to win more titles. Many drivers like Alonso have been good enough, but not had the right car to do it. Lewis must be worried he is now in this position even though he is the best F1 driver of his generation and won more than anybody.

George is clearly finding the car easier to drive of late but that is irrelevant to Lewis unless he can unlock the same potential and not keep getting chummed by safety cars etc.

Reactions: ericwn

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As far as Mercedes goes, uh, Lewis who? He's been a great champion but I'm not sorry to see him fading, and I'd prefer to see George blossom as the team gets itself sorted out.

Great to see Lando on the podium, too!
I don’t see it as ‘Hamilton fading’ and more a difficult start with a car that is clearly very difficult to drive. I want to see Russell blossom too as he’s the next generation British driver along with Lando, but Lewis hasn’t suddenly faded or lost his talent in just a few months. There’s more to it that we don’t have knowledge of.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It’s true the Mercedes’ is not great this year and any improvements they make now are too little too late.
As for Lewis has the way the season concluded last year knocked him some how? If it still feels like he was robbed of his 8th title to all of us, how much more must it for him?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s true the Mercedes’ is not great this year and any improvements they make now are too little too late.
As for Lewis has the way the season concluded last year knocked him some how? If it still feels like he was robbed of his 8th title to all of us, how much more must it for him?

I would imagine the car being poor and the knowledge he won the title last season until the last lap are difficult events to process. Whether this is affecting his motivation only he knows. He could retire with immediate effect and still be one of the greatest F1 drivers ever. He doesn’t even need to win that 8th title to convince anybody of that. Maybe if the Mercedes continues to be crap, he should consider retiring while he’s still at the top?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I would imagine the car being poor and the knowledge he won the title last season until the last lap are difficult events to process. Whether this is affecting his motivation only he knows. He could retire with immediate effect and still be one of the greatest F1 drivers ever. He doesn’t even need to win that 8th title to convince anybody of that. Maybe if the Mercedes continues to be crap, he should consider retiring while he’s still at the top?
I think he'll see the season out and evaluate where they are at the end of the year before making a decision. But if 2023 looks like he won't be at the front I suspect he'll call it a day.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Text book by Red Bull, Bad luck for Sainz and LeClerc, Excellent driving by Lando, Yuki (my driver of the race), Russel and Bottas and Magnussen.

IMO George embarrassed Lewis again. George was overtaking on the inters in the wet to finish forth, 9 places ahead of Lewis, he’s not connecting with the car like George is. Lot of work needed there.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Lewis is intimately familiar with the AMG because of how many years he has been driving the thing, whereas George is effectively "fresh" and coming from a much poorer-performing car. So it could be that Lewis is struggling with a car that is worse than he is used to whereas George is in a car that, even if not performing to Mercedes par, is performing a lot better than the Williams.

So Lewis might not just have the innate confidence in the car to push hard, whereas George can now push harder than he ever was able to in a Williams.

Lewis also has the...luxury...to call his F1 career on his terms this season, whereas George knows he has been given a special opportunity to advance his F1 career so he may just be more naturally hungry at this point of the season than Lewis is.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021

Toto sees Russell as its crowned prince soon-to-be king.

Hamilton has a soon to arrive expiration date.

There's no reason to put too much effort or back-slapping on an expiring good.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Lewis is intimately familiar with the AMG because of how many years he has been driving the thing, whereas George is effectively "fresh" and coming from a much poorer-performing car. So it could be that Lewis is struggling with a car that is worse than he is used to whereas George is in a car that, even if not performing to Mercedes par, is performing a lot better than the Williams.

So Lewis might not just have the innate confidence in the car to push hard, whereas George can now push harder than he ever was able to in a Williams.

Lewis also has the...luxury...to call his F1 career on his terms this season, whereas George knows he has been given a special opportunity to advance his F1 career so he may just be more naturally hungry at this point of the season than Lewis is.

