Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
Please can they not if they are ditching the 6.5 inch iPhone :D
It is not a line up of which I would agree. People like and want the 6.5”, even if it is not the one for me. I think it very strange they made the XR larger than the Xs - a full screen device with 5” screen as the less expensive iphone would have made much more sense. I am sure many customers cannot understand why the Xs when smaller than the XR is more expensive.

Reactions: Jimmy James

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Sure if you stay still standing up, but any kind of sitting/bending/movement, unless you are wearing baggy jeans or something, is going to cause problems or be noticeable.

The only pants I've found that work w/ the large phones are cargo pants, with pockets in the legs. Even some of those pockets, though, are too small! Depends on the design.

Really, though, Apple almost forces you to rethink your wardrobe to carry these phones. Dress clothes? Forget it.

Reactions: Jimmy James

yukari

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2010
I went from 6 to SE precisely for comfort. I just don't get how one can feel comfortable when sitting down or bending down to pick something up with these larger phones.

As for taking it out of the pocket when sitting, like many have said, it's another hassle I don't need. Especially getting in and out of the car.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I like smaller form factor with a bigger screen. Apple should have a model lineup something like:

iPhone Mini (aka SE 2) - 4.3" edge-to-edge LCD, Face ID, Silver/Space Grey/Rose Gold - $599
iPhone Classic - 4.7" edge-to-edge LCD, Face ID, Multiple colors - $699
iPhone Pro - 5.1" edge-to-edge OLED, Face ID, Silver/Space Grey/Rose Gold - $899
iPhone Pro Max - 5.8" edge-to-edge OLED, Face ID, Silver/Space Grey/Rose Gold - $999

I understand you like a smaller form factor, but what about those that love the XR and XS Max? Apple have the 7 & 8 which are 4.7” and you can still pick the SE up brand new at other places. Apple would be going backwards to introduce the XR and XS Max and then get rid of it.

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
I went rom a 7 Plus to a regular XS, totally worth it and I love the new size.

Plus is just too big for a guy to carry around in his pockets. Women have no issues because they have a hand bag.

The 8 plus was just a brick. I got tired of carrying it around.

I have an XR now, and it's much more easy to carry it around with me. I don't mind it.

Only thing I don't like is the text is not as sharp on the XR as the plus.

Reactions: Kram Sacul

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I carry a purse or my son’s diaper bag when he’s with me and I still don’t put my X in it. It’s easier in my jacket or pants pocket, and I always take it out of my pockets before I drive or sit down somewhere.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Did apple agree off-axis viewing is better than lcd. All apple agrees was oled cost more than lcd for pwm and horrible off-axis viewing. It did not agree oled is objectively better but rather subjectively each tech has its pluses and minuses.

Apple has not put LCD on their very best phone. LCD is there on their budget phone. If LCD were only slightly inferior than OLED, Apple would have kept an LCD option for the XS Max. I do not see any off axis tint nor do I get any headaches with the OLED on my iPhone X. I also don't stare at my phone from angles. I view it straight as that's how normal people use their phones. FYI the TN LCD monitors with 144hz available for $500 have off axis tint (I have one) but no one cares about that because of the smooth experience. If OLED is demolishing LCD in image quality, that's a very small tradeoff

Apple is doing a lower priced model than the xr. But nobody knows the price.

Apple is a premium hardware company. They wont make a bargain bin iPhone

Still, it’s a great hypothetical lineup.

Its very predictable when you have a bean counter CEO at the top.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple has not put LCD on their very best phone. LCD is there on their budget phone.

Two things:

1.) Apple’s LCD panels are some of the _best_ in the tech industry for smart phones. (I.e Calibration, color, temperature, lifespan, ect.)

2.) Apple doesn’t offer a ‘budget’ iPhone and they never have. Even their entry (XR) level iPhones have very good quality LCD displays, brightness and color being some of the key aspects that have always been true to Apple’s LCD displays.

grandIOSe

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
Buenos Aires
No, not at all. Upgraded to an Xr from a 7 and I love the xtra screen real estate. Not going back to a 5,1 screen. I could tolerate the 5.8 screen the Xs has probably , but that’s as small as I would go.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple has not put LCD on their very best phone. LCD is there on their budget phone. If LCD were only slightly inferior than OLED, Apple would have kept an LCD option for the XS Max. I do not see any off axis tint nor do I get any headaches with the OLED on my iPhone X. I also don't stare at my phone from angles. I view it straight as that's how normal people use their phones. FYI the TN LCD monitors with 144hz available for $500 have off axis tint (I have one) but no one cares about that because of the smooth experience. If OLED is demolishing LCD in image quality, that's a very small tradeoff
Lots of inconsistencies and conjectures in this post. Either apple makes a budget phone or not. Lcd vs oled is accepting which tradeoff you find more palatable. Off axis viewing and pwm are horrible using oled (and what’s a normal person?). And because you don’t get any headaches doesn’t mean that others don’t. The reason Apple has to differentiate the cameras on the xr from the Xs is the oled is not a selling point to the masses and apple can’t justify a price increase for a tech with little tangible benefit to the consumer.

