Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Yes, Clasilla works, but there's a lot of stuff that it just absolutely can't do.

Exhibit A above-I needed to download software from Nikon's website, and returned an error of "no common communication protocol available."

Even 5 years ago, when MR was still running VBulletin and not Xenforo, that I could sit and have at least a decent experience posting and browsing on it with my 9600/200MP. VBulletin still more or less works okay in Classilla, whereas Xenforo is a complete and total disaster.

Several of us could legitimately use this, but I'll freely admit that I don't have the knowledge or skills to make it happen.

I can’t even connect to MR using Classilla anymore due to outdated TLS support.

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
As much as it would be nice for a new OS 9 browser, I doubt it will happen.
I personally avoid OS 9 like I avoid Windows. I only use it if I absolutely have to. My beige G3 runs Tiger, as does my Bondi iMac G3. I run OS X on everything possible. There isn't much of a point to use OS 9 unless there's a specific application I want to use.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Here’s a curveball for y’all. What about using Lynx or another terminal based text only browser? The http protocol competitor gopher protocol is still around and active. Both protocols were released in 1991, with http winning obviously. Gopher is text only but still operates similarly to http in a few ways.

I just wonder if any of you PPC folks use terminal browsers at all.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Here’s a curveball for y’all. What about using Lynx or another terminal based text only browser? The http protocol competitor gopher protocol is still around and active. Both protocols were released in 1991, with http winning obviously. Gopher is text only but still operates similarly to http in a few ways.

I use Links2 on a PowerBook with Debian. It’s nice for reading, but not much beyond that.

Reactions: z970

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
FWIW, after playing with it for a while today, I can confirm that in fact there is NOT a way to run a Nikon SCSI scanner using Nikon software in Classic mode.

There are OS X native programs that can do it, but I don't like any of them as well as I do the Nikon software(the Nikon software is clunky and difficult to use, but in my experience it produces much better results).

On a totally unrelated note, though, I've been struggling to get Nikon Scan 4-to run my Coolscan V and 8000-in Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro 5,1(this is a decently "hot" computer with dual hex 3.06s, 32gb RAM, and boots SL off a PCIe SSD scavenged from a Trash Can). For whatever reason, it would fall over and die, and even @LightBulbFun couldn't get it to work when he remoted in(even though he could get it to run on his own 5,1). I finally got it running as a plug in in Photoshop CS4...although that won't work in PS CS6.
[doublepost=1566180318][/doublepost]

Can't claim to have ever done it, although I'd be open to it even if it was just as a means to download things.

With that said, I'm not sure how one would use a terminal browser in OS 9.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It’s nice for reading
Isn’t that primarily what we do on the internet? ;)

Granted, modern websites are bloated with crap that doesn’t work well in terminal browsers.
[doublepost=1566180602][/doublepost]
With that said, I'm not sure how one would use a terminal browser in OS 9.
I’m not sure either since I don’t have a PPC, but it looks like Lynx is supported on OS 9.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_(web_browser)#Supported_platforms

Jordan XP

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2019
As much as it would be nice for a new OS 9 browser, I doubt it will happen.
I personally avoid OS 9 like I avoid Windows. I only use it if I absolutely have to. My beige G3 runs Tiger, as does my Bondi iMac G3. I run OS X on everything possible. There isn't much of a point to use OS 9 unless there's a specific application I want to use.

You can then use those apps in Classic environment.

Jordan XP

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2019
WHAT. DO. YOU. NOT. UNDERSTAND. ABOUT. THE. FACT. THAT. NOT. ALL. APPS. RUN. IN. THE. CLASSIC. ENVIRONMENT. CORRECTLY. IF. AT. ALL.

Are you adopting the philosophy of if you keep repeating something, that will make it true?

OK. I already know that. But MOST IF NOT ALL will run in it.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
OK. I already know that. But MOST IF NOT ALL will run in it.

How much experience do you have actually running programs in Classic?

How much experience do you have doing so on things like G3 and single processor G4 systems?

