Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you go back to Mavericks?

• Yes

Votes: 62 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 74 54.4%

• Total voters

tagman

Suspended
Feb 27, 2017
I hate the new font from elcapitan onward. It looks OK if your on a retina display, but it looks terrible on any other display. It's very blurry. Also, disk utility has been dumbed down. The colors are horrible, as others described, and look more at home on a fisher price product.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I was extremely unhappy with Yosemite and went back to Mavericks. I was extremely pleased with El Capitan and upgraded to it once the first stable version was out, although I prefer the GUI of Mountain Lion and Mavericks over it. I'll use El Capitan for a while on all of the computers except the one that came with Sierra installed. I still have a Mavericks VM, along with every version of OS X since Leopard. It's a nice OS.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I have Snow Leopard & EL Cap installed on a partitioned drive so I can use both with just a reboot. There's not one thing I like about El Crapitan. Everything is worse. Everything. Full screen mode hardly pays for an illegible UI. Horrible.

The only reason I have el cap is to have an up to date browser. That's it.

danbcooper

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2015
Had to update to Sierra to use Xcode.. My Esc key stopped working and I found on a random forum that disabling Siri would solve it. It worked... I miss Mavericks hahaha

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I have Snow Leopard & EL Cap installed on a partitioned drive so I can use both with just a reboot. There's not one thing I like about El Crapitan. Everything is worse. Everything. Full screen mode hardly pays for an illegible UI. Horrible.

The only reason I have el cap is to have an up to date browser. That's it.

Why do you need SL for...?

I would love to go back to SL if not for iCloud and iOS 9... Mavericks is the last best OS out of Apple, and even then Notes is already dead when I accidentally updated it to conform with El Crap and iOS 9...

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
I am still on Mavericks.

I did an installation of macOS Sierra last week due to Xcode, but for most of the time I use my Mavericks partition.

Mavericks is so zen. The grey is so much more pleasing to the eyes. No white buttons, I love it
Glossy traffic lights and the aqua blue buttons are just enough remnant of the old Aqua-Style of the old days. It doesn't look tacky, rather fresh.
I use both Mavericks and Sierra daily, first being on my macbook pro and latter being on iMac. Just like what you opined, the systematic grey prior to Yosemite is much better as a hue for UI in that it feels secondary to application content no matter what level brightness is set for a device. The look is my sole reason for keeping my macbook away from later os x.
[doublepost=1489331451][/doublepost]
I believe you meant to say "Deliberate I'm sure," and then you would be correct. :)

I do though agree they're not reading it. Based on what I've experienced since being an Apple user since 2005, it's so sadly unfortunate that it appears NOBODY at Apple has ever read or listened to what customers wanted but instead produce what they think is best for Apple. That's a pretty ok strategy when they were led by someone who pretty well knew 95% what customers wanted and produced things that would "just work," but it's been downright awful now that Apple's led by a someone who's clueless about design and who allows a selfish design king to deliver whatever he chooses that follows his personal minimalist credo, even if it too often "works not so easily and looks less good.".

Minimalism and uber simplicity are great when used smartly and not en masse. Imagine expansive gray granite steps leading up to a museum, which are absolutely uniform and simply flat for good function and maybe intentionally even to serve as a respectfully simple outside casing ahead of the amazing contents that await within. But once you open up into the museum, it better be well be full of colors and textures and creativity and slick use of light and darkness that's organized in a smart fashion to allow efficient walking and access...it better not be just a bunch of round, frameless objects of varying off-white shades on white walls, where rooms are separated by invisible glass doors that users too often have to bump into and feel around in order to figure out how to open them.
Agreed wholeheartedly. And the first thing I do when starting using a new mac, be it mine or some else's, the first thing I do is go to 'system preference->accessibility->display' to make sure "reduce transparency" is checked.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I am also not a big fan of flat interface. I miss that previous design. It felt less eye straining approach. Too much translucency and too many saturated layouts are not to my taste.

I know many love those, I was not happy at all when Ive flattened everything.

Sierra runs smooth but the general feel of the OS is not even close to what I am liking. Of course, MAC OS X is still in its form my favorite OS.

But in the end it's a matter of taste. I am sure the majority is loving the flat design.
Just a few of us, poor mortals and nostalgically sad people, are still missing the old days.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
If I could go back to Mountain Lion, I'd like that. That was the last great Mac OS for me personally. Made my 2010 iMac feel like new (super fast, great to use etc).

Mavericks gave my 2010 iMac all kinds of trouble, nearly bricked it. I think it's great that folks can run it with ease though.

