Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
Look out, tough guy here. Are you making inappropriate or inaccurate statements in your lectures? More over, if someone asked for consent to record first, would you then allow it? Taking such a quick hard line stance reeks of either a complete lack of self confidence in your presentations or your inability to be professional consistently perhaps.

I just had a teacher that didn't allow any video, or audio recording in his class, some teachers do not allow it for whatever reason. I do think most teachers are accepting it but a problem I had with my school is that they're banning the use of cell phones in class due to students texting in class.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I just had a teacher that didn't allow any video, or audio recording in his class, some teachers do not allow it for whatever reason. I do think most teachers are accepting it but a problem I had with my school is that they're banning the use of cell phones in class due to students texting in class.

It sounds like the school's own rules and procedures apply - Google "Am I allowed to record a college lecture?".

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Sorry. I was comparing the lowest cost model as a starting point. In any case if note taking is my primary purpose, there's no way I'm paying $1000+ when a 16 gig model would be sufficient. I'd take the savings and invest it in a good notebook.
Lots of folks here like to be VERY particular when it comes to pricing of such things :confused:

Seemed pretty obvious when you mentioned drop box removing the need for lots of storage for you.

But as others have pointed out, it depends on what you are studying. If you were a math/comp sci student, the IPP would be totally incompatible. Working with a large number of files? Hahahahha, no way with iOS, let alone the IPP.

If you are in in Apple's thin iOS wheelhouse, you are good. Otherwise, iOS is not really an option to be self sufficient.

Last edited:

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I think it really depends on your major and if this is going to work or not. I was an IT major and no way could I have ditched a computer completely for an IPP. I could definitely have used it for note taking in all of my classes and for textbooks, but as far as replacing a computer it would not have worked unless I wanted to spend all of my time in a computer lab on campus.

Had this came out 4 years ago when I was still in college I would have definitely thought about picking it up vs carrying around a 50lb book bag full of giant books and a laptop for note taking. :eek:

Reactions: Ghost31

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
nice review. im also a college student, studying to get a BFA in illustration. i love my ipad pro and apple pencil for notes and ditching the textbooks. but unfortunately, for my art classes its falls incredibly short. i cant run any of the software i need as a professional. Its a good sketchbook, and i like it for plein air painting, but honestly real media is tons better than digital for live painting. but for all my general ed classes the ipad rocks! i would also recommend it for college students. I do still write papers on a laptop though. its just easier for me.

Last edited:

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
An iPad for note taking is a distracting waste of time. Stick to paper and pen like how people have always done it as if I caught you recording me in a meeting then you'd get thrown out.
This is not true at all and probably one of the stupidest things I've heard.

By meeting's I'm going to assume you mean lectures or seminars or even labs.

In fact, I've had teachers strongly recommend that we record his lecture because he/she goes through the material so quick that its impossible to write down everything and understand.

Also, each teacher give out a syllabus which will have info about what you can/cannot do. Each university actually has a policy about this as well.

Also, if you need extra things to facilitate learning because of whatever reason (notetaker, recording lesson, digital access, etc.) you will not get kicked out for wanting to learn but needing stuff to help.
[doublepost=1457306248][/doublepost]
I just felt like responding to this with some thoughts,

1. I would think that a majority of majors still revolve around lectures and note-taking and the like, and I'm not sure how many require photoshop or software development, short of your own as far as the dev work goes... which makes sense where the iPP may not be the right fit. In my opinion, for whatever little that's really worth, I'd think it's a fantastic alternative in many instances to having a full computer. Having one device w/your books on it and notes and so on that's easily portable would've been great for me when I was in school as an accounting/finance major.

2. I don't think I totally understand this point. I would think the portability makes sense no matter where you are (see first point and the convergence of books and notes into one place). I'd expect that desktops are a dying breed on campuses everywhere as well - are you just talking about that combo not making sense vs. a laptop? As for laptops being cheap, the saying goes, you get what you pay for - and I've always found that to be true with computers. The OS may be good, but crappy hardware is crappy hardware - I'd rather have an iPad than a $500 laptop in a lot of instances personally (but that's just me). Short of a Chromebook, I think it's worth getting a good system that may cost more.

3. This problem would be just as significant for any laptop, large or small, they might not be as top heavy, but an insecure table isn't really going to help either of them. Additionally, and I think it was probably mentioned by somebody else, I would expect to see the iPP being used in note-taking mode in these situations, which would not be unlike simply having a notebook and writing in that - which would be a massive advantage to a laptop. I've never been able to take notes on a computer faster than I could write them by hand - so this would be ideal for me.

