Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I plugged in a Nucleum USB-C hub with 2 flash drives, an SD card and a USB-C SSD drive attached to it. All drives showed up in the Files app and I was able to read and write from all of them! Can't wait until apps are built that can access the the drives!

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
So just to confirm, you can put video mp4 files onto an usb lightning flash drive and they'll just play from said drive without any issues?

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
So just to confirm, you can put video mp4 files onto an usb lightning flash drive and they'll just play from said drive without any issues?

Yes. I tried it with a file I created in LumaFusion and a movie I had ripped and both played with no issues. I tried it with a copy protected kids movie I bought off of iTunes and it would not play.

Reactions: BMox81

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Can anyone try with iPad 10.5 Pro with Lightning to USB 3 adapter? Plug in your USB 3 drive in the adapter to see if it detects the drive?

Reactions: Chundles

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
IPadOs 13 on 12.9’ iPad Pro. Files isn’t loading any iCloud files. Shows loading but never loads.
Anyone know how to get SMB shares to show up or are they automatic or just not in this release.

I believe you should be able to mount SMB shares by tapping on the ellipsis button on the top of the files app and then select “Connect To Server”. Doesn’t work for me though.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I can confirm that my magic mouse is working and i can work right on the external storage

Ipados for this beta can seen everything to 2T storage
I will try another one later with 2.5T,4T is not seen

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I can confirm that my magic mouse is working and i can work right on the external storage

Ipados for this beta can seen everything to 2T storage
I will try another one later with 2.5T,4T is not seen
Can you advise what iPad you’re using and how the drive is connected?

Looking for someone with the Lightning to USB 3.0 Camera Adapter and a 10.5” iPad Pro.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Ipad mini 4 and 11” ipad pro
[doublepost=1559635162][/doublepost]I think due to the 120hz the pointer smoothness is better on the ipp

pdmpolishing

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Can you connect to network drives with the files app, also what file format does the external hard drive have to be so the iPad Pro can read the read it?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Ipad mini 4 and 11” ipad pro
[doublepost=1559635162][/doublepost]I think due to the 120hz the pointer smoothness is better on the ipp
Can you advise how you are connecting the drives to your iPad mini 4? Really interested in the specifics.

Are you using the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (with the separate port for power) or is the standard adapter working OK?

What format is the external drive?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i have a lot of usbC external storage..i will try my Samsung T5 later today, i wonder if that works too

Lnds500

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
So, are the iTunes apps faster now that they are separate? What are the benefits of killing iTunes?

Cause the UI is a joke from what I'm seeing.

EDIT: wrong thread, sorry

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I plugged in a Nucleum USB-C hub with 2 flash drives, an SD card and a USB-C SSD drive attached to it. All drives showed up in the Files app and I was able to read and write from all of them! Can't wait until apps are built that can access the the drives!

Did you install iPadOS Developer Version ?

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Does iPadOS allow multiple drives to be mounted through a USB hub? So for example, if I have a Gopro and an external SSD hooked up and I want to offload the data on my GoPro to an external (bigger) drive. Is this possible?

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Does iPadOS allow multiple drives to be mounted through a USB hub? So for example, if I have a Gopro and an external SSD hooked up and I want to offload the data on my GoPro to an external (bigger) drive. Is this possible?

Yes, obviously power limitations, but if you used a powered hub for example then definitely.

Reactions: Cloudsurfer

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I'm hoping when they update apps like VLC, they will be able to play everything, as it does now either via iTunes copy or SMB.

[doublepost=1559646470][/doublepost]Awesome! That is so cool. I'm also very curious to see what else we'll be able to do with this.

[doublepost=1559647043][/doublepost]I think this guy is using a Samsung T5

One of the first looks at the download manager! It looks like Safari on the Mac, and it looks like you can download any linked file (oh lawd!).

Reactions: Cloudsurfer

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
One of the first looks at the download manager! It looks like Safari on the Mac, and it looks like you can download any linked file (oh lawd!).

Really? My problem with the current Safari implementation on iPad is that it cannot download any files which have a download redirect i.e. if I want to download files attached to forum posts (epub, pdf etc), the forum normally creates a redirect script which redirects to the file download. The current Safari iPad will download the redirect script as a text file instead of the actual downloadable file. If iOS 13 allows this type of download to work, it would so cool!

Reactions: secretk

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2014
Question.. I have a USB C drive but a 10.5 iPad.

Could I do a lightning to USB C cord.. and browse the drive on the iPad?

Can you browse drives on the 10.5?

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
Will I be able to just AirDrop all manner of different file formats from macOS straight into local storage within Files on iPadOS?

nickosbad

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
For me the big question will be if you can store downloaded iTunes purchased movies on an external drive and play them from the drive on the iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.