Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
He inherited it when the cars ahead of him cycled through their pit stops under Green. Then Logan was taken out and that generated a Safety Car which allowed Lando to have a quicker pit stop and not lose the lead. The Safety Car then picked up Max out of habit so they had to cycle the field past otherwise Lando would have had almost a full lap lead.
wow

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I have to chuckle when the commentators call it a cheap pit stop, from the red bulls point, it was actually very expensive... Because the cars are trundling around at 80km/h, instead of 200 at that point, you come in, there is no overtaking, so timed right, you gain time.. But that is the gamble you take, wait for the SC and win win chicken dinner, or you could mis time the safety car, as some did with the VSC... This is why it is is a team sport, there have been wins lost/won as a result of a stubborn nut.. Or back in the day, some muppet driving off with a long hose.. Kind of miss the refueling..
And that is McLaren told Oscar Piastry to stop fighting/racing. I got to give it to the dude, he was probably a bigger 'victim' of this situation than Max. Fell back so many places, but was really going for it. So much so with amazing attacks in risky areas that he was told to not do that as that could have jeopardise Landos win. It was too risky. Great example of a teamsport, or a great example of excellent attitude by Oscar where he was going for it, and when told he was also adjusting without moaning. Loved it.
It was actually quite an exciting race, would have prefered the 3 FP sessions, the Sprint although exciting, to me cheapens the race as there is potential for degreaded full race as cars are damaged or unable to partake..
Yet none of that actually happened 🤷‍♂️ As a spectator who actually goes to the circuits for a weekend I'm loving the extra action.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
I have to chuckle when the commentators call it a cheap pit stop, from the red bulls point, it was actually very expensive... Because the cars are trundling around at 80km/h, instead of 200 at that point, you come in, there is no overtaking, so timed right, you gain time.. But that is the gamble you take, wait for the SC and win win chicken dinner, or you could mis time the safety car, as some did with the VSC... This is why it is is a team sport, there have been wins lost/won as a result of a stubborn nut.. Or back in the day, some muppet driving off with a long hose.. Kind of miss the refueling.. It was actually quite an exciting race, would have preferred the 3 FP sessions, the Sprint although exciting, to me cheapens the race as there is potential for degraded full race as cars are damaged or unable to partake..
Same. And I'm not sure if anyone has had a sprint incident that has cost them anything in qualifying, or the actual race, but I worry about that all the time on sprint weekends.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Same. And I'm not sure if anyone has had a sprint incident that has cost them anything in qualifying, or the actual race, but I worry about that all the time on sprint weekends.

It’ll happen at some point no doubt and cost a driver dearly in points. I don’t bother with sprints, just a gimmick I’m not interested in, I just follow the traditional format which is more interesting for me.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Norris' car had a full set of upgrades and was internally referred to as a "B-spec" version. Piastri had some updates, but not the full set. Both will have everything for Imola.

Yes. I'm just curious how it will handle the deg at Imola on a softer tire. It lights it tires allot quicker than the Ferrari or RB.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Just watched the Miami race. WOW!!! What a race! So so sooooo pleased for Lando. That pace he had at the end dominated Max! Very telling for future races….

Ahh I was grinning so much for Lando. British Team and Driver on top! Even though most of the teams are based in Britain with British staff but you know what I mean lol.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Not a fan of the Miami circuit but a good, interesting and entertaining race. Congrats Lando. Well deserved.

Now if F1 would just let Andretti in or he would buy Alpine. Happy days.
It figures my fellow countrymen would watch the worst commercial extravaganza in the F1 season... and probably like it and believe it was an amazing race.

I mean, I'm glad Lando won but I'd love to see this event dropped.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It figures my fellow countrymen would watch the worst commercial extravaganza in the F1 season... and probably like it and believe it was an amazing race.

I mean, I'm glad Lando won but I'd love to see this event dropped.

I watched the highlights purely to witness a bit of Lando’s history, but the circuit is appalling and the whole Miami spectacle is very naff. I’d sooner see him win at a blue ribbon circuit like Silverstone, Monaco or Monza, but you never know.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
IMG_1011.jpeg
SF-24 testing new Spray Covers. Gaudy looking.

• Wow
Reactions: Don Quixote

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Those are not representative of what the final cover will be (which looks more like flaps based on artist renderings). They are just to validate computer simulation work of how spray propagates behind the car as much of this spray is generated by the diffuser and not the tires.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I can foresee a lot of violent debris once there are a few touched wheels in the first corners. Cool innovation though.

I guess we will need to see the final iteration. Definitely one of my first thoughts.

Those are not representative of what the final cover will be (which looks more like flaps based on artist renderings). They are just to validate computer simulation work of how spray propagates behind the car as much of this spray is generated by the diffuser and not the tires.

I wonder if they will use a light weight material other than Carbon Fiber?

CF in any contact area seems like a poor choice?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I guess we will need to see the final iteration. Definitely one of my first thoughts.

I wonder if they will use a light weight material other than Carbon Fiber?

CF in any contact area seems like a poor choice?

It’s a prototype, much like when we were seeing the halo iterations being tested I think. Plus they couldn’t completely enclose the wheels like we see here as it would mean F1 would no longer be categorised as an open wheel series.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It’s a prototype, much like when we were seeing the halo iterations being tested I think. Plus they couldn’t completely enclose the wheels like we see here as it would mean F1 would no longer be categorised as an open wheel series.
Wouldn’t the brakes overheat as well? That’s already an issue.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Most of the brake cooling comes from ducts placed between the wheels and the chassis. These are presumably not blocked by the covers.

They have to have some venting through the hub though I’d imagine. Even the caps used in 2008 had exit vents as the rotor ribs on the hubs act to dispel heat. I’m sure Craig Scarborough will work it out for fans, he usually does.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Why race if there is rain forecast? That is what happens in the US, if there is rain within 3 or 4 days of the event, the event is postponed.. Safety is a factor, so if there is rain, just postpone the event, wait, maybe run the race at 10am Monday, offer free seats, or free doughnuts with the $99 coffee..

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Why race if there is rain forecast?

The issue is not rain, in general, but torrential rain that either is too much for the Extreme Wets to dissipate or that kicks up so much spray that the field behind the leader cannot see which can lead to Spa 1998...

Nothing to be done for the former but postpone/cancel the race, indeed. But for the latter, there is hope these "rain guards" will help mitigate the risk of spray blinding the drivers.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
If it is too wet for extremes, it is too wet to race.. There should be adults in F1 race control, and sadly, F1 does not employ adults.. Adults that can be reasonable with logic, and think, "is this safe?" If not then don't race...

The only reason for "rain-guards" is for the spray, at that point the tyres are themselves more like the hull of a small rubber duck, they are no longer tyres... The idea of rain guards is pointless, a lot of F1 now is pointless, and to prove this, they want points to 20th...

I have watched enough wet races, and there was only 1 wet race that matters, Canada 2011.. Insane cannot begin to describe that event, It was wet enough that at some point an adult was employed in time, to red flag, but brave enough to send the fleet of rubber ducks out, and we had a brilliant end of race..It was safe...

Where we had the lack of adult supervision, Japan, more than once, 1 year, Martin Brundle nearly severed the legs off a marshall, and sadly we lost a driver... Jules Bianchi..Which brought about a raft of innovations which sadly the children running F1 forget, that is the thing with employing toddlers, they have not had time to learn...

The concept of rain guards is built on a bad idea.. If it is wet enough for rain guards, you really should be racing paper boats...Not meat in carbon tubs..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.