Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I still have my MacBook air 2014 and my husband has an iMac and windows desktop. However going forward I'm going to be using my iPad pro 11, iPad pro 10.5 and iPad mini 5 as my main computing devices. I've decided I won't upgrade my MacBook air when it dies.

Understandable. The only time I dust off my MBP is the occasional FinalCut edit or bulk photo processing. With the new normal that hasn’t happened since the beginning of the year.

My windows mobile workstation is my primary computing device with this iPP being a close second.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Hi Marion,

If it helps, the below is a good You Tube review of the magic keyboard.

The Chap also have loads of videos about being a student doctor and how he used his ipad through university. Lecture theatres, walking the wards Etc.

Cheers
Martin

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Whenever I travel, I only bring my iPad and iPhone. Everytime I do, I’m reminded that the iPad still can’t replace a laptop (for me). There is always something I can’t do on the iPad. I really enjoy mine, but for me it’s a companion device.

Also, I was reminded that I miss lightning, as I now needed to bring two separate chargers...

Reactions: Duckyduckbumps

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think it boils down to whether you still want it to be a really portable, versatile tablet. If you want to pull it off the keyboard and use it as a tablet often, the 11” is likely the way to go for most people. I know some say they read in bed with the 12.9, but holding it in the store, I just couldn’t imagine that being ideal. The 11 is still lightweight, and not much bigger than your average open book when you’re holding it. The 12.9 is like a world atlas. ;-p

If you’re only ever gonna be using it on a desk with the keyboard, the 12.9 is definitely the winner. I mean great size, gorgeous screen, full size keyboard - definitely awesome for that.
[automerge]1593351684[/automerge]

Certainly the 12.9 takes best advantage of split screen, and having more screen real estate simplifies a lot of other tasks as well. I do think the 11” is best as a portable tablet. They definitely each have their “pros.” ;-p

I have thought that maybe I should’ve gone for the 12.9, but seeing it in person solidified that, for me, right now, the 11 was the best choice since it’s my only iPad. Of course, it’s also my only computing device, which would make the 12.9 seem like the better option. For me the 12.9 is just too darn much iPad to use in situations away from the desk.

I have considered getting the next gen 12.9 since I’m using the iPad as my main computing device now, but likely will only do that if I either hang onto my 11” or go back to having a mini as well. My problem has been not really feeling like I’ll get enough use out of 2 pads, but needs change and in a year or so, who knows...
I did briefly consider the 12.9 inch ipad pro but I wanted to be able to use it around the house.

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
May 29, 2017
I have been for the last couple of months, since being made redundant: 2nd gen 12.9 inch 256GB.

As an illustrator/teacher there is a lot that I can do on my iPad Pro. It does *almost* everything I need to do.

The only real hardware limitation is the screen size: can’t get 16 inch (which I guess could only work if it was a folding device).

The others are software:
  • Filing system still limited
  • Opening and editing PDFs can still be a chore
  • Photoshop still has limited features
  • Some web pages still don’t work as they do on desktop
  • Opening and unzipping big files doesn’t necessarily work
  • Impossible to do a full backup to iCloud if you have slow wifi
  • No third party backup services available
  • Have to backup to a desktop if you want a full local backup that you can restore from
  • Sharing documents between apps can be awkward and inconsistent
  • Desktop-grade 3D software still missing
  • Where are Apple’s own desktop apps: Logic and FinalCut?
Given all this, I love the iPad but I still see it as an almost-there solution.

I have a 24inch Wacom Cintiq on my desk, and I’m about to buy a Windows laptop with NVidia GPU.

Interested to see what happens in the next couple of years. The convergence of iOS and macOS may yet deliver everything I need in one device.

