Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Please take this with the humor it is intended to have, but for a long time people like me were terribly jealous of those that could wear AirPods, and we couldn't. I love the fit and comfort of the Pros, and it is somewhat funny that for some that can wear the originals they can't wear the Pros!

Same. I’m soooooooo happy with the new Pros. They immediately stay in my ears perfectly, no fussing! And super comfortable— I got them tonight and wore them for a two hour work call and then walking the dog, zero discomfort— I forget they are there. With the old ones, I could only wear them if I added third party covers to them, which was a pain to do every time. Otherwise, they would fall out, especially on the right side. It wouldn’t stay in for more than a few seconds.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm with ya. I've never liked ear tip headphones but given my love for gen1/2 Airpods, I figured why not give these a shot. Improved sound for sure, but I just don't like the feeling of them in my ears. The sensation of noise-canceling feels awkward. Transparency mode is cool but the sound is just a touch artificial. It actually makes the ventilation in my office sound louder then it is in person. Only after taking them out do I get a slight ache.

Also, I think this is just because they are new, but I think handling them and placing them in/out of the case feels awkward as well. I'm sure that would be overcome with time. Hard to compare them to something I've been using for close to three years.

I'm going to give the small cups a shot over the next few days, although they fail the Apple seal test. Right now I would say its a strong likelihood I'll be returning them. Regardless, I'm glad people like them and that more people will get to experience the amazing convenience and simplicity of Airpods.

Final note, one thing I definitely like better is the appearance in-ear. The short stems look a lot better. I'm hoping they'll find a way to shorten the stems in the next generation of the classic Airpods.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I went to the Apple Store today, tried them on, and hated them right away. The design is VERY different from the original Airpods. Thay are much bigger and the added silicon tip is as stupid as all the other companies that use this type of fitting - and it does not fit comfortably into my ears because it goes much deeper into the canal, and because of the weight, they just don't stay in place. I understand all the great technical and sound improvements Apple put into these Airpods Pro, but the comfort went down the drain. I won't buy this version. I'll continue using the Airpods 1,2 and wait until the designers come to their senses.
To say the silicon tip is stupid is quite a foolish statement, there is a reason why professional grade IEMs use silicon tips. Just saying.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I’ve tried others and for me no other silicone tipped headphones are near as comfortable as the AirPods Pro. Just like the OG AirPods there will be folks who will prefer the Pros. I’m in that group. For my ears, the new Pros win and it’s BECAUSE of the new silicone tips and how they fit. They feel so much more secure and have less sound loss.

nyc232

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Returning today, I tried but just so unpleasant to use for more than 15 minutes. Hopefully a redesigned version that is less-bulbous is released next year. I was lucky with gen 1/2 , but not the pros. Congrats to everyone that could enjoy this remarkable piece of tech!

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
The issue for me is the actual plastic “pod” itself, its much larger and presses strongly against the cartilage in my ear.
I'm experiencing this a bit too. Interestingly, the APP feels perfectly natural and comfortable when I first put them on, but after about 20-30 minutes I feel some definite irritation behind the hard plastic. Still on the fence as to whether or not this is a deal-killer, as the other contenders (Sony WF) also hurt a bit after a while (maybe not quite as much though... need to test a bit more).

Reactions: turbineseaplane

sswany

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2005
Same here. Love the functionality but the pod itself hurts my ear. Used them on a 3 hour flight and a bit too painful. Original Airpods fit great. Guess I’ll keep using the Bose QC35 for flights.

Reactions: Datsyuk

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Please take this with the humor it is intended to have, but for a long time people like me were terribly jealous of those that could wear AirPods, and we couldn't. I love the fit and comfort of the Pros, and it is somewhat funny that for some that can wear the originals they can't wear the Pros!
That was ME!!! I loved the sound and convenience of my original AP BUT could not stand the feeling that they were constantly getting loose. Ended up finding some silicone covers and that made them better but still had to push them back in. And while I can't get the "proper seal" to get really true noise cancellation, I am loving the better fit and sound of the AP Pros.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
The tech might be mostly the same but physically they are very different shapes and the rubber bobble ended headphones always gave me grief. I’m staying away from the Pros for both comfort and price issues.

Reactions: Statusnone88

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Has anyone tested the Airpod Pros while laying down? I find that I can comfortably go to bed with my Gen 2 and my guess is the giant bulbous nature of the pros would make it hard to lay down or sleep.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
This is true for all IEMs. All IEMs hurt no matter what people say. There is no exception. It’s simple physics. There’s nothing you can do about it. EarPods/AirPods are well engineered marvels. AirPods Pro are basically average IEMs in terms of design and aesthetics. They will hurt. But they’ll also sound better.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I slept with them in last night. No pain and they actually stayed in. Of course, they died at some point during the night. But still. I couldn’t do that with original Airpods or Powerbeats Pro.
[automerge]1572721291[/automerge]
This is true for all IEMs. All IEMs hurt no matter what people say. There is no exception. It’s simple physics. There’s nothing you can do about it. EarPods/AirPods are well engineered marvels. AirPods Pro are basically average IEMs in terms of design and aesthetics. They will hurt. But they’ll also sound better.
They don’t hurt everybody. I find them totally comfortable. My PBP hurt after a (long) while.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Sigh, I want to love these things so bad but they hurt and cause very obvious redness in my ears. I’ve tried all three tip sizes over the past two days with breaks in-between, still hurt.

