Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
This is a problem with iOS 16 as I don't recall it in 15. Every time I go to sync my Mac with my iPhone, it asks me to enter the passcode, even if the phone is unlocked. Anyone have a fix for this?

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
I’m afraid Apple did this on purpose to push iCloud backups and subscriptions.
I must admit I had that thought too. There's already so much friction doing any kind of backup or file transfer over a wired connection and WiFi works about 1 time in 10. Pretty sure that only iCloud continues to be seamless. Well I'll just keep dealing with it because I'm not going to join Apple's services club.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
I believe this may be an intentional change to temporarily avoid a security issue, which otherwise hadn't been fixed yet: https://theevilbit.github.io/posts/cve-2022-32929/ (as shown in the blog post and embedded Twitter thread linked earlier)

> The issue is that an attacker can invoke the `AppleMobileBackup` utility and make a backup to a custom location. Thus completely bypassing the protected backup location.

The issue was "fixed" on the macOS side by updating the binary to not support this behavior, but the problem is that you can still swap in a binary from an older version of macOS to get around this.

So, presumably, the problem is blocked from the iOS side now until the issue is resolved from the iOS side to make the older macOS binaries not work with newer iOS. I think it's safe to assume there wasn't time to fix this fully (since it needs to behave differently depending on the version of macOS making the request to avoid making older Macs entirely incompatible despite the prompt) and therefore the fix is temporary, but it would be a shame if it was permanent.

Reactions: ric_d

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I’m afraid Apple did this on purpose to push iCloud backups and subscriptions.
I suspect this was done to break GreyKey and Cellebrite devices from harvesting your private data without your permission. This change means that LE can no longer use a device you previously trusted, like your personal Mac, or the key negotiated between devices to extract a backup from your other devices to decrypt and feed into a GK or Cellebrite box.

droplink

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2014
Ping. Adding myself to the unsatisfied list.
This is so bloody annoying. In the latest Ventura update, the notification of "cannot initiate back up" is a popup message that interrupts you, not just a small notification in the Finder.

Does Apple still fix bugs, or is it passe?

jonh229

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2013
I’ve actually been thinking of changing my 8 char iPhone pw back to a much simpler quick pw. Stuff on my mobile devices is not especially sensitive.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
So the passcode requirement is to mitigate a security vulnerability and we’ll need to wait for the underlying security issue to be resolved before we can backup without passcode.

Reactions: xpxp2002

m_emelchenkov

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
It looks like Apple don't consider that people uses their Macbooks with their iPhones. Or Macbook + Android, or iPhone + Windows.

Reactions: gank41

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
I understand prompting you whenever you plug in your device. It might not be you plugging it in, you know? But then it will prompt you again if you attempt a backup or iOS update. No reason to be prompted more than once... it can't be that hard of a fix.

Reactions: gank41

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
I understand prompting you whenever you plug in your device. It might not be you plugging it in, you know? But then it will prompt you again if you attempt a backup or iOS update. No reason to be prompted more than once... it can't be that hard of a fix.
I suspect that’s because it isn’t just via a cable that you can do a backup. So at the minute it’s defaulting to always asking for the passcode/word whenever a backup is triggered, regardless of whether it is via wired or wireless.

It’ll go away once there’s a fix for the wireless backup, which I believe was the problem in the first place.

d4zza

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Are you using a wired connection?

Under the Face-ID and Passcode section of Settings there is a USB Accessories setting that is disabled by default. This is a security feature that locks out the port if your phone has been locked for an hour. This is to prevent access if somebody gets hold of your phone. I leave mine disabled (ie locked out).

Thank you. Whilst not the worst problem even in first world problems, it is a small thorn removed from my daily life!

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
Still not fixed as if 16.5.1.

I think they're intentionally trying to make physically connecting your phone annoying.

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
I don't know... I'm fine with them asking when I first plug it in each time so it knows its me. But that should be it! It asks when you try to backup or update. If you're like me and prefer to update through Finder, it's annoying because it used to be you could just click "update" and walk away. Now, if you don't watch it vigilantly, it will fail. You have to watch it for both the automatic backup it does before updating AND when it tries to initiate the actual update. If you don't enter your passcode soon enough, the update fails.

I don't understand why it can't just ask only when you first make the physical connection.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
I don't know... I'm fine with them asking when I first plug it in each time so it knows its me. But that should be it! It asks when you try to backup or update. If you're like me and prefer to update through Finder, it's annoying because it used to be you could just click "update" and walk away. Now, if you don't watch it vigilantly, it will fail. You have to watch it for both the automatic backup it does before updating AND when it tries to initiate the actual update. If you don't enter your passcode soon enough, the update fails.

I don't understand why it can't just ask only when you first make the physical connection.
That’s the thing that Apple still needs to fix…

droplink

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2014
I also still do not understand why the message on the phone is "Trust this computer"
Like; which computer? It could be the neighbour's computer for all I know. Why is the computer's name not displayed?

Reactions: klasma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.