4. Digital textbooks - you have a good point there. They're a ripoff, just like physical books, except you can't avoid that by buying used at this point... that is a big problem, books are ridiculously priced and just a good way to take advantage of a captive audience with no good alternative. I would think (though I'm not in school anymore) that there are more lenient policies with regard to electronics than there were when I was in college. Laptops even then were quite plentiful, and aside from tests and quizzes and such - I don't know why they'd be limited in use. Distractions are certainly a problem, though in my case I spent the classes doing crosswords or sudoku so I don't think there'd have been an appreciable difference for me.

1. I guess that's fair and sort of my own bias. School I go to is heavily engineering and business related (60% majors). I guess what I'm saying its even the iPP can do much more things than a regular iPad Air/Mini, its still an iPad. I mentioned this, but a lot of people use iPads even in engineering/business. In fact, I have a friend who uses an iPad 4 another who uses a Surface Pro. Last year, they gave out new iPads to all business students who wanted them (for school purposes obviously until graduation).

But I can guarantee zero of those majors use just an iPad. You simply won't make it or its too much of hassle to go to the library/computer lab every time you need to take a quiz/do a project/etc because there's a ton of software that school/major specifically designed and won't run on iOS.

2. I'm saying that unless you have the luxury of commuting to school, you most likely won't own/have your desktop PC with you. OP mentioned that he/she could just use their desktop at home when if they needed. I'm saying for a lot of students, their laptops is their home PC because it can do anything a PC can (Office, Netflix, League of Legends, etc.)

I think your exaggerating a bit when you say hardware is crap. I know my MBA is pretty damn good. All ultrabooks have amazing specs now. If your using a 5 year old Toshiba laptop (not an ultrabook) then yes, its going to be crap.

As you said, you rather pay a little extra to get more which somewhat is the point I was making. I had to choose now, I would pay a little more and get a MacBook rather than an iPad Pro (better specs, more options, etc.) as you mentioned.

3. I still think a laptop would offer more comfortable alternative positions to use than the iPad. Take for example the small foldable lectures desks I mentioned. I never used them because they felt terrible so I just had my MBA on my lap. You could fit the size of Mini fine but I would be scared to have an iPP with smart keyboard on that or on my lap.

I'm actually the opposite. I almost never study off handbook notes. Say I'm in a lecture and teacher is going over something. Sometimes I'll be multitasking and searching up or highlighting stuff I may be interested/want to know more about. Can't imagine doing that on an iPad (a large portion has to do with Safari on iPad displaying mobile sites and taking longer to load for whatever reason).

4. Except for physical books you can keep it if you like, sell it back to school/online/to a friend, etc. For digital books, its impossible for some classes and highly frustrating in others (ends up you don't using that much, there's no way I can return/sell a eBook early and at least get some money back). Just rented a book this semester on Amazon for $12 for a semester. It costs $300 for both physical new and eBooks.

Laptops aren't limited in use. It just depends on what classes you take. I have classes where use of computers with special software is required. In some classes, teachers provide the all notes and don't want the class to be on their laptops taking bad notes/dicking around. Seems like a reasonable trade off. Follow along in class and write down a couple things/listen to teacher instead of scrambling to write a bunch of notes/chat with friends on Facebook.

Some teachers are super old school and don't like them. In that case, instead of typing, I write them, take a screenshot on my iPhone and AirDrop it to my Mac. Super easy, super clear (Folder/File system helps a lot which iOS does not have).

----

When I read posts like this, it makes me super sad to see how educations is pretty much antiquated as hell in the US. I would change schools/majors to have to only own an iPP and be able everything with zero compromises (not really but it would be cool for like a day).

Its just not possible for many people.
[doublepost=1457306433][/doublepost]
I think it really depends on your major and if this is going to work or not. I was an IT major and no way could I have ditched a computer completely for an IPP. I could definitely have used it for note taking in all of my classes and for textbooks, but as far as replacing a computer it would not have worked unless I wanted to spend all of my time in a computer lab on campus.

Had this came out 4 years ago when I was still in college I would have definitely thought about picking it up vs carrying around a 50lb book bag full of giant books and a laptop for note taking. :eek:
CS major here.

Can confirm computer labs are horrible on campus.

1. Dirty as hell because everyone is touching them.

2. Have to save work on USB/gmail yourself/etc.

3. Often tons of people there scrambling to print because they procrastinated way to much.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
nice review. im also a college student, studying to get a BFA in illustration. i love my ipad for notes and ditching the textbooks. but unfortunately, for my art classes its falls incredibly short. i cant run any of the software i need as a professional. Its a good sketchbook, and i like it for plein air painting, but honestly real media is tons better than digital for live painting. but for all my general ed classes the ipad rocks! i would also recommend it for college students. I do still write papers on a laptop though. its just easier for me.

