Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would have thought that phones capable of powering other phones (eg Huawei P30) were also capable of powering themselves in this situation. But you’re right that could be a factor.
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to connect one android phone to another via USB on the go? That would be the same sort of thing as this I suppose.

Enrico

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Milano / Roma
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to connect one android phone to another via USB on the go? That would be the same sort of thing as this I suppose.

Has anyone been able to connect a camera directly to the iPad?
I'm connecting my Fuji with a Lightning to USB-C cable but it's not showing up in Files app :(

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Has anyone tested out lightning flash drives (such as Sandisk's iXpand) in the new files app?
I saw a YouTube video review which said his Lightning flash drive did not work through Files, just its own app. In contrast, regular flash drives worked through the Files app in the same setup.

flyespresso

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Has anyone tried copying from one external drive to another?

(Obviously need a USB hub. I know multiple drives show up, that's been confirmed! Just copying from one external to another without having to go through the iPad's internal hasn't been mentioned. Use Case: Photo + Video storage backup, I might have 1TB of data, but an iPad that's only 256 GB, so I need to go from Drive A -> Drive B without have to do two copy transfers Drive A -> Internal SSD -> Drive B)

I got the new MBP 13" two weeks ago, but I'm seriously considering taking it back and using my iPad Pro 11" instead. The one reason that had me migrate back to Macbook + iPad instead of iMac + iPad was the storage situation. No way to backup photos / video taken without internet! Now though, if I can keep working items on the iPad, and have two external drives (main/backup) I'd be in a dream!

If someone can try it today I'd appreciate it! So I know if I need to run back to the apple store and return the MacBook :p

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Has anyone tried a Samsung T5 external USB-C SSD connected directly to a Lightning iPad Pro via a USB-C to Lightning cable?

Or will it work only through Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with additional power pass-through?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Last edited:
Reactions: EugW

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Has anyone tried copying from one external drive to another?

(Obviously need a USB hub. I know multiple drives show up, that's been confirmed! Just copying from one external to another without having to go through the iPad's internal hasn't been mentioned. Use Case: Photo + Video storage backup, I might have 1TB of data, but an iPad that's only 256 GB, so I need to go from Drive A -> Drive B without have to do two copy transfers Drive A -> Internal SSD -> Drive B)

I got the new MBP 13" two weeks ago, but I'm seriously considering taking it back and using my iPad Pro 11" instead. The one reason that had me migrate back to Macbook + iPad instead of iMac + iPad was the storage situation. No way to backup photos / video taken without internet! Now though, if I can keep working items on the iPad, and have two external drives (main/backup) I'd be in a dream!

If someone can try it today I'd appreciate it! So I know if I need to run back to the apple store and return the MacBook :p

Yes you can. I just tried it on my iPad using a USB-C hub.

Reactions: Cloudsurfer

flyespresso

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Yes you can. I just tried it on my iPad using a USB-C hub.

Well now, maybe I'll be ordering two USBC SSD's on top of the already super speedy internal storage of an iPad... If only we had a more robust photo catalog app–oh wait Pixelmator Photo will likely go wild with this development!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
If only we had a more robust photo catalog app–oh wait Pixelmator Photo will likely go wild with this development!

Pixelmator Photo isn’t that app as you can only work on images imported into the app. Having said that, their current beta supports the share sheet from Photos so you can use that for photo management with with easy access to Pixelmator Photo’s editing tools. I know Photos has improved editing tools in iOS 13 but not sure if management tools have had any love or not.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I know a lot of people don't like Adobe because of the subscriptions. but I am really curious to see full blown Photoshop on the iPad and whatever improvements, if any, they add to Lightroom.

Reactions: PerfectDB

RayB4

macrumors member
I know a lot of people don't like Adobe because of the subscriptions. but I am really curious to see full blown Photoshop on the iPad and whatever improvements, if any, they add to Lightroom.
It amuses me when people refuse to pay subscriptions. Reading forums and some of the reviews on the App Store some people get quite angry about it. But would those people be prepared to do some work for someone and when the work’s done say “No I don’t want to be paid, you can have it for free”?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I saw a YouTube video review which said his Lightning flash drive did not work through Files, just its own app. In contrast, regular flash drives worked through the Files app in the same setup.

