Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I have a mid 2012 dual cpu and want to upgrade it to 2x x5690's SLBVX 3.46 ghz each and was wondering if deliding is necessary?

In a word - NO! The only cMP that came with CPUs with no lids was the dual CPU 4,1 (2009) the Single CPU 4,1 (2009) came with lidded CPUs as well as the 5,1 (2010 & 2012).

Lou

Zaithe

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2016
Ok thanks, why did they delid them in the first place? Sounds like the difference in temp is very small.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^^I really have no frapping idea. But I'd luv to ask the engineer who came up with it. I'm just glad they reversed themselves with the 5,1 cMP. I have replaced the CPUs in mine twice now.

Lou

pdafan

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
I have dual X5675s with the lids on. I took my time, laid everything out and did it very methodically, and I didn't have to cut fan connectors or anything. No washers, and temps are better than they were with the OEM CPUS, although that can be due to more efficient paste.

I can't speak for everyone, but if you take your time, test one processor at a time after install, and use the right tools, and a bit of common sense, you can get it installed, with no modifications to the connector.

Only thing different on mine are 5MM thermal pads that provide better contact and thus more security for me. As matter of fact my brother ion law and I did it at the same time and his also is the same way. YMMV

EDIT: Actually now I remember I did mine twice because the first time I used thermal pads that weren't as good as the ones I have now. They were not as dense as the silicone one I replaced it with. So yea, 2 times with 2 processors each time.

I just did what Daze513 said and it went quite smoothly but only on my 2nd attempt.

No delidding - use the CPU as is
No cutting of tabs from the fan connector (no detachment from the heatsink).
No washer
Use a 5mm thick thermal paste

The first attempt was a flop because the fan connector did not make contact to the fan power socket on the board.
This is because I left black plastic square that encases the original delidded CPU on. The legs that stick out from the plastic square creates the gap (increased height on top of the 2mm lid thickness) and thus prevent the fan connector from making contact with the power socket on the board.

On my 2nd attempt, the black plastic square was removed. I tightened the heatsink by feel (of tightness) as I could not exactly count the number of turns when I loosened the heatsink earlier (there is no click sound!).
I followed the 1/4 turn rule as advised by others. It turned out for me that both CPU and RAM were detected smoothly.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I have a mid 2012 dual cpu and want to upgrade it to 2x x5690's SLBVX 3.46 ghz each and was wondering if deliding is necessary?
De-lidding is only necessary on 2009 Mac Pro 4,1. A 2012 Mac Pro must be a 5,1.

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
I saw the link for this de-lidding Youtube video on Netkas, gives a really good detailed description (not that I've tried it yet!) especially for the 2009:

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010

Post Mac Pro 2009 models have lidded CPUs. Pop up your heatsink and you'll have confirmation.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Post Mac Pro 2009 models have lidded CPUs. Pop up your heatsink and you'll have confirmation.

De-lidding is only necessary on 2009 Mac Pro 4,1. A 2012 Mac Pro must be a 5,1.

In a word - NO! The only cMP that came with CPUs with no lids was the dual CPU 4,1 (2009) the Single CPU 4,1 (2009) came with lidded CPUs as well as the 5,1 (2010 & 2012).

How many people does it take to answer the same question? As many as it takes to change a light bulb?

Lou

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Your answer is wrong. See my post #51 above yours.

Lou
To be equally pedantic my answer is correct but incomplete so let me complete it & provide information rather than merely scoring points. Only 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 DUAL CPU systems need delidding. Single CPU systems do not need delidding.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Aw I think that's what I posted:eek: So the purpose of your post, other than scoring points was
553400-002def3b9d28624db2e2d219a2134f39.jpg

And exactly what was the additional Information you provided
553401-158a051ae398c276b2911950a26e004c.jpg

Lou

SolidCake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2016
I recommend you delid the CPU for the Mac Pro 4,1. If you leave the lid on there will be a small heir difference, about 2mm. This can be compensated by adding o-rings and adding a thicker layer of thermal padding. This, however, is no guarantee that the CPU fans will mount properly. You might get a situation where the fans will be on constant full blast and you need a piece of extra software to slof the fans down and manage them from there.