Am presently running Yosemite on this 2013 iMac. I tried El Cap which was a memory hog and buggy as hell in Safari. EC made my video rip/conversion software run twice as slow as Yosemite so I factory restored. At this point, I suspect I'll be on Yosemite for the life of this machine.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

EDF

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
Mavericks on a SSD and Sierra on a HDD in the optical drive. Rarely use Sierra though.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
MODS, IF I DID GET THE LOCATION FOR THE THREAD WRONG, PLEASE PUT IT IN THE RIGHT PLACE.
Hey, everyone.
I am making this thread to see who wants to go back to OS X Mavericks in 2017.
My reason for this is how it looks. While I was for the new design back for iOS 7, I just never grew on to the design with Yosemite/macOS Sierra. Thank god I have a MacBook which I can downgrade to Mavericks.

Does anyone have the same feeling? Is anyone still on Mavericks? I want to know.

I like the old OS X versions for nostalgia sake, the old icons, the lack of continuity (my definition would be how disconnected I am from all forms of synchronised media / social).

But would / could I go back? No way. My work and therefore life depends on being able to keep in sync with my files. If Sonos / Spotify one day drops support for 10.9, I'll be without music at home as well.

I'll keep 10.4.11 and 10.9 on my vintage Macs in the meantime, and earlier OS X versions on the obsolete Macs that I love but use out of nostalgia, not purpose.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I still use Mavericks since buying my laptop in 2014. Yesterday I helped my girlfriend's father who was struggling with something - he "upgraded" to Yosemite and it was the first time I'd spent more than a few minutes noodling on an OS after Mavericks.

Good God do I hate the unecessary transparent effects that make a background unreadable while doing certain actions - what if you want to still look at something in the background when you're performing a function. Also detest the unnecessary "improvements" to make the experience more iOS/mobile-like, such as using a blue underline in the address area to show page load status instead of sweep-filling the entire address with blue which is much easier to see with peripheral vision instead of having to look up and focus up at the address bar to see the small blue line for page load status....typical of Jony Ive's brave new Apple and making it harder to do what used to be easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulenspiegel

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Mavericks was good for it times and is certainly the best of the bunch amongst Lion, ML, and Yosemite. But multi screen handling in EL Cap and tabs everywhere in Sierra relegate it to my HTPC.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Security became too improved on latest OSX versions that I decided return to Mavericks. Actually, my original OS is Mountain Lion, but Mavericks is enough to get all of my audio hardware stuff working without too much driver hacks. Improved security is nice, if all you do with your laptop is browse the internet.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
1. You can’t sync iOS 11 devices on Mavericks. iTunes 12.7 won’t even install on it.

2. Safari is slower and less secure on Mavericks.

3. I think High Sierra is the best OS Apple has ever created in terms of overall feel. Responsiveness is excellent too. So much so, that I’ve even moved two unsupported Macs to High Sierra.

4. High Sierra brings file format compatibility that ALL the other OS X / macOS versions lack. You can’t sync all your iOS 11 photos and videos without High Sierra if you have an iPhone 7/8/X.

Basically, it would appear that going forward, High Sierra is going to a functional minimum for compatibility standards on macOS. Mavericks in particular though is already becoming problematic, well on its way to becoming just a legacy OS.

Last edited:

StrawberryX

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
Antwerp
I'm most productive on snow leopard.
I use it a lot, It's on my cMP 1,1 that has CS5 installed.
It drives the printers, so a lot of final editing get's done on that machine.

My cMP 3,1 has 64gig ram, USB 3.0 and a GTX 680 graphics card.
It runs on El Capitan. It's one of the main editing machines.
It has CS6 installed

The other main editing machine is a
nMP 3,7 4core, 64gig ram, TB2
It has the Adobe CC installed
I'm thinking on puting high sierra on it.
It is more used as a portable workstation.
( It's the only workstation that is connected to the web,
for security reasons, but also I waste a lot of time, if email is open or FB,
when printing, doing serious editing, color grading, ... )

We also have a 11" Air with Mavericks
and a maxed out 13" Air with Yoshimite on it.

I was dissapointed, that El Capitan just dropped support for our protools hardware.
We don't do a lot of AV. But do have some video gear and modular synthesizers.

We shoot medium format camera's mainly.
And also working with a lot of freelancers.
That could be using anything ... a lot of professionals don't work with the latest and greatest.
They could be using any macbook or macbook pro from 2008 - 2017.
I've never worked on Mavericks, but my partner does a lot of work on it.

I still have a G4 15" powerbook, with Tiger.
It love that keyboard. But It can't even play HD video.
I had a macbook pro but the graphic card got fried.
We also have a alu unibody macbook, it also has snow leopard on it,
it still get's some use. But the airs are just lighter and faster but I guess they will die faster.