So your saying Lewis has effectively forgotten how to drive a poor car then? Why is he paid more then almost any other driver then? IMO that makes him an average driver at best and George a better driver.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t think Lewis has forgotten how to drive a bad car. This years Mercedes is particularly bad and for some reason Lewis or the team is struggling to get the car set up to his liking. George found more potential yesterday and it may be that his style is suited to the way the car handles. They are different people and have different preferences like any driver. I don’t think anybody needs to be particularly concerned if George is finishing ahead of Lewis right now as so little is at stake in terms of winning. This is a development year and the pressure is firmly on Mercedes to rectify the car for both drivers, not just one. Lewis is fortunate in that he has nothing to prove and is close to the end of his F1 career, he simply wants to go out on a high for personal satisfaction. I doubt he’s overly bothered by the perception he has amongst the average Facebook moron commenting on the F1 page.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So your saying Lewis has effectively forgotten how to drive a poor car then?

I am saying that I do not believe Lewis has the confidence in the car to push it hard enough to always drive it forward from a poor starting position like he has done in past seasons. He evidently commented after the race that the M13 is one of the worst-performing cars he has ever driven.

George, on the other hand, came from a Williams which even on it's best day does not perform as well than an AMG on it's worst day. And he did miracles with that Williams. So I am not surprised he is doing miracles with the M13, as well.

Side note - listening to "The Backmarkers" F1 podcast as I type this and one of the hosts is right now saying the exact same thing as I have: George is used to a crap car and making the most of it and he did so last weekend.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
The average Facebook moron on the F1 page lol. The clue was in the sentence

I don’t use it so didn’t know they were that bad!

The only thing wrong with Lewis is he just cannot meld with the new car! He is literally doing a Ricardo and Vetel, all ex championship winners, I think Ric has won it? But they don’t meld with the cars.

The youngsters seem to be connecting more and flying as a result, well young compared to those three anyway. Interesting it’s working out.

It’s sad, but we as a result get a 4 way battle! If Perez can stay at the front too. I don’t think Sainz is doing well enough to be counted as a consistent front runner yet.

If It is to do with the younger drivers, then it’s because they are more hungry, perhaps are willing to risk more and lack that experience that may conflict with how they setup the cars like the older drivers? More so then coming from under performing cars. A different mindset perhaps?

I think if Yuki keeps going like he is, he will be champion one day for sure if he’s moved to a top team. Not yet though but he was mighty with his overtaking.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Mercedes has one major flaw. The Team Principle has too large a share of ownership in the Team. It is beginning to diminish his focus and vision for direction.

He has his fingers in all pies doesn’t play fair and likes dirty politics… he has his eye I think on running the sport one day.
I agree the team principle should be an employee, not the business owner.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t use it so didn’t know they were that bad!

The only thing wrong with Lewis is he just cannot meld with the new car! He is literally doing a Ricardo and Vetel, all ex championship winners, I think Ric has won it? But they don’t meld with the cars.

The youngsters seem to be connecting more and flying as a result, well young compared to those three anyway. Interesting it’s working out.

It’s sad, but we as a result get a 4 way battle! If Perez can stay at the front too. I don’t think Sainz is doing well enough to be counted as a consistent front runner yet.

If It is to do with the younger drivers, then it’s because they are more hungry, perhaps are willing to risk more and lack that experience that may conflict with how they setup the cars like the older drivers? More so then coming from under performing cars. A different mindset perhaps?

I think if Yuki keeps going like he is, he will be champion one day for sure if he’s moved to a top team. Not yet though but he was mighty with his overtaking.

Yeah it’s an appalling cesspit for people who don’t seem to know any background on drivers and just throw unfounded jibes. I can’t get involved as you can’t teach pork.

Ricciardo hasn’t won a championship but has struggled at McLaren despite being a very good driver. I think it’s early to suggest Lewis has lost form as he was driving some of his best in just December last year. I can’t believe he’s lost his touch in just a few months. This Mercedes must be so radically different to the past years that it’s taking time to adjust. I’m not comparing him to Russell as he needs to sort the issues out with the team before any of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn and 2REPOU

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
He has his fingers in all pies doesn’t play fair and likes dirty politics… he has his eye I think on running the sport one day.
I agree the team principle should be an employee, not the business owner.

It can work and it can’t. Mercedes have done pretty well under Toto I would say. Frank Williams, Ron Dennis, Enzo Ferrari, Peter Sauber, Ken Tyrell, Colin Chapman and list goes on, all owned teams or majority stakes and steered them to huge success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.