Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The pre-load is available on Steam now, ready to be played on Tuesday. Who else is pumped for what could be the first decent Alien game? :D

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
It sounds great...but, maybe not as good as the 1994 Jaguar version :)

In terms of atmosphere, tension, and exploration, the Jaguar version was surprisingly good. The reviews of Isolation point out some flaws, I can't tell if they are being too nit-picky.

Definitely seems better than the crap Gearbox game...

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I don't play many games at all, and I'm sorry to ask such a basic question in a game-specific thread…

But is there any chance I'll be able to play this on my 2013 MacBook Air?

To my understanding, my MBAir has:
1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache

And Steam says the minimal requirements are:
Processor: 3.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 1GB (AMD Radeon HD 5550 or Nvidia GeForce GT 430)

Does that mean that my processor is like 1.8Ghz short, or are the Ghz on an i5 different from a Core 2 Duo? (probably).

Hey man. All I know is I played the recent Tomb Raider all the way through in Windows 7 and it looked great, and the other couple of "recent" games I've started up for like half an hour look fine, too.

This is just the very rare game that I'm pretty anxious to give-a-go.
Otherwise, I'll wait like a year-and-a-half when I get a PS4 to play Tomb Raider 2 (ha!).

----------

It sounds great...but, maybe not as good as the 1994 Jaguar version :)

In terms of atmosphere, tension, and exploration, the Jaguar version was surprisingly good. The reviews of Isolation point out some flaws, I can't tell if they are being too nit-picky.

Definitely seems better than the crap Gearbox game...

Are you talking about Alien vs Predator on Jaguar? I'm looking it up on YouTube and that's all I see.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Are you talking about Alien vs Predator on Jaguar? I'm looking it up on YouTube and that's all I see.

Yes, talking about AvP on the Atari Jaguar...when you see the YouTube videos, don't laugh, those graphics were top of the line back in 1994.

re: the MBA running this, those graphics requirements you've posted aren't all that extreme, but I would still be hesitant to try it on an MBA. Maybe posting on a MBA forum and asking about gaming performance there might give you a better idea, from people who have tried similar games.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Watched people play this game at Comic Con 2014 in San Diego. My kid really wants this game... but not sure what platform to buy this game on yet... currently leaning PS4. I'll probably wait till launch day when PC gamers post their screen shots and vids. If it looks and plays good in 5760x1080 tri-monitor nvidia surround, then I might get the PC version.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
First impressions (haven't played much yet, regretfully haven't had the time), its much better than Colonial Marines. Here we have believable characters, far greater plot, environments with a huge amount of detail and real Alien feel to the game. I like the very 80s sci-fi feel to the game, even the save points feel like a treat to use.

So far so good in my eyes!

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
It looks fantastic, and my friends are raving about it. Might pick it up later, I'm just so swamped at the moment. :(

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
<looks at Aspyr>

"Would be nice if someone ported this to OS X..."

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
<looks at Aspyr>

"Would be nice if someone ported this to OS X..."

It's a Creative Assembly game, and they use to let Feral Port their Total War games. Rome 2 was done directly by Creative Assembly, and that's a horribly mess. I'm hoping they let Aspyr or Feral port it if they're going to do it.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
It looks fantastic, and my friends are raving about it. Might pick it up later, I'm just so swamped at the moment. :(

Got it for my kid on the PS4... and it looked just okay on the console. A lot of skipped frames when you turn... but the game play looked fun. My PC friends are saying it looks fantastic so I may pick this up for my gaming rig. I'll play on the PS4 tonight to see if I like it... hope the skipped frames don't annoy me to much. :p

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Got it for my kid on the PS4... and it looked just okay on the console. A lot of skipped frames when you turn... but the game play looked fun. My PC friends are saying it looks fantastic so I may pick this up for my gaming rig. I'll play on the PS4 tonight to see if I like it... hope the skipped frames don't annoy me to much. :p

Here are some screenshots of the game downscaled from 3440x1440 a friend took.

They love it, no complaints of frame issues on PC, and he only has a single GTX 780

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27014486&postcount=972

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
OMG... thanks for the screenshot links. Tempted to download before playing on the PS4. BTW... even if I SLI my GPU's, it doesn't necessarily mean it translates to better performance. But I know you already know that. ;)

Oh yes, quite true, but a single GTX 770 at 1080p maxed gets 140-200fps in te game. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/XLO4qHL.png

Also I know off topic, but Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition does not like multiple graphics cards. It'll only use 1 of my D700's, and if Crossfire is on, I actually lose performance at 3440x1440 maxed.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Oh yes, quite true, but a single GTX 770 at 1080p maxed gets 140-200fps in te game. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/XLO4qHL.png

Also I know off topic, but Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition does not like multiple graphics cards. It'll only use 1 of my D700's, and if Crossfire is on, I actually lose performance at 3440x1440 maxed.

I didn't know consoles were locked at 30 fps. No wonder it appears to me like it's skipping frames when my kid turns fast. Those screenshots looks really good. My 12 year old is going to be jelly when he sees me play it on my PC. :p

OT: Like I said, SLI/Crossfire doesn't always work for every game.:(

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I just wanted to give an update to my previous post, wondering if it could be playable on my 2013 MBAir:

It works! I'll play it. But I'm not by any means an aficionado or a stickler for the absolute best performance (or I would own a console or a better gaming computer).

But yeah, it runs by the standards I would expect from my few previous games on the MBAir.

I'm also only like ten minutes through the game and haven't encountered the Alien yet. Because… almost every time I play a video game, I'm reminded that I'm just not that into gaming. But I'm really glad to have it around and I'll probably give it more [short bursts of] chances rather soon.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Couldn't stand the 30 fps lock (my kid says 60 fps) on the PS4, so I downloaded it for my PC. A lot smoother at 120 fps on 5760x1080 tri-surround 120hz monitors. :)

Actually enjoying this game... My son says the game is long, so I'll have to find more time to play it.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Couldn't stand the 30 fps lock (my kid says 60 fps) on the PS4, so I downloaded it for my PC. A lot smoother at 120 fps on 5760x1080 tri-surround 120hz monitors. :)

Actually enjoying this game... My son says the game is long, so I'll have to find more time to play it.

There's a fair bit of stretching on the side monitors. Are you using flawless widescreen app?
If not, they have fixed that by now.

Your maturity, common sense and self control are refreshing... :)

Hehe, thanks. Not sure how to take that. :)

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
There's a fair bit of stretching on the side monitors. Are you using flawless widescreen app?
If not, they have fixed that by now.

I don't have flawless widescreen or widescreen fixer installed unless I need it... like the Mass Effect series. I don't mind the side monitor stretch since my side monitors have a pretty good angle since my desk isn't wide. It gives me the max peripheral vision in front of me without having monitors surrounding my head. It still feels immersive... especially when crawling in the air vents...

But I agree... the flawless and widescreen fixer should fixes or adjustments to side monitor stretch.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
is it me or the first few hours were boring....?

Its called pacing. Something I feel a lot of new video games lack.

Many of you may recall that the first few hours of Half Life aren't exactly thrilling. A long train ride showing off the skeletal animation Valve had introduced to the Quake engine, a fair amount of time exchanging pleasantries with your fellow colleagues as you blow up microwave casseroles, flipping a switch and pushing some sample into a beam to cause the end of the world and then still after that, the pace is slow with the first levels focused on crowbarring headcrabs. It isn't until we start seeing the aliens and marines things begin to take off.

And Half Life is undoubtedly an awesome game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.