Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I wonder if this functionality exists on previous iPad Pros and the other iPads. I suppose they could use the lightning to USB adapter, but if I'm not mistaken, only the Pros are USB 3, so the rest would be painfully slow.
[doublepost=1559595575][/doublepost]I think we'll have to wait to see all the details, but I'm hopeful because there's a download manager in Safari and you will be able to install fonts... this seems to indicate that the file system has opened up significantly.

cant you open those photos (transferred externally to ipad) via apps like adobe or others?

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Tried 4tb WD passport, couldn’t see it :(

Tried Sandisk 128gb usb 3.0 stick - worked fine :)

Full access, read/write everything. This was exfat formatted.

I couldn’t see the drive in apps, via the ‘browse’/ document picker. I expect apps will need to be updated to iOS 13 to see it. Will try getting something to read from an app later :D

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Maybe the 4tb didn't show up because it requires too much power? I think they make cables that have a second connector for power

Tried 4tb WD passport, couldn’t see it :(

Tried Sandisk 128gb usb 3.0 stick - worked fine :)

Full access, read/write everything. This was exfat formatted.

I couldn’t see the drive in apps, via the ‘browse’/ document picker. I expect apps will need to be updated to iOS 13 to see it. Will try getting something to read from an app later :D

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Maybe the 4tb didn't show up because it requires too much power? I think they make cables that have a second connector for power

Yeah that’s a possibility, though it did spin up. Would need to try a powered dock, not sure I have one lying around.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

That was my thought. I am ecstatic that you can read and write from external storage! Overcomes one of my biggest gripes about iOS.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I think the 4TB did not show up because its probably formatted HFS+. I think somewhere online someone tested and HFS+ drives do not show up, but ExFAT does and I'm guess APFS will show up too.

Anybody test Lightning to USB adapters? How about the Lightning to SD card readers, do they now show up in Files?

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I think the 4TB did not show up because its probably formatted HFS+. I think somewhere online someone tested and HFS+ drives do not show up, but ExFAT does and I'm guess APFS will show up too.

Anybody test Lightning to USB adapters? How about the Lightning to SD card readers, do they now show up in Files?
The drive was exfat ;)

I thinking it’s power related. Maybe.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
That’s it. iPad 10.5 is in return window. I got 256 for only $432. But taking it back and getting the 11 inch 64gb. Wish 10.5 had USB C.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

Hey OP, could you edit the title of the thread just to make this the official File System thread of iPadOS?
Because we are no longer asking for chances, we can already test it.
[doublepost=1559607866][/doublepost]

On the other hand, anyone has tried the write and read capabilities of the new iPadOS on external storage?

Is it read only?
Does it allow to write onto it? (Meaning, it’s both read and write)

I guess it only allows APFS drives... but a bit of light on this would be appreciated, could I read a NTFS drive just like on Mac?

Thank you all.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Edited the title, hope it works for you!

I can't wait to see how updated apps work with external storage, and to see if those apps can access external storage.

Hey OP, could you edit the title of the thread just to make this the official File System thread of iPadOS?

On the other hand, anyone has tried the write and read capabilities of the new iPadOS on external storage?

Is it read only?

I guess it only allows APFS drives... but a bit of light on this would be appreciated, could I read a NTFS drive just like on Mac?

Thank you all.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Thank you OP!

I just installed iPadOS beta on my iPad Pro. I plugged in my Samsung portable SSD and the iPad immediately saw it. I transferred some files back forth with no problems!! I love it!

So back and forth, I assume it means it supports both reading and writing on external storage. Great.

Now we just have to know which file systems can iPadOS read, I assume it just writes on APFS and maybe HFS+, but I’m interested to know if you can just read from an NTFS formatted hard drive just like on Mac, or even reading an exfat hard drive.

Thank you all!
[doublepost=1559616078][/doublepost]
Which iPad Pro?

Well, your question is relevant. We assume USB-C iPad Pro (2018) works well with external storage. But I’ve been told that with a lightning to USB/SDcard adaptor, you can actually do the same. Hell, they even state that the external storage is even working on iOS (iPhone). I’m not confirming anything, just saying what I’ve been told to.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thank you OP!

So back and forth, I assume it means it supports both reading and writing on external storage. Great.

Now we just have to know which file systems can iPadOS read, I assume it just writes on APFS and maybe HFS+, but I’m interested to know if you can just read from an NTFS formatted hard drive just like on Mac, or even reading an exfat hard drive.

Thank you all!
[doublepost=1559616078][/doublepost]

Well, your question is relevant. We assume USB-C iPad Pro (2018) works well with external storage. But I’ve been told that with a lightning to USB/SDcard adaptor, you can actually do the same. Hell, they even state that the external storage is even working on iOS (iPhone). I’m not confirming anything, just saying what I’ve been told to.

Over on Reddit, a poster said "I just tried my lightning to SD card reader and it opens up in the Files app". He is using an original 12.9" Pro.

Reactions: rui no onna

rsg1010

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2014
12.9 3rd generation in my signature. I used a USB-c to USB-c cable since the Samsung supports it. The Samsung is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

That is great to hear! Can you read and write any file formats from your external drive? I wonder if it can playback video files without transferring the file from the external drive into the iPad.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Over on Reddit, a poster said "I just tried my lightning to SD card reader and it opens up in the Files app". He is using an original 12.9" Pro.

Great. That is what I wanted to know. Thanks for posting!

P.S. I was actually considering trade in my 10.5 iPad Pro for 11 inch one... Because I thought only iPad with USB C would support external storage. Looks like I am going to keep my 10.5 iPar Pro for little bit.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
This would be a huge development. I want to keep my recently cheaply purchased 10.5. But also want to be able to use external drives.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
IPadOs 13 on 12.9’ iPad Pro. Files isn’t loading any iCloud files. Shows loading but never loads.
Anyone know how to get SMB shares to show up or are they automatic or just not in this release.
[doublepost=1559621710][/doublepost]

I just plugged in a usb I had in my pocket and files showed them. Was able to copy files to and from other locations
[doublepost=1559621785][/doublepost]I cannot however see any of my iCloud files. Says loading but nothing yet.

Scorcher

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
Hi OP. Great news about being able to read/ write on external storage. Could you check if you can copy video files ( like movies) from external storage to files, and play it from there?

Reactions: Populus

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

Is it read only?

Thank you all.

I tried formatting a USB drive using NTFS and the iPad shows a Contents not Available error. I was able to read and write to it when it was formatted with exFAT.
[doublepost=1559625491][/doublepost]
Hi OP. Great news about being able to read/ write on external storage. Could you check if you can copy video files ( like movies) from external storage to files, and play it from there?

I copied a video file to a 500GB external SSD and was able to play the file back directly from the drive (with no power on the drive either). Very happy with that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.