Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Same for me. It makes me wonder if the phone was indexing or something. It’s been almost a week since I had problems, and I really haven’t done anything to fix it. Very odd.

Yeah, I"m going to write it off as a fluke for now. The one thing that irritates me is my battery health went from 100% to 97% during this little fiasco which isn't a big deal but I've only had it for less than 2 months. 3rd party app shows 99% though.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Do the stores now have 6S batteries in stock? In the U.K?

I should think so, my sister had the battery in her 6 Plus replaced a couple of weeks ago in the Covent Garden Apple store. She made a Genius appointment, then left her phone with them for a couple of hours and collected it later the same day without problem.

Reactions: apolloa

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its Apples forced obsolescence I’m afraid, because they couldn’t source us 6S users to upgrade our phones, they are now doing it with iOS 11 draining the battery. Mine was fine before iOS 11.3, now it drains so so fast no matter I’m doing, I’ve had the situation where I had to reboot it a couple of times and so the phone then rebooted itself and went into to throttle mode... it’s also switches off at 40% and gone into throttle mode a few times... all whilst reporting my battery life as fine..

And thanks to Apple, I have to have THERE battery put in for all the software to work properly.. and if I can’t go to the nearest store, about 60 miles away, and get it changed the same day, I won’t bother.

I was hoping to change to a new X style SE, but who knows what’s happening with that, and all the other phones are too big or overpriced, an 8 doesn’t feel different enough.
So alas I’ll have to get the battery changed, and feel as though Apple has forced me into it all the while, and in my family I’m not the only one who feels like this!

I think the fact in my experience, that on iOS 11 even with throttle mode engaged, battery life is far worst then under iOS 10. It shows how they are forcing you to give them more money if you want an iPhone.
Now I’ll pay the £25 for a new battery, but it’s the fact I’ll have to go without a phone for a week or 2, or spend time and money doing a 120 mile round trip twice to get it that peeves me off!

Do the stores now have 6S batteries in stock? In the U.K?
Of course it's clearly some sort of weirdly complicated self-detrimental malicious conpriacy that only affects some and not others, rather than an issue somewhere which is far from unusual in the world of software and hardware.

Reactions: willmtaylor

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Of course it's clearly some sort of weirdly complicated self-detrimental malicious conpriacy that only affects some and not others, rather than an issue somewhere which is far from unusual in the world of software and hardware.

Just expressing my opinion that I and many others have. And when you have an update that drains the battery, after what Apple has done we will see it as more obsolescence.

Last edited:

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Yeah, I"m going to write it off as a fluke for now. The one thing that irritates me is my battery health went from 100% to 97% during this little fiasco which isn't a big deal but I've only had it for less than 2 months. 3rd party app shows 99% though.
I called Apple and my drop from 96% battery health to 94% was valid on their end.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

Apart fro ma few naysayers, almost everyone draws conclusions from Apple's actions.

@OP There is no solution to iOS 11. So far battery life on iOS 12 has been kickass and you should try out the dev beta. The focus on older devices really shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nisaja

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Apart fro ma few naysayers, almost everyone draws conclusions from Apple's actions.

@OP There is no solution to iOS 11. So far battery life on iOS 12 has been kickass and you should try out the public beta. The focus on older devices really shows.
I thought there was only a developers beta for 12 at the time?

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016

@OP There is no solution to iOS 11. So far battery life on iOS 12 has been kickass and you should try out the public beta. The focus on older devices really shows.

How much better is the battery life on your 8 Plus and X on iOS 12? I'm thinking of updating.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I thought there was only a developers beta for 12 at the time?
Yes I am on the dev beta and so far its running much better than iOS 11.4. FaceID is faster and battery life is simply stellar. iOS 11.4 finished release feels more like a beta compared to iSO 12 Dev Beta 1 to me
[doublepost=1529256141][/doublepost]
How much better is the battery life on your 8 Plus and X on iOS 12? I'm thinking of updating.
I am getting around 2 hours more on the iPhone X. More impressive is the FaceID speed. Its failure rate has reduced and its become much faster. Apart from that I am noticing improved launch times for apps.

However I dislike the fact they removed the standby time and usage time from the battery menu.

I haven't loaded it on my 7 Plus yet

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Yes I am on the dev beta and so far its running much better than iOS 11.4. FaceID is faster and battery life is simply stellar. iOS 11.4 finished release feels more like a beta compared to iSO 12 Dev Beta 1 to me
Which device do you have and what is the drainage on standby average?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Which device do you have and what is the drainage on standby average?

iPhone X. Standby battery life seems mostly the same. I am seeing much improved usage times. In Safari, on my X, when I was on iOS 11, it used to drain 1% every 7 minutes on iOS 11. On iOS 12, it drains 1% after 11 minutes. This is when my battery percentage is on 63%.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Intersting: I hit 50% after about 11 hours yesterday and never left my WiFi connection, so I'm guessing that whatever this is, it's not global to all 7 plus phones on iOS 11.4, but rather more specific to some to many.

