Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Since you get a pretty good seal thanks to the silicone tips I am afraid that you feel pressure build up inside of your ear in exchange. I heard that the APPs have kind of an open mesh design which lets this pressure out but I'd still be interested in other people's experience if that really works well.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Since you get a pretty good seal thanks to the silicone tips I am afraid that you feel pressure build up inside of your ear in exchange. I heard that the APPs have kind of an open mesh design which lets this pressure out but I'd still be interested in other people's experience if that really works well.
I think this aspect works really well and haven’t suffered for the typical in ear pressure/fatigue I encounter with in ear buds. Unfortunately the shape of the pod itself differs from the previous form factor and this is what causes me pain.

nyc232

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
I think this aspect works really well and haven’t suffered for the typical in ear pressure/fatigue I encounter with in ear buds. Unfortunately the shape of the pod itself differs from the previous form factor and this is what causes me pain.
I think this is spot on, for me at least.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I don’t have mine yet, but I’m hoping this is something you get used to, much like the original AirPods, which I found pretty uncomfortable for the first week or two. After which I must have adjusted to them because since then I have found them pretty comfortable.

HappyMBAowner

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2015
Quebec
What I find, is that some earbud designs simply do not fit my ear, particularly Apple's. Ear shapes are like fingerprints, everyone has different ears and sadly that means stuff like the airpods will not work
I found very few people who disliked the Airpods 1,2 among the people I know. Actually, every single person I know loves them. That's just not the case with the Pro line. It's a disaster from my point of view.
[automerge]1572827520[/automerge]
airpod pros arent uncomfortable, your ears are just broken...
Yeah... sure... what a disrespectful comment. I found very few people who disliked the Airpods 1,2 among the people I know. Actually, every single person I know loves them. That's just not the case with the Pro line. It's a disaster from my point of view.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I found very few people who disliked the Airpods 1,2 among the people I know. Actually, every single person I know loves them. That's just not the case with the Pro line. It's a disaster from my point of view.

Yeah... sure... what a disrespectful comment. I found very few people who disliked the Airpods 1,2 among the people I know. Actually, every single person I know loves them. That's just not the case with the Pro line. It's a disaster from my point of view.
A disaster? Right...

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Sigh, I want to love these things so bad but they hurt and cause very obvious redness in my ears. I’ve tried all three tip sizes over the past two days with breaks in-between, still hurt.

How could gen 1 & 2 fit so comfortaby, sometimes even forgetting they were on.

What could be the major design difference that could be causing this?

Also, threads on reddit are starting to pop up with others having the same issue.

Thanks.
I felt the same way with my Powerbeats Pro, they hurt a lot. But it took 4 months to stop hurting.

I’m hoping my ears can adjust with the AirPods Pro, because they also hurt my ear too.

Reactions: Datsyuk

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

What a disrespectful comment? Seriously? Don’t have much of a sense of humor, I guess. For you it may be a disaster, but for me, these are the first ones that I can actually wear so I call them a success.

Sithvr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Sigh, I want to love these things so bad but they hurt and cause very obvious redness in my ears. I’ve tried all three tip sizes over the past two days with breaks in-between, still hurt.

Also, threads on reddit are starting to pop up with others having the same issue.

Thanks.
They hurt me so bad. Sometimes I’ll be ok for a few minutes or when I’m at the gym but when I’m still or let’s say I smile, OUCH. Smile the pain away? Nah not worth it.