As for the method of delidding, that is up to you. I personally delidded 2 Xeon X5690's with nothing but a vice.

Reactions: ActionableMango

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
Interesting vice method, at least you don't risk cutting the capacitors like with the razor and heat method.

tux101

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
Brooklyn NY
Hi all, I know this might strictly be the right thread...but I'm hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction.

I have a MacPro 4,1 which I have upgraded to 5,1 (I believe successfully, it shows 5,1 in the system profiler.) I bought two x5680s on ebay, and tested them in a friends PC. Both worked. I then very carefully delidded them with a depth marked razor, and gentle use of heatgun. No cut caps, no overheated die.

However, when I put them in my CPU tray, I get no post. No boing, nothing. Machine turns on with power button, HDs spin up, DVD drive initializes...no error lights on CPU tray...but no boot.

I have swapped CPUs between slots, I have tried CPUs one at a time in A, I tried another x5680 that I have which has clearly cut caps, and it causes red error lights on the tray. I put my original quad 2.26s back in, and it boots right up.

What should I try, or who/where should I ask of assistance?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi all, I know this might strictly be the right thread...but I'm hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction.

I have a MacPro 4,1 which I have upgraded to 5,1 (I believe successfully, it shows 5,1 in the system profiler.) I bought two x5680s on ebay, and tested them in a friends PC. Both worked. I then very carefully delidded them with a depth marked razor, and gentle use of heatgun. No cut caps, no overheated die.

However, when I put them in my CPU tray, I get no post. No boing, nothing. Machine turns on with power button, HDs spin up, DVD drive initializes...no error lights on CPU tray...but no boot.

I have swapped CPUs between slots, I have tried CPUs one at a time in A, I tried another x5680 that I have which has clearly cut caps, and it causes red error lights on the tray. I put my original quad 2.26s back in, and it boots right up.

What should I try, or who/where should I ask of assistance?

At least test them one by one, the computer can boot with only CPU A installed (at max fan speed)

tux101

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
Brooklyn NY
As I indicated in OP, I have tried them one at a time in CPU A slot. Same behavior. Fans don't go to full speed either.

Also, delidding wasn't.....tricky...in any way. I think moving the fan connector, adding spacers and precision tightening a CPU with an IHS is much more tricky. I don't believe I have killed either/both CPUs, because when I test with a known dead x5680, it behaves much differently. Error lights, fans at full speed etc.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
As I indicated in OP, I have tried them one at a time in CPU A slot. Same behavior. Fans don't go to full speed either.

Also, delidding wasn't.....tricky...in any way. I think moving the fan connector, adding spacers and precision tightening a CPU with an IHS is much more tricky. I don't believe I have killed either/both CPUs, because when I test with a known dead x5680, it behaves much differently. Error lights, fans at full speed etc.

Sorry, I missed that part. May be you can go to your's friends home and test the CPU again. I assume put some thermal paste between the lid and the CPU, it should be good enough to fit in a normal PC for checking if the CPU still work properly, no need to stress it if you worry about the cooling.

tux101

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
Brooklyn NY
Oh, good thought with just setting the lid back on with thermal paste. I hadn't re-tested yet as I knew my friends PC heatsink wouldn't make contact without the lid.

I still really can't believe that the CPUs would be dead....since a known dead CPU behaves much differently, (lights on the tray and on the diagnostic LEDs up front.) With these CPUs...it just behaves like it can't talk to them. I'm wondering if somehow my 4,1->5,1 firmware update didn't work...even though it claims 5,1 in profiler....

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Oh, good thought with just setting the lid back on with thermal paste. I hadn't re-tested yet as I knew my friends PC heatsink wouldn't make contact without the lid.

I still really can't believe that the CPUs would be dead....since a known dead CPU behaves much differently, (lights on the tray and on the diagnostic LEDs up front.) With these CPUs...it just behaves like it can't talk to them. I'm wondering if somehow my 4,1->5,1 firmware update didn't work...even though it claims 5,1 in profiler....

If the system info said it's a 5,1, the firmware upgrade should be success. And the system info should also shows

Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03

Anyway, a damaged CPU may act differently than a known dead CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.