I think that the drain is way higher on Wi-Fi. I was losing 1-2% in minutes with Wi-Fi on standby. With cellular, I lost about 3% in a little over two hours. It's pretty drastic. Without any internet connection, I lost like 1% in 22 hours.

I don't have any photos to show standby on Wi-Fi yet. I'll be doing that soon once I switch my SIM back.

67a2fdbc9bed525652a06ef131b92b92.png

743277a81108dd71135f7509f6267aca.png

Reactions: TiggrToo

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
@TiggrToo it seems standby drain is improved. Almost an hour and not one percentage lost. Putting in my SIM seems to have resolved some backend issue. I still think it uses a lot more during moderate usage. I'm going to take it that the device requires more resources in the background or apps have become more power hungry.

Edit: I plugged it in to get to 96% to match the previous screenshots.

ac159cbc7d4c538d564365aaba0eff67.png

Oh yeah it's still dying fast during usage. Like big time.

Edit: Already at 92%.

89b79f4179e3078b3a2642046832b019.png

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
@TiggrToo it seems standby drain is improved. Almost an hour and not one percentage lost. Putting in my SIM seems to have resolved some backend issue. I still think it uses a lot more during moderate usage. I'm going to take it that the device requires more resources in the background or apps have become more power hungry.

Edit: I plugged it in to get to 96% to match the previous screenshots.

ac159cbc7d4c538d564365aaba0eff67.png

Oh yeah it's still dying fast during usage. Like big time.

Edit: Already at 92%.

89b79f4179e3078b3a2642046832b019.png

Have you tried doing a backup then wiping it clean then seeing what it's like without anything on apart from Apple apps? Appreciate that's a bit of a PITA, bit then again, having a device that has a 2 hour battery life seems to be equally as much of the same...

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Have you tried doing a backup then wiping it clean then seeing what it's like without anything on apart from Apple apps? Appreciate that's a bit of a PITA, bit then again, having a device that has a 2 hour battery life seems to be equally as much of the same...

I haven't. I may try that in the future but I'm considering jumping onto the beta train with 11.4.1.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
6226BDFD-911A-4810-BE3D-6E4681D7628E.png
I’ve used my phone heavily today and it’s performing as good as ever. This isn’t a “brag” post, it’s just to show that not ALL phones are wrecked on iOS 11.4

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Part of me would say 'Danger! Danger! Will Robinson' when taking about overlaying a beta over a non-functional release, the other part of me says "What's the worst that can happen? Choo, Choo!"

Either way, a good backup is probably prudent!

I just realized something. On the Apple feedback link, they don't list 11.4. You have to submit the feedback without selecting the iOS version. How bizarre.

For those of you with battery issues, report. Put in the comments your iOS version (11.4). Don't select it at the bottom as it only goes to 11.3. Make sure to list device, battery health %, and any other vital information.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Reactions: timeconsumer

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
View attachment 766605 I’ve used my phone heavily today and it’s performing as good as ever. This isn’t a “brag” post, it’s just to show that not ALL phones are wrecked on iOS 11.4
I’m the OP, and my problems have mysteriously just gone away. It’s a week from when I first had a problem, and today my 6s sits at 75% after being last charged yesterday evening, which falls within expectations perfectly.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Yes I had this problem, bizarrely I tried turning off handoff which I read somewhere helped and it seems to have improved it.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Part of me would say 'Danger! Danger! Will Robinson' when taking about overlaying a beta over a non-functional release, the other part of me says "What's the worst that can happen? Choo, Choo!"

Either way, a good backup is probably prudent!

Running the beta. Going to give it 24-48 hours but it seems to be okay.

Not more drain and it didn't lower my battery health either.

Edit: Now I can also report the battery.

Last edited:

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I've resorted to an older iPhone 6, running 11.4 and my battery is working fine, so significant drain issues. Yesterday I used it a fair bit and went to bed with it on 72%.

May look at upgrading soon though, the 6 runs like a dog with iOS 11. I've gotten so used to the speed of the 6S that I noticeably find myself getting ahead of the app as that's how fast I'm used to working. It also takes 10 seconds for apps like snapchat to open, and messenger constantly crashes. Don't think I can wait for a new SE. Will try and get an 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.