I'm most happy on snow leopard and it has the least problems with all the printers.
Epsons A2 and larger.
But I don't really care, even as every new OS feels like a step backwards.
What I miss the most, are all the ports that were on the older macbooks.
The nMP is fine, but the TB enclosures are not cheap at all.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
The design changes in macOS were way more subtile than in iOS. I don’t even think of it as a break to flat design and I wouldn’t go back. Now with APFS it would be utter ridiculous to downgrade.

Reactions: Jayderek

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I'm most productive on snow leopard.
I use it a lot, It's on my cMP 1,1 that has CS5 installed.
It drives the printers, so a lot of final editing get's done on that machine.

My cMP 3,1 has 64gig ram, USB 3.0 and a GTX 680 graphics card.
It runs on El Capitan. It's one of the main editing machines.
It has CS6 installed

The other main editing machine is a
nMP 3,7 4core, 64gig ram, TB2
It has the Adobe CC installed
I'm thinking on puting high sierra on it.
It is more used as a portable workstation.
( It's the only workstation that is connected to the web,
for security reasons, but also I waste a lot of time, if email is open or FB,
when printing, doing serious editing, color grading, ... )

We also have a 11" Air with Mavericks
and a maxed out 13" Air with Yoshimite on it.

I was dissapointed, that El Capitan just dropped support for our protools hardware.
We don't do a lot of AV. But do have some video gear and modular synthesizers.

We shoot medium format camera's mainly.
And also working with a lot of freelancers.
That could be using anything ... a lot of professionals don't work with the latest and greatest.
They could be using any macbook or macbook pro from 2008 - 2017.
I've never worked on Mavericks, but my partner does a lot of work on it.

I still have a G4 15" powerbook, with Tiger.
It love that keyboard. But It can't even play HD video.
I had a macbook pro but the graphic card got fried.
We also have a alu unibody macbook, it also has snow leopard on it,
it still get's some use. But the airs are just lighter and faster but I guess they will die faster.

I'm most happy on snow leopard and it has the least problems with all the printers.
Epsons A2 and larger.
But I don't really care, even as every new OS feels like a step backwards.
What I miss the most, are all the ports that were on the older macbooks.
The nMP is fine, but the TB enclosures are not cheap at all.

Great post. Non-Apple hardware doesn't like OSX updates. This is the case with my Nikon Coolscan V or my M-Audio Fast Track Pro.
[doublepost=1506823642][/doublepost]
The design changes in macOS were way more subtile than in iOS. I don’t even think of it as a break to flat design and I wouldn’t go back. Now with APFS it would be utter ridiculous to downgrade.

This is true if you only use Apple hardware (iPhones, iPads, Macs).

nubizus

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
My reasons:
1. Better readability due to font choice.
2. Better performance - may be Objective C is more capable.
3. UX logic is brilliant - things are where they are supposed to be.
4. Depth - people don't realize that skeuomorphic approach is in texturing and imitating life in icons. The other factor is overall 2,5 dimensional UI. Things stay in logical depth on top of each other.
5. Local network. For some unknown reason my local network computers have better transfer with Mavericks.
-side note: Spotlight is working really fast. Is searching almost instantly even network mounted folders.
6. Old Photoshop CC 2015 is opening 100mpx raw photo scans like is nothing, difference compared with new PS speed is mind-bending.
7. Overall feel. Its human oriented UI design and professional sense.
8. Firefox 57 is supported. Sublime Text 3 is supported. BB edit also. Affinity Designer and Photo.
9. Security measures: Hardware firewall. Firefox addons. Little snitch 3. VPN.
10. Love aqua. Visually attractive and easy on the eyes buttons for important functions.

Future for me is very obvious:
Apple is no longer committed to desktop os at all. They see iOS (no more mac division in house, only iOS) like main computing os for Apple users. At the moment they are making laptops and all in ones mainly to address needs of developers. Mac Pro is a mythical creature from the past. In two years time we will have Xcode on iPad pro with cloud compilers, debugging and AI for help.
I personally don't like this direction. Call me Old but when i buy stuff i want it to be mine. To have full control over OS.
I am glad that Linux is here to stay.

May be someone will realize that Desktop is not so small market and will bring old HIG to commercial Linux.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I actually TRIED to go back to Snow Leopard last month, but then I realized half the goodies I run wouldn't work anymore (Looking at you, OpenEmu)

I'd give anything to have Snow Leopard's look back. You all can keep your flat play-skool look, I want my skeuomorphism back!

As a sidenote I know about turning off System Integrity Protection and changing all the apps to their classic icons, and even running cDock to change the dock back to a 3D glass one but nothing I do will change the menubar and Finder windows to the way they used to look so its a a fruitless endeavor.