You weren't clear... do you have an iPad _Pro_?

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
It's good to see people give their opinions on why the iPad Pro works or doesn't work for them. It gives a ton of students a general idea of what fits for them. :)

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I am so glad that you wrote this so I didn't have to. So much of this resonated with me. I never thought I would go digital, but now 100% of my notes are taken with the Pro, and I take more notes than ever. It can't quite replace my 15" MBPr yet, but it always comes with me because it's my favorite device to use. For productivity, it isn't quite on a laptop's level yet, but it has come leaps and bounds with split-screen multitasking and the new accessories.

Reactions: friedmud

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
funny how pages still cant do equations on year 2016. why are apple apps always so... incapable doing something else than just the most basic thing? lucky we have other apps that can do other things too, but... eh, apple cmon! 2016!

i would have used a tablet instead of a laptop or paper at the university if they had existed then. i was studying sciences and most of the time writing symbols, sketches, equations, reaction mechanisms etc. which would be quite time consuming with a laptop so i used a paper only.

today i would take a tablet with me to a lecture. no other possibilities... but then... making presentations, writing lab experiment reports, thesis, calculations and so on... no, not going to happen with a tablet. need a real computer.

digi-books are often even more pricier than printed one. and that is odd... not to mention that you cant buy a second hand or sell them either.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England

In fact, I've had teachers strongly recommend that we record his lecture because he/she goes through the material so quick that its impossible to write down everything and understand.

Also, each teacher give out a syllabus which will have info about what you can/cannot do. Each university actually has a policy about this as well.

Also, if you need extra things to facilitate learning because of whatever reason (notetaker, recording lesson, digital access, etc.) you will not get kicked out for wanting to learn but needing stuff to help.
[doublepost=1457306248][/doublepost]

1. I guess that's fair and sort of my own bias. School I go to is heavily engineering and business related (60% majors). I guess what I'm saying its even the iPP can do much more things than a regular iPad Air/Mini, its still an iPad. I mentioned this, but a lot of people use iPads even in engineering/business. In fact, I have a friend who uses an iPad 4 another who uses a Surface Pro. Last year, they gave out new iPads to all business students who wanted them (for school purposes obviously until graduation).

But I can guarantee zero of those majors use just an iPad. You simply won't make it or its too much of hassle to go to the library/computer lab every time you need to take a quiz/do a project/etc because there's a ton of software that school/major specifically designed and won't run on iOS.

2. I'm saying that unless you have the luxury of commuting to school, you most likely won't own/have your desktop PC with you. OP mentioned that he/she could just use their desktop at home when if they needed. I'm saying for a lot of students, their laptops is their home PC because it can do anything a PC can (Office, Netflix, League of Legends, etc.)

I think your exaggerating a bit when you say hardware is crap. I know my MBA is pretty damn good. All ultrabooks have amazing specs now. If your using a 5 year old Toshiba laptop (not an ultrabook) then yes, its going to be crap.

As you said, you rather pay a little extra to get more which somewhat is the point I was making. I had to choose now, I would pay a little more and get a MacBook rather than an iPad Pro (better specs, more options, etc.) as you mentioned.

3. I still think a laptop would offer more comfortable alternative positions to use than the iPad. Take for example the small foldable lectures desks I mentioned. I never used them because they felt terrible so I just had my MBA on my lap. You could fit the size of Mini fine but I would be scared to have an iPP with smart keyboard on that or on my lap.

I'm actually the opposite. I almost never study off handbook notes. Say I'm in a lecture and teacher is going over something. Sometimes I'll be multitasking and searching up or highlighting stuff I may be interested/want to know more about. Can't imagine doing that on an iPad (a large portion has to do with Safari on iPad displaying mobile sites and taking longer to load for whatever reason).

4. Except for physical books you can keep it if you like, sell it back to school/online/to a friend, etc. For digital books, its impossible for some classes and highly frustrating in others (ends up you don't using that much, there's no way I can return/sell a eBook early and at least get some money back). Just rented a book this semester on Amazon for $12 for a semester. It costs $300 for both physical new and eBooks.

Laptops aren't limited in use. It just depends on what classes you take. I have classes where use of computers with special software is required. In some classes, teachers provide the all notes and don't want the class to be on their laptops taking bad notes/dicking around. Seems like a reasonable trade off. Follow along in class and write down a couple things/listen to teacher instead of scrambling to write a bunch of notes/chat with friends on Facebook.

Some teachers are super old school and don't like them. In that case, instead of typing, I write them, take a screenshot on my iPhone and AirDrop it to my Mac. Super easy, super clear (Folder/File system helps a lot which iOS does not have).

