Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
One shall not call a spade a spade.
Or imply that a spade is a spade.
Or question the judgement of those who refuse to call a spade a spade.
Or demonstrate the folly of not calling a spade a spade.
Those who do shall be suspended for one year.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The great thing about the real world is one can just decide to walk around the block and come back in ten minutes.. Self imposed moderation. No clue why it's harder to be self-inspired to do the equivalent of that in here. Lack of the effect of physical exercise, I guess. Walking around the block blows off steam without our even having to focus on that while touring the block, it just happens.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
One shall not call a spade a spade.
Or imply that a spade is a spade.
Or question the judgement of those who refuse to call a spade a spade.
Or demonstrate the folly of not calling a spade a spade.
Those who do shall be suspended for one year.
Instead of spade... which was co-opted as a racial pejorative. How about
calling a truth a truth,
speak clearly and directly leaving implication little room,
question the judgment of others in a respectful manner,
demonstrate folly without making another out as a fool
... those who do shall never see a suspension.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well,

I'm sure the endlessly elastic and vast vocabulary of the English language will supply you - or anyone - with eloquent - yet apt - substitutes if - or when - wishing to express such sentiments.
I want to call things by their real name.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I want to call things by their real name.

Dao is beyond words
and beyond understanding.
Words may be used to speak of it,
but they cannot contain it.

Tao existed before words and names,
before heaven and earth,
before the ten thousand things.
It is the unlimited father and mother
of all limited things.

Therefore, to see beyond boundaries
to the subtle heart of things,
dispense with names,
with concepts,
with expectations and ambitions and differences.

Tao and its many manifestations
arise from the same source:
subtle wonder within mysterious darkness.

This is the beginning of all understanding.

Tao te Ching of Lau Tzu, translated by Brian Browne Walker

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
Is there a reason that the use of the term "TDS" to describe a group (or an individual) does not violate forum rules? I think these rules are over broad and too rigidly applied, but if you're going to sanction posters for group slurs or for attacks on individual members, I don't understand why calling a member or a group "deranged" is considered OK.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
We don't moderate insults directed at non-forum members, so if you said in general some person or persons outside the forum had TDS it would not violate the rules. But if you said forum member @JonnyTwoHats has TDS, then that would be a negative personal comment about that member we would moderate.

If you see posts you think violate this rule, please report them so we can take a look.

There is also a "group slur" rule that is used when a negative comment is made about all people in a group. For example, "All people from XXX are dumb and lazy." So depending on context, TDS directed at a group might be a group slur violation. We would need to look at it and discuss among the mods.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Is there a reason that the use of the term "TDS" to describe a group (or an individual) does not violate forum rules? I think these rules are over broad and too rigidly applied, but if you're going to sanction posters for group slurs or for attacks on individual members, I don't understand why calling a member or a group "deranged" is considered OK.

I would be careful with this type of request, because then you also must include “Trumps minions” etc (on all sides) and all that can be perceived as a derogatory form of group calling.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I've always looked at the use of "TDS" the same way my favorite high school English teacher looked at excessive profanity, a crutch for the uncreative. Someone refers to people who don't agree with them or their choices have TDS, it just means that's the best line they could come up with for a reaction, in my mind.

Let people have that, if they need it.

If it isn't true, who cares?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there a reason that the use of the term "TDS" to describe a group (or an individual) does not violate forum rules?
Because our rules are for members and how to respectfully discuss/debate the topic at hand. If TDS was directed towards some Fox news person, its not a violation, if its directed towards the person in the thread it will be.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I've always looked a the use of "TDS" the same way my favorite high school English teacher looked at excessive profanity, a crutch for the uncreative. Someone refers to people who don't agree with them or their choices have TDS, it just means that's the best line they could come up with for a reaction, in my mind.

Let people have that, if they need it.

If it isn't true, who cares?

agreed. After a while all those semi-derogatory terms become tiresome more than they are offensive.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
agreed. After a while all those semi-derogatory terms become tiresome more than they are offensive.

I agree. The use of the term TDS is more childish than offensive. My concern is that the rules are being enforced selectively when it comes to insults directed to supporters of a given political candidate or position. Personally, I would prefer that the “group slur” rule be revised to apply only to traditionally protected classes (races, religions, sexual orientation, etc.) and not political supporters.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My concern is that the rules are being enforced selectively when it comes to insults directed to supporters of a given political candidate or position.

From what I have seen interacting with the other mods, nobody cares either way about political positions when it comes to enforcing the rules. If the post is reported and a rule violation is found, it gets moderated.

If you have seen evidence to the contrary, you should gather up links to the posts involved and send them in to the admins using the contact us link. They would be glad to take a look to see if there is any evidence of inconsistent moderation.

Reactions: S.B.G

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
"Hate speech." There is no objective measure of this--definition or otherwise.

What hate speech is to one mod might not be hate speech to a second mod.

"Hate speech" therefore is anything the mod thinks it is.

I understand the intent, but the idea of modifying content based upon a definition that changes according to each mod is incredibly unfair to users.

And just so some mod doesn't yank this as "unrelated," the hate speech portion of the rule is announced in the first posting on this thread---the one that opened the thread.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
"Hate speech." There is no objective measure of this--definition or otherwise.

What hate speech is to one mod might not be hate speech to a second mod.

"Hate speech" therefore is anything the mod thinks it is.

I understand the intent, but the idea of modifying content based upon a definition that changes according to each mod is incredibly unfair to users.

And just so some mod doesn't yank this as "unrelated," the hate speech portion of the rule is announced in the first posting on this thread---the one that opened the thread.

This issue was discussed earlier in the thread - unsure if you had a chance to read those posts: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rimination-rule-changes.2180263/post-27356083

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Personally, I would prefer that the “group slur” rule be revised to apply only to traditionally protected classes (races, religions, sexual orientation, etc.) and not political supporters.
some things are immutable, some things are not so immutable. The idea of politics without change strikes me as daft.

But then, I'm one of those troublemakers.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There seem to be a lot of minutia rules now. Way more grey area that makes the rule book far too complicated. If those in charge cannot decide what is a violation maybe the rules have become too complex.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
There seem to be a lot of minutia rules now. Way more grey area that makes the rule book far too complicated. If those in charge cannot decide what is a violation maybe the rules have become too complex.

Better that than a free for all. I mean have you visited such free for all's recently, e.g. Joe My God on the left and Breitbart on the right?

Scary places...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.