Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you go back to Mavericks?

• Yes

Votes: 62 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 74 54.4%

• Total voters

nubizus

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
This company is no longer Apple we know. Actually is very easy to predict directions and features. All in the name of the mighty shareholder and dollar. Someone will say: Wait those guys are billionaires, why they are abandoning everything that they stand for? Simple answer: Because the real feedback is in actual sales. They didn't become like this overnight.
First signal was killing of pro software and substituting it with "semipro" user experience. Nobody reacted. New Final Cut? What a shame. Flattening UI by coping Fu*cking Microsoft. Nothing inside OS GUI is logical now. Disk Utility is embarrassment. What is about a company that created idea of GUI doing right, when the user have to search in Google how to tutorials? And let mi state it clearly. I am professional and when the most important software for me on mac is Little Snitch something is fishy. I must protect my self from Apple? Why? Why my keyboard in High Sierra is connecting to Mother-ship ? Why my computer must callback every time when something is done? The right question is: Why i have spend so much money on things that are not satisfactory? Brand promise is the answer. But now i don't see brand delivery. So if you are sane professional you will invest in building new habits and using open source os, no shareholders involved, no leader with CFO quality and no vision. So i will use old software because it is working properly and than i will cut it from the internet. I think that lots of software companies are realizing now that Linux is future of Desktop, this year Da Vinci Resolve launched free version for Linux. I am positive that professional software will be resurrected. Not by Apple. (Recently one of my friends audio professional switched to windoze and started using Pro Tools instead of Logic.) And iMac pro is not the thing that professionals are demanding. Yes they will build pro eventually, but the prices will be over the top. Its clear for me: Apple is cannibalizing mac pro marked in the name of iphone:)

Last edited:

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
It's hard to tell when the voting stopped, but I'd be curious to see how the votes would go today if someone resurrected this poll. I am still using Mavericks. I simply can't stand the look of anything after, especially the childish stoplight buttons.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
It's hard to tell when the voting stopped, but I'd be curious to see how the votes would go today if someone resurrected this poll. I am still using Mavericks. I simply can't stand the look of anything after, especially the childish stoplight buttons.

Yeah but by Mavericks the look of Aqua was so depleted it pretty much hinged on the traffic lights still being glassy.

As a side note, what do people think of the designs they used in Mountain Lion with the leather address book and "notebook paper" notes app? Everyone here seems to defend skeuomorphism (including myself) but how far does that taste go?

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Yeah but by Mavericks the look of Aqua was so depleted it pretty much hinged on the traffic lights still being glassy.

As a side note, what do people think of the designs they used in Mountain Lion with the leather address book and "notebook paper" notes app? Everyone here seems to defend skeuomorphism (including myself) but how far does that taste go?

Me personally, I had no problem with it though I didn't "need" it and sometimes details like that felt it seemed a little kitschy. But I could live with it since everything else was so great. The Jony Ive yanked one little stray thread on the sweater and the entire nice sweater fell apart, replaced with this flat design monochromatic unintuitive abomination of an OS that crazily still is with us.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
"crazily still with us" yeah get used to it, its considered the new design language... which means "We're using it because everyone else uses it"

We have 2 options right now apart from leaving for Linux or something.

Downgrade: Lose compatibility with some of the newest apps, open up security loopholes to dangers, lose some performance improvements such as Metal.... or...

Mod macOS: If you turn off System Integrity Protection in Recovery Mode you gain the ability to change the main system icons (Finder/Trash/iTunes etc) to anything you want, in this case the old OS X style ones. Also related to turning off SIP is the cDock application which allows you to get the old 3D docks back but they aren't QUITE the originals. Theres also the "Displapature" application which gives you back rounded MenuBar corners, which by itself makes High Sierra look so much better.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I tried to install Snow Leopard on my 2012 iMac that came pre-installed with Mavericks and I got a Kernel Panic after booting the SL disc citing that I had an incorrect CPU >.> anybody know whats up with that? I thought as long as its an Intel system it could support anything as far back as Leopard...

As far as I know, you can only install a version of OS X/macOS that's as early as what shipped on it when the model was released.