KANDAQ

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2016
I have only one other pair of ANC headphones I’ve used and those are Beats Studio 3 wireless. When I use the ANC on that I do feel some pressure on my ears but its mild and I forget it pretty fast. But I just got AirPods pro today and have been testing for a few hours. I tried all three tip sizes and within 5-10 seconds of turning on noise cancelling on the AirPods pro I feel a VERY strong pressure on my ears and I even feel short of breath and my chest gets a little tight and I feel like that lump in my throat feeling when you get nervous. and there’s pressure on my sinuses as well, and if I keep wearing them with ANC on for 5-10 minutes it gets really uncomfortable and worrisome and almost painful. The noise cancellation is incredible and Im trying to justify keeping them and not returning. I stopped using the AirPods pro (with ANC on) an hour ago and all those symptoms have NOT GONE AWAY yet (although have faded a little bit) but still so weird that an hour later I still have the chest/ear fatigue and pressure in my head. Ive never felt this way before I cant compare it to anything else.

I had this problem as well when I first started using ANC headphones which was the BeoPlay H8. With ANC on, my ears start to hurt after about 30 mins. If I keep ANC on for much longer than that, the pain on my ears actually goes all the way down to my neck. So I kept ANC off and only switched it on when I’m at a really noisy place like outdoors, train, plane, etc.

After about a year, once I forgot to turn off ANC and didn’t realized that I’ve been listening for more than an hour without any pain or discomfort. That’s when I realize that I actually got used to it. I have never turned off ANC since, even after switching to the Sony 1000xm3.

I‘ve read in other forums where many2 people eventually got used to ANC as well. This should be documented somewhere. On the Apple store, many reviewers gave 1 star and returned their AirPods Pro due to the pain, which they thought was due to the earpiece design.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
After planning to return mine today I've decided to hold on a little longer. I think my ears are actually starting to adjust. Not really feeling the pain anymore. Using the smallest tip and give the AirPods an extra twist when I put them in and it seems to have helped significantly

tfraley

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
Los angeles
Guys..

Some of you are missing the point.
Airpod pros are not meant to be replacement's to the Airpods

Which means if you're happy with your Airpods don't get Pro's that simple
Those of us who never got good fits before because ears were too big and want that seal for better audio quality will love them.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014

I didn’t love them. I bought other headphones because I didn’t like the AirPods design. Now Apple makes two different types of headphones and they can sell one type to you and one type to me. Seems smart to me.

Reactions: Lloyd Hird

John90976

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
SoCal
After planning to return mine today I've decided to hold on a little longer. I think my ears are actually starting to adjust. Not really feeling the pain anymore. Using the smallest tip and give the AirPods an extra twist when I put them in and it seems to have helped significantly
I was hoping they'd adjust due to the added weight and tension presented and I think time is taking its toll thankfully. I tried to accelerate this by putting the large tips in to alter my ear at the fastest rate if it were to do so at all. The AirPods Pro are backordered and people are willing to pay a good bit for these things I was quite ready to return, but I'm very hopeful that the pain abates because these features are choice!

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park

lol wut

Wxchaser

macrumors P6
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks.

I received my Airpods Pro late yesterday - so today, 11/05/19, was the first chance to use them after charging.

Highly disappointed per OP's initial post. I spoke to support this afternoon and have opened a case with Apple re: the pain in fit. My original AirPods were in the first shipment before they went out of stock and fit me perfectly.

I compared the old model with longer stems to the new AirPods Pro - and the design is thicker, rounder and more elongated at the top above the speaker. I believe this is what is causing the irritation. They hurt without any music or source audio being played, and the tips made zero difference at all. I did find the fit test to be pretty non-reliable (I think it may have passed once today for both ears during testing of many different sizes of tips).

