Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
No, re-read my original post. You proved my point exactly! People think they are about the same size because just by physically looking at them since they have a similar shape (which is what they are doing by only counting two dimensions and excluding weight). I was pointing out that if you actually compare ALL the dimensions and weight there is a bigger difference 6->X than there was 5s->6. So thank you for that even though you apparently still don't get it.

Oh I get it. You don’t seem to get that I’m saying it doesn’t matter because most people don’t choose their phones based on volume when the variance in thickness is negligible in today’s offerings.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don’t think it would be confusing at all. The iPhone 7 and 8 is still the best selling iPhone through much of Europe so the demand for that size is still there. I think it’s a rather arrogant approach to try and force a more expensive device on the mainstream and to me it looks like it’s backfired somewhat. There is certainly a lot of people buying cheaper iPhone 8’s when the XR really should be the go to iPhone.
Nobody will really get a glimpse of the sales in the last three months until the earnings call. From the X misreporting last year, I'd say it's difficult to impossible to read the tea leaves with regards to sales.

It does not depend on viewing conditions....
Stopped quoting after this. Your completely subjective opinion vs my completely subjective opinion.

They should come up with a XR Plus with a proper high resolution lcd like the Plus phones along with dual cameras as it would be cheaper to manufacture over the XS. But that would absolutely stomp the smaller XS sales.
Maybe Apple will, who knows. But it seems Apple is embracing oled for it's top tier and lcd for the bottom tier. We don't know 2019 yet. We will see.

The 7 is getting discontinued in 2019 and the 8 in 2020. The days of that form factor are numbered.
I think that form factor will be around in 2019 as the lowest tier.

The lineup is predictable. Next step for Apple is to compete with the Note series by releasing a 6.8inch iPhone XS Pro with Apple pencil support starting at only $1499 64GB storage. The year after that, add ProMotion support and jack up the price another $100. The days of a $2000 iphone are not far
I like this hypothetical lineup.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Chiming in again.

I look at all of the arguments for ‘big phones’ and I’m just not going to buy one.

I’ve had a 3GS, 4s, 5s & currently have a 7.

I want a new (current) iPhone, however I’m not:

- Paying £1000 or so for one or £60 pcm on contract with very expensive AppleCare and a hugely expensive screen replacement cost when that runs out
- Getting a new phone bigger than the X (and even the X I find a little bit too big & heavy)

So basically, I want a Face ID successor to my 7.

Is that unreasonable? Some people might think it is, others not.

Whatever the case, I’m leaving my money on the table - money that I otherwise would’ve given to Apple.

Am I rare or are there many others like me? I don’t know, but I suspect that there are and I’m just baffled that the upgrade path to 4.7 phone users seems to be the (way bigger) XR.

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
As I was just saying in another thread, my 8 Plus fits just fine in my front pockets. After a year with a plus sized phone doesn’t even feel like a big phone to me. It just feels normal and anything smaller feels too small.
That’s where I’m at. The “big” phones just seem normal to me now.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Bought an iPhone X a couple months back and a few weeks later sold it and bought an SE instead.

I love this phone. Does everything I need it to do and then some. Put it in your pocket and it disappears. Extremely easy to hold and use one-handed and you absolutely do not need to use a case. Screen still looks great to me, camera still takes great pics, performance is fantastic on iOS 12, and the headphone jack provides me convenience and audio bliss (the SE has a great DAC).

Having the SE has got me thinking about getting an Apple Watch now, because of how small and light the phone is and how it seems like it would be the perfect pair with the watch.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Whatever the case, I’m leaving my money on the table - money that I otherwise would’ve given to Apple.

Blessing in disguise. Keep your money; earn interest on it. Anyone with a 7 or greater will see very little benefit from the X/s.

Reactions: bluecoast

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Blessing in disguise. Keep your money; earn interest on it. Anyone with a 7 or greater will see very little benefit from the X/s.
There is very little difference between a 6s and 7. We have both in the family.

Having said that the max is a huge upgrade from both the 6s and 7. The interest I could earn in the market by not buying the phone is less what I can earn and invest by having a new phone, especially if I do more and faster.

That’s the way I look at it.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Having said that the max is a huge upgrade from both the 6s and 7.

Depends on what you're looking for. In terms of performance, the diff is negligible. Also, you're still looking at an iOS screen, using the same apps. If you have money to burn and you like the latest gadget, yeah, okay.

The interest I could earn in the market by not buying the phone is less what I can earn and invest by having a new phone, especially if I do more and faster.

That’s the way I look at it.

Gotcha. I look at decisions like this compounded over time. The difference in savings can be enormous. More and faster? I don't buy it, but it's your call. I'm a saver. The behavior has afforded me freedoms that most people don't enjoy cuz they're debt slaves.