(Such beauty!)

Attachments

• Snow_Leopard_Desktop.png
    Snow_Leopard_Desktop.png
    377.7 KB · Views: 279

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
My reasons:
Future for me is very obvious:
Apple is no longer committed to desktop os at all. They see iOS (no more mac division in house, only iOS) like main computing os for Apple users.

Couldn't agree more. Even Apple commercials today frighteningly joke "what's a computer?" as a girl plays with her iPad and a USB keyboard while lying on the grass outside... Good luck to anyone trying to use an iPad as a computer without benefit of a mouse and OSX-like multitasking interface... Sad, really sad to see the former Apple Computer Co tossing the computer aside... Worst of all, with Apple's focus on mobile OS, the iOS we have today is far from ideal as Jony Ive's vision of what a minimalist UI should be, at the sacrifice of all that was great before iOS7.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I know it sounds shallow, but the beautiful interface of Leopard is probably the main reason I switched from Windows.... well that, and Vista being a complete dumpster fire that corrupted my work-related files.

If OS X (thats another thing I hate, the name change!) looked back then how it does today I probably would of went "Well pfft... Macs are kiddie computers. Maybe I should research Linux or something"

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I tried to install Snow Leopard on my 2012 iMac that came pre-installed with Mavericks and I got a Kernel Panic after booting the SL disc citing that I had an incorrect CPU >.> anybody know whats up with that? I thought as long as its an Intel system it could support anything as far back as Leopard...

nubizus

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Couldn't agree more. Even Apple commercials today frighteningly joke "what's a computer?" as a girl plays with her iPad and a USB keyboard while lying on the grass outside... Good luck to anyone trying to use an iPad as a computer without benefit of a mouse and OSX-like multitasking interface... Sad, really sad to see the former Apple Computer Co tossing the computer aside... Worst of all, with Apple's focus on mobile OS, the iOS we have today is far from ideal as Jony Ive's vision of what a minimalist UI should be, at the sacrifice of all that was great before iOS7.
Jony Ive gets to much credit for literally coping Dieter Rams visual design without digging deep in 10 principles of the Master. Its evident in iOS that he approaches UI design with outside in thinking model, visual first, functional last. I never was Jobs cult follower, but the man was with vision of balance and execution. Current Apple is a fashion brand. And good design is not fashion, its function put in emotional and organic package aimed in human experience. Apple software is a mess, they are trying to fix it but is time for another clean state. Its time for Reinventing the Desktop experience and iterative steps are not going to cut it deep. They are too big to fail, and we know that failing is needed for new things to be born.
I am no longer a member of connect all tribe. I hate this mixed experience. The sad part is that we all had it coming, we know deep down inside that after Jobs absence nothing will be build and polished like before.
I plan to run my creative software on a old system for some time and than migrate what i can to Linux. We all sold our souls for function wrapped in candy and aqua, now we will pay the price.
Every beginning has an end, and every end will lead to new beginning.

Reactions: Tozovac

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Jony Ive gets to much credit for literally coping Dieter Rams visual design without digging deep in 10 principles of the Master. Its evident in iOS that he approaches UI design with outside in thinking model, visual first, functional last. I never was Jobs cult follower, but the man was with vision of balance and execution. Current Apple is a fashion brand. And good design is not fashion, its function put in emotional and organic package aimed in human experience. Apple software is a mess, they are trying to fix it but is time for another clean state. Its time for Reinventing the Desktop experience and iterative steps are not going to cut it deep. They are too big to fail, and we know that failing is needed for new things to be born.
I am no longer a member of connect all tribe. I hate this mixed experience. The sad part is that we all had it coming, we know deep down inside that after Jobs absence nothing will be build and polished like before.
I plan to run my creative software on a old system for some time and than migrate what i can to Linux. We all sold our souls for function wrapped in candy and aqua, now we will pay the price.
Every beginning has an end, and every end will lead to new beginning.

Well put. Just why does nobody at Apple with enough power to be able to do something about it recognize this snowballing ruining of the OSX/iOS experience? (if not also the hardware experience by the removal of magsafe, upgradeability, headphone jacks, USB/ports, etc).

Or does Jony have enough power and sway over Tim to eradicate anyone who disagrees with him?

How can this have gone on for so long? Doesn't anyone on the board of directors have parents who text them like my mom texts me in frustration with questions of how to do something every time each new iOS randomly reinvents something (and often for the worse...Podcasts app being the absolute worst piece of software Apple's ever put out, and that's saying something because iTunes 12 was incredibly and unnecessarily bad).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.