Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you go back to Mavericks?

• Yes

Votes: 62 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 74 54.4%

• Total voters

mikey88772

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
MODS, IF I DID GET THE LOCATION FOR THE THREAD WRONG, PLEASE PUT IT IN THE RIGHT PLACE.
Hey, everyone.
I am making this thread to see who wants to go back to OS X Mavericks in 2017.
My reason for this is how it looks. While I was for the new design back for iOS 7, I just never grew on to the design with Yosemite/macOS Sierra. Thank god I have a MacBook which I can downgrade to Mavericks.

Does anyone have the same feeling? Is anyone still on Mavericks? I want to know.

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
MODS, IF I DID GET THE LOCATION FOR THE THREAD WRONG, PLEASE PUT IT IN THE RIGHT PLACE.
Hey, everyone.
I am making this thread to see who wants to go back to OS X Mavericks in 2017.
My reason for this is how it looks. While I was for the new design back for iOS 7, I just never grew on to the design with Yosemite/macOS Sierra. Thank god I have a MacBook which I can downgrade to Mavericks.

Does anyone have the same feeling? Is anyone still on Mavericks? I want to know.

I am still on Mavericks.

I did an installation of macOS Sierra last week due to Xcode, but for most of the time I use my Mavericks partition.

Mavericks is so zen. The grey is so much more pleasing to the eyes. No white buttons, I love it
Glossy traffic lights and the aqua blue buttons are just enough remnant of the old Aqua-Style of the old days. It doesn't look tacky, rather fresh.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I am still on Mavericks. I tried Yosemite on my MBP and it was just awful, I then tried El Cap. and although it was an improvement over Yosemite it still did not compare to the snappy response I get from my Mavericks installation. I am now firmly back with Mavericks with no intention of moving anytime soon. I also hated the new UI.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I've just read that BetterTouchTool already stopped its app updates for Mavericks and forever stuck at v2.05... :(

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
I loved Mavericks and consider going back every now and then, but don't you guys worry about security issues since 10.9 is no longer updated by Apple?

Reactions: martyjmclean

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I really don't see the point why people refuse to upgrade. Whether you like it or not over time your computer (or phone for that matter) will become less safe as security updates are stopped, you miss out on any new features which can be mighty handy (even if you don't like them all), and ultimately your computer becomes less useful as new apps eventually cut support for old operating systems. You might not like everything about an update but ultimately resistance is futile, you'll just get left behind.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I really don't see the point why people refuse to upgrade. Whether you like it or not over time your computer (or phone for that matter) will become less safe as security updates are stopped, you miss out on any new features which can be mighty handy (even if you don't like them all), and ultimately your computer becomes less useful as new apps eventually cut support for old operating systems. You might not like everything about an update but ultimately resistance is futile, you'll just get left behind.

One good reason: Third party software.

In my case several reasons:
1. I need software that is very expensive to update to latest version and older version isn't compatible with the latest OS.
2. Show stopping bugs in the latest OS, such as PDFKit in Sierra. I won't update my main Mac until I'm 100% certain PDFKit bugs are fixed.
3. Many bugs in the OS have been for years and looks like Apple isn't going to fix them (Finder, Mac App Store with its astonishingly buggy software update etc.)
4. Removal of features from software such as Disk Utility, System Preferences, Image capture etc. It seems Apple thinks Terminal is suitable replacement for GUI!

I'm not saying all the new features are pointless, for instance I'm cautiously optimistic regarding APFS filesystem but I'm no longer certain that the direction Apple has chosen for macOS is beneficial for my needs.

Reactions: Snowlover

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I'm no longer certain that the direction Apple has chosen for macOS is beneficial for my needs.

Time to consider migrating away from a macOS then. Perhaps another OS will fit your workflow better?

It's still pointless to forever refuse an upgrade, you might as well be rocking a typewriter. Computers with their continual advancements and evolution have made the world so much more efficient and are the reason global productivity and wealth has continued to increase.

Some people just don't like change. As I age I'm determined to keep pace and not fall behind as the world moves on, because it's going to happen regardless.

It's a philosophy.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
If you like Mavericks, just go back to it or keep using it.

No one is forcing you to use anything newer.

Use what YOU like and what works best for YOU...

I think the bigger comment is: Apple should stop unnecessarily trying to reinvent and stripping away pixels just to be different. That was and still is Windows' disease.

Still on Mavericks here. Detest the new appearance and lack of lickable buttons.
[doublepost=1488012315][/doublepost]
4. Removal of features from software such as Disk Utility, System Preferences, Image capture etc. It seems Apple thinks Terminal is suitable replacement for GUI!

