Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
From what I have read it looks like Lewis was on soft tyres and asked to make the decision on whether he thought he should pit under the safety car but lacked the knowledge of where his competitors were and not told the medium was the faster tyre. Lewis felt the team should have advised him but I suppose Russell had the same choice and it paid off for him as he pitted for mediums and overtook Lewis and Valtteri. I felt from the clips I’ve seen Lewis was back to his best and understanding by the car much better, but his luck doesn’t seem to be changing with safety cars etc and once again he’s finishing behind his teammate. That’s racing though.

Lewis had a very poor 2011 season where he made a lot of mistakes and was clearly frustrated in the car. He got a lot of flack and people questioned his ability and whether his previous form was a fluke. He certainly came back even stronger after that and hope he has the fight in him now at 37 to do it again. If he doesn’t, well that’s up him and he’s already proven his ability with a bulletproof legacy. He may want to retire at the end of the season while he’s still good enough and not be one of those champions that stick around past their sell by date.

100%

On a serious note, I hope LM finds himself again. Winning isn’t everything, especially if you’ve already won the championship multiple times.

Its all about being classy and magnanimous in the hard times that defines a true champion.

Win as a team together, loose as a team together.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I see Seb is being an idiot, the argument over jewellery is also about the drivers wearing none compliant fire proof underwear, now to me it seems totally reasonable for the FIA to enforce the drivers wear compliant fireproof underwear, but Seb doesn't like this and wore a pair of boxer shorts over his racing overalls at the weekend to show defiance, arguing we never had an issue before, well yes, but as proven recently F1 cars can still go up in a ball of flames with the driver inside.. and fire proof clothes literally save your life then. To me it seems needlessly petty to argue against wearing fireproof garments when driving a race car? You may have an argument with the jewellery but clothing?
As I said before they drove fine before the halo, yet the halo has saved a few lives or serious injuries now.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
From what I have read it looks like Lewis was on soft tyres and asked to make the decision on whether he thought he should pit under the safety car but lacked the knowledge of where his competitors were and not told the medium was the faster tyre. Lewis felt the team should have advised him but I suppose Russell had the same choice and it paid off for him as he pitted for mediums and overtook Lewis and Valtteri. I felt from the clips I’ve seen Lewis was back to his best and understanding by the car much better, but his luck doesn’t seem to be changing with safety cars etc and once again he’s finishing behind his teammate. That’s racing though.

Lewis had a very poor 2011 season where he made a lot of mistakes and was clearly frustrated in the car. He got a lot of flack and people questioned his ability and whether his previous form was a fluke. He certainly came back even stronger after that and hope he has the fight in him now at 37 to do it again. If he doesn’t, well that’s up him and he’s already proven his ability with a bulletproof legacy. He may want to retire at the end of the season while he’s still good enough and not be one of those champions that stick around past their sell by date.
It depends on how the Mercs finishes the season , if they are back in the mix , which means Lewis is also winning some races , he will stay , if they are 1 second of the pace as they are now, then its over for him , cant blame him either if that's the case.
He crushed the qualy while Russell was struggling and was great on race day but again out of luck , I believe that he is also faster when the car is drivable , so if the Merc gets on top of it , he will be lighting quick.

hoping for some Ferrari upgrades , Barcelona shouldn't be too bad regarding the straight , so a bit more downforce and speed in the corners and we should be able to pull away from the bulls.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Darn it. Looks like F1 TV have fixed their app, I can only use it to watch the live races on my iPhone or iPad, I cannot airplay it as the app gives an error and crashes, and it no longer works on my Fire TV, so it’s back to watching it on Sky or the Channel 4 highlights.
What a shame as the presenters on the F1 TV app were brilliant! Very refreshing. The quality from the app when using airplay was fantastic too.

So we will see what they do in 2024 when Skys contract is up, I can only hope another player out bids Sky and release their monopoly.

Last edited:

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
I see Seb is being an idiot, the argument over jewellery is also about the drivers wearing none compliant fire proof underwear, now to me it seems totally reasonable for the FIA to enforce the drivers wear compliant fireproof underwear, but Seb doesn't like this and wore a pair of boxer shorts over his racing overalls at the weekend to show defiance, arguing we never had an issue before, well yes, but as proven recently F1 cars can still go up in a ball of flames with the driver inside.. and fire proof clothes literally save your life then. To me it seems needlessly petty to argue against wearing fireproof garments when driving a race car? You may have an argument with the jewellery but clothing?
As I said before they drove fine before the halo, yet the halo has saved a few lives or serious injuries now.

May be bit more to it

Funny tho ?

2REPOU

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2019
I guess my feeling on these guys is I see some wiggle room for this stuff. In the jr formulas they are protecting children in most cases. If a grown adult wants to wear an earing or wedding ring, I guess they can accept some responsibility. Perhaps an exception of like 1 or 2 pieces of jewelry and no bigger than 'x'. I know JV wore glasses in Indycar but did not in F1

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

May be bit more to it

Funny tho ?

