Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Finally, a good YouTube review on both the 8 GB memory and the 16 GB memory. Bottom line do not waste your money on the 16 GB.

Also watched this comparison first thing when it came out, but was bit disappointed that they didn't test things that would really stress the memory - like seeing where's the limit when apps stop staying "live" in the background, or where's the threshold when Safari tabs start to reload.

That being said, I wonder why Lightroom wouldn't be faster on 16GB vs 8GB iPad. Could it be that Adobe hasn't applied for app developer entitlement to use max memory for their iPad app?

Btw. is there any memory monitoring apps for iPad to see how much individual apps are using RAM? I guess there isn't?

Reactions: Delivered

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
This guy tested Chrome, Firefox and edge with 10 tabs open than 20 tabs open than 60 tabs open than tabs open with background apps running.

And surprise yes 10 tabs open takes up 1GB of RAM well 60 tabs open take up almost 4GB of RAM.

And the edge browser use least about of RAM. With edge it took 1.4 GB of RM for 20 tabs open.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Apple is great at building out their products to have aspirational versions that on paper have a one or two distinctly better specifications (like more ram), but in reality don’t necessarily offer a drastically different user experience than their base or mid-level models. Of course there are some situations where the additional ram, or CPU/GPU cores, will make a difference that someone will appreciate and notice. But if 8GB of ram were really a limiting issue that was going to effect a lot of users, Apple would have made upgrading be possible on all models, not just the top tier versions. They don’t do that, which suggests to me that it’s a feature on paper more than practice.

Reactions: Originalblez

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This guy tested Chrome, Firefox and edge with 10 tabs open than 20 tabs open than 60 tabs open than tabs open with background apps running.

And surprise yes 10 tabs open takes up 1GB of RAM well 60 tabs open take up almost 4GB of RAM.

And the edge browser use least about of RAM. With edge it took 1.4 GB of RM for 20 tabs open.

Honestly, those numbers seem low to me. I regularly see Firefox or Chrome using 4GB with less than 10 tabs.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The 11" M4 uses a TLC Toshiba storage, tlc_3d_g5_2p_512.
I see from your sig it's a 1 TB. Thanks for confirming TLC. So that 1 TB QLC theory is out the window. Frankly I'm not surprised though. It didn't really make sense that they would use TLC in the low end models and QLC in the high end models.

Reactions: Populus

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I see from your sig it's a 1 TB. Thanks for confirming TLC. So that 1 TB QLC theory is out the window. Frankly I'm not surprised though. It didn't really make sense that they would use TLC in the low end models and QLC in the high end models.
Yeah, I realized I didn't put the 1TB in the post. Edited to be correct. Still wondering why the write speeds are bleh compared to the 512 and 2TB.

nappes

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Still wondering why the write speeds are bleh compared to the 512 and 2TB.
Any guesses? It’s not just the sequential write speed. Jazz Disc is showing slower read/write iops and the 4k read and write. And interestingly the 13” 1TB doesn’t have as slow sequential write as 11, but still is slower than 512 and 2TB

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Any guesses? It’s not just the sequential write speed. Jazz Disc is showing slower read/write iops and the 4k read and write. And interestingly the 13” 1TB doesn’t have as slow sequential write as 11, but still is slower than 512 and 2TB
My 1TB M1 11" has a write speed better than the my 11" M4 lol. 2048MB/s. The M1 RND4K is 36.6 read, 27.94 write. M4 is 40.25 read, and 40.54 write.

M1 IOPS - 8480 read, 5773 write.
M4 IOPS - 10304 read, 7794 write.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
See my thread here for some real world results, after testing the 1TB model I picked up today, vs the 25gb model I picked up at launch (both 11”)

Originalblez

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
The rational part of my brain says, 8GB is fine, it’s not the problem with the iPad Pro. The anxious part says, what if new AI edge features need the bigger RAM allocation to work well.

I sided with rational me. As others have said, Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to release a pro line without highlighting memory as a feature-divide … iPad Pro and iPad Pro AI.

Apple doesn’t even mention the RAM divide on the purchase page.

Reactions: Surfer13134

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The rational part of my brain says, 8GB is fine, it’s not the problem with the iPad Pro. The anxious part says, what if new AI edge features need the bigger RAM allocation to work well.

I sided with rational me. As others have said, Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to release a pro line without highlighting memory as a feature-divide … iPad Pro and iPad Pro AI.

Apple doesn’t even mention the RAM divide on the purchase page.
I'm waiting for WWDC anyway before purchasing, indirectly. The education promotion doesn't start until WWDC or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.