Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to upgrade from your series 4 to the series 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ArrayOfLilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Budapest, Hungary
In our country the GPS version has only been avalaible for few month, if I’ll upgrade just because I really want one otherwise my S4 is perfect for my goals.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I'm upgrading, I want the always on screen and didn't last year. That said after having Stainless or Space Black Stainless AW0, AW3, and AW4 models I think this year I am going to... *gasp*... buy a plain aluminum non-cellular model to see how it goes and how badly it shows wear and if I can "live with it" since I know that its nearly certain I will upgrade to Series 7 next year which I believe will be a new case design like Series 4 was. That gives me a year to decide if it is for me or not, because it would be a lot easier to justify upgrading yearly IF I was doing the aluminum than if I was always getting stainless.

I will keep the SBSS AW4 since they don't hold their value in resale, so I might as well keep it for a more formal look if I occasionally want it and as a "sleep tracking" watch so I can charge my Series 6 overnight.

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Seem really interesting opinions here!

I honestly think I'm gonna hold out for the series 7, hopefully my battery lasts out until then.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seem really interesting opinions here!

I honestly think I'm gonna hold out for the series 7, hopefully my battery lasts out until then.

Genuinely curious, why would you ‘hold out‘ to the Series 7 if you don’t know if the Series 6 offers?

That said, the only reason I would hold out for the S7 is for the sake of updated hardware, as I think the S6 Will add a few tweaks/health advancements, but obviously everything else will probably remain the same hardware wise, if I don’t see Apple improving the water resistance or maybe slightly increase the battery life.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Please don’t expect to much. Unless Apple has some amazing new tech, O2 measurement will not work while moving. It’s much more granular than simple heart rate measuring and requires very accurate measurement.

also, O2 is unlikely to drop significantly or even measurably when running. And even if it did drop 2-3%, how would that information help you?
Why wouldn't it work while moving? I can measure my O2 from finger pulseox while moving for the last 10 years just fine. It's simply not practical.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
I was really tempted by the 5’s AOD but the lack of any other significant feature upgrade (not even a new chip!) was a dealbreaker for me. If Series 6 has two or three solid new features, then I'll most likely be upgrading from my Series 4.

Reactions: throAU

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Yep, looking forward to upgrading also to a cellular watch. I barely use my phone, with the Watch, AirPods, iPP, or MacBook Pro virtually sufficient for my everyday life.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yep, looking forward to upgrading also to a cellular watch. I barely use my phone, with the Watch, AirPods, iPP, or MacBook Pro virtually sufficient for my everyday life.

I’m the opposite. I have a cellular watch but I’m hardly ever without the phone. So have deactivated the cellular connection on the watch now.

Reactions: djlythium

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I said yes but it depends on what’s on it. If it has O2 then yes I would get it since I have asthma and that would come in handy for sure.

A lot depends on exactly HOW the O2 measurement is implemented. If it's not on a fairly constant, or at least regular automatic basis, it would be pretty "blah".. I don't think Apple has the battery capacity to enable it 24/7 like the Garmin watches do, but something that will measure at regular, timed intervals shouldn't be too bad. I agree, especially with the COVID-19 pandemic, it's good to watch your oxygen saturation, as it's a genuine indicator of things going in with your respiratory system.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Pretty sure Asthma does not cause low O2 blood concentrations.

Moderate acute asthma is characterized by an oxygen saturation level of 92% to 95%, a pulse of 100 to 125 beats per minute (in children older than 5 years) or 120 to 140 beats per minute (in children 2 to 5 years of age), a respiratory rate of 20 to 30 breaths per minute (in children older than 5 years) or 30 to 40 ...Jul 15, 2013

From the article Acute Asthma and other Recurring Wheezing Disorders in Children.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Getting it for sure if it has O2. I am an avid runner and cyclist and am interested in my O2 concentrations during intervals.

I have no idea how Apple will implement the SpO2 measurements, if at all, but I can say for a fact that the Garmin Venu that I have doesn't measure O2 concentration DURING exercise. It will, however pick up right after the exercise period, but not during the exercise. Of course, this is only the way Garmin does it, who knows how Apple will implement it, it could be like the proposed "sleep tracking" where it says "yes, you were in bed these hours", and not really give any real information.
But then, there's that great handwashing feature!

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
I’m likely to get one, my series 4 is already notionally sold pending the 15th. My daughter has a series 5 and I really like the always on, no more prodding the face with my nose when i have my hands full and the screen doesnt wake on lift.

The only choice is stainless or titanium, always had stainless in the past.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
I’m the opposite. I have a cellular watch but I’m hardly ever without the phone. So have deactivated the cellular connection on the watch now.
Yeah, that’s a beneficial option, to disable the cell service. If my lifestyle ever changes, and I have my phone with me again, simple switch.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
And herein lies the dilemma for lots of watch buyers. I skip several generations unless a killer, must have feature is available. in my case a 0 to 5 for several reasons. I personally find it pointless to buy a new device for incremental improvements that really does not change my daily usage of it.