----

When I read posts like this, it makes me super sad to see how educations is pretty much antiquated as hell in the US. I would change schools/majors to have to only own an iPP and be able everything with zero compromises (not really but it would be cool for like a day).

Its just not possible for many people.
[doublepost=1457306433][/doublepost]
CS major here.

Can confirm computer labs are horrible on campus.

1. Dirty as hell because everyone is touching them.

2. Have to save work on USB/gmail yourself/etc.

3. Often tons of people there scrambling to print because they procrastinated way to much.

1. I would say that it'd be unlikely to be able to just use an iPad in a business program, I know that I certainly couldn't get away with just using Excel for iOS (I'll say YET) as it can't do everything at this point and there are some things that you still just have to have a mouse to do. So I agree, it wouldn't be feasible to have just an iPad at this point - though I do think that it would suffice for the great majority of classroom needs, except in certain instances.

2. I personally wouldn't choose a desktop at this point, were I of a college age (though I would buy a 5k iMac right now), it'd have to be a laptop. As far as crappy hardware - that is what I was referring to earlier. I think it's worth buying an ultrabook or a MacBook rather than something cheap because it often won't last... but if I were limited in that price range, I might consider the iPad over the similarly-priced laptop as I think the quality is of a higher level.

3. I think we are just different (as most of us are) on this. I prefer hand-writing notes in those settings over typing, so the desks would be a little bit easier to work with for me. I also am not one to put the laptop in my actual lap unless I can also kick my feet up - but I will at that point! Might not work in class so well, however. I think with the Pencil and the ability to annotate in Office, if you get the prof's powerpoint before class - that could actually be really useful... but to each his or her own of course.

4. That's what I meant with books too - you can buy/sell used and get some money back and not spend as much and so on. That's just not possible w/digital at this point, which I think is a problem. In my mind's eye - being able to load your tablet up with all your books for the semester and being able to write all over them digitally just as you would physically would just be perfect... but we aren't there yet, surprisingly so in some ways.

I'd say a lot of ground has been made up at this point, to where an iPad could suffice for a good number of majors - but we're still not there for every one

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA

Firstly, I can't take you seriously with a response containing "stupidest ideas". You always lose any debate or discussion with such a response. Learn from that.

Secondly, if you're playing about with your electronic gadget in class then you're not listening. You might think you are but you're not. Electronic gadgets are a distraction and should be banned from lecture halls. You also distract the rest of the class with them. As for recording, no you can't.

Reactions: Bakkki

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Your usage scenario is basically what I was hoping the original iPad was made for. I guess it is finally come to fruition.

For me, I think the iPad Air 3 (Pro mini? Pro Air?) is what I'm looking for size wise. Ideally I would prefer the iPad mini form factor, but I don't think Apple would trickle the pencil support that quickly.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
As for recording, no you can't.

Too bad, recording is one of the best tools for a student who's taking multiple subjects and wants to be good at them.
[doublepost=1457370234][/doublepost]
Electronic gadgets are a distraction

gadgets? It's the XXI century, they're tools used by everyone. If students want to be distracted, they will be distracted. There is no way around it. We're talking about college kids, it's time that their teacher teaches them responsibility.

Doc C

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013

I find this interesting, as the high school my older kids attend seems to just assume that everyone has a smartphone at this point. They will actually point the kids to relevant apps, and several of the teachers use online resources heavily. All of my kids have actually presented using their phones or iPads, using any of MS, Apple or Google presentation programs.

In regards to recording, I recall that in med school, we actually took turns typing up the recorded notes from each class (the lecturers would actually stop to allow the tape to be turned....yes, I'm that old....) I don't recall any of them ever objecting to recording. I am not sure, but I believe that many of my undergrad profs also allowed recording (I never really worried about it because most were so "scripted" that a set of notes from five years earlier seemed to track the lecture almost perfectly, until someone asked a question...)

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Firstly, I can't take you seriously with a response containing "stupidest ideas". You always lose any debate or discussion with such a response. Learn from that.

Secondly, if you're playing about with your electronic gadget in class then you're not listening. You might think you are but you're not. Electronic gadgets are a distraction and should be banned from lecture halls. You also distract the rest of the class with them. As for recording, no you can't.

Something tells me that you never actually been to college....

LMAO. Gets into a debate.

Opening: No you can't.

Facts: No you can't.

Rebuttal: No you can't.

No you can't, no you can't, no you can't...