I tried Mavericks and Snow Leopard on my 2010 17" MBP and it ran like a champ. El Capitan runs okay-ish, Sierra runs awful.

It's too bad those previous versions aren't still supported a bit. Windows 7 runs beautifully on my machine and is supported for a few more years, even.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I'm making some progress with modding High Sierra. I've got the dock almost back to the way it looked in Leopard, I've got all the icons changed back to their old versions, and I've got the Menubar slightly 3D and resembling Tiger. Right now I have no way of changing the Apple in the Menubar or changing the Traffic buttons but I'm gonna keep searching for ways and update here :3

Ask if you have any questions!

Attachments

• derp.jpg
    derp.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 317
Reactions: eximious

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I'm making some progress with modding High Sierra. I've got the dock almost back to the way it looked in Leopard, I've got all the icons changed back to their old versions, and I've got the Menubar slightly 3D and resembling Tiger. Right now I have no way of changing the Apple in the Menubar or changing the Traffic buttons but I'm gonna keep searching for ways and update here :3

Ask if you have any questions!

Did you manage to get the Desktop text drop shadows to be more pronounced...?

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
You might want to have a look at my work on the traffic lights here. :)

I actually attempted to edit the appearance.cue files before on my own but had no luck >.> its like any texture file I changed would have no affect. Theres a LOT that needs to be changed, not just the traffic lights, unfortunately. The hideous Back/Forward buttons which I don't know if they can even be salvaged due to their new square shape...

Funnily enough 10 years ago I was on Vista trying to mod it to look like Leopard and now here I am doing the same thing on the Mac @.@

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I actually attempted to edit the appearance.cue files before on my own but had no luck >.> its like any texture file I changed would have no affect. Theres a LOT that needs to be changed, not just the traffic lights, unfortunately. The hideous Back/Forward buttons which I don't know if they can even be salvaged due to their new square shape...

Funnily enough 10 years ago I was on Vista trying to mod it to look like Leopard and now here I am doing the same thing on the Mac @.@
I've done those before, here's a screenshot of one of my earlier attempts at an Aqua theme. Actually doesn't look too bad.
Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 1.30.52 PM.png
Don't think I'll bother changing them this time though, only the elements that were Aqua in OS X 10.5/10.6 (and the toolbar buttons were not).

arina83

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2017
Its really annoying how security updates are tied to visual changes. I love Mavericks and really don't want to update to High Sierra. If there are any ways to make High Sierra look like Mavericks, I'm definitely interested.

arpi

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2014
I installed mavericks on my aging 17" MacBook pro. Was using el cap. Works much better. I know it doesn't get any more security updated, but it seems it's still getting xProtect and gatekeeper updates (same versions as my high sierra machine)

Many apps work still, like Affinity Designer, sublime, phpstorm, firefox. Also you can download many older version apps from the app store if u purchased them when mavericks was released.

I will be testing it, let's see how it works, but as a side machine I shouldn't have problems. It doesn't have icloud drive, but icloud is still not working properly sometimes even on high sierra, it's not a big deal.

Reactions: rafark

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
If I downgraded to Mavericks would I lose my High Sierra Time Machine backup? I'd assume I would have to manually backup all the files I wanna keep >.>

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
For those who've downgraded to Mav from El Cap and above, what do you guys use to substitute Notes app since Mav's no longer compatible...?

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
What are you doing for a browser? I decided to dual-boot Mountain Lion on my Mac and Safari/Chrome/Firefox were out of date.

They are? I still use both quite often. Or are they "just" less secure?
[doublepost=1516037445][/doublepost]By the way, the poll results are awfully telling, if they're still accurate and up-to-date to today. 45%/55%. Anyone know if people are still voting or whether the voting slowed down long ago?

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I've done those before, here's a screenshot of one of my earlier attempts at an Aqua theme. Actually doesn't look too bad.
View attachment 738879
Don't think I'll bother changing them this time though, only the elements that were Aqua in OS X 10.5/10.6 (and the toolbar buttons were not).
I will forever miss the aqua theme. It's what a made a Mac a Mac, in my opinion. Back in that day, Windows was sort of stale, but Macs were fun. Now Macs are all gray and flat too. Hoping this "flat" fad will go away!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.