Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Same place as your answer to my question no doubt.
No, I answered it. You're extrapolating from a single minuscule datapoint from an anonymous stranger, all the way out to nationwide sales figures. Your numbers are nonsense, which is evident because Massimo is not doing $50b+ in revenue.

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
No, we use, and dispose of, 20-50 per day. They are single-patient use. They aren't sterile after opening, and can't be cleaned or autoclaved.

I'm not referring to the clip-on style sensors, which are reusable.

I guess that is good then. The cost of producing is VERY low if disposable, so the royalty fee should be very low too. Probably won't be though.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
The sensors used in the watches are not the same tech they use or sell to medical facilities.
Uhhhh. Hate to break it to you but absolutely not true. They work in exactly the same way. Only difference is the sensor on the watch measures on the wrist and the sensor in the hospital measures on the tip of a finger.

The use of laser light and analysis of the light reflected back to determine SPO2 is identical.

Also. There are sensors in the market that measure SPO2 on the base of your thumb (like a ring) and other fingers. They license a Massimo’s tech.

So everyone saying Massimo is just a patent troll they are not. I don’t like the company or its CEO but I like what Apple is doing far less.

Reactions: Pezimak

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
I guess that is good then. The cost of producing is VERY low if disposable, so the royalty fee should be very low too. Probably won't be though.

ROFL. So let me get this straight…. Are ANY of us paying anything close to the “production cost” of a single bit of Apple tech???? Come on…. We all know pricing is determine by the seller plain and simple.

A fair asking price is what ever the heck they want it to be and if you don’t agree then please don’t make a single excuse about how it’s different for Apple because we all know it’s not.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
The writing is on the wall for medical device companies. Silicon Valley is coming for their low hanging fruit such as what the watch can do and soon blood sugar levels. SV can outmaneuver and develop the legacy medical companies and the days of insanely priced medical devices will come to an end. Apple and others will play the long game and win.

I suspect completely new methods/hardware will be used in future watches to stamp out Masimo.

If I went to a hospital and they strapped an Apple Watch on me to measure my stats, I would seriously walk out! And I wear a Series 8 daily.

Reactions: RuralJuror

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I may have missed it but;
There are 6129 hospitals,(just), in the US, multiplied by 35, (halfway between 20 and 50), multiplied by 365 = about 78M.

Is that not more than 50M?

The hyperbolic claim was more in a week than Apple produce in a year.

Of of course 78M is more than 50M, and your math totally works if a week has 365 days in it.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
The hyperbolic claim was more in a week than Apple produce in a year.

Of of course 78M is more than 50M, and your math totally works if a week has 365 days in it.
Ok cool, thanks. That was the bit I missed.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
No, I answered it. You're extrapolating from a single minuscule datapoint from an anonymous stranger, all the way out to nationwide sales figures. Your numbers are nonsense, which is evident because Massimo is not doing $50b+ in revenue.
You most certainly did NOT.
Let me repeat it for you as it seems you have problems understanding;
There are 6129 hospitals,(just), in the US, multiplied by 35, (halfway between 20 and 50), multiplied by 365 = about 78M.

There are TWO possible answers.
  • Yes, it is more.
  • No it's not more.
As it happens, Nicho was kind enough to set things straight. I don't need your input any further.

• Haha
Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
You most certainly did NOT.
Let me repeat it for you as it seems you have problems understanding;

There are TWO possible answers.
  • Yes, it is more.
  • No it's not more.
As it happens, Nicho was kind enough to set things straight. I don't need your input any further.

I did assume there was a rhetorical element to your question, but if you were genuinely asking then I do apologize for leaving you in such suspense. But hey, as a bonus everyone now knows how many days are in a week vs a year, so it wasn't a total waste.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Masimo is also acting like a bully. People seem to keep ignoring the fact that Masimo has already has several patents invalided and the rest are being review and fact that Apple holds patents for the tech they are using in their watch.

If you want to play that game let’s look at Apple patents and they had some major ones invalidate and some massive joke patents. Do not use the invalidate number as an argument. The patents office as massive issue with giving out joke patents. Apple being one of the worse abusers of the system.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Guys… patents don’t cover ideas… they specific implementations. If you had a valid patent a the standard metal spring mouse trap, and I “invented” a plastic spring mouse trap that is otherwise identical… that’s a totally different valid patent.

Massimo’s FDA approved medical devices that it markets and sells to medical professionals have zero to do with anything related to Apple health focused consumer products marketed and sold directly to end users from commercial shopping outlets.

The FDA approved disposable medial sensors have zero to do with the durable health trends tracking sensors in an Apple Watch. One tracks medical stats accurately for medical diagnoses. The other lets you know if maybe should see a doctor and ask for first.

Lastly, 10+ years ago when Apple asked Massimo for such a chips as the one they later developed, Massimo didn’t have one to sell them. They then asked for an insane amount to bring full DME grade sensors to the thing. (Totally missing the point and intent of the product.)

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
If you want to play that game let’s look at Apple patents and they had some major ones invalidate and some massive joke patents. Do not use the invalidate number as an argument. The patents office as massive issue with giving out joke patents. Apple being one of the worse abusers of the system.
Apple is not even in the same ballpark as the seed companies. They are actually patenting genes. They have patents on genetically engineered strains of corn, soybeans, wheat, sorghum, tomatoes, etc, etc, etc.

aloyouis

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011

Now if you want my real take, here it is. I think the patents should be completely done away with. I don't think anyone, or any company, under any circumstances, should have a legal stranglehold on an idea, for any length of time.

WHAT??? You are a big fan of collapsing innovation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.