I view the watch as tech not really an heirloom jewelry piece or even fashion. While the premium cases look pretty I always pass on that. Those OG gold cases that a limited amount of people spent big dough for are great paperweights about now. So upgrading to change material doesn’t motivate me either.

But I see these posts often. If you get joy from upgrading regularly and need every millisecond improvement and you don’t have to worry about your mortgage as a result of the purchase, go for it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
And herein lies the dilemma for lots of watch buyers. I skip several generations unless a killer, must have feature is available. in my case a 0 to 5 for several reasons. I personally find it pointless to buy a new device for incremental improvements that really does not change my daily usage of it.

I view the watch as tech not really an heirloom jewelry piece or even fashion. While the premium cases look pretty I always pass on that. Those OG gold cases that a limited amount of people spent big dough for are great paperweights about now. So upgrading to change material doesn’t motivate me either.

But I see these posts often. If you get joy from upgrading regularly and need every millisecond improvement and you don’t have to worry about your mortgage as a result of the purchase, go for it.

I mean anyone who has to worry about their mortgage while buying an Apple Watch should really reconsider their priorities as you rightly pointed out. Although it seems most people on this forum is not at that stage. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: kht410 and Deliro

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Coming from a S0 Wi-Fi, S3 LTE and currently S4 LTE, I'm thinking about passing again this year. And I LOVE to get new tech, new iPhone every year, new iPad Pro every generation, etc.

But they're gonna have to really step it up for S6. My S4 still feels fast, and looks the same as the day I got it (black SS version). I'd rather put that $800 towards an Apple Silicon Mac.

Reactions: Deliro and Agile55

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My Series 4 LTE Gold looks awful. The gold was never really gold to begin with and is now a brown all over a with deeper tarnish on one side. I took great care of this watch, wearing my Series 2 Aluminum for days at the pool or beach or working in the yard. So I’m not sure why it looks so bad. It is too tea brown to go as well with my gold or even rose gold jewelry.

I’m very disappointed with it and am trading it in for a black aluminum 6. I wish I could get titanium but my black aluminum Series 2 got the roughest treatment so far but has held up the best vs gold Aluminum series 1 (stopped working after a drop), white aluminum series 3 (passed to a family member who still wears it) and original silver stainless steel (with one of the kids).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My Series 4 LTE Gold looks awful. The gold was never really gold to begin with and is now a brown all over a with deeper tarnish on one side. I took great care of this watch, wearing my Series 2 Aluminum for days at the pool or beach or working in the yard. So I’m not sure why it looks so bad. It is too tea brown to go as well with my gold or even rose gold jewelry.

I’m very disappointed with it and am trading it in for a black aluminum 6. I wish I could get titanium but my black aluminum Series 2 got the roughest treatment so far but has held up the best vs gold Aluminum series 1 (stopped working after a drop), white aluminum series 3 (passed to a family member who still wears it) and original silver stainless steel (with one of the kids).

I’m wondering if something (I.E- hand sanitizer, corrosive sweat, ect) had a chemical reaction with the gold stainless, or the PVD [Physical Vapor deposition coating] to cause the tarnishing. Since you plan on trading it in, you really have nothing to lose if you wanted to try a polishing cloth to see if it would remove any of the staining.

Reactions: 5105973

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
I’m awaiting the formal presentation of the AW6, with a lot of expectations on it considering how minimal was the step between AW4 and 5.

In any case I do believe that I’m gonna buy it and pass my AW4 to my son.

A little devil on my shoulder is also suggesting me that I should go for the Hermès one, but I’m trying to kill him every time he shows up (daily basis)...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m wondering if something (I.E- hand sanitizer, corrosive sweat, ect) had a chemical reaction with the gold stainless, or the PVD [Physical Vapor deposition coating] to cause the tarnishing. Since you plan on trading it in, you really have nothing to lose if you wanted to try a polishing cloth to see if it would remove any of the staining.
I know it’s not hand sanitizer, because the marks appeared over a year before I started using any, but it could reaction with soap residue and/or deposits from my well water. The discoloration is on the side that would get hit with a swipe of soap and water when I wash my hands. The whole overall color of the watch seems darker since I got it almost 2 years ago.

I used to be more diligent about taking my watch off and rinsing and drying it after washing my hands, but now since it’s so easy to set off the emergency alert thing I find I tend to just shake it dry and go.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m awaiting the formal presentation of the AW6, with a lot of expectations on it considering how minimal was the step between AW4 and 5.

In any case I do believe that I’m gonna buy it and pass my AW4 to my son.

A little devil on my shoulder is also suggesting me that I should go for the Hermès one, but I’m trying to kill him every time he shows up (daily basis)...
I know what you’re talking about in regard to the Hermès watch devil. I’ve been smacking him down for years. But I also am fond of the Nike watches so that makes things easier for me.

Reactions: limesmoothie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.