Also, you used the phrase "most if not all"-I've given you examples of programs that won't work. Once again, do you know a trick I don't? I'm legitimately curious to hear about it.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
I will never understand why some people swear so much by virtualization, they completely ignore all issues that come with it to push it further. Yes, virtualization can be easier and more convenient at times. But that doesn't negate the issues of software needing bare metal to properly do its thing, or run at acceptable speeds, which virtualization on consumer scale will not get you to.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I will never understand why some people swear so much by virtualization, they completely ignore all issues that come with it to push it further. Yes, virtualization can be easier and more convenient at times. But that doesn't negate the issues of software needing bare metal to properly do its thing, or run at acceptable speeds, which virtualization on consumer scale will not get you to.

VMWare is running pretty much all the time on my MBP, although I don't always have a VM booted and running since I don't want to take the resource and battery hit from it unless needed.

In any case, I have a handful of VMs including Windows XP, Windows 7, and SL Server. SL serves for the occasional PPC program just to check things out until I can get in front of a PPC computer or something running SL. Windows is for running...well...Windows native programs. Most of those are not very resource intensive. Often it's older games, which is fine with limited GPU resources in virtualization, or scientific instrument software that I use for off-line data processing. In the latter case, I could actually run SOME newer stuff directly since it connects via ethernet or USB, but I prefer to have dedicated data acquisition stations.

The situation isn't the same with Classic, where you're often doing stuff that's somewhat resource intensive, and a G3 or single G4 under OS X doesn't have a lot of headroom to give. Virtualization drags the whole computer down. Even lower spec dual G4s fall victim. The only computer where I've used Classic to any great extent is a G5 Quad, where you have lots of CPU overhead, plenty of memory to give up, and no route to run OS 9 natively. I've also run Microsoft VPC on that, which is a much less than satisfactory experiment.

As a side note, though, the Quad and pretty much all NWR Macs have caught me with one particular program that requires an ADB HASP. I need to get that set up on my 1ghz B&W G3, since it can be a bit of a pig of a program(Spartan, a computational chemistry program) and that's the newest computer that actually has an ADB port. The 1ghz G3 is sort of ideal(short of a 1.1ghz G3) since the program can't use Altivec and the fast Sonnet G4s require you to drop the FSB down to 66mhz even in a B&W.

Jordan XP

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2019
How much experience do you have actually running programs in Classic?

How much experience do you have doing so on things like G3 and single processor G4 systems?

Also, you used the phrase "most if not all"-I've given you examples of programs that won't work. Once again, do you know a trick I don't? I'm legitimately curious to hear about it.

Classic environment is pretty good.
Classic environment is good, except in Leopard!

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
You can then use those apps in Classic environment.
Not necessarily. Some 3D games don’t run well. Some do, others don’t. Classic mode is the only reason I have Tiger installed on Later G4’s. A couple of my daily’s don’t even have it, my 12” 1.5Ghz PowerBook and my G5 are leopard only machines. If really want a classic app I have another 30 macs that fit the bill (and era) better.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Not necessarily. Some 3D games don’t run well. Some do, others don’t.

Yep-a lot of games run terribly in Classic-even games that don't have a huge CPU overhead.

Fortunately, a lot of the ones that get REALLY demanding are carbon. With that said, I've had issues even with games like Sim City 2000, Sim Tower, and Civ II.
[doublepost=1566229264][/doublepost]
I know based on some people on the Internet. I don't have a PowerPC Mac.

So, what qualifies you to contradict those of who have actually run programs in Classic and say that they don't work?

I suspect that if you actually had some hands-on experience with PPC Macs, you'd understand what we're talking about.

"Some people on the internet" can be morons.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017

@Jordan XP , many people from the general public come here looking for help with specific things. So when you post uneducated recommendations and misinformation onto these pages, it leads to frustration and lowers the quality of the information that many people have worked hard to compile here.

Watch, listen, read, try, learn, explore and have fun figuring out how things work. Only then once you've got some experience can you make genuine recommendations to guide others.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I need JS for captcha, as I like to post on sites that require it:(
Ideally a terminal browser SHOULD be enough for all web browsing. JS was a mistake.
JS isn't all bad as it has enabled some neat and useful things. Dynamic refreshing and browser-based games come to mind, but the list of things that wouldn't be possible without JS is much larger than that.

Is JS overused on the modern web? Absolutely. But I wouldn't call it a mistake.
If you don't have a PowerPC Mac, why are you here? (Serious question, not trying to be rude.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.