Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The new file system on iPad OS is on iOS 13 as well. So the only thing restraining the iPhone from being as capable as an iPad, is essentially the reduced screen.

Imagine the day when the screen size adapts automatically to external displays. It will be great for iPad Pro users, sure, because apps will take advantage of a bigger screen. But imagine how this could affect future iPhones. And here is where the USB-C connector for iPhones comes into play.

With this situation, just connecting your iPhone to a dock, on your desk, could unfold a whole new operative system (I like to call it Dock OS) which enables you to use your apps and documents on your iPhone, with a mouse and a keyboard using an external screen.

This is the future of computing, pocket computers that you can use, eventually, as a telephone or as a photo camera.

Reactions: harriska2

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The new file system on iPad OS is on iOS 13 as well. So the only thing restraining the iPhone from being as capable as an iPad, is essentially the reduced screen.
No. iOS 13 is nowhere near as robust as iPadOS 13 for real desktop-like use. Not even close. It's not just the screen size per se, but the fact that many of those extra features are simply not supported on iOS 13.

DarkIcarus

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2016
No. iOS 13 is nowhere near as robust as iPadOS 13 for real desktop-like use. Not even close. It's not just the screen size per se, but the fact that many of those extra features are simply not supported on iOS 13.

Actually a lot of the features shown in the iPadOS segment of WWDC 2019 are on iOS 13 as well. Like Safari download manager, fonts, external drive support, etc. The main things iPadOS has different is widgets on home screen, multiply apps in slider, spilt view, sidecar, etc. So the previous poster was correct in saying in the future you could imagine plugging an iPhone into an external display and it being very functional is not that unreasonable.

Here’s a link to the features iOS 13 has: https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13-preview/features/

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus

stooie3000

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Yes it can. I have a Kingston powered Nucleum USB-C hub plugged into my 12.9 iPad Pro and have a monitor connected via an HDMI cable, a thumb drive, an SD card and an external SSD all connected at the same time with full access to everything, all while using a Bluetooth mouse.

This is great news, thanks for confirming!

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
I’m curious to find out whether it’s possible to do video editing of files that are still on an attached usb/hard drive? So work on them right on the portable storage.

Or do the files have to be copied to the iPad?

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I’m curious to find out whether it’s possible to do video editing of files that are still on an attached usb/hard drive? So work on them right on the portable storage.

Or do the files have to be copied to the iPad?

It should be possible once apps are updated. Right now, no app can access the external storage as they haven’t been built against iOS 13. Some betas may have started to come out now, but I find it unlikely.

Reactions: Still100

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I forgot which thread I complained about this in, but I was wrong about not being able to force a folder and contents to download. By "pinning" the folder in iOS 13 and Catalina you can force the folder contents to download. I also tested adding a file on a different system and it downloaded fine on my iPad.

Reactions: rui no onna

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
It should be possible once apps are updated. Right now, no app can access the external storage as they haven’t been built against iOS 13. Some betas may have started to come out now, but I find it unlikely.

Being able to edit video and photo from external storage would be a huge step forward for the iPad.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Being able to edit video and photo from external storage would be a huge step forward for the iPad.

It really would. It might even allow me to switch over to using LumaFusion for most of my video editing (especially when 2.0 is released on Monday!).

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
It amuses me when people refuse to pay subscriptions. Reading forums and some of the reviews on the App Store some people get quite angry about it. But would those people be prepared to do some work for someone and when the work’s done say “No I don’t want to be paid, you can have it for free”?

What? So i should be paying the company that built my house forever? No. Now if that company comes by and shows me a new garage and I think I need it then I’ll pay for the garage. But I’m not paying a subscription to them. Certainly not to a software company. Unless of course they work hard and developed features that I want. Then I’ll willing pay once for those features. Subscriptions can (not all) make companies lazy.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
What? So i should be paying the company that built my house forever? No. Now if that company comes by and shows me a new garage and I think I need it then I’ll pay for the garage. But I’m not paying a subscription to them. Certainly not to a software company. Unless of course they work hard and developed features that I want. Then I’ll willing pay once for those features. Subscriptions can (not all) make companies lazy.

I have a couple of software subscriptions that I do not mind paying for - Office 365 family and Adobe Photography plan.

Since my wife and I both use Office for work and my 3 kids use it in school, it's an easy choice for me, especially with the 1 TB of storage per account. I have managed to get it for $60 a year for the past 3 years by picking up deals on Amazon (usually Black Friday). $1 per month per user is more than fair for what I get.

Adobe seems to be the company that I hear most of the complaints about for subscriptions. I have the Photography plan for $9.99 a month since I heavily use Lightroom and Photoshop and I am spending less now than I did on upgrades. There are alternatives, but none of them have come close to enticing me to leave. Programs like Capture One cost more if you regularly upgrade than Adobe charges me. Why convert? If some other DAM fit my workflow and didn't require an upgrade I'd look at it but I haven't seen anything yet.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Unless of course they work hard and developed features that I want. Then I’ll willing pay once for those features. Subscriptions can (not all) make companies lazy.

There are two apps I subscribe to: Ulysses and Drafts. Each give me something for my value, and the subscription helps fund development. Both apps deliver decent updates several times a year.

However, for something like a calculator app, no, I won't pay a sub for that.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
There are two apps I subscribe to: Ulysses and Drafts. Each give me something for my value, and the subscription helps fund development. Both apps deliver decent updates several times a year.

However, for something like a calculator app, no, I won't pay a sub for that.

Funding development (and sales, and support, and the rest of a companies operations) is something not a lot of people take into consideration about software. Money has to come from somewhere, whether it is new licenses, upgrades or subscriptions. A company won't last long without collecting that money in one of those ways.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Ritte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I’m not able to mount my 2TB exFAT disk. Even tried with the iPad connected to a power source.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I’m not able to mount my 2TB exFAT disk. Even tried with the iPad connected to a power source.

Did you try plugging in a second disk?

I couldn’t get it to see my 4tb exfat - but after plugging a flash drive to another USB port, it mounted both. Clearly a bug...and this workaround requires a hub with more than one port.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I forgot which thread I complained about this in, but I was wrong about not being able to force a folder and contents to download. By "pinning" the folder in iOS 13 and Catalina you can force the folder contents to download. I also tested adding a file on a different system and it downloaded fine on my iPad.
What do you mean by "pinning"?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What do you mean by "pinning"?
148BA795-0326-4D34-9840-B97D35FAA06C.jpeg

He means this.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
So, if I understand it right, this is a new option in iOS 13? That would mean you can make an iCloud folder available offline in iPad?

Yes. I tested this with my Pages folder and it was available offline. As a bonus, it automatically pinned new documents that folder without needing to do anything.

This also works on macOS 10.15 as well.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I noticed with Beta 6 I can no longer Pin files and folders. Hoping it makes a speedy return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.