Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I’m hoping to see direct SD card / DSLR import to third party apps like Lightroom, skip the need to import via photos would be a big step forward. The ability to export to a usb device would be even better, essentially retire my MacBook for photo editing if we got that. I’ll keep hoping but I’ve a good feeling about ios13!

I have read rumors that bypassing Photos and importing directly into other apps (like Photoshop or Lightroom) is one thing they'll likely add, but no mention of exporting to a USB device. I'd love it if they add full read/write access to external storage.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Also not sure what’s keeping files.app from accessing network storage like File Browser does.

Apple isn't facing a technical problem. They just don't want to do it. They want users to use apps, not work with files. You guys are wasting your wishes, just switch to android if you want that feature.

Take a look at iTunes. When you add a song, iTunes adds it to its database, it doesn't tell you where the file is added in the filesystem/what folder.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Apple isn't facing a technical problem. They just don't want to do it. They want users to use apps, not work with files. You guys are wasting your wishes, just switch to android if you want that feature.

Take a look at iTunes. When you add a song, iTunes adds it to its database, it doesn't tell you where the file is added in the filesystem/what folder.

They have made a little concession to working with files by giving us the Files app. I agree they likely won't open things up like people are clamoring for, but I guess we'll find out shortly.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012

I agree that it isn't a technical problem and for some reason they don't want to do it.

But I disagree with everything else you have said. Your iTunes library is a database, if you want to see where the file is stored you can. I don't really see how that fits into apps.

By the logic you stated, the Files app shouldn't have access to your iCloud storage because Apple don't want you using any type of file what so ever. But you can....

I would say it's probably not worth overthinking, it's quite simple really - they want you to use iCloud. People who don't know how to setup network storage, won't know any different. And the ones that do, either have alternatives or can be ignored.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I don't get why they don't want to do it though. Look at what everyone says in just about every thread in the iPad subforum here, and look at what every review of the current gen iPads has said... Great hardware, let down by software.

You'd think that message would be getting through to Apple by now.

Reactions: Koh Phi Phi

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I don't get why they don't want to do it though. Look at what everyone says in just about every thread in the iPad subforum here, and look at what every review of the current gen iPads has said... Great hardware, let down by software.

Lets see if it has on Monday. I doubt it, I also don't think they necessarily will ever do what we want though, which will be a shame, but I guess some day some company will :rolleyes:

Reactions: loybond

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

I explained why in some other part of this forum. The original Jobs vision was to make it as hard as possible for IOS users to "dump" their (ripped, pirated, etc) mp3 collection to the ipad and make it much more convenient to buy from the itunes store. So no access to external storage, no folders, no local downloads on the ipad/iphone etc. The music (/videos etc.) purchase situation has changed a lot since, but IOS purposefully built limitations have been eased only slightly since. We'll see if they are ready to change things with IOS 13 or not (or rather very little).

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Yeah, the original vision was to be a thing between computer and phone, I get that.

But all that changed when they started calling/marketing it as a Pro device with the matching price point. iOS has matured significantly since then, and they've added all kinds of features in less than polished ways like multitasking, drag and drop, files app, keyboard cover, pencil etc. to make it seem like a computer replacement.

It seems illogical to not go the last 20% and add features that most agree are needed to be a true computer replacement. Anyways, we'll see what happens on Monday I guess.

I explained why in some other part of this forum. The original Jobs vision was to make it as hard as possible for IOS users to "dump" their (ripped, pirated, etc) mp3 collection to the ipad and make it much more convenient to buy from the itunes store. So no access to external storage, no folders, no local downloads on the ipad/iphone etc. The music (/videos etc.) purchase situation has changed a lot since, but IOS purposefully built limitations have been eased only slightly since. We'll see if they are ready to change things with IOS 13 or not (or rather very little).

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

Do you really think Timmy is that smart?

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Never gonna happen. Mark my words.
Apple likes to have their sadist pleasure at all times.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Never gonna happen. Mark my words.
Apple likes to have their sadist pleasure at all times.

I agree that external storage being accessible like a pc will never happen.

I half expect them to open up the photo import method to be accessible via the files app however so that other apps may import photos from an sd card without going through the photos app. It will be extremely limited and still annoying, but ever so slightly better than it is now though.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

I half expect them to open up the photo import method to be accessible via the files app however so that other apps may import photos from an sd card without going through the photos app. It will be extremely limited and still annoying, but ever so slightly better than it is now though.

I had read this rumor before. I fear you are right and it will be severely limited. I am guessing they will get shredded for it in the press (not to mention here!).

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

Why would I want to switch to a worse platform just for one feature?

The iTunes method works fine for a database of similar files types which you interact with in a similar way. That method falls apart once you get into complex projects. But that’s what Macs are for. My iPad and pencil have been assigned to a helper role, which they do well, with the help of third party apps.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015

Looks like all that will now be possible. Although they only mentioned Lightroom in the keynote. Wonder if this will be universally accessible.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I can't believe they're adding pretty much everything I wanted!!!! Awesome!

So glad to see desktop-class browsing, Safari with a download manager, font support, and external storage support! They've been so stubborn about these things, it really is surprising to finally see them.

Sounds like a lot of photo and video editing can finally be done on an iPad... all we need is Final Cut now.

Last edited:
Reactions: hancuriang

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Looks like all that will now be possible. Although they only mentioned Lightroom in the keynote. Wonder if this will be universally accessible.

may require apps to update to use a new API, but I'm sure it will be universally accessible.

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
It's here. USB external storage connection. Goodbye MacBook for uploading content to servers.

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019
I can't believe they're adding pretty much everything I wanted!!!! Awesome!

So glad to see desktop-class browsing, Safari with a download manager, font support, and external storage support! They've been so stubborn about these things, it really is surprising to finally see them.

Sounds like a lot of photo and video editing can finally be done on an iPad... all we need is Final Cut now.

they have to, its long delayed.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
I can't believe they're adding pretty much everything I wanted!!!!

If they let you edit off the drive. Otherwise, if they are just letting you import it onto the iPad, I don't know how useful it will be.

Reactions: sracer

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Even in that case, at least I can plug in a 4TB drive with my media, browse and copy what I need and go from there. But hopefully at some point it would be great to edit off a drive, a USB-C NVMe drive will be reasonably fast.

If they let you edit off the drive. Otherwise, if they are just letting you import it onto the iPad, I don't know how useful it will be.

Reactions: rui no onna

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I’m interested to know how this works on other devices.

Usb c only? Sounds weird at least for sd cards.

Then already mention, I wonder whether on (storage) device editing is going to be possible.

I wish my Xcode beta would download faster :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.