Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008

Really? No! No! No!

You already are going to 4 teams too many.

The past (#1 vs #2)

💰

BCS

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

CFP 2024-2025

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

CFP 2026+

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

Reactions: dmr727

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
At this point, just split college football. Separate the Power 5 and Group 5 schools, get rid of the bowls and just let each play a 16 team playoff like the lower divisions have done for decades.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
At this point, just split college football. Separate the Power 5 and Group 5 schools, get rid of the bowls and just let each play a 16 team playoff like the lower divisions have done for decades.

Easy that makes way to much sense... Way to much sense.

Even Saban seems to have gotten tired of the direction of CFB:

In meeting with players after the season, Saban said he estimates that “70 to 80%” wanted playing time and NIL assurances, furthering the idea that it was time for him to hang up his whistle. He also cited the constant churn of assistant coaches as a contributing factor.

“So I’m saying to myself, ‘Maybe this doesn’t work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it’s all about how much money can I make as a college player?’” Saban said. “I’m not saying that’s bad. I’m not saying it’s wrong. I’m just saying that’s never been what we were all about, and it’s not why we had success through the years.”

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
  • Sad
Reactions: Don Quixote

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Yeah It makes it sound as though he liked the "indentured servitude" aspect of it... which in a way I guess we all did...

I don't blame the kids for wanting to be paid, but combined with the transfer protocol, it's changed the nature of the game. I'm not suggesting that it needs to go back to the way it was, but as @Herdfan suggested - let's break off the Power 5 schools and let them have their pro league. The situation isn't just hurting other schools in college football, it's hurting college athletics in general.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I don't blame the kids for wanting to be paid, but combined
I know what you mean. On one hand, the schools, and the NCAA made billions off of these players, they got a degree. Yet with said, both the NIL and transfer portal is ruining the game. A player that is fairly blessed with talent is unwilling to sit on the bench. Instead of learning, improving, he wants his play time, and if he doesn't get it, he leaves.

I do think they should be paid, but I think the transfer portal needs to be locked down, or changed so that we don't have wholesale changes from year to year

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I know what you mean. On one hand, the schools, and the NCAA made billions off of these players, they got a degree. Yet with said, both the NIL and transfer portal is ruining the game. A player that is fairly blessed with talent is unwilling to sit on the bench. Instead of learning, improving, he wants his play time, and if he doesn't get it, he leaves.

I do think they should be paid, but I think the transfer portal needs to be locked down, or changed so that we don't have wholesale changes from year to year

I think NIL has been used in ways it was not envisioned. Ok, it was probably envisioned by some, but it seems to have gone beyond the intent.

It was meant so kids could get endorsement deals for the use of their name. For example a car dealer might want a star player to come sign some autographs or appear in a commercial. And players in video games would get a cut. Little stuff like that. Now some had large social media followings which they were able to turn into endorsement deals (Olivia Dunn for example).

But these large schools through their booster organizations are using it to pay players under the guise of NIL. That was never the intent, but the NCAA has no teeth unless a coach buys a kid a burger at McDonald's and then they are all over it. So it got away from them and fast.

I saw on a sports show the other evening that the NCAA is looking at expanding March Madness to 72 or 76 teams so the big conferences can get more teams in. Otherwise the P5's might just leave the NCAA and form their own organization.

I think this will happen within the next 10 years anyway.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I think NIL has been used in ways it was not envisioned. Ok, it was probably envisioned by some, but it seems to have gone beyond the intent.
You're not wrong, but I think the NCAA created this mess by being greedy, wanting to have the money all to themselves. They viewed themselves as the great benefactor, giving kids an education for free will getting paid billions. Not even thinking that they set up a defacto professional football league .

If they realized the writing on the wall and made changes to pay these athletes, much of this mess could have been avoided but like most things in life - greed wins out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I don't blame the kids for wanting to be paid, but combined with the transfer protocol, it's changed the nature of the game. I'm not suggesting that it needs to go back to the way it was, but as @Herdfan suggested - let's break off the Power 5 schools and let them have their pro league. The situation isn't just hurting other schools in college football, it's hurting college athletics in general.
It's ruined the game as it was... but I've no problem with the athletes getting paid either.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023

I do think they should be paid, but I think the transfer portal needs to be locked down, or changed so that we don't have wholesale changes from year to year.

100%

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008

CFB is in the middle of a transitional period (some would call chaos) that has yet to settle, and the broader issues of how to classify college players legally in general is still piecemeal. Ideally, Congress should step in and provide some sort of consistent framework, but we all know Congress is pretty much just a mostly worthless snakepit for politicians to wrangle in and achieve little.

The NCAA has been neutered by the lawsuits it has faced, and still faces, and can't meet the challenge to get a handle on the transfer portal, which has effectively turned into unrestricted free agency and taken one of the main sources of leverage coaches have with the players. Saban said as much that's he's too old for that crap and a big reason why he quit.

Financially, it has no direct involvement in the running of Div. I football; the schools/conferences and the networks run that show on their own and have for a long time. The bowl system has never been under the purvey of the NCAA, except for the basic rules, and that continued under the playoff system. The reason why bowl slots used to be so coveted was that it was bonus money that could come about if the team performed well enough to be invited, and receive a payout to show up after the formal regular season had ended.

The bulk of the NCAA's revenues come from the media contracts and marketing rights it holds for the Div. I men's hoops tournament. More than half of which goes back to the schools.

Utlimately, it is the schools which get the spoils, and they are beholden to the broadcasters who provide the big bucks TV contracts, and hold the power. Some university presidents are all in on the money sports to help them balance their budgets (though they often fail), and some aren't, but can't ignore the bottom line effects. It's not hard to tell something is out of whack when the coaches are the highest paid employees at the schools, or even the highest paid public workers, for state schools.

The players have won the right to NIL, but only the top tier of stars will get the big bucks.

For the vast majority, it was recently revealed that EA will only pay a minimum of $600, plus a copy of the game, for players that opt in to their CFB game; take it or leave it, because those that decline will be completely shut out. 10,000 have opted in, which will cost the company…all of a whopping $6 million (for a company that has ~$7B in annual revnues). Don't spend it all in one place, kids!

I don't expect sanity to prevail any time soon, and even if the discussions on things most can generally agree on would result in a separate semi-pro league, there will still be those who consider themselves "more equal" than the others, like the SEC and Big Ten.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
The Heisman Foundation voted to give Reggie Bush his Heisman back.

They said it was due to the changing landscape regarding college athletics. Not sure I agree since he violated the rules that were in place at the time.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Ideally, Congress should step in and provide some sort of consistent framework, but we all know Congress is pretty much just a mostly worthless snakepit for politicians to wrangle in and achieve little.
The last thing college football needs is for the government at any level to get involved.

If you think college football is bad now, it will be 100 times worse once government gets involved.

Reactions: Herdfan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The Heisman Foundation voted to give Reggie Bush his Heisman back.

They said it was due to the changing landscape regarding college athletics. Not sure I agree since he violated the rules that were in place at the time.
That was so stupid and wrong to take it away. I hope Reggie Bush tells them to shove that trophy where the sun doesn't shine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.