You're making a fool out of yourself. Please stop.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I teach at a university. Students can record my lectures if they wish. I actually encourage use of tools like the IPP or surface pro where students can handwrite notes rather than typing - I am a big believer in the theory that handwriting uses a different part of the brain for learning than typing. The IPP and apple pencil would be a great improvement over typing and I would encourage it in my classes.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
I teach at a university. Students can record my lectures if they wish. I actually encourage use of tools like the IPP or surface pro where students can handwrite notes rather than typing - I am a big believer in the theory that handwriting uses a different part of the brain for learning than typing. The IPP and apple pencil would be a great improvement over typing and I would encourage it in my classes.

I started hand wrighting notes again, that and flash cards are IMHO the best tools for learning.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
What is your objection against recording? Back when I was in college, I had a classmate who liked to tape all his lectures. He always asked the professor for permission, and nobody ever said no.

You come to lectures to learn and take notes. You should see this as a learning period for your working life. In working life when your boss tells you to do something, you do it. It's not a discussion. Thus if your professor says No, then that's it.
[doublepost=1457408621][/doublepost]
Too bad, recording is one of the best tools for a student who's taking multiple subjects and wants to be good at them.
[doublepost=1457370234][/doublepost]

gadgets? It's the XXI century, they're tools used by everyone. If students want to be distracted, they will be distracted. There is no way around it. We're talking about college kids, it's time that their teacher teaches them responsibility.

The way to learn is to take notes. The act of organization and summary cements iknowledge in your brain. Taping a lecture is a poor substitute and encourages lazy behavior in students.

As I pointed out, gadgets are a distraction to others around them. I remember the first time I experienced this in the early 90s. Nothing has changed my view and it's worse nowadays as the Facebook generation are weak willed due to short attention span. You help them by encouraging responsible behavior.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014

I've interviewed a few college graduates and asked them to use a whiteboard and pen. Their communication ability in the written word is awful as you can't read their handwriting. I had one use texting abbreviations with illegible handwriting. Handwriting is a craft and mandatory if you want to work for me.

Reactions: Bakkki and mgipe

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I've used a combo of my MacBook Air (I got it shortly after starting back in college) and my iPad Air (upgraded from iPad 3 when it got way too slow) to take notes and do work. But then one teacher wanted us writing things down by hand, so he didn't allow iPads. Then in the fall it was the same thing in another class, so I haven't used Notability as much.

I really hate this. I knew if Notability had the ability to take hand-written notes it would be awesome. The problem using my finger was, well, it was my finger and writing math was hard at times. I mostly just used text. I should've spent more time scanning in my notes to Notability, but I work full time and do class half time so I just don't have ... time.

What I'd like to know is the iPad Pro 32GB a worthy upgrade for me. I'm halfway done with spring. I just have to do basically an internship/field camp-type thing in the summer (I'm in geology, and this will be playing with hydrogeology stuff) and then surficial geology and likely a GIS course (fancy computer software) in the fall. I write SLOPPY notes because I try to write so fast yet don't do cursive because I hate it. I can type with my thumbs quicker, using a keyboard at 80+ wpm like a boss. So would the iPad Pro be worth it for me now since my iPad Air doesn't have any issues?

Appreciate any advice you can give. All of my textbooks are digital via Amazon now because I'm just not going to drop that money on heavy textbooks that I barely crack, especially when I can always have them on my iPad and maybe actually read.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Yeah, I bought a MacBook Air back in 2012 for the expressed purpose to be a note taking, etextbook, word processing machine for college...so naturally the majority of my professors banned laptops in class o_O. It's really annoying to see professors behind the times with technology (and ignoring how convenient they are for students). Some don't care and actually have us looking stuff up on the internet in class while others pop a blood vessel if they see anything but paper, pen, and a physical textbook on your desk. Le sigh.

All that said, I switched from the MacBook to the IPP last month and I absolutely love it :D. The bigger screen makes such a difference with the experience, particularly when using split screen. I also think I just prefer the iPad interface over the MacBook's. While I do like how effortless writing with the pencil is, I still prefer to just type with the smart keyboard. Less hand fatigue and it's just faster. I do keep the pencil handy for jotting down quick notes, when I can't bust out the keyboard (or comfortably), and when I want to draw a diagram or something. I use Notability.

My main complaint is that I bought all my books on Kindle for the term and Kindle doesn't support split screen (WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!) :mad:. So that has been a headache. I've found shortcuts around it for accessing my notes/highlights but if Kindle hasn't gotten its act together by fall term then I'm going with iBooks instead. I have an e-ink Kindle which is why I prefer to buy with them since I have to read a lot of novels for classes :/

Anywho, yeah. I really love the IPP for school. I was going to hold out for the iPad Air 3 but can't see myself using the smaller screen now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.