Not really, why would a driver refuse to wear fire proof garments considering the cars still catch fire? I fail to see the argument. Not to when racing?

Basically to me it seems the new FIA president has requested the rules now be enforced and the drivers don't like it, they complained last year when the rules weren't enforced and they complain this year when they are..

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Not really, why would a driver refuse to wear fire proof garments considering the cars still catch fire? I fail to see the argument. Not to when racing?

Basically to me it seems the new FIA president has requested the rules now be enforced and the drivers don't like it, they complained last year when the rules weren't enforced and they complain this year when they are..
I am seeing this as:

Seb is saying Lewis is being singled out with regards to Jewelry The underwear is pheripheral.

The prank about wearing the underwear over his overalls, to be compliant with current regulations, and the FIA sticking their nose into official ism, is in my opinion very funny!

Also raises awareness of this activity by the FIA. Nefarious or otherwise

My opinion on this, happy to leave it there

Hope you have a lovely evening

Martin

Reactions: pachyderm

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Very clean season so far at the top. No unnecessary wheel to wheel collisions.

Rooting for the Prancing Horse. Finally they are back in the mix.

And good to see George Russell not following in the footsteps of Bottas. Going tow to tow with Hamilton in last race.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
For any British posters, Sebastian Vettel is on Newsnight making some great points about renewable energy and coming across as a very clever chap. Surprised to see him on and didn’t immediately twig it was him lol.
I saw him talking about that last season in one of the pre race shows. He did make some very valid points and my opinion of him went up.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So evidently Miami set a new record for viewership in the USA at 2 million live plus recorded and was double what the Spanish Grand Prix pulled in a year prior.

• Wow
Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So evidently Miami set a new record for viewership in the USA at 2 million live plus recorded and was double what the Spanish Grand Prix pulled in a year prior.

It’s crazy to think in Europe though the live viewing figures have decreased massively since 2011. I remember Bernie saying that it didn’t matter how many people watch the races live, as long as people watch some of it. Mad business model if you ask me.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It’s crazy to think in Europe though the live viewing figures have decreased massively since 2011. I remember Bernie saying that it didn’t matter how many people watch the races live, as long as people watch some of it. Mad business model if you ask me.

Good old Bernie. We could call the WDC, and WCC for Ferrari right now if he still ran the show.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Good old Bernie. We could call the WDC, and WCC for Ferrari right now if he still ran the show.

It wouldn’t be his influence, he hated Ferrari but understood the power of their brand to the revenue he got. He more than once told Enzo to walk away if he didn’t like it but everybody was looking out for their own interests. I think the FIA were more in bed with Ferrari during those years.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It wouldn’t be his influence, he hated Ferrari but understood the power of their brand to the revenue he got. He more than once told Enzo to walk away if he didn’t like it but everybody was looking out for their own interests. I think the FIA were more in bed with Ferrari during those years.

Yes, I agree. That was more to my point. It was a crazy week for me and I would have benefitted from another 8-10oz of Coffee. ?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
For any British posters, Sebastian Vettel is on Newsnight making some great points about renewable energy and coming across as a very clever chap. Surprised to see him on and didn’t immediately twig it was him lol.

IMO I think when Seb stops racing which will be coming one day, he should join the FIA safety team or something, he would be good at that. Senna ran his own very successful business and raced in F1. They are certainly some smart cookies.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Yes, I don’t think selling it to a locked expensive premium subscription on Sky has exactly helped it either.. in any country where Sky is it seems you can only watch F1 on Sky. The F1 TV app still only works on my phone or tablet. I’m almost tempted to watch it like that just so I don’t pay Sky anymore. I seriously hope and pray in 2024 Sky are outbid by Amazon or someone, or they force them to allow all live races on the F1 TV app.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yes, I don’t think selling it to a locked expensive premium subscription on Sky has exactly helped it either.. in any country where Sky is it seems you can only watch F1 on Sky. The F1 TV app still only works on my phone or tablet. I’m almost tempted to watch it like that just so I don’t pay Sky anymore. I seriously hope and pray in 2024 Sky are outbid by Amazon or someone, or they force them to allow all live races on the F1 TV app.

I used to have a chipped box where I could watch the SkyF1 channel and pretty much every Sky channel for about £50 and did that for a few years. I found though I am not getting time on a Sunday to sit down and watch races like I could when I was in my 20’s. I just stick with highlights now or YouTube roundups. Nearly all my F1 loving friends who used to go to GP’s years ago have ceased watching altogether. The Sky deal killed a huge audience off in the UK and it’s never recovered and I know the same happened in Spain, France and Germany. I have toyed with the idea of going back to IPTV and getting a Sky feed back on the cheap again but yet to do it. Not paying full price for Sky and never will.

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
This year is going to be a straight up development war.

Ferrari has a head start since it basically used last season to test and develop the current F1-75 chassis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.