Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
The heat gun you used is one for DIY purposes?
I own one for wood restauration - it blows air with up to 250-300 degree Celsius!

So the risk to surpass critical temperatures for the cpu and grill the CPU is existant...

The method with the electric iron might be much more secure and preferable- because it does not get that hot and you can easily regulate temperature of the electric iron - which you can't with the instrument Ou used.
I might nevertheless overestimate the risk because The lid might in most cases fall off just at the moment of reaching the "right" temperature" and so prevent further heating of the CPU.......
Hope though that you will enjoy intact CPUs and your upgraded MacPro. :) Let us know...

In some months I will upgrade my MP 2009 as well- preferring as well two 5670 as best-buy....but I tend more and more to use the lidded CPUs with perfectly adapted washers...By doing so eliminating some risks and saving lots of time....

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
1. Will a 5670 run in a 5.1 single CPU tray?

2. Does anyone know how vulnerable these CPUs are to pairing.

1. Yes.

2. I'm running X5677s in my 5,1. I bought the CPUs separately, and one of them had a bad memory channel. I returned the bad one and got a replacement. So, of course not a matched set. As long as both CPUs are marked the same, are production and not a prototype version, matching is really of no importance.

Lou

rastaman3d

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I've bought 2x x5675 awaiting the courier :) I've seen Vicromono solution that seems quite clean, but cause i don't have a heatgun like that i would go with the iron as MrAverige says, it could be more easy to control the temperature. Let's see....

Vicromono

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Washington
After my experience, I would highly suggest having your CPUs delidded by the service. I have had some fun doing it but had some room to play around and it was also for the learning experience. If you use your system for work or don't have a hundred dollars to burn on an experiment, just have it done. Tons of fun though when you get the start up chime and look at the figures for the first time.
Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 4.14.25 PM.png

Vicromono

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Washington
Going over what went wrong and what went right,

1. Cutting the lid in preparation.
A. Use a sharp new clean razor. The thin double edge kind look good for this. I chose single edge for my own safety.
B. Mark the depth of your cut on the blade to avoid penetrating too deep and damaging the small capacitors around the inside.
C. Gentle rocking cuts work the best. Trying to force the blade straight in with too much force may risk snapping the blade, cut to deeply or cause injury to yourself. Cleaning blood off of a CPU with alcohol really stings on an open wound.
D. After cutting the seal on all four sides, insert two standard width blades opposite from each other and two wider blades to overlap and create spring tension on the IHS. This is the key in forcing the IHS off at the moment the solder reaches melting temperature and releases. As I have learned, not enough pressure between the IHS and the CPU will allow the heat to exceed safe levels and will melt components on the PCB. After studying the failed chip under a magnification, I see on the underside that some capacitors "floated". How much is too much? Not sure, but 40/60 solder melts at around 370f.

2. Heating the IHS.
A. I only selected the heat gun option by convenience and an understanding that the separation will only occur at the proper temp if done correctly (I've done both). I have no experience with hot plates but the idea seems safer.
B. Keep the heat away from the CPU PCB as much as possible. The IHS is not the only thing soldered in place.
[doublepost=1458263748][/doublepost]
I've bought 2x x5675 awaiting the courier :) I've seen Vicromono solution that seems quite clean, but cause i don't have a heatgun like that i would go with the iron as MrAverige says, it could be more easy to control the temperature. Let's see....

I think box185 can help you out. If not directly, he can lead you on the right path. Good luck.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
I received a pair of 5670s yesterday and started the process of cutting and separation. The one thing I did not prepare for was when the solder reaches it's melting point and the blades between the CPU and IHS release the "stored energy" in the form of spring tension. Here is what happens...
[doublepost=1457811458][/doublepost]It worked... kind of. I need one more CPU now so it will be a bigger gamble now to find one that may or may not match up with the single 5670 I currently have. One CPU functions perfectly and one does not. As I have asked from before, How do I test a cpu without a test fixture? Will a 5670 run in a 5.1 single CPU tray? That is the only way for me personally to test. So, if anyone wants a DOA Xeon x5670 to play with, it's all yours. Does anyone know how vulnerable these CPUs are to pairing. I don't know what tolerance levels need to be for them to function as a pair. Learning what happens has been really fun. It only took one wrong way to find the right way (In your face Edison!). I will use painters masking tape to support the blades and hold things in place next time so the CPU can be "flicked" downward from the IHS as soon as the solder releases it's bond. The single edge razors are nearly the perfect width to cut under. The longer blades are from a wall paper removal tool and supplied a perfect amount of tension and support. With all the blades in place, they also serve as a heat shield from the gun. With all of this in place, The proper temperature does not need to be known because the IHS is released at the exact time of solder melt. It will always bug me though as to what and when the problem occurred with the first CPU. Thanks to Box185 for the help.

