Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
In cases like these, that report isn’t much help, since the battery is draining while idle due to some sort of bug. The app reporting doesn’t seem to catch it.

Strange. I assumed that if there was an application hanging in the background that was causing the issue, it would still report that usage.

You can check your logs to see if there are a plethora of bug reports or crashes that are limited to one specific app or set of circumstances, or play around with deleting apps / changing the settings to see if you can pinpoint what the issue is.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
+1 on this, but iPhone 5s. Updated to 11.4. This phone sits at my computer as a secondary testing only device for app development. Literally did not touch it for 2 days since the update. Completely dead when I looked at it last night. Previously, that phone could go for a week or more on less than 100% charge.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I really think it’s related to apps with background privileges. Last night I had Amazon Music running for about an hour, then I paused it. This morning when I woke up, my phone was at 20%. I believe this happened once before with Amazon Music since going to 11.4.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I really think it’s related to apps with background privileges. Last night I had Amazon Music running for about an hour, then I paused it. This morning when I woke up, my phone was at 20%. I believe this happened once before with Amazon Music since going to 11.4.

Do you have background refresh on?

charliesixtwo

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
Canada
Adding my voice to ios 11.4 causing a battery drain on an 8+

icloud for messages is off
Background refresh is on
but i force closed all apps except for Mail, notes, photos, messages, phone

my guess is that it's something on apple's side (icloud related?) that is causing a lot more polling which in turn is just chewing up battery life.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Seems the battery run down experiment fixed it, at least so far. Haven’t charged it since last night and I’m at 71%, under light use, which is more in line with what I normally see. I wonder what happened?

Yep, I have to do this every now and then for an iOS update because the OS battery calibration goes nuts. Hasn't happened recently for me though. But I forget what iOS it was (10?) but after 2 hours of usage my battery went down to 60% - freaked me out. Then I ran it down to 0 till it shut off, it spent 5 hours at like 7% or something doing something super battery intensive, once charged back up, battery was normal. :p

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Yep, I have to do this every now and then for an iOS update because the OS battery calibration goes nuts. Hasn't happened recently for me though. But I forget what iOS it was (10?) but after 2 hours of usage my battery went down to 60% - freaked me out. Then I ran it down to 0 till it shut off, it spent 5 hours at like 7% or something doing something super battery intensive, once charged back up, battery was normal. :p

Yeah, my phone has done it 3 times now under 11.4.

I stream from radio apps and google play often. Just try turning it off quickly and see if you can still do what you want.

Love your username, avatar, and location btw lol that episode was great

I did try it, and it still works, so I’m not sure why Amazon needs background privileges beyond playback.

Yes, I went for a fun user name. If you are especially attentive to my profile, my “birthday” is actually the date the episode originally aired!

Last edited:

Julienne

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Texas
My 6S drains badly too after this update. Really miffed about it as at the end of last year I had three months of poor battery life before an update solved it. Now I’m in the same situation again!

Picked my phone up yesterday and the battery said 10%, and when I started using it the screen went black and I had a loading circle in the middle. The battery was in fact completely dead despite sitting on the side for most of the day. Poor form indeed, sort it out Apple.
What’s your battery capacity?? If it’s below 80% then you might need a new battery.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think Apple may win this battle and I might just ditch the 6s. Went to bed at 70% last night. Closed all apps, no background data, and phone was dead by 7am. Battery health still 97%. I'm not even positive a new phone would for sure solve the issue. iOS 12 on my iPhone X solved the issue but it persists on my 6s. What to do? :(

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I think Apple may win this battle and I might just ditch the 6s. Went to bed at 70% last night. Closed all apps, no background data, and phone was dead by 7am. Battery health still 97%. I'm not even positive a new phone would for sure solve the issue. iOS 12 on my iPhone X solved the issue but it persists on my 6s. What to do? :(
Maybe it is possible that iOS12 beta has the same bug, and it only affects the older iPhones?

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
Posted this in another thread

My sister's iPhone 6s battery life (iOS 11.4). The battery was replaced in February of this year.

Attachments

• Image-1-1.jpg
    Image-1-1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Image-1-2.jpg
    Image-1-2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 166

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Well fwiw i just had 4 iphones go for new batteries. An iphone 6s, 2 iphone 6s pluses, and a 7 plus. The iphone 6s was free due to the shutdown recall, it qualified under the serial #, then I paid the $29 for the other 3 iphones.

The 6s battery got replaced no problem. One of the 6s pluses the apple store tech stated they had trouble getting the display off so they gave me a new 6s plus, the other two they said they had to replace the display on top of the battery. So far so good on all 4 phones, battery life is noticeably better.

so I would at least try either a battery replacement and/or a new 6s. Still a great phone.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Well fwiw i just had 4 iphones go for new batteries. An iphone 6s, 2 iphone 6s pluses, and a 7 plus. The iphone 6s was free due to the shutdown recall, it qualified under the serial #, then I paid the $29 for the other 3 iphones.

The 6s battery got replaced no problem. One of the 6s pluses the apple store tech stated they had trouble getting the display off so they gave me a new 6s plus, the other two they said they had to replace the display on top of the battery. So far so good on all 4 phones, battery life is noticeably better.

so I would at least try either a battery replacement and/or a new 6s. Still a great phone.

My battery is less than 6 months old and at 97%. It was replaced by Apple for free in January. So you think another battery?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
My battery is less than 6 months old and at 97%. It was replaced by Apple for free in January. So you think another battery?

I’m wondering at this point if they’d just offer you a new 6s. Maybe get to a manager and explain the frustration

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I’m wondering at this point if they’d just offer you a new 6s. Maybe get to a manager and explain the frustration

Well when I went in a few weeks back they pretty much said sorry. The new battery was out of warranty as was the 6s. They asked if I considered an X or 8 to help solve my issues. :(

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
Well when I went in a few weeks back they pretty much said sorry. The new battery was out of warranty as was the 6s. They asked if I considered an X or 8 to help solve my issues. :(
I know someone who got the same line with their iPhone 6 Plus before it was discovered apple was throttling older phones

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

I’d maybe try calling n talking with someone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.