Apple got rid of disk utility?? I'm still on mavericks so I don't know what's currently out there.

danbcooper

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2015
I was using Mavericks until today.. I had to update because I'm learning Swift with Xcode. I'm thinking on buying an old macbook pro to install macOS and Xcode on that one and keep Mavericks on my main computer.. It's so much faster and the UI is straight up better.

Reactions: Tozovac

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I was using Mavericks until today.. I had to update because I'm learning Swift with Xcode. I'm thinking on buying an old macbook pro to install macOS and Xcode on that one and keep Mavericks on my main computer.. It's so much faster and the UI is straight up better.

JONY IVE AND TIM COOK ARE YOU READING POSTS LIKE THIS???? ENOUGH WITH THE FISHER PRICE DUMBED DOWN INTERFACES. STOP WITH ALL THE WASTED WHITE SPACE AND BRING BACK BUTTONS THAT LOOK LIKE BUTTONS SO WE STOP HAVING TO SWIPE AND GUESS CONSTANTLY, OR WE'LL REMOVE THE HANDLES FROM YOUR REFRIGERATORS (AS WELL AS SWAP HINGE LOCATIONS RANDOMLY) AND REMOVE ALL BUT ONE SHELF SO YOU CAN ENJOY INCREASED DISCOVERY TIME AND LOTS OF WHITE SPACE IN PLACE OF EFFICIENTLY ENJOYING YOUR DEVICE. (WE'LL EVEN SWAP EVERY PIECE OF PAPER IN YOUR OFFICE WITH SEE-THRU TRANSLUCENT SHEETS SO YOU GAIN CONTEXT OF PLACEMENT AND DONT FRIGHTENINGLY FORGET THERE'S A DESK UNDERNEATH). WITH EVERY 20,000 ENGINEERING HOURS YOU SPEND DEVELOPING A NEW THIN GREY FONT WITH IMAGINED 5% IMPROVED READABILITY, YOU TAKE APPLE BACKWARDS SOME 75% AWAY FROM WHAT WAS ONCE GREATNESS!! STOP WASTING RESOURCES MAKING STORES LOOK LIKE SAKS FIFTH AVENUES (LINK) AND REFOCUS ENERGY ON BRINGING BACK UI'S THAT ARE A JOY TO WORK WITH AGAIN!! SO PLEASE QUIT IT!! OR JUST PLEASE QUIT APPLE!! AND TAKE ALL YOUR DONGLES WITH YOU!!

Last edited:

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
The irony that you style your post like dumbed down Fisher Price text is not lost on me. Not deliberate I'm sure.

And no, they're not reading it.

I believe you meant to say "Deliberate I'm sure," and then you would be correct. :)

I do though agree they're not reading it. Based on what I've experienced since being an Apple user since 2005, it's so sadly unfortunate that it appears NOBODY at Apple has ever read or listened to what customers wanted but instead produce what they think is best for Apple. That's a pretty ok strategy when they were led by someone who pretty well knew 95% what customers wanted and produced things that would "just work," but it's been downright awful now that Apple's led by a someone who's clueless about design and who allows a selfish design king to deliver whatever he chooses that follows his personal minimalist credo, even if it too often "works not so easily and looks less good.".

Minimalism and uber simplicity are great when used smartly and not en masse. Imagine expansive gray granite steps leading up to a museum, which are absolutely uniform and simply flat for good function and maybe intentionally even to serve as a respectfully simple outside casing ahead of the amazing contents that await within. But once you open up into the museum, it better be well be full of colors and textures and creativity and slick use of light and darkness that's organized in a smart fashion to allow efficient walking and access...it better not be just a bunch of round, frameless objects of varying off-white shades on white walls, where rooms are separated by invisible glass doors that users too often have to bump into and feel around in order to figure out how to open them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Josiana and rishadq

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but instead produce what they think is best for Apple
Actually they do what they think best for the consumers. They've had a great string of successes because they didn't use focus groups or any of that sort. They knew what they wanted to product.

Apple's led by a someone who's clueless about design
Most CEOs are clueless about design.

who allows a selfish design king to deliver whatever he chooses that follows his personal minimalist credo,
Given how great his designs have been, I think relying on his chief design officer, is a smart move by Cook.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Actually they do what they think best for the consumers. They've had a great string of successes because they didn't use focus groups or any of that sort. They knew what they wanted to product.

Most CEOs are clueless about design.