A phone is a tool. Like my sister said, "why would you get a new phone? Yours is not even 5 years old." She's right. We focus on gadgets when our lives are otherwise lacking. Apple loves it.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Depends on what you're looking for. In terms of performance, the diff is negligible. Also, you're still looking at an iOS screen, using the same apps. If you have money to burn and you like the latest gadget, yeah, okay.
This is IMO, one anecdotal remark. The difference to me is very noticeable. The feel of the max is much faster in a relative sense. You don’t have to agree, this is a discussion forum.

Gotcha. I look at decisions like this compounded over time. The difference in savings can be enormous. More and faster? I don't buy it, but it's your call. I'm a saver. The behavior has afforded me freedoms that most people don't enjoy cuz they're debt slaves.

A phone is a tool. Like my sister said, "why would you get a new phone? Yours is not even 5 years old." She's right. We focus on gadgets when our lives are otherwise lacking. Apple loves it.
You don’t “buy” my use case and I don’t buy your opinions. If all one does is use the 6s and max to check Facebook, some emails and twitter, sure you could use a $50 android phone for that.

But if you want a bigger better screen for more efficiency, dual lens, etc you spend more and to some people time is money.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
My first post in this thread so thought I'd answer the original question...

I am tired of the large form factor - it still baffles me how anyone can claim they can comfortably keep an 8+, XS Max or XR in their jeans/trouser pocket. Sure if you stay still standing up, but any kind of sitting/bending/movement, unless you are wearing baggy jeans or something, is going to cause problems or be noticeable. I don't want to have to be conscious of feeling a bulky phone against my leg all day.

I know it's a different story for women or anyone that permanently keeps that phone in a bag, but for most other people, I just don't get how you put up with it. I mean, the XS Max is an $1100 phone.....you're telling me that wearing regular trousers/jeans and that in your front or rear pocket, isn't at risk of getting crushed/damaged/bent? I don't believe you...and don't say "I just take it out of my pocket when I sit down"...that doesn't work for most people in the real world and is just additional hassle.

I also have small hands, so using anything above a phone the size of a 7 or 8 means I need both hands and I prefer one handed usage.

However...

I love the bigger screens.

If Apple released an iPhone similar in size to an SE, but with an edge-to-edge display/larger screen, I'd be throwing my money at Apple. Would happily pay $1,000 for something like that.

So in summary...yes I hate bigger phones and I'm tired of them, but I love bigger screens.

Reactions: janeauburn

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You don’t “buy” my use case and I don’t buy your opinions. If all one does is use the 6s and max to check Facebook, some emails and twitter, sure you could use a $50 android phone for that.

But if you want a bigger better screen for more efficiency, dual lens, etc you spend more and to some people time is money.
I don’t know many if anybody who uses their phone beyond the basics really. Email, phone, texts, emails, social media, camera etc seem to be what most people do with a smartphone and I agree they all pretty much offer that. My 8+ is faster than my 6S was, but it’s tenths of a second and has no impact on my productivity. For me the extra cost for a shinier phone wasn’t enough of a pull when an 8+ is more than efficient and holds its own even against this year’s phones. But, we buy what we can justify and like the look of rather than for significant performance gains.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don’t know many if anybody who uses their phone beyond the basics really. Email, phone, texts, emails, social media, camera etc seem to be what most people do with a smartphone and I agree they all pretty much offer that. My 8+ is faster than my 6S was, but it’s tenths of a second and has no impact on my productivity. For me the extra cost for a shinier phone wasn’t enough of a pull when an 8+ is more than efficient and holds its own even against this year’s phones. But, we buy what we can justify and like the look of rather than for significant performance gains.
I run my business from my phone and when needed pull in my SP. The bigger screen on the max makes it easier to see more information and this be more efficient. I have a lot of information I have to process in a day. I don’t think the max would make such a difference but I’m glad I was wrong.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Stopped quoting after this. Your completely subjective opinion vs my completely subjective opinion.

And objectively Apple did not put LCD on their flagship phone. In other words, Apple admits OLED is superior to LCD. Meaning Apple agrees with me.

I think that form factor will be around in 2019 as the lowest tier.
Apple is not doing a $200 iPhone. The XR gets that spot in 2021. Apple wants to phase out the home button. Not keep legacy tech around

I like this hypothetical lineup.

Its whats going to happen after all. No one is going to upgrade for small spec bumps.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And objectively Apple did not put LCD on their flagship phone. In other words, Apple admits OLED is superior to LCD. Meaning Apple agrees with me.
Did apple agree off-axis viewing is better than lcd. All apple agrees was oled cost more than lcd for pwm and horrible off-axis viewing. It did not agree oled is objectively better but rather subjectively each tech has its pluses and minuses.

[wuote]Apple is not doing a $200 iPhone. The XR gets that spot in 2021. Apple wants to phase out the home button. Not keep legacy tech around[/Wuote]
Apple is doing a lower priced model than the xr. But nobody knows the price.