Apple is a premium hardware company. They wont make a bargain bin iPhone
That’s not what you just said.

Its very predictable when you have a bean counter CEO at the top.
Predictable is not the same as having been predicted.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Off axis viewing and pwm are horrible using oled (and what’s a normal person?). And because you don’t get any headaches doesn’t mean that others don’t. The reason Apple has to differentiate the cameras on the xr from the Xs is the oled is not a selling point to the masses and apple can’t justify a price increase for a tech with little tangible benefit to the consumer..

Off axis viewing being "horrible" is not a sentiment echoed by many, it's just an opinion of a minority.
ZERO credible display professionals weigh any of these cons in favor of LCD to win overall.
PWM is certainly an issue for some...but I believe it's about 10%, though we don't even know the real numbers.

I'm not sure what this obsession is with off axis viewing, anyway. Take the XR off axis viewing into account:
"The iPhone XR LCD definitely shifts a little pink and drops brightness quickly when you look at it off-axis, which often leads to a bit of a shimmery effect when you move the phone around".

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/23/18011306/apple-iphone-xr-review-camera-screen-battery-price

The only time I see a slight color temperature shift on the XS Max, is if I move the phone around with the settings open and I'm moving the phone around. Flat on the table and in hand where I hold the phone stable, it's identical.
You either get screen dimming (XR), or a slight temperature shift (X/XS/XS Max).

As for your "little tangible benefit", why is it used in nearly all flagships of Android phones? Especially where Companies are fighting tooth and nail to compete with the best features, they certainly all use OLED.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
I like my max its everything I wanted in the X. Some people like a really big ass phone like me.

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
The only pants I've found that work w/ the large phones are cargo pants, with pockets in the legs. Even some of those pockets, though, are too small! Depends on the design.

Really, though, Apple almost forces you to rethink your wardrobe to carry these phones. Dress clothes? Forget it.

That's because we became enamored with the Plus size screens and disregarded how much of a pain the phones would be to carry around.

Once Apple implemented edge to edge with the X and XR, the phone sizes became manageable again.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Off axis viewing being "horrible" is not a sentiment echoed by many, it's just an opinion of a minority.
ZERO credible display professionals weigh any of these cons in favor of LCD to win overall.
PWM is certainly an issue for some...but I believe it's about 10%, though we don't even know the real numbers.

I'm not sure what this obsession is with off axis viewing, anyway. Take the XR off axis viewing into account:
"The iPhone XR LCD definitely shifts a little pink and drops brightness quickly when you look at it off-axis, which often leads to a bit of a shimmery effect when you move the phone around".

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/23/18011306/apple-iphone-xr-review-camera-screen-battery-price

The only time I see a slight color temperature shift on the XS Max, is if I move the phone around with the settings open and I'm moving the phone around. Flat on the table and in hand where I hold the phone stable, it's identical.
You either get screen dimming (XR), or a slight temperature shift (X/XS/XS Max).

As for your "little tangible benefit", why is it used in nearly all flagships of Android phones? Especially where Companies are fighting tooth and nail to compete with the best features, they certainly all use OLED.
There an old expression about one mans junk being another mans treasure. In the vein of the aphorism two people can have wildly differing opinions on the same thing.

I wonder if apples lcd panel is better than the worst oled panel on a budget android phone? Being used in all android phones doesn’t mean much, especially if these panels are tier 3 or worse panels.

As far as off axis viewing I was pointing out one of the cons of oled. Maybe others don’t see it as a con.

Also as had been noted while oled may have a bette contrast ratio it may not be more power efficient than lcd due to the themes used on the iPhone.

Ymmv.

alembic

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
I'm still using an iPhone SE and wish Apple would update it. Mind you, my SE runs beautifully on IOS 12, plus it fits nicely in my pocket.
My SE is on 10.3.3 and it's running fine. I'm considering 12 now. Which version did you upgrade from? I'd like to keep the ability to perform backups to my Mac Mini via iTunes. Do you know if that will disappear if I upgrade to 12?

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
The only thing that bothers me is their tendency to fall out of my pockets. I wish it were socially acceptable for men to have purses :mad:

If I wear joggers or basketball shorts (which I am wont to do with some regularity), my 8 Plus always falls out when I'm in the car or if I bend down to do something, it just slips right out. Didn't happen with my 6S.

PVDHell

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2018
PVD
For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?

I’ve never been able to get on board with any of the oversized phones. I run a regular XS, it’s about as big as I’m willing to go.

Reactions: janeauburn

acocke

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I bought an iPhone X, used it for a year, had headaches from the PWM thing. I then decided to “upgrade” to a iPhone 8 because I don’t want a phablet anymore. But then I went to a iPhone SE because I want a one handed phone again and the SE gives me just that, and I have big hands. If I could use my iPhone 4S with my Apple Watches I would switch to that 4S because the 3.5 inch screen was perfect and the iPhone 4S was the best looking and premium feeling phone in my opinion.

Reactions: subjonas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.