Most likely I will return for a refund as I see no way to mitigate the difference in fit. MacGuy84 is right on point about the cartilage pain from the shape change.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have only one other pair of ANC headphones I’ve used and those are Beats Studio 3 wireless. When I use the ANC on that I do feel some pressure on my ears but its mild and I forget it pretty fast. But I just got AirPods pro today and have been testing for a few hours. I tried all three tip sizes and within 5-10 seconds of turning on noise cancelling on the AirPods pro I feel a VERY strong pressure on my ears and I even feel short of breath and my chest gets a little tight and I feel like that lump in my throat feeling when you get nervous. and there’s pressure on my sinuses as well, and if I keep wearing them with ANC on for 5-10 minutes it gets really uncomfortable and worrisome and almost painful. The noise cancellation is incredible and Im trying to justify keeping them and not returning. I stopped using the AirPods pro (with ANC on) an hour ago and all those symptoms have NOT GONE AWAY yet (although have faded a little bit) but still so weird that an hour later I still have the chest/ear fatigue and pressure in my head. Ive never felt this way before I cant compare it to anything else.
It sounds like the physiological reaction I read that some people have to noise pollution. Different people have different thresholds for sounds and vibrations that make them have a fight or flight response, which include increased levels of stress hormones. Unfortunately I don’t recall the article. It may have been in the Washington Post.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

macbethfan

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2010
Twentynine Palms, CA
I received my Airpods Pro late yesterday - so today, 11/05/19, was the first chance to use them after charging.

Highly disappointed per OP's initial post. I spoke to support this afternoon and have opened a case with Apple re: the pain in fit. My original AirPods were in the first shipment before they went out of stock and fit me perfectly.

I compared the old model with longer stems to the new AirPods Pro - and the design is thicker, rounder and more elongated at the top above the speaker. I believe this is what is causing the irritation. They hurt without any music or source audio being played, and the tips made zero difference at all. I did find the fit test to be pretty non-reliable (I think it may have passed once today for both ears during testing of many different sizes of tips).

Most likely I will return for a refund as I see no way to mitigate the difference in fit. MacGuy84 is right on point about the cartilage pain from the shape change.

I had to return mine as well. Sucks as I really liked the ANC/Transparency features and I waited so long for these to come out, but they hurt way too much. Not worth the pain if I can't stand them for more than 20 minutes at a time. They'd even hurt if I smiled or moved my face the wrong way. Pretty upset about the design, but I guess now I understand how all of those people who couldn't wear the standard Airpods felt for the past few years. It's a crappy feeling. I know Apple will sell many millions of these and we probably won't get any sort of redesign for 3-4 years at least.

Reactions: Datsyuk

mjodotcom

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2019
Wanted to share my experience here. I too was disappointed when I got these as they hurt my ears. My issue was the main cartilage area of my ears, where the larger body of the AirPods sit - not so much the canals. Luckily any size tip provides a “good seal” for me, so I moved down to the small size and let the AirPod sit a little further back in the ear. This seems to have helped with the pressure being applied to the ear itself. Also, just in general by wearing them I think my ears are getting used to the new fit and the discomfort has decreased. I am still cautious, but one week in now am actually more 50/50 on if I’ll keep them vs 90/10 from a few days ago for returning. I’ll see how the next week goes...but I guess bottom line is give it some time before making a snap decision.

Interesting side note: I was swapping back and forth between my Pros vs Gen 2s and I could definitely notice the sound quality and secure fit improvements of the pros. The Gen 2’s felt like they were going to fall out at a moments notice, something I never really noticed before lol. Guess that ear discomfort is partially related to a much more secure fit :)

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Wanted to share my experience here. I too was disappointed when I got these as they hurt my ears. My issue was the main cartilage area of my ears, where the larger body of the AirPods sit...
This sounds very similar to my experience - the tips felt fine, it was the, hmm, lower back curve of my ear that hurt after wearing them for a bit. And it wasn't like APP are super hot, or pointy, just a matter of them touching my ears for a while caused surprising pain. I was concerned that I might have to take them back. I thought about exchanging them for non-Pro AirPods (I've never had either before now). Initial attempts to settle them a bit further into my ears, in hopes of transferring the weight/contact away from the outer edge, were fruitless (all this with the original medium tips).