How could gen 1 & 2 fit so comfortaby, sometimes even forgetting they were on.

What could be the major design difference that could be causing this?

Also, threads on reddit are starting to pop up with others having the same issue.

Thanks.

Honestly give it a bit more time. I had the same issues with the first gen AirPods. I honestly think it’s the plastic they use.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I went to the Apple Store today, tried them on, and hated them right away. The design is VERY different from the original Airpods. Thay are much bigger and the added silicon tip is as stupid as all the other companies that use this type of fitting - and it does not fit comfortably into my ears because it goes much deeper into the canal, and because of the weight, they just don't stay in place. I understand all the great technical and sound improvements Apple put into these Airpods Pro, but the comfort went down the drain. I won't buy this version. I'll continue using the Airpods 1,2 and wait until the designers come to their senses.

I honestly don’t notice they are even here and that’s a first with in ears.

Reactions: Lyn2012

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
The design difference is quite apparent - the Pros have an in-ear tip which rests in your canal, and will exert some pressure. The original two generations of AirPods just rest in the (if I’m remembering my GCSE biology correctly...) concha of the ear.

Obviously it will depend on the individual and their ear shape, but I have found the original AirPods to be more comfortable for longer periods than any in-ear headphone I’ve used before. This is my one reservation with the AirPods Pro, or I think I would already have bought a pair.

Everyone is different - I see dozens of pairs of Beats Solo 3 out and about, but when I put them on I get an excruciating pain after a short while of listening where it pushes my left ear back. Unless you wear completely over-ear cans, the comfort of headphones seems to be highly subjective.

Mmmmm....concha. That remind me, I need to get some.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I remember those discussions about the "old" AirPods. They do not fit in a perfect manner, they need some rubber tips that really fit into the ears, there is too much noise from outside, they need to have better isolation from that.

As it appears, we do have the perfect follow-up now. They do everything we asked for, three years ago. Now, what should the AirPod Pros 2G be like?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I’m in the same boat; the APPs cause a lot of discomfort and eventually pain when I use them for any length of time; the old AirPods fit perfectly in my ears and don’t feel like I’m wearing anything at all.

I’ll stick to my old AirPods and return my Pros. My wife loves hers so that’s a win at least. I don’t need ANC very often anyway, so it’s really not a big deal for me. I’ve been happy with my AirPods for years and I wasn’t yearning for something different, so all is good.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I remember those discussions about the "old" AirPods. They do not fit in a perfect manner, they need some rubber tips that really fit into the ears, there is too much noise from outside, they need to have better isolation from that.

As it appears, we do have the perfect follow-up now. They do everything we asked for, three years ago. Now, what should the AirPod Pros 2G be like?

Wrong. No. AirPods were perfect. While AirPods Pro are IEMs. Hate IEMs.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

It's physics? My ears must defy the laws of physics than since these are the most comfortable IEMs I have ever used. I hated the first two generations and these fit like a dream (with a medium tip in my left ear and a large tip in my right).

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Regrettably I have to return mine too due to the pain they’re causing to the cartilage in both ears.

My launch day gen 1’s need replacing so I’ll pick up a new pair tomorrow.

Reactions: Datsyuk

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The original earbuds and the 1st gen and 2nd gen AirPods fit my ears perfectly. I can have them in for hours and don’t even remember they are there. Those silicone tips are a big no no for me. I’ve had other earbuds with silicone tips and none of them are comfortable. They all hurt after a while and don’t feel secure in my ears. I tried the galaxy buds only a month ago and it was the same thing.

Sype10

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
I personally think the pros are great, had them in for 4 hours with no discomfort. The noise cancelling cut out the noise of the fireworks outside so I could watch tv. My gen 2 AirPods would have fallen out a few times in 4 hours.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Errrr what ? iEMS don’t factually hurt because none hurt my ears and I’ve gone through headphones like every other month it seems at one point. I don’t even notice these are here. The Sony’s as well was comfortable but you noticed them because of the weight. I can wear these all day as well as the Powerbeats pro

Reactions: AIRPODS PRO

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
It's physics? My ears must defy the laws of physics than since these are the most comfortable IEMs I have ever used. I hated the first two generations and these fit like a dream (with a medium tip in my left ear and a large tip in my right).

I don’t have an issue with those and might pick up a pair anyways. Sometimes I want the openness of them and don’t like transparency modes in general. Dont get me wrong it’s natural but I don’t like it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.