Given how great his designs have been, I think relying on his chief design officer, is a smart move by Cook.

This is America, and opinions are allowed. :)

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Still on 10.9 . Tried later versions and went back . El Cap seemed to run OK for me , but couldn't stand the 'Fisher-Price" interface ( thanks for the description @Tozovac) . I just found it to be visually irritating , plus none of the other 'features' were worth anything to me , so might as well keep with what I find usable as long as possible . Still making bootable installer sticks of all the later versions , 'cause ya never know...

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
The same way everyone adapted to Mavericks, is gonna be the same way they will adapt to the new design and once a new re-design comes everyone will complain that it's ugly and say "Hey, macOS looked so great on Yosemite/El Cap/Sierra "insert name here".

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Since 2013, I've been waiting for anybody to give a good reason why some things have to change so drastically (besides Marketing). I was so impressed with my first Apple computer in 2005 after using only Microsoft since 1990, as Apple had a great OS that was SO much better than Windows and would amazingly stick with an OS that just worked, easing in refinements as needed. It really underscored the amateurism and "lost path" of Microsoft who kowtowed to complete reinvention every couple of years, never really producing anything better but just different, and to me being a complete acknowledgment of utter failure in their prior Windows OS. Apple could get away with maintaining this path of "constancy" when they were led by a great leader with unwaveringly great design sense and while Apple was still an underdog where the consumer had no idea what was coming at them with this great new stuff that was so different than Microsoft and so better. But unfortunately, as Apple got bigger and more loud customers arrived, the unavoidable nature of humanity to start critiquing at things they once loved started getting to the amateurish management and marketing groups after 2012 or so, where they cherry picked what they listened to from customers, giving in to those with ADD who need new eye candy every few years.

As many have said, I too find the interfaces after Mavericks way too distracting to tolerate getting work done on them. Too many interface elements that should be designed for intuitive use are assigned too much over-thought fashion for the sake of change, and are just too distractively aggravating to me personally.

Amazingly, a lot of the gripes by me and many others here could be solved by merely providing at least two interfaces: one can keep the current focus on consistency of appearance to Jony's personal selfish taste, and one would reflect UI elements closer to Apple's UI philosophy before 2003 that focused on good function first. Even windows offers choices for interface appearance, for goodness sake. :) The best Jony Ive can offer is Invert Colors within Accessibility functions, as if users with a certain taste/preference are handicapped (talking iOS, I know)? Just disappointing.
[doublepost=1488119370][/doublepost]
Ok, and what does that have to do with my post o_O

I meant: Your opinions are allowed, even if they are bad opinions. :)

I mean that mostly in jest, and hope that comes across as the respectful jabbing it's meant to be. I just so no longer enjoy using my Apple items since 2013, but unfortunately I still think they are better than windows and android so I have no choice but to stick around. They are just not as good as they were before 2013.
[doublepost=1488120145][/doublepost]
The same way everyone adapted to Mavericks, is gonna be the same way they will adapt to the new design and once a new re-design comes everyone will complain that it's ugly and say "Hey, macOS looked so great on Yosemite/El Cap/Sierra "insert name here".

When you say adapted to Mavericks, what do you mean exactly? Any leap by Mavericks from the prior OS was not nearly as large as the redesign leaps after Mavericks. I consider Mavericks to be a refinement on top of everything prior, as opposed to everything after Mavericks which started the dumbed down appearance/function phase.

My comments, and those of many others above, are not so much focused on Looks but the bigger picture overall function, for which appearance plays an unavoidably major role.

And again, I'm waiting for someone to tell me why an OS needs a major redesign at all once a truly great system is in place, other than pressure by Marketing. When has anyone gotten tired of walking on feet and switched to walking on hands? Why haven't bricklayers switched to round bricks, for something different? :) Isn't it better just to keep being offered improved shoes over time, instead of walking into the shoe store one day and seeing only options for hand-shoes? Time for me to go get some coffee, thankful that Jony Ive hasn't reinvented brown coffee beans into gray purée. :)

Last edited:

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Apple got rid of disk utility?? I'm still on mavericks so I don't know what's currently out there.

Not exactly got rid of but in El Capitan Disk Utility is very limited compared to previous versions. I suspect Apple got lots of negative feedback because it is partially fixed in Sierra (for instance RAID support is back).

Time to consider migrating away from a macOS then. Perhaps another OS will fit your workflow better?

Thats why I have been testing different Linux and BSD versions, at the moment my plan is to wait until APFS is released so I can test it properly before I make my final decision.

Reactions: Tozovac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.