I ended up trying the larger tips, and just gently pushing the APP a little "forward" in my ear (hmm, rotating them along the same axis as if you held your arms out at your side and then brought your hands together in front - essentially leaving the ear tip in the same place and pushing the end of the stalk a little closer to my face, rotating the body a bit away from the cartilage)... and some combination of the different tips, the repositioning, or just my ears getting used to them... and now they're completely fine! I went from worried that I'd have to give them up, to really happy with them (the noise cancellation was always great, the sound is quite good, and the convenience is amazing). My one remaining annoyance is that the large tips are a little "floppy", and occasionally when I remove them one of the tips will invert (like an umbrella in too much wind). This is very easily remedied, but it means (in those cases) it's more than just one simple motion to put them away.

My previous good earphones (which I haven't been able to use in quite some time) were a pair of Etymotics IEMs with custom earmolds, which fit amazingly, were crazy comfortable and secure, and sounded fantastic. Unfortunately, after many years of service, the cable got munched, and, well, I'm much less interested in using wired headphones with a Lightning adapter.

I've been saying for a long time that Apple should make a variant of the AirPods with "spare" room in the case and some sort of grooved fitting replacing the AirPod's smooth exterior, to give custom earmolds something to attach to (with the "spare" room allowing them to remain attached while in the case) - the convenience of AirPods with the noise isolation and comfort, and secure fit, of my beloved custom Etymotics. As usual, Apple has arrived at a good solution by following an entirely different path than I had expected/urged - sealing out the sound in a partly physical, partly electronic manner, obviating the need for the earmolds. The comfort... seems to be getting there. I'm cautiously optimistic, and no longer considering returning them.

As a bonus, the substantially shorter stalks remove most of my feelings of them looking weird - I'd previously thought a darker color would mitigate the way they stood out... again, they fixed that a different way than I expected (I asked for a faster horse, they gave me a car). If the comfort keeps up, I'll be very happy with these.

(I still wish there was a way to change the volume without asking Siri. Sometimes I have my phone in my hand and it's quite convenient to use the side-mounted volume buttons. Other times the phone is in my pocket and it's considerably less convenient to change the volume - noise cancellation lessens the need to "ride the gain" though. But I kind of miss the small pod of physical buttons hanging reliably just below one ear.)

Last edited:

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
This is sadly true for all in-ear (and even alot of over-ear) headphones. they just don't fit everyone, because every one has different ears.

The original Airpods never fit me well, they were just dangling around. But luckily the Pro fit me perfectly.

mjodotcom

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2019
This sounds very similar to my experience - the tips felt fine, it was the, hmm, lower back curve of my ear that hurt after wearing them for a bit. And it wasn't like APP are super hot, or pointy, just a matter of them touching my ears for a while caused surprising pain. I was concerned that I might have to take them back. I thought about exchanging them for non-Pro AirPods (I've never had either before now). Initial attempts to settle them a bit further into my ears, in hopes of transferring the weight/contact away from the outer edge, were fruitless (all this with the original medium tips).

I ended up trying the larger tips, and just gently pushing the APP a little "forward" in my ear (hmm, rotating them along the same axis as if you held your arms out at your side and then brought your hands together in front - essentially leaving the ear tip in the same place and pushing the end of the stalk a little closer to my face, rotating the body a bit away from the cartilage)... and some combination of the different tips, the repositioning, or just my ears getting used to them... and now they're completely fine! I went from worried that I'd have to give them up, to really happy with them (the noise cancellation was always great, the sound is quite good, and the convenience is amazing). My one remaining annoyance is that the large tips are a little "floppy", and occasionally when I remove them one of the tips will invert (like an umbrella in too much wind). This is very easily remedied, but it means (in those cases) it's more than just one simple motion to put them away.

Interesting - my discomfort is mostly in the back of the larger hollow cavity of the ear (I think its called the "concha"?). So you found that moving up to a larger tip was better? I am currently using the small tips because it seemed to let the AirPods sit a little more lightly in the ear (medium tips cause the AirPods to push on the ear body a bit more), but maybe with rotating things around like you said it works out better, since I do think I get a better seal / sound with the medium tips even though the sound test checks out with either size...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.