Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Nope, love my XS Max's 6.5 Inch screen, fits nicely in my pocket, no issues here. I prefer larger screens, tried a 6 the year after it came out as my first iPhone, took it back after 3 days as I was getting nauseated when using it, loved the Plus series, now love the Max, so nope.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Plus is just too big for a guy to carry around in his pockets. Women have no issues because they have a hand bag.

The 8 plus was just a brick. I got tired of carrying it around.

I disagree with every part of this statement.

By the way, that “brick” 8 plus is only 8 grams heavier than your XR...

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
We may not like it, but it's what it is. More and more people rely on their smartphones as their all-in-one device, including as their productivity and entertainment device. Thus larger screen do give better experience for many.

What I expect is, as the Apple Watch grows more powerful, I can see myself relying more on the Apple Watch for immediate tasks, saving myself from having to go to my phone. Thus the size of the phone itself is not too crucial.

But I do agree that sometimes big can be too big. I used to use the Mi Max. Its width is 8.8cm, a full cm more than the XS Max. And yes, it did get cumbersome to use on-the-go. Having said that, I have an elderly uncle that loves the phone to this day as the larger screen allows him to see the content better.

Reactions: I7guy

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Nope, love my XS Max's 6.5 Inch screen, fits nicely in my pocket, no issues here. I prefer larger screens, tried a 6 the year after it came out as my first iPhone, took it back after 3 days as I was getting nauseated when using it, loved the Plus series, now love the Max, so nope.

Nauseated by the screen size of the 6? Almost all phones were around that size or smaller until around 2012. Did you not get your first smartphone until after then? If you’re that young, you’re too young to be getting nauseated!:D

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Is that an iPhone XS Max in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Really hope Apple someday, one day release a successor to the SE.
As much as I like the SE, I know there are many things Apple could improve on.

Hey who knows? If the rumours of a new iPad Mini are true perhaps there’s hope for a new SE?

Hofstede

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2014
I complete a majority of daily tasks on my iPhone. I seldom use my MacBook Pro. So I need a phablet. iPhone XS Max fits my need.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I guess I’m one of the few that went from the Xs back to the 6s. I just prefer the smaller phone. The screen size is perfect and don’t have to reach to far to reach those upper corners.
Only problem with the 6s is the battery life

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
I disagree with every part of this statement.

By the way, that “brick” 8 plus is only 8 grams heavier than your XR...

I carry around the XR to the store, everywhere. The size or weight has never bothered me or crossed my mind.

It's the perfect size coming from a plus.

The 8 plus, I only wanted to bring to work. I'll never go back to a phone that big and heavy.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I carry around the XR to the store, everywhere. The size or weight has never bothered me or crossed my mind.

It's the perfect size coming from a plus.

The 8 plus, I only wanted to bring to work. I'll never go back to a phone that big and heavy.

As I said, 8 grams difference...

For that matter, the Xr is actually slightly thicker than the 8 Plus, and only .09 inches less wide.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Some men do carry purses. They're called "backpacks" :p

...and some men carry actual purses. I was in the liquor aisle a couple of weeks ago at a grocery store and saw a guy with a very large purse. Larger than what I've seen women carry and proudly prancing around with it too...

Reactions: ThugFreak

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
...and some men carry actual purses. I was in the liquor aisle a couple of weeks ago at a grocery store and saw a guy with a very large purse. Larger than what I've seen women carry and proudly prancing around with it too...
My dad calls his gadget bag/purse a man bag :D

Reactions: davedvdy

cics

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Milano
iPhone physical sizes haven't increased since 2014 with the release of the Plus phones, so I'm not sure why this would be a new phenomenon for discussion.

I haven't had any issues pocketing a Plus or XS Max (always in a front pocket). The extra screen real estate has been something I really enjoy, however.

Physical size haven't changed, but ergonomics did

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Physical size haven't changed, but ergonomics did

I think that depends, but I was addressing the opening post with that comment. I use the XS Max in a 2 handed way most of the time, so it's very similar.
If anything, it's improved since most of the time I tried to use a Plus one handed. That wasn't very comfortable, even though I have big hands. YMMV.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
, but ergonomics did

Not really. Ergonomics is based on hand size, even if the phone changes slightly in form factor with a few millimeter meters of size, users Will still use their phones primarily as they did before, either one or two handed.

Reactions: davedvdy

acocke

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I guess I’m one of the few that went from the Xs back to the 6s. I just prefer the smaller phone. The screen size is perfect and don’t have to reach to far to reach those upper corners.
Only problem with the 6s is the battery life

I'm in the same boat with you as I went from my iPhone X to the iPhone 8, but went then to the iPhone SE. But now I'm using the iPhone 4S and seeing relevant this screen size is in today's world. I just got tired of having a phablet to do phone only stuff with the occasional social media updates.

Reactions: Princejb134

fish09276

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
After using a larger phone for a while, the smaller ones are just ... too small.
My current measuring stick is weight.
[doublepost=1549286659][/doublepost]Weight is a big issue with me also. I love the "lightness" of the 7 but what I discovered after using back and forth with the new XS and XR phones is that that extra weight goes to a much more robust and longer lasting battery. The 7 drains just looking at the screen. The new phones barely trickle down after an hour. I'll have to live with the extra ounces.

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
I personally don't mind holding and using big phones but I HATE how they fit in pants pockets (I'm a guy, BTW) I personally think the 4.7" iPhone 7/8 is the perfect size and Apple should keep a phone that size in their lineup.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I personally don't mind holding and using big phones but I HATE how they fit in pants pockets (I'm a guy, BTW) I personally think the 4.7" iPhone 7/8 is the perfect size and Apple should keep a phone that size in their lineup.
Isn’t the Xs 4.7 inches? Granted it’s expensive but the days of cheap new phones are over.

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
Isn’t the Xs 4.7 inches? Granted it’s expensive but the days of cheap new phones are over.
That's why I won't be buying. Sure the X/XS design is nice, but it's not 1000 dollars nice in my eyes. Much rather get a 7 for less than half that, it can do all I want it to do.
[doublepost=1549296632][/doublepost]I know this has probably been said a thousand times, but I wish the XR would have had the smaller design, rather than 6.1"

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's why I won't be buying. Sure the X/XS design is nice, but it's not 1000 dollars nice in my eyes. Much rather get a 7 for less than half that, it can do all I want it to do.
[doublepost=1549296632][/doublepost]I know this has probably been said a thousand times, but I wish the XR would have had the smaller design, rather than 6.1"
Maybe the iPhone 8 will be around for a few years and sell as the entry level, old-tech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.