Looks like camera connector and regular flash drive it is!

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
It amuses me when people refuse to pay subscriptions. Reading forums and some of the reviews on the App Store some people get quite angry about it. But would those people be prepared to do some work for someone and when the work’s done say “No I don’t want to be paid, you can have it for free”?

These customers might not be unwilling to pay, they probably only want to pay once like they did in the past on other platforms.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I think the point is a lot of people want to be able to plug an external drive directly into an iPad and read/write from it from any app they want.
Are you guys not able to do this with a stick? My Sandisk iXpand drive allows me to do this. I can move files and documents between my PC and iPad.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Exactly. I have a number of devices that work with my 10.5 iPP but all require the proprietary app pass-through. It works but is too inefficient for extensive use.
The other thing is that it still won’t work in iPadOS 13 without the proprietary app, so it will have less functionality for higher cost (unless they update the firmware to work via Lightning normally without the proprietary app).

It will be interesting to see if somebody creates a Lightning model that runs off Lightning port power alone yet also works with the native iPadOS 13 Files app.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The other thing is that it still won’t work in iPadOS 13 without the proprietary app, so it will have less functionality for higher cost (unless they update the firmware to work via Lightning normally without the proprietary app).

It will be interesting to see if somebody creates a Lightning model that runs off Lightning port power alone yet also works with the native iPadOS 13 Files app.

I have both of these for my 10.5 iPP that run off Lightning power alone -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741CDDQT

https://store.dji.com/product/adam-elements-sd-card-reader?set_country=us

The second one is nice in that its app is integrated with Files and has power pass-through. The app itself has very good functionality (video, etc.). I use it with a 400GB uSD card.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I have both of these for my 10.5 iPP that run off Lightning power alone -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741CDDQT

https://store.dji.com/product/adam-elements-sd-card-reader?set_country=us

The second one is nice in that its app is integrated with Files and has power pass-through. The app itself has very good functionality (video, etc.). I use it with a 400GB uSD card.
What I want is a Lightning model that works off Lightning power but that doesn't require an app.

I would imagine these won't come out until the fall, around or after when iPadOS officially launches, so now isn't a great time to buy.

Reactions: rui no onna

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
What I want is a Lightning model that works off Lightning power but that doesn't require an app.

I would imagine these won't come out until the fall, around or after when iPadOS officially launches, so now isn't a great time to buy.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes out given Apple's shift to USB-C. Is it worth developer's investment? I'll make do with what I have , the above-mentioned devices plus the powered USB 3 dongle for anything else. Since my next iPP will be USB-C, I don't want to sink any more $ into Lightning-based devices with limited life.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes out given Apple's shift to USB-C. Is it worth developer's investment? I'll make do with what I have , the above-mentioned devices plus the powered USB 3 dongle for anything else. Since my next iPP will be USB-C, I don't want to sink any more $ into Lightning-based devices with limited life.

I think it really depends on the iphone. If this years iphone swaps to usb-c, I doubt anyone is going to bother bringing out more lightning devices. If they don’t, then the window is still open.

If the iphone goes usb-c, I wonder how long till they upgrade the new iPad Air and mini to usb-c as well. These models could be stuck with lightning for another 2 years+ :/

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think it really depends on the iphone. If this years iphone swaps to usb-c, I doubt anyone is going to bother bringing out more lightning devices. If they don’t, then the window is still open.

If the iphone goes usb-c, I wonder how long till they upgrade the new iPad Air and mini to usb-c as well. These models could be stuck with lightning for another 2 years+ :/
The rumours suggest Lightning for 2019, which makes sense since they are likely mainly just rehashed 4G LTE models.

Interestingly though, some rumours say that while they are Lightning, the OLED models will come with a Lightning to USB-C cable and USB-C charger:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/22/2019-iphone-18w-charger/

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The rumours suggest Lightning for 2019, which makes sense since they are likely mainly just rehashed 4G LTE models.

Interestingly though, some rumours say that while they are Lightning, the OLED models will come with a Lightning to USB-C cable and USB-C charger:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/22/2019-iphone-18w-charger/

Nice - Apple can keep making users buy multiple accessories for the different interfaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.