Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to upgrade from your series 4 to the series 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Hiya!

I currently have a Series 4 Space Black Stainless AW, got it at launch.

I'm thinking about skipping a year again as my watch still seems to do everything I want.. the design still seems great and performance still seems to be great.

Just wondering what others with the Series 4 are thinking!

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I have a S4, and at this point it’s impossible to know what I’ll do since, of course, we know very little about what S6 is. If it’s just S5 with better wifi and O2 sat measurements, then I’ll take a pass.

Same. I’m hoping for a slight GPS improvement but not holding my breath.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I said yes but it depends on what’s on it. If it has O2 then yes I would get it since I have asthma and that would come in handy for sure.
Pretty sure Asthma does not cause low O2 blood concentrations.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I was looking forward to getting the S6. The current rumors are disappointing, thought.

i don’t need O2 measurements or better wifi. If it had better battery life on cellular I might think about it but right now it seems smarter towait for the S7 which will probably be a big redesign.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I’m waiting to see what’s announced. Based on what’s leaked thus far I don’t know if I could justify it. I currently have the S4 and it meets my needs pretty well. I also tend to spring for the SS model so that adds to the equation given the cost.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I said yes but it depends on what’s on it. If it has O2 then yes I would get it since I have asthma and that would come in handy for sure.

I have asthma as well and didn’t know that would beneficial for me. I have severe attacks when the weather changes over so now I may have a good reason to upgrade my S4.

Reactions: JBaby

rebretz000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2018
I’m debating on getting the series 6 or trying to get a good deal on a series 5. My series 4 is beat up and depending on workout tracking on a particular day I’m having trouble getting through 24 hours on a charge so I’ll need a new watch.

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
When blood O2 sensing works I will probably upgrade. I won’t get one on day1 like I did with the 4 only to find out the ecg was not yet enabled.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m debating on getting the series 6 or trying to get a good deal on a series 5. My series 4 is beat up and depending on workout tracking on a particular day I’m having trouble getting through 24 hours on a charge so I’ll need a new watch.

I don’t think the discounts are that lucrative where the S5 would be that attractive for something that has ‘always on display’. For that matter, then I would probably just up for the S6, which would be a far bigger improvement over your Series 4. But then again, if you’re really ‘hard‘ on your Apple Watch, and you can find a decent discount on the Series 4, then that’s what I would opt for.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I have an S5 and I’m definitely upgrading. I’m gonna give my S5 to my sister for her birthday and Christmas.

Reactions: RTWG

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Series 4 owner here. So far I’ve seen nothing in the rumours that’ll compel me to upgrade. My watch is perfectly functional without a single scratch on it.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Getting it for sure if it has O2. I am an avid runner and cyclist and am interested in my O2 concentrations during intervals.

Reactions: RollTide_King

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'll wait and see what the 6 actually has first.

But yes, I am considering an upgrade from my S4 this year, depending on what is included with the 6.

I've been on "every other" upgrade cycle so far, but unless the 6 has something I really want, I'm still pretty happy with the 4. Always on screen would be nice, but its not a deal breaker for me to not have it. Its the only thing the 5 has that I "miss".

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
I'll wait and see what the 6 actually has first.

But yes, I am considering an upgrade from my S4 this year, depending on what is included with the 6.

I've been on "every other" upgrade cycle so far, but unless the 6 has something I really want, I'm still pretty happy with the 4. Always on screen would be nice, but its not a deal breaker for me to not have it. Its the only thing the 5 has that I "miss".
I'm in the same camp as you, every other year. Hopefully there will be enough to warrant an upgrade this year as an always on display would be really hand for me, but if theres not much other than a new sensor and improved processor then I will need to consider my options.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Getting it for sure if it has O2. I am an avid runner and cyclist and am interested in my O2 concentrations during intervals.
Please don’t expect to much. Unless Apple has some amazing new tech, O2 measurement will not work while moving. It’s much more granular than simple heart rate measuring and requires very accurate measurement.

also, O2 is unlikely to drop significantly or even measurably when running. And even if it did drop 2-3%, how would that information help you?

Reactions: JBaby

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Ha! I am. But really this is about my sister. If I don’t upgrade she won’t get new tech. And she’s the only one in the family without an Watch. I can’t abide that.
With this new information coming to light, I agree. Your sister needs to be brainwashed, I mean welcomed into the Apple fold properly with a gift from you. :D You may have to rush her to the ER when she gets the watch. Her head might explode from joy. Be ready. ;)

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Ha! I am. But really this is about my sister. If I don’t upgrade she won’t get new tech. And she’s the only one in the family without an Watch. I can’t abide that.

You should have a word with your sister... what’s her excuse?

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Like most people here, I'm waiting to see what the features are. However, now would be a good time to sell a Series 4, or even take the Apple Trade In offer.

I do like the Series 5 has the always on display, so that's another feature that the 6 should have over the 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.