Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
It's getting more like coaching in the NFL.

The portal window, IMHO, is a horrible idea.

Making sure the athletes get paid is fine though.

I agree, college is becoming like the Pros.

Except about paying them. They get a free $100,000 education. And for those that say "but what about the NCAA and the colleges making all this money off their talents?" I say to these kids "welcome ot the real world, where we all work for the enrichment of others."

Although, NIL I get. If you use heir name and picture for advertising or whatever, they should get something for that.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
The portal window, IMHO, is a horrible idea.

As a former college athlete, I am torn on the portal for a couple of reasons.

First, this is most likely the first major decision a 17-18 old makes in their life. And they are really only shown the positives of the program they are looking at. Now I played baseball, so we didn't get all the recruitment perks the football and basketball players got, but they still did their best to put a positive spin on everything.

So you get to school and things are not at all like either you imagined they would be or they were flat out misrepresented and you want to leave. If this was a job, you would simply find another and go about your business. But before the portal, you had to sit out a year and also lose a year of eligibility.

Second, the coach was not bound to the school. They could leave at any time and I know a good part of my decision was the coach. I liked him and would have been pissed had I signed the scholarship and before I even set foot on campus, the coach had left for a different program.

But I do think the portal is being abused. Kids who think they are better than they really are will leave to go someplace they think they will be a starter. And they might. But they also might not.

So I see both sides.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
As a former college athlete, I am torn on the portal for a couple of reasons.

First, this is most likely the first major decision a 17-18 old makes in their life. And they are really only shown the positives of the program they are looking at. Now I played baseball, so we didn't get all the recruitment perks the football and basketball players got, but they still did their best to put a positive spin on everything.

So you get to school and things are not at all like either you imagined they would be or they were flat out misrepresented and you want to leave. If this was a job, you would simply find another and go about your business. But before the portal, you had to sit out a year and also lose a year of eligibility.

Second, the coach was not bound to the school. They could leave at any time and I know a good part of my decision was the coach. I liked him and would have been pissed had I signed the scholarship and before I even set foot on campus, the coach had left for a different program.

But I do think the portal is being abused. Kids who think they are better than they really are will leave to go someplace they think they will be a starter. And they might. But they also might not.

So I see both sides.
I get that and something needs to be in place for such occurrences, i.e. the Portal Window, but I still feel like it could be done better... I could be very wrong though. I have been before and I will be again!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Regarding the portal... do we know if the school can say something to the effect of:

You transfer out after we have given you a scholarship, you will be on the hook to pay said scholarship back?
Well, whatever contract the NCAA will allow, if you sign it…

Maybe a more palatable approach would be a graduated scholarship. You get half each year, with the other half becoming an interest-deferred loan. If you come back in subsequent years, the loan from the previous year is forgiven. If you are injured, and can no longer play again, any outstanding loan is forgiven. If you complete your eligibility, any outstanding loan is forgiven. If you leave early (with eligibility remaining): 1) for the NFL draft, you repay any outstanding loan 2) for hardship, you can apply to have your loan forgiven.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Well, whatever contract the NCAA will allow, if you sign it…

Maybe a more palatable approach would be a graduated scholarship. You get half each year, with the other half becoming an interest-deferred loan. If you come back in subsequent years, the loan from the previous year is forgiven. If you are injured, and can no longer play again, any outstanding loan is forgiven. If you complete your eligibility, any outstanding loan is forgiven. If you leave early (with eligibility remaining): 1) for the NFL draft, you repay any outstanding loan 2) for hardship, you can apply to have your loan forgiven.

This would be good too, I just don't know if there are any provisions regarding folks can leave on a whim!

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Harbaugh apparently didn't respect the NCAA's restrictions. He got caught violating them, and didn't want to live deal with that anymore.
That's probably true of most of most of the NCAA coaches.

It's getting caught that's the kicker.

You do bring up a good point though, what is going to happen to U of M in the wake of his aftermath?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
That's probably true of most of most of the NCAA coaches.

It's getting caught that's the kicker.

You do bring up a good point though, what is going to happen to U of M in the wake of his aftermath?

I mentioned this in the NFL thread... dude had a good gig, just won the big trophy, still had a good team under him. GRRRRRRR. With both of my favorite teams losing their coaches, I am preparing for mediocre to fair seasons from both colleges. :(:(

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
I mentioned this in the NFL thread... dude had a good gig, just won the big trophy, still had a good team under him. GRRRRRRR. With both of my favorite teams losing their coaches, I am preparing for mediocre to fair seasons from both colleges. :(:(
If you talk to the Huskies, they'll tell you that your Sooners have nothing to worry about. They are ALL KINDS of livid about Deborer (and half the team) bailing on them. Harbaugh better do good with with Justin. 😁

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
still had a good team under him.
From what I heard (and I don't know ) is that the Michigan team was built to win now, and in 2024, its going to need a rebuild. On the roster they had 66 players, 26 of them are freshmen and sophomores, the majority are junior and seniors. Their defense is similar, in that they 69 people on defensive roster, 38 are freshmen and sophomores.

To me, I think his departure was a done deal regardless of the national championship win. I think with the NCAA breaking down Michigan's neck, how the administration has hung him out to dry, and no backed him up, left a bad taste in his mouth. Also don't forget a few years back, they gave him an ultimatum - take a massive pay cut or get fired. He said all of the right things, but you don't forget that.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
From what I heard (and I don't know ) is that the Michigan team was built to win now, and in 2024, its going to need a rebuild. On the roster they had 66 players, 26 of them are freshmen and sophomores, the majority are junior and seniors. Their defense is similar, in that they 69 people on defensive roster, 38 are freshmen and sophomores.

To me, I think his departure was a done deal regardless of the national championship win. I think with the NCAA breaking down Michigan's neck, how the administration has hung him out to dry, and no backed him up, left a bad taste in his mouth. Also don't forget a few years back, they gave him an ultimatum - take a massive pay cut or get fired. He said all of the right things, but you don't forget that.
ooof! I'd forgotten about that.

No, you don't...

Reactions: Don Quixote

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Well I sure didn't have this on my 2024 season Bingo card:

Wow! Leaves UCLA, which is joining the B1G, to be the OC at OSU. Just wow.

Monumentally dumb. Going backwards in your career. And it's not like Ohio State is poised to win a National Championship.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Well, my first thought was: "Fake news". But, it comes from ESPN which we all know is the Sports World's direct revelation from God. So it must be true.

Going back to sleep now. Maybe sanity will return when I wake up. 😴

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
I loved Chip Kelly when he was at Oregon; his "style" did great things for the Ducks, but ever since then it seems like he's been ping-ponging around trying to find another place where he "fits." First in the NFL where things didn't work out so well for him, then I thought he was doing okay with UCLA only to "Go Backwards" as @Rafterman stated and go off to Ohio State. I've tried to remain supportive of Kelly as he's traveled from one team to the next, but I don't know about this move.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I loved Chip Kelly when he was at Oregon; his "style" did great things for the Ducks, but ever since then it seems like he's been ping-ponging around trying to find another place where he "fits."

I wonder if he somehow caught "lightning in a bottle" there for a few years. Just the right combination of players that worked his system very well.

And he hasn't been able to find it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.