Its whats going to happen after all. No one is going to upgrade for small spec bumps.
Still, it’s a great hypothetical lineup.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
As a plus iPhone user from the start I think I'm probably willing to drop down to a 5.8" model whenever I finally feel inclined to move on to a X-era iPhone. By then I am hoping the smaller model will deliver realistically 8+ like battery life. I'm not particularly worried about effectively downsizing in screen size, particularly if content begins to be tailored for the taller and narrower aspect. I don't find the plus size to be too cumbersome, but even smaller while retaining halfway decent battery would be quite nice.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I run my business from my phone and when needed pull in my SP. The bigger screen on the max makes it easier to see more information and this be more efficient. I have a lot of information I have to process in a day. I don’t think the max would make such a difference but I’m glad I was wrong.
Whatever works. My computing needs far exceed the capabilities of any phone so I’m not reliant on it for that. I’m happy with the large screen on my iPhone but it’s still nicer to use an iPad when not needing to solely carry a device in my pocket etc. They all come with their limits to some degree whatever our setup is on the move.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
I find the XS Max to combine mostly the best of my uses for an iPhone and iPad (aside from iOS and app development
that would help to take better use of the added screen real estate). Content is more immersive than even the Plus phones. My iPad was stolen quite a while back so the added screen size is highly beneficial.

Even with an iPad, it's far more portable and fits in my pockets. It isn't too big for me personally, but I hope in the future they get the price and weight down of these devices. Even the XR weighs a bit more than the 6S+ and 7+.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?

Yes and no, I used zoomed screen mode on my 6S and still do on my XR, but I love the bigger screen of my XR, I find the Plus or Max too big however.

But I think Apple should still offer an updated SE, although the X and XS I guess are their new smaller phones? I appreciate people love big phones and people love small phones, sadly for fans of small phones your options seem to be getting more limited by the year :(
Tech should offer devices for all tastes, not force those to change who don’t want to..

I’ve been using my XR more wince I got it over my 9.7” iPad Pro, where as when I only had my 6S 4.7” I tended to use my iPad more when at home.

It’s what I wanted to do really, rely less on an iPad, I kinda want to reduce the tech I use in my life haha, but I do still need a new computer hmm..

I personally think apple could launch a 5” to 5.2” iPhone with Face ID and the guts of the iPhone 8. Use a Liquid Retina LCD screen and bezelless design, that would keep a lot of small phone fans happy I think?

Last edited:

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Years ago when I couldn't afford both a phone and laptop I opted for a big phone. Seemed sensible and I secretly wanted a big phone anyway so I justified it that way. Now with a laptop at home I see a big phone as to much to carry around. So I'm in the group liking small phones and wish there were more selection. My main need when out and about is calls/texts. So smaller is good and much more comfortable to carry in a shirt pocket anyway. And less expensive! Win/Win!

Reactions: subjonas

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I was legitimate thinking about carrying one of those new iPads with LTE around with me in my jacket inner pocket. I love big screens on the go. I used to hate big phones but after I bought the 6 Plus I was converted...

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
I have my own website and viewing figures show almost 50% of people visit on their phone and that is to buy a musical instrument. I think that for lots of people, their phone is their only personal computer device, so they will want as large a screen as possible.

People on this forum will not be representative. I am sure we all have multiple devices to use, so it then comes down to personal preference balancing convenience of holding/carrying against convenience of viewing and facilities.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
I use my 8+ as my "most mobile device" when I'm away from my IPP 11" or at home with the 12.9". In certain instances I'll connect the 8+ to a monitor & BT keyboard.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
I like smaller form factor with a bigger screen. Apple should have a model lineup something like:

iPhone Mini (aka SE 2) - 4.3" edge-to-edge LCD, Face ID, Silver/Space Grey/Rose Gold - $599
iPhone Classic - 4.7" edge-to-edge LCD, Face ID, Multiple colors - $699
iPhone Pro - 5.1" edge-to-edge OLED, Face ID, Silver/Space Grey/Rose Gold - $899
iPhone Pro Max - 5.8" edge-to-edge OLED, Face ID, Silver/Space Grey/Rose Gold - $999

Reactions: bluecoast

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I like smaller form factor with a bigger screen. Apple should have a model lineup something like:

iPhone Mini (aka SE 2) - 4.3" edge-to-edge LCD, Face ID, Silver/Space Grey/Rose Gold - $599
iPhone Classic - 4.7" edge-to-edge LCD, Face ID, Multiple colors - $699
iPhone Pro - 5.1" edge-to-edge OLED, Face ID, Silver/Space Grey/Rose Gold - $899
iPhone Pro Max - 5.8" edge-to-edge OLED, Face ID, Silver/Space Grey/Rose Gold - $999

Please can you run Apple’s iPhone product strategy division?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.