Here is another way so that the cpu/die doesn't fall. Instead it's the IHS which does. Not sure what this is worth though. Never tried myself.

or

Last edited:

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
I have a question about testing lidded CPUs prior delidding.

Is there a way to test lidded CPUs on my Mac Pro 2009 without the need of washers and cutting the fan connectors? I just want to make sure the CPUs are not faulty before I decapitate them.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
You don't need washers at all. For most people it's better to use them but it isn't conditio sine qua non. If you know what you're doing ofc.
You can boot the machine up without cutting fan connectors (heatsinks are required tho). Other fans will run at full and will cool CPUs enough at idle. I wouldn't stress them much.

Reactions: polanskiman

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
You don't need washers at all. For most people it's better to use them but it isn't conditio sine qua non. If you know what you're doing ofc.
You can boot the machine up without cutting fan connectors (heatsinks are required tho). Other fans will run at full and will cool CPUs enough at idle. I wouldn't stress them much.
So basically popping the cpu in and dropping the HS without screwing it would be enough to make the cpu run?

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Without screwing the heatsinks CPUs won't work but without washers and cutting fan connectors they will.

Not sure if I was clear. I am not going to go down the road of permanently installing lidded CPUs with what it implies (cutting connectors, adding thermal pads etc). All I want to do is test the CPUs I received prior delidding them. The point is to make sure the CPUs are in good working order. If I delid them and then they don't work I wont be able to send them back to the seller.

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Perhaps my english is not good enough.

I think it's the other way around ;). English is not my primary language. Let me see if I understand. If I put the lidded CPUs in, put on the heatsinks and lightly screw them, will the Mac Pro boot, at least for testing the CPUs?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I think it's the other way around ;). English is not my primary language. Let me see if I understand. If I put the lidded CPUs in, put on the heatsinks and lightly screw them, will the Mac Pro boot, at least for testing the CPUs?

Yes, you can, just don't stress the CPU and don't over tighten the heatsink.

The risk is if you over tighten the heatsink, you may damage the socket.

For just boot test (heat sink is cold), even you don't connect the fan should not be a problem.

Test one CPU at a time is also OK, only install CPU in to socket A, the machine will boot if the CPU is OK. Then you can swap it out and test another one. This is easier than test 2 CPU at the same time.

Reactions: polanskiman

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Yes, you can, just don't stress the CPU and don't over tighten the heatsink.

The risk is if you over tighten the heatsink, you may damage the socket.

For just boot test (heat sink is cold), even you don't connect the fan should not be a problem.

Test one CPU at a time is also OK, only install CPU in to socket A, the machine will boot if the CPU is OK. Then you can swap it out and test another one. This is easier than test 2 CPU at the same time.

Thank you. I will try that. I was initially tempted in acquiring a server board to test the CPUs but quickly realised that wouldn't be an option due to cost and other reasons. Thanks @h9826790 and @666sheep for you input.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Thanks for posting. I've never seen that tool before! And for us older folks, no, it's not an Oldsmobile or a doughnut:p

SIA-1949Oldsmobile_01_1500.jpg event-image-3359506.jpg

Lou

Vicromono

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Washington
I agree, that tool is for processors with thermal paste between the lid and the CPU.
[doublepost=1462765058][/doublepost]Yes, the safe way to separate a soldered Xeon chip is to bring the IHS to the solder melting point and remove it as soon as possible to keep from altering the rest of the pcb. I live in the Portland area and am fortunate enough to know "a guy" involved in Intel R&D. "Xeon chips can take a !@#$$ load of heat" as he put it. The problem is the rest of the board is attached with the same solder as the IHS. As box185 has so kindly shared with us. If you do not feel comfortable melting the soldered IHS off of an Intel Xeon CPU, pay the relatively small fee and have him do it.
[doublepost=1462766084][/doublepost]It seems that the Mac Pro well has dried up. I haven't seen one for sale for a good price in months. I check twice a day. If you have a 4.1 or 5.1, hold on too it.
^^^^Thanks for posting. I've never seen that tool before! And for us older folks, no, it's not an Oldsmobile or a doughnut:p

View attachment 626267 View attachment 626268

Lou
BTW Lou, I'm a Corvair guy myself. Me and old blue with my mac/vair buddies' "pumpkin" @ PIR weekly cruise-in. Maybe I should make a tool and call it a Corsa... Or Ralph! Anyone old enough to get it?
IMG_0329.jpg

Zaithe

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2016
I have a mid 2012 dual cpu and want to upgrade it to 2x x5690's SLBVX 3.46 ghz each and was wondering if deliding is necessary?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.