Btw I’ve found this Proper accessory to be indispensable:

Last edited:

MrMoonUK

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
UK
I did briefly consider the 12.9 inch ipad pro but I wanted to be able to use it around the house.

people exaggerate the 12.9s size, when I unboxed mine 2 days ago I was like oh it’s not that big, after hearing reviews and forums I thought it would be too big, but it’s really really not. I can’t imagine multi tasking on the 11 as even on this I wish I had more space....

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
people exaggerate the 12.9s size, when I unboxed mine 2 days ago I was like oh it’s not that big, after hearing reviews and forums I thought it would be too big, but it’s really really not. I can’t imagine multi tasking on the 11 as even on this I wish I had more space....
My colleague at work has the 12.9 inch so I tried it out several times. I just found it too big. However I know it‘s a good size for many people.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm on my third month of full-time iPad 12.9 only and second month with the MK. No regrets and very happy with the setup. My only real need for a Mac is for full computer iPad backups, although much of the work I do is web-based, so my backup needs aren't too heavy. I use an external drive to backup via the Files app. I tried a couple FileBrowser versions but couldn't get comfortable with the way it works. I do hope Apple comes up with an iPad/iPhone backup utility to external drives at some point.

CEssex1983

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
I still use a MBP for work. I also have the 2020 12.9 in iPad Pro. When I find I need to do work on my iPad, I am always pleasently surprised. I have always kind of seen iPads as my ‘hobby’ or fun device. Just for games and editing some videos. This, as my first Pro is prooving to be very capable. I can do like, 90 percent of the things I would need to do at work on it. One of our backend video platforms still uses Flash. Once that transitions, this will be my go-to I think!

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Serius work: use macbook or windows laptop. Free time and hobby (incl. Smule) : use iPad.
So, during weekend/holiday, i am a full time ipad user ?
Ah one more, I have hundreds of books (epub dan pdf) in my iPad. It’s like mobile library for me.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
My colleague at work has the 12.9 inch so I tried it out several times. I just found it too big. However I know it‘s a good size for many people.

I think that’s one of the things which as well as being personal preference, is hard to really measure during the 14-day return window. I’m now using my 12.9” for everything and frequently have it out of its case for doing stuff on the sofa, reading in bed etc. The longer I’ve used it, the more the form factor has “shrunk” to the point where its just the norm - but I’ll admit that I have previously discounted the larger iPad for being too big and unwieldy.

I genuinely can’t imagine going back to a smaller iPad now even for media consumption.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think that’s one of the things which as well as being personal preference, is hard to really measure during the 14-day return window. I’m now using my 12.9” for everything and frequently have it out of its case for doing stuff on the sofa, reading in bed etc. The longer I’ve used it, the more the form factor has “shrunk” to the point where its just the norm - but I’ll admit that I have previously discounted the larger iPad for being too big and unwieldy.

I genuinely can’t imagine going back to a smaller iPad now even for media consumption.
Yes once you go bigger it’s a struggle to go back. I’ve always struggled with bigger devices though, even laptops. I had 15 and 16 inch windows laptops but I found it a chore to use them due to their size. The laptops I’ve liked were always smaller, like a netbook I had which was 10 inches, a chrome book which was 11 inches and my 11 inch MBA. I’m someone who keeps an iPad mini because I struggle to take bigger iPads out, even the 9.7 inch iPad I found cumbersome for commuting.

hotr32

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
PA
I use my iPad as a media consumption device, web browsing and streaming tv and movies on my iPad is more practical than grabbing my MacBook Pro. I even use my iPad for virtual classes, I will say a keyboard is a must! But now I’m debating if I should get a Magic Keyboard, but the Smart Keyboard is more than suffice right now..........or is it? ?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I use my iPad as a media consumption device, web browsing and streaming tv and movies on my iPad is more practical than grabbing my MacBook Pro. I even use my iPad for virtual classes, I will say a keyboard is a must! But now I’m debating if I should get a Magic Keyboard, but the Smart Keyboard is more than suffice right now..........or is it? 😂
I say try the Magic Keyboard. You can always return it ... but will you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.