Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
The X/XS is just a bit bigger than the 4.7 inch iPhones but has. 5.8” screen. That’s the perfect size for people who don’t want a huge phone but still have a large display.

Reactions: larzy

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I was watching a TV show from 10ish years ago and someone pulled out the OG iPhone.

I couldn’t contain my laughter. You couldn’t pay me to use a phone that small today.

I imagine I’ll have the same reaction when I see an iPhone 5 in a few more years.

CritSwift

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
North Carolina
Ever since the 6+ was introduced, I've been hooked on large phones -- since I use my phone all the time, I like having more screen real estate.

Side notes:
  • Am male, 5'3", so pockets are "normal size" but my hands are small comparatively
  • During the few times I've tried to switch to Android, I always go big again
  • However, the 6+ was the first large phone I tried

Reactions: davedvdy

ThrowerGB

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?
Think about the audience Apple is addressing with each iPhone model. We're not all the same. We have different needs and preferences. For example, I'm an older person (with reading glasses) and can no longer read an iPhone screen unless it's one of the larger screens. I even use preferences to increase the standard font size. I'm happy with my iPhone 8 Plus. It fits nicely in any shirt or pants pocket I've ever had.
On the other hand, my wife (who is the same age and uses reading glasses) has an iPhone 7 and doesn't want me to upgrade it to a Plus size. My late thirties children use iPhone 8s even though I suggested the 8 Plus.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I’m still using my SE, and I love it. If Apple had released an XS Mini, I would have bought it. But the company offers nothing for people like me, so I didn’t buy a new iPhone. Maybe next year?

Me too - I simply won't have another new iPhone if they don't release something smaller than the XS again.

Frankly I'm glad to see they are having sales and trade-in offers and a touch of public heat and the like.

They've earned this reaction.
Not everyone is interested in very large and very expensive phones.

(and we don't want "old phones" as the solution for less expensive)

Make some new phones that are smaller and less expensive and capture all of us please.

Maybe I don't matter to them yet, but they purport to be all about services revenue now (and moving forward) and if they lose me from iOS, they likely lose me as a customer completely.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t think I could go caseless, so worried about dropping the phone.

That’s one of the great things about small one-handed phones, in particular the 4/5/SE’s boxy design—they’re designed to be held and used in the hand with a secure grip. This greatly decreases the need for a case. As soon as a phone gets any bigger than the SE, you have to start using gravity to balance it in your hand while you use it, greatly increasing the possibility of accidental drops.

I always used/use my 4s, 5s, and SE iPhones case-less and never had any drops/breakage. I used a 6s plus for awhile and dropped it on more than one occasion. Thankfully I had a case on it. I was so fed up with its large size after a few months, I sold it and went back to my old 5s. Can’t express the relief I felt going back to a one-hande phone. Now I’m on the SE and have zero interest in a newer phone these days because every single phone on the market is too big.

MacCheeseLai

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2014
LLLLLAAAA
I like my big phone, my eyes aren’t so great so it’s nice to use a phone without having to reach for my glasses. I look at my mom’s 6s and think “damn, the screen is so small, even the home button seems small”. If the max & + phones stay the same size and don’t get any bigger that would be nice.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Think about the audience Apple is addressing with each iPhone model. We're not all the same. We have different needs and preferences. For example, I'm an older person (with reading glasses) and can no longer read an iPhone screen unless it's one of the larger screens. I even use preferences to increase the standard font size. I'm happy with my iPhone 8 Plus. It fits nicely in any shirt or pants pocket I've ever had.
On the other hand, my wife (who is the same age and uses reading glasses) has an iPhone 7 and doesn't want me to upgrade it to a Plus size. My late thirties children use iPhone 8s even though I suggested the 8 Plus.

I’ve always been curious about this for people who have reading glasses but still can’t clearly see their phone text so then consequently upsize their phone: rather than get a bigger phone and enlarge the font (so that one can see the same amount of content on screen) isn’t it easier to just get stronger reading glasses? As someone who doesn’t wear reading glasses, I really don’t know and am genuinely curious. Or is it a matter of not wanting to use reading glasses? That would make more sense.

Also, not sure if the original poster is calling for small phones to come back and replace large phones, or for small phones to come back alongside large phones, but either way the large phone folks have won! Let small phone folks vent a little. We are dying—let us lash out.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i visited a long list friend who had an iPhone 6.0
the phone was really small. Nice size factor tho as it fit perfect as a hand held

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
While I’m glad Apple is offering big phones to those who want them I don’t like that they no longer offer up to date smaller and lighter models that are also easier to use one handed.

rant/
I also don’t get those who feel the X/Xs are the same size or just a “little bit” bigger than the 6/6s/7/8. There is a greater difference in both size/volume and weight between the 6 and the X as there was between the 5s and the 6! At least the 6 was thinner than the 5s, the X is bigger in every way. Do they consider the 5s and 6 the same size? ;) While it looks more similar in size it really isn’t. Maybe they have never held a 6 and an X at the same time.
/rant

Reactions: turbineseaplane

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The X/XS is just a bit bigger than the 4.7 inch iPhones but has. 5.8” screen. That’s the perfect size for people who don’t want a huge phone but still have a large display.
This is what I thought, then my wife got the XR and hated every second of it. Instead of dropping $1000, she switched to a smaller Android device for a lower sum and is much happier.

Apple lost two customers after that. Too bad.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
This is what I thought, then my wife got the XR and hated every second of it. Instead of dropping $1000, she switched to a smaller Android device for a lower sum and is much happier.

The XR is bigger than the xS in every way.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I wasn’t going to but I did anyway, bought an Xs max. Churn is the name of the game.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
i shouldn't have to spend $1000 to get a smaller phone than the $750 iPhone XR.

There should absolutely be a smaller, affordable upgrade for an iPhone 6s, iPhone 7 user. There just isn't now.

The best option in that case would be the iPhone 8. It still has the same processor as the X (A11).

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Subjective of course. My subjective opinion is depending on the viewing conditions the differences will not be noticeable vs a slight difference.

No the infinite blacks make a huge difference in videos and games. Text is sharper as well. I can easily tell the difference.

Reactions: davedvdy

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?

I still have an SE, but in preparation for large phones, I carry a tape measure with me when I go shopping for clothes to make sure that the the front pockets of all clothing that I buy can comfortably handle a phablet.

I'm also taking drugs which promise to increase the size of my hands.

(OK, I'm just kidding.)

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
While I’m glad Apple is offering big phones to those who want them I don’t like that they no longer offer up to date smaller and lighter models that are also easier to use one handed.

rant/
I also don’t get those who feel the X/Xs are the same size or just a “little bit” bigger than the 6/6s/7/8. There is a greater difference in both size/volume and weight between the 6 and the X as there was between the 5s and the 6! At least the 6 was thinner than the 5s, the X is bigger in every way. Do they consider the 5s and 6 the same size? ;) While it looks more similar in size it really isn’t. Maybe they have never held a 6 and an X at the same time.
/rant

Because they are just a little bit bigger, You might want to check the dimensions again. The 6 is much closer in size to the X in height/width than the 5s is to the 6. It's not even really that close.

The X is only 5.3 mm taller than an iPhone 6, while the 6 is about 13 mm taller than a 5s.
The X is less than 4 mm wider than a 6, while the 6 is about 10 mm wider than a 5s.

As you can see, the difference is considerable. I don't think depth or weight matter much to most people as they really don